Start by marking “El libro de los amores ridículos” as Want to Read:
El libro de los amores ridículos

El libro de los amores ridículos

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  23,412 ratings  ·  1,200 reviews
Las narraciones que componen EL LIBRO DE LOS AMORES RIDÍCULOS son las más alegres, las más seriamente desvergonzadas y las más reflexivamente divertidas de toda su obra. La farándula de personajes hedonistas que desfila ante los ojos del lector, todos ellos en busca de los juegos múltiples y contradictorios de la amistad, el amor y el sexo, y envueltos en un mundo lleno de ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by TusQuets (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about El libro de los amores ridículos, please sign up.
Simon Actually, the stories were first published in three volumes in 1963, 1965 and 1969. In 1970 Kundera selected 7 of the 10 previously published stories …moreActually, the stories were first published in three volumes in 1963, 1965 and 1969. In 1970 Kundera selected 7 of the 10 previously published stories and republished them as one book.(less)

·  23,412 ratings  ·  1,200 reviews

Start your review of El libro de los amores ridículos
Mutasim Billah
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: czech
“We pass through the present with our eyes blindfolded. We are permitted merely to sense and guess at what we are actually experiencing. Only later when the cloth is untied can we glance at the past and find out what we have experienced and what meaning it has.”

One of Kundera's earlier works, Laughable Loves is a collection of short stories that illustrate familiar themes of sexual politics and seduction using his trademark dark humor. Each story is marked with a stroke of tragic nuance from the
Steven Godin
This collection of seven artful stories which were rich in philosophising, eroticism, cynicism and humour, really does show Milan Kundera at his very best. And of the six Kundera books I've now read I'd say this was almost on a par with my favourite, Immortality. Generally speaking, these stories mostly deal with the consolation of middle-class Central European men, who, fueled by desire and sometimes despair, are out to impress each other by seducing women, both the adoring young, and the lustf ...more
mehri
how can somebody be so clever to create stories from things we don't think would deserve to be a story!
Ben
Short stories from Milan Kundera, author of The Unbearable Lightness of Being. These stories are fiction, of course, with the subject matter typically dealing with romance, sex, and relationships. It's an easy, enjoyable read, but there's a genius to it, in that the stories contain so many lessons, that if they weren't fictionalized, the book could appropriately be labeled self-help, philosophy, or psychology. (Most of the stories contain some combination of the three.) In this sense, Kundera re ...more
Natanya Epstein
Kundera is a beautiful writer but that is my only positive comment on the matter. This man is so far beyond sexist, there is no word for it. HIs depictions of women are not necessarily filled with sexist language - they are just totally devoid of respect. Kundera seems incapable of seeing women as anything other than sex objects. Every story, every female character, and every male character revolve around the same abusive sex game of cat-and-mouse. It gets old.
Ali
I like Kundra because he doesn’t imprison me in a fastened frame of a classic narration. Reading Kundra seems as if you meet an old friend after ages in a cafe shop, and while she/he relates her / his life story, you zip your coffee, listen to the cafe music, hear some chats and laughs at nabouring tables, look at the peddlers at side walk, or a passing tramvay, … as life is flowing around, ….

کوندرا را به این دلیل بسیار دوست دارم که مرا در چهارچوب بسته ی یک روایت زندانی نمی کند. خواندن کونرا مث
W.D. Clarke
Aug 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, re-read
I dunno. I remembered liking this more, but it is a tell-tale sign when I can't remember anything else about a book—as the really good'uns sear themselves into your poetic memory, don't they, so that you have to carry them with you, like it or lump it, through time (it does get kinda heavy, then, don't it, reelin' in the years).

But with this one? No, nothing, as re-reading each story was like an entirely new encounter. And an encounter, not a love story—and yes, Kundera is one of my top faves,
Eszter
May 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
well, though i'm currently not quite winning at the game of love, it's some consolation to know that the rest of the human race is losing right along with me. and isn't that just hilarious??

Sheena
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Little white lies turn into existential crises, and hefty debates arise between knowledge and truth: It's Kundera. As one of his earlier works, Laughable Loves is more simple and honest than others that I've read, and therefore extremely subtle its nuances. It's not as beautiful as his later writing, but there's beauty in that.

Kundera is a master at pointing out the flaws in intimate relationships that nobody ever cares to mention: the love of impossible imperfections, the desire to cheat (and t
Junta
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who've already read some Kundera
Laughable Loves is one of Kundera's earlier works, published in 1969, and like many of Kundera's novels (this one is a collection of seven short stories), love, relationships and sex are masterfully dissected. Sexual attraction is a major theme in this collection - we see men and women weave their way through complex erotic games, reaching out for success; for maturity; for a rekindling of youth; for social status; for love...

I found the first story weak but the quality picked up thereafter. I w
Sumirti Singaravel
I never expected that this book by Kundera would be so captivating, that it almost transfixed me in one place for one whole night and left me laughing. Human relationships, its intricacy and playfulness along with the subsisting absurdity which almost always creeps in, is excellently portrayed by Kundera. There is a doctor who rejects the ostensible proposal of a beautiful nurse to sleep with him although he almost makes out with uglier and older women than her; a young doctor who perfectly cook ...more
Farhana
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Life is often brutal and humiliating; it is often blasphemous, funny, irritating."

At least not meeting a book in the wrong time is as equally important as not to meet a person in the wrong time : )
Monica
Aug 25, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Skeevy misogyny and pseudo-intellectual condescension wrongly marketed as heavy, ~masculine wisdom; an all-access pass to the whinging of desperate man-children, akin to a reddit thread you wish you hadn't expanded. Come on, fellow reviewers, you're better than this. Don't praise Kundera just because you think you should.
El
My cover has a naked blue chick on the front.

So, I actually finished this book about two days ago. I never came to write a review. There's no good reason for my delay. I had time to sit and reflect; I had time to sit and write, but I sort of just shut down about the whole thing.

Kundera managed to leave me a little cold here. Maybe it's the weather, all the snow and wind and stuff, all of which I normally love. Our dog likes to roll around on her back in the snow. I like that too. This stuff is l
Krista Claudine Baetiong
Laughable Loves is a collection of seven short stories written between 1958 and 1968 in Bohemia (a region in present-day Czech Republic), and takes on a dark humor approach to love, relationship, and the actions people make that oftentimes result to tragically comic consequences.

(For a summary of each story, click this Wikipedia link)

I would say Milan Kundera is a prolific writer. He writes descriptively about his characters’ thought process and complex mind-game narratives, as evident in the sh
Sajid Ahmed
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
|| We pass through the present with our eyes blindfolded. We are permitted merely to sense and guess at what we are actually experiencing. Only later when the cloth is untied can we glance at the past and find out what we have experienced and what meaning it has.||

Written in a very humoristic and savage manner all the stories contain in it bear in itself a rather peculiar or paradoxical treatment.Whereas i have observed earlier that Milan kundera's writing reflects mostly upon sexual and erotic
Elena
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely a quick read yet very thought-provoking. It sort of makes you confront things you might otherwise think about, as well. He very much takes something, a topic, and expands on it very eloquently. What he does with the topics in the book really makes it a real emotional experience. If you have read The Unbearable Lightness of Being, like me, or any other book by Milan Kundera you really have to read this one.

Milan Kundera is fairly good at writing about emotional entanglemen
Sreyashi Ray
a brilliant blend of philosophy, humor and irony in simple language. Wonderful how Kundera portrays the pathos and tragedies of life through poignant sarcasm that makes one sigh yet with a smile of acknowledgement.
Mat
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The worth of a human being lies in the ability to extend oneself, to go outside oneself, to exist in and for other people"
Farhan Khalid
Experience

Can we glance at the past and find out what we have experienced and what meaning it has

Eccentricity

I lived like an eccentric who thinks that he lives unobserved behind a wall

The wall is made of transparent glass

Jokes

These days there's no time for jokes; these days everything is serious

Klara

I understood unmistakably that it wasn't within my power to remove the senseless gravity from the whole affair, and that I could dispose of it in only the one way: to blur the traces, to lure them aw
Rlk Kapitan
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kundera writes with an elastic quality that moves the work like a snapping waistband. I appreciate quite heartily the oddity of structure in “Symposium” and how it becomes successful at capturing a reader in spite of/because of this. Plus, with sentences as sublime as “Through the air floated only important words, and Flajsman said to himself that love has but one measure, and that is death. At the end of true love is death, and only the love that ends in death is love.” Or this: “However much h ...more
Venkat
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, eros
I bought this book near Colaba from a roadside hawker. It was an impulsive buy I just loved the cover art 'A nude woman covering herself with her hands'.

"How interesting is that picture!" I thought and immediately bought it.
Surprise!! the stories where are also of great quality and marked a delightful read. Previously my proxy-experience with Kundera's writing was the movie adaptation of "The unbearable lightness of being" (Which I must say does not have the book's playfulness) . But this partic
Sophie Nardi-Bart
Feb 20, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
so boring - Kundera is trying to be comedically self-aware and philosophically profound but is simply just a misogynist trying to pass off woman-hating blabbering as a deep and true portrait of the inner male psyche. maybe this is a true portrait of his inner psyche? which makes me like it even less. by the end, i thought i would die if i had to read one more sentence about the game of chasing women and getting them into bed or the importance of an attractive female body. We seriously don’t need ...more
Melika Rasti
As much as I read his book, more I am impressed by his thoughts and attitudes.. the way he writes is more than amazing and I don't know how to say how much I like him and his style and all his words and I don't know ..I love reading his books and I wish he just keeps on writing and writing and wrting.. I really wish to meet him .. such a far dream but I really wish to meet him..
Shelley
Jun 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I'd heard good things about this book, I couldn't get past the flagrant misogyny inherent in the text long enough to see them. It was so offensive I couldn't even finish the last quarter of the book.
Jenny
Jun 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Never managed to finish this book, as I found it uninspiring, boring, and littered with the sort of casual misogyny that's so common amongst male "intellectuals." Maybe I'll return to it later, but as of now it seems to drastically pale when compared to The Lightness of Being.
Shefali Deshpande
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
that last story did it for me. what a collection. nothing less than 5 stars definitely. if it were possible, definitely more. kundera you are brilliant. my eyebrows were constantly raising while I broke out into smiles involuntarily while reading this.
Amr عزت
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: قصة
"We pass through the present with our eyes blindfolded. We are permitted merely to sense and guess at what we are actually experiencing. Only later when the cloth is untied can we glance at the past and find out what we have experienced and what meaning it has."
.N.
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book from Kundera that I read. I absolutely loved the book; the absurdity of each story, his powerful storytelling skill and ...
N Perrin
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contains one of the best post-ironic coming of faith stories I've ever read

• Audience
  • Spalovač mrtvol
  • Kytice
  • Romeo, Julie a tma
  • Подозрительные пассажиры твоих ночных поездов
  • The Swell Season: A Text on the Most Important Things in Life
  • Closely Watched Trains
  • Moskoviidid (Loomingu Raamatukogu, #14-15/2020)
  • Povídky z jedné kapsy
  • Rozmarné léto
  • Poética musical
  • May
  • Pierre and Luce
  • Zahradní slavnost
  • Edison
  • Minu maailm. Seiklused ei hüüa tulles (Minu..., #135)
  • Romance pro křídlovku
Milan Kundera is a Czech and French writer of Czech origin who has lived in exile in France since 1975, where he became a naturalized French citizen in 1981. He is best known for The Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting, and The Joke.

Kundera has written in both Czech and French. He revises the French translations of all his books; these therefore are not considered tr

News & Interviews

“Yes, it's a well-known fact about you: you're like death, you take everything.” 369 likes
“A man is responsible for his ignorance.” 298 likes