Start by marking “The Pocket and the Pendant (Max Quick, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Pocket and the Pendant (Max Quick, #1)

The Pocket and the Pendant (The Max Quick Trilogy #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  586 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Max Quick is a pickpocket, a vagabond, an orphan, and a thief. Even so, nothing about him seems particularly special . . . until one day when time mysteriously stops. Suddenly, nearly everyone in the world is frozen in time—except for Max.

Now Max must journey across America to find the source of the Time-stop. Along the way, he meets others who aren't suspended in time, li
Published April 26th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Pocket and the Pendant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pocket and the Pendant

Mark
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it, so I kinda like it :) Hope you do as well!!!!
Sarah-Jane
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"On March 14, at exactly 1:59 in the afternoon, the world stopped."

From that first sentence, THE POCKET AND THE PENDANT grabs you and barrels you along a story that's fantastic in every sense of the word. It's funny, exciting, and fascinating, with tantalizing dollops of historical detail interwoven in a highly modern sci-fi adventure. While it's riveting and complex, it's also a touching story of friendship and finding one's own capacity in a truly unexpected manner. A real treat.
Whatchyareading
My relationship with this book is long and sordid. Reading through the advance copy was not the first time I’ve read the story of orphan Max Quick, his lost memory and the day time stopped.

Or, well, technically it was the first time I’d read it.

Max Quick – The Pocket and the Pendant was, originally, a self-published book. And, after a set of events that I won’t go into here, it was also a podcast. Or a podiobook. Which is how I first discovered it, two years ago.

Max Quick is a middle grade book,
Michael Tritter
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while we all come across a book that speaks, and speaks to us individually, in a way that goes beyond the characters and events inside the story; when the story becomes more than a story. Like Lord of the Rings, A Wrinkle in Time, even The Da Vinci Code, there are times when the story becomes a vehicle for thinking about who we are, what defines us, where we come from and where we are going, and Max Quick is just such a story. I'm not saying that I now believe exactly what author ...more
Erin
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
This is not my usual genre, so it was with some hesitation that I picked up this book. A friend had recommended it as being in the vein of Harry Potter and thought I should give it a read. While I am clearly not the target audience for this story, which I think would be pre-teens and teens, I quite enjoyed The Pocket and the Pendant. In fact, it was a lot of fun to step away from all the serious, sober fiction I normally read and escape to the fantastical and energetic world of this book. I tore ...more
Cognizance LeeLo
Mar 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Cognizance by: mark jeffrey
A clever adventure that takes you on a wild and mystical ride! The beginning is a little slow to start, but once you are immersed in the world of The Pocket you will find it hard to put the book down!

I enjoyed the creative way Jeffrey connects old tales and new concepts to explain the fundamentals of life itself. It is a story for all ages to enjoy.

I look forward to reading the sequel, The Two Travelers.
Philippa
This is a book packed full of adventure and neat concepts. Like the hero, the story starts off with a bang and keeps going at a ripping pace. I finished this book at the same speed because I couldn't wait to see what happened next.
Jeffrey is not afraid to think big, and the scope of the Pocket and the Pendant certainly gives him lots of room to explore in the sequels.
Lawrence Leach
Dec 15, 2010 marked it as to-read
I love everything Mark does.
Phillip
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A great piece of fiction that as a bonus is also young enough to be juvenile fiction (so my kids can read it too). Great world, great plot lines, cool characters. Well done Mark!
Hillary DePiano
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
I read a lot of YA and when you read as much YA as I do everything starts to feel a little stale and familiar even if there is some new twist or gimmick. Familiar isn't a bad thing sometimes, but when I actually find something that shows me something truly new or unexpected, it deserves a special note. I really liked this book. One of the biggest appeals of Max Quick for me was its unpredictability. I'm not talking about twists but instead the way familiar tropes (aliens, time travel, mysterious ...more
Erik Wittmer
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grades
This book was recommended to me by Mrs. Susan Dee, 5th grade language arts teacher in the snowy state of Maine. Our classes connected on World Read Aloud Day and we both did some book talks. This book came up and I immediately ordered it from Amazon.

My students are in the middle of PSSAs which gave me time to do nothing but walk around and read and keep an eye on those that need to have eyes on them. I just finished this book because it was mind boggling. Every time I thought I had it figured o
Mohamed Doucore
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like Max Quick and the Pendant because it deals with aliens and ancient artifacts.For example, on page 189 Max finds out that he's Niburian not human and is 12,000 years old.Another example is on page 264 when Jonny Siren is granted immotality but is taken away.One challenge was that it has hard word that are hard to pronouce like Niburian and a vagabond.One charecter that intersted me was Jonny Siren.He interst me because he was a evil man in search of Niburian artifacts and in the end he end ...more
Collette
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Loved it! It's so refreshing to see new ideas in children's science fiction. The plot is somewhat based on science, and the mini-societies and alliances that come into existence when time stops are exactly in line with human behavior. This book offers lots of fast-paced action and a solid plot for any sci fi lover, and I can't wait for the sequel!
Michelle
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I feel like I put this on my list to read forever ago! But, our library just barely got it in. It was a fun read - even with all of the "yup, I saw that comin'"! Marissa liked it too, and I love to talk books with her.
Zach
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this was a the best book i have ever read and i reccomended this book for the maine student book award. it was by far the greatest book and anybody into time stops and ancient teleporters should drop whatever there reading and pick this one up from your liberary.
Kaethe
May 02, 2011 marked it as to-read
I have no opinion on the book yet, but the ubiquitous ad is creeping me out. Max Quick Journeys to the Uncanny Valley is what they should call that picture. Those faces on the cover are horribly wrong in some way.
Austin
Oct 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the podiobook version of this book -- my favorite to date!!!! Then I bought the hardcopy on Amazon and re-read it recently. Both are different experiences but each great in their own way. Except now I hear Mr. Jeffery's voice in my head whenever i read the book ;)
Ronald Schoedel
This was a great audio book. I listened to it while biking to and from work and it kept me captivated the entire time.
Noel Romey
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, scifi
I read this book when it came out as a podcast audiobook. I don't remember much about it, perhaps I should read it again, but I do remember I liked it.
Amy-chan
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book. He had a lot of interesting concepts in the plot of the story. I love the characters.
Barbara Monk
This book I would recommend to anyone. It's fantastic. Me and my son devoured it in under a day! I want more by this author.
Tom
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I hardly ever give anything 5 stars. This was an awesome book about time stopping. It possibly has my vote for this year's MSBA book.
Lindsay
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Oh, wow! What a great book to start off the series! I can't wait to read the second book.
Zurg
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great Book has funny terms that make you want to read it all. It goes by in a Woosh. A very good read. With very good charecters.
sehrlich
Dec 14, 2010 marked it as to-read
I can't wait to read this book by Mark Jeffrey!!!
Camden
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was great. I mean who wouldnt like this?
Camille
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, fantasy
Clever, fun. Nice for intermediate reader (and beyond) who like fantasy but are not ready to tackle the 800 page books yet.
Allison Armstrong
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-books
I think fifth grade boys will really like this book. It has a lot of action and the whole time thing is interesting to think about.
Timmy
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing

That is a great book
Grace
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fun and adventurous
Like Live Music 1 7 Feb 15, 2008 10:15AM
  • 7th Son: Deceit (7th Son, #2)
  • The Case of the Singing Sword
  • Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era
  • Nina Kimberly the Merciless
  • Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana (Book 1)
  • Earthcore
  • Heaven
  • South Coast (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper)
  • Eden
  • The Immortals
  • Singularity (The Archon Sequence #1)
  • Murder at Avedon Hill
  • Chasing the Bard (Fey #1)
Mark Jeffrey is the author of the young adult Max Quick Series (maxquickseries.com). He is also the author of the ARMAND PTOLEMY thriller series and AGE OF AETHER, a steampunk adventure-romance.

His first podiobook, MAX QUICK: THE POCKET AND THE PENDANT, has received over 2.4 million downloads to date. He has co-founded four internet companies and written four novels.

Mark has been named as one of H
More about Mark Jeffrey

The Max Quick Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Two Travelers (Max Quick, #2)
  • The Bane of the Bondsman (Max Quick, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)