Start by marking “Six Miles to Charleston: The True Story of John and Lavinia Fisher” as Want to Read:
Six Miles to Charleston: The True Story of John and Lavinia Fisher

Six Miles to Charleston: The True Story of John and Lavinia Fisher

(Murder & Mayhem)

In 1819, a young man outwitted death at the hands of John and Lavinia Fisher and sparked the hunt for Charleston's most notorious serial killers. Former homicide investigator Bruce Orr follows the story of the Fishers, from the initial police raid on their Six Mile Inn with its reportedly grisly cellar to the murderous couple's incarceration and execution at the squalid Ol ...more
Published December 3rd 2010 by History Press (SC)

To ask other readers questions about Six Miles to Charleston, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Miles to Charleston

Michele
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book sounded interesting so I bought it. It was one of the worst written books I have ever read. Where was the editor? Random people introduced every chapter. I think the author knew his writing was confusing because he would say 'Remember in Chapter 3 blah blah blah??" That was so irritating. Thankfully this book was short. The pictures were also somewhat interesting.
Diane
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went into this book expecting more of a ghost story, not an attempt to rehabilitate the Fishers' memory. Orr paints an interesting picture of the early America in 1819-1820 - the land was still wild and life was very uncertain. John and Lavinia Fisher ran an inn, which catered to weary travelers on the outskirts of Charleston, SC. After two travelers, David Ross and John Peoples, were robbed, the Fishers and their associates were implicated in the crimes. Robbery was a very serious charge that ...more
Kayla
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
I give it three stars because of the amount of work that went into research of this book. It’s hard to argue with the facts that Orr presents in defense of both John and Lavinia Fisher. By the end of the book I found myself feeling for the couple and what was done to them so long ago. What I didn't enjoy about the book was just how clinical it felt. Though learning a lot about our past, I had to force myself to finish the book.
Roslyn Torella
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you ever take a tour in Charleston, SC you will likely hear the tale of John and Lavinia Fisher a pair murderous innkeepers. Not only does this book debunk the tale but it also gives the reader an insight to early American "justice". This is a quick and must read for those who love history and crime stories. The book is well researched.
Quinn Strange
Jun 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book is confusing as hell and the editors should be embarrassed. I have absolutely no idea what it's even talking about.
Tina Kinney
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tina-s-books
Have you ever read a book in one sitting? I did! It was this book. Granted, the book is not exceedingly long at 125 pages, but the content was so engaging.

When I first moved to Charleston, South Carolina six years ago, one of the first things I learned about was the legend of Lavinia Fisher. Some claim Lavinia Fisher and her husband John Fisher were convicted mass murderers, making Lavinia the first female serial killer in the United States.

Legend has it, John and Lavinia owned an i
Brian Wisti
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating history marred by poor editing

The story of John and Lavinia Fisher seems much different than the legend. More interesting, too. Maybe not serial killers, but instead victims of corrupt local politics. The details kept fascinating me more as I read. The writing could be more disciplined — it wandered from the point several times — but the historical details stuck in my head more than the style. I’d probably mention this book to anyone who brought up Lavinia Fisher.
Caro Newell
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is a mess. The story is all over the place, constantly asking the reader if they remember information from a previous chapter or stating that there will be more on this subject later in the book. The writing itself struggles as well with sentences left incomplete and descriptions like “six feet tall, tall” which made it difficult to stay in the story. I’m only giving it two stars because I find the subject matter interesting but I certainly hope there are better accounts out there.
Wesley Salen
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well research and well written

This book offers a well researched and well written account of the facts surrounding Lavinia Fischer and her husband. This is a traumatic story that brings to light just how radically time can skew the truth
Jaimie Duplain
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Started a little slow but it picked up. Sad how some folks acted back.then over land and what lengths they went to to get land. If you like history then this is definitely a read for you. This couple had suck devotion to each other!
Melrose
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a very interesting book. I think the author does a good job of reviewing the actual accounts of the incidents involved and piecing together what really happened. It shows how history can be twisted by the lapse of time, fictionalized accounts, and word of mouth.
Heather Truckenmiller
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I'm not sure why they bother with the ghost story, the real story is much more fascinating. The author is inexperienced & could have benefited from a better editor, but his obvious research made it a good read nonetheless.
Celeste
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
My favorite Charleston ghost story debunked. It's like finding out there is no santa claus.
Beth
Mar 24, 2011 marked it as unfinished
Start at chapter 4 when re-starting.
Scarlett Jones
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Lots of historical documents from the time line of the case, interesting.
Hillary Dodd

• 80629 a Mengele Experiment
  • The Famine Ships: The Irish Exodus to America
  • Evil Intentions
  • The Dead Summer
  • Note to Self: 30 Women on Hardship, Humiliation, Heartbreak, and Overcoming It All
  • Forever And Five Days
  • Life in the Balance: A Physician's Memoir of Life, Love, and Loss with Parkinson's Disease and Dementia
  • Orangutan: A Memoir
  • Titanic: Destination Disaster : The Legends and the Reality
  • The Good-Bye Door: The Incredible True Story of America's First Female Serial Killer to Die in the Chair (True Crime)
  • Be Happy or I'll Scream!: My Deranged Quest for the Perfect Husband, Family, and Life
  • Can't Is Not an Option: My American Story
  • True Crime in the Civil War: Cases of Murder, Treason, Counterfeiting, Massacre, Plunder & Abuse
  • Smithsonian Civil War: Inside the National Collection
  • The Surgeon's Wife
  • Shaggy Muses: The Dogs Who Inspired Emily Brontë, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Emily Dickinson, Edith Wharton, and Virginia Woolf

Bruce Orr is a retired criminal investigator turned author.After retiring Mr. Orr combined his love for investigation and research with his love for history and writing. As a hobby he began researching local Lowcountry legends and as a result of that endeavor signed with The History Press Publishing Company. His first book, "Six Miles to Charleston" is an in-depth look at the facts behind the lege

Murder & Mayhem (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Murder & Mayhem in Essex County