Start by marking “On the Big White Oak” as Want to Read:
On the Big White Oak

On the Big White Oak

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Adam is a man who has everything: a great career, a happy marriage and visions of the family he always wanted. When the news of his wife's infertility leaves her heartbroken, he is helpless to save her from the despair she has wrapped herself in. Desperately trying to cope with the turn his life has taken, he makes a foolish decision that changes his life forever.

Marian,
Kindle Edition, New Edition (2), 260 pages
Published May 3rd 2014 by Corrine Coleman (first published December 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about On the Big White Oak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Big White Oak

Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: firstreads
I won this book from First Reads. Thank you!

When I entered this giveaway, I thought that the book sounded interesting, but had the potential to be too "mushy".

But what a book. About 3/4 of the way through I thought I had it figured out...but was I ever wrong! I loved the characters, their faults and strengths, their connections. I loved the storyline of true love, and how and when we find it, if ever. I loved how the unnamed character in the present looks to the past...from each of the characte
Tracy Strianese
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story of love, passion and heartbreak. There were so many twists that were anything but typical, and believable characters I loved despite their many flaws. This book will hook you in from the beginning, tug at your heartstrings, and make you want more!
Christie
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads-win
So first off, On the Big White Oak was sent to me free through Goodreads First Reads.

Secondly, there may be a need for a spoiler alert on this one. I never know but sometimes feel like I say too much when I review a book.

What a heart wrenching love story. Marian, Delia and Adam are caught up in a love triangle. Marian can't forget it, Adam refuses to acknowledge it, and Delia doesn't even seem to realize it.

For Marian, she and her cousin Delia's relationship growing up was second only to the one
Barbara  Lynn
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I received “On the Big White Oak” as a Goodreads giveaway and am so happy I received it!

On the Big White Oak is told through the eyes of an unnamed older woman to her therapist and is the story of Marian, Delia and Adam, starting from the time they were children and through their adulthoods.

Marian, a tomboy at heart, grows up best friends with Adam, the boy across the street, a boy she meets when she is just seven years old. They play together and grow up together, the very best of friends.

Ada
Alex Mueck
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
On the Big White Oak is a poignant work that sucks the reader into the inner lives of flesh and blood characters that you almost feel breathe beside you. They will haunt you long afterward, almost like intimate friends that passed through a meaningful passage of your life, but moved on leaving you both somehow enriched and gutted.

The story is enhanced with prose that amplifies the unrest and flows effortlessly winding the reader down it's river of love, deceit, sorrow, and new hope. Fresh with
Ariel
Dec 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Oh no, I wrote a review and then deleted it by accident.

Anyway, I could not put this down and finished it within 2 days. It is the perfect book for a few hours at the beach or a long car trip.

That being said, I found some of the grammar awkward or incorrect, and there were tons and tons of typos, which drove me crazy. However, the development of the story and characters definitely made up for it. I found myself extremely emotionally involved in this story despite never being in any of these sit
CodeRider1
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a tough one. I thought it was well written and well done. It's a story about love and life, regrets and heartache. It leaves you feeling like happy endings are a fairytale and that sadness, disappointment, and shattered dreams are the norm of life. A very moving albeit not uplifting story.

And don't bother to try and figure out how things are going to go along the way. You'll get it wrong.

Good read, just not a happy one.
NFLS
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I prepared to read this book through 6 hours flight, just to pass the time. But the book hooked me. The way it was written was different from the way I like. Although it was written in third person, I can easily understand the feeling of each character. It was not straight to the heart HEA, but I think it was a different kind of happy ending. And that last sentence was really open to so much of possibilities.
Laura Coleman
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved loved loved these characters. Even though the central theme, or issue, of children is not something that I would normally related to, I totally felt for everyone involved. Great story!

I also enjoy that the story was presented in a somewhat non-linear fashion, and from several difference perspectives.
Patricia
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I won my autographed copy of the book from Goodreads. I loved this book which was written from different characters perspectives. It was a very emotional story with love, lust, heartbreak and betrayal. And in the end a pleasant surprise.
Azalia Daniela
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: copy
Kshotwell
Nov 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club
Pass on this one. Poorly developed characters. Slow paced. Uses gimmicks to portray info . Very fast read. Unoriginal.
Cindy Sesto
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story.....I was so drawn in....could not put the book down...Cannot wait for the next novel!!!!
Tina
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was GREAT read! As a reader who is easily disappointed by typical endings, That was not the case with On the Big White Oak. It left me wanting more!!
Melissa
Jul 28, 2012
Samantha
Sep 11, 2012
Diana
rated it did not like it
Mar 23, 2016
Mar 10, 2016
Allison
Feb 14, 2012
Q&A with Corrine ...: Adam 2 9 Dec 05, 2011 10:20AM
Q&A with Corrine ...: IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK YET! 1 7 Nov 28, 2011 11:03AM
Q&A with Corrine ...: SPOILER FRIENDLY 1 7 Nov 28, 2011 10:57AM
  • The Wedding Dress: Masquerade Bride
  • Happy Now?
  • Very New Orleans: A Celebration of History, Culture, and Cajun Country Charm
  • Like Dandelion Dust / This Side of Heaven
  • A Man of Honor (First Responders #3)
  • A Thousand Sleepless Nights
  • A Kind of Judgment
  • The One Who Waits for Me
  • Guardian of Eden
  • A Rocky Mountain Christmas (Christmas, #2)
  • Joy Street
  • Spin the Plate
  • Finding Grace
  • The Upside of Down
  • Tales from the Pantry: Random Rants & Musings of a Stay-At-Home Mom
  • Horses Never Lie about Love: The Heartwarming Story of a Remarkable Horse Who Changed the World Around Her
  • The Broken Road
  • Norah: The Making of an Irish-American Woman in 19th-Century New York
Corrine is the author of novel, On the Big White Oak and the short story collection, Sitting with Gold. She has been writing since she was a young girl, finding inspiration in the people around her and the complexities of relationships, which have always interested her. She maintains a vast collection of poetry, stories and songs, claiming to write something every single day. She appreciates the i ...more
More about Corrine Coleman...