Start by marking “Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions” as Want to Read:
Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions

Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  8,483 Ratings  ·  361 Reviews
Enchantment, as defined by bestselling business guru Guy Kawasaki, is not about manipulating people. It transforms situations and relationships. It converts hostility into civility and civility into affinity. It changes the skeptics and cynics into the believers and the undecided into the loyal. Enchantment can happen during a retail transaction, a high-level corporate neg ...more
Published March 8th 2011 by Portfolio (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Enchantment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enchantment

Phil Simon
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
I agree with some of the two star reviews here. Yes, Enchantment contains some useful content but it's hard for me to believe that this is one of Guy's best books. Disclaimer: I received a free media copy. Much of the critical reviews point out similarities with Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People." I'd agree with those assessments and also think that much of the book relies upon sheer common sense.

It's also very broad but not very deep. I feel like this book could have been muc
Eugene Kok
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Kawasaki talks on how you engage and make every lasting impression on your boss, colleagues, clients or even friends. In all aspects of life. A great refresher, when you want to look at where a company is lacking to go forward. I really like the idea on "pre-mortem" that means that you have a team of people figuring out what went wrong before it actually happens.

I also like on he has a few interesting Japanese philosophy such as:
-Kanso - expressing things in plain and simple ways
-Fukinsei - sy
John Hibbs
May 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
When someone with Kawasaki's credentials writes a book on "Enchantment", I thought it would be a goldmine of insight -- after all, he helped spear-head one of the most enchanting products on earth (the Macintosh).

Imagine then my PROFOUND disappointment with a short, shallow collection of over-used advice and cliches. Most of the book consists of him *citing* other peoples' work and devoting one or two basic paragraphs to each tired concept.

There is NOTHING NEW here -- "be authentic"? Gee, THAT h
Eric
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The good
A few nuggets of insight around enchantment are scattered throughout the book. (I'm defining 'insight' as something the author brings to the table that you could not or would not have deduced on your own through common sense.) I took away about a dozen actionable bullet points (re: a startup). There were a few anecdotal stories that really helped characterize a point about enchantment.

The bad
It's really just another business book: written lightly, strangely organized, painfully shallow,
Cara
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
I was liking this book through the introduction and ch. 1, but ch. 2 (How to achieve Likability) really turned me off. Either he's saying we should calculatedly build a pretty, fake shell around ourselves to be likable, or we should change ourselves to become this way. Either way, I'm not cool with it.

Example advice:
- make "yes" your default answer to everything. Awesome! Let's get overcommitted and co-dependent!
- swear for effect according to his special little rules. Otherwise, use stupid puk
Elysa
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, marketing
Recently, I decided to stop reading marketing books because they all said the same thing. Had this book been written by anyone different or not pulled on my Apple fangirl cord I might not have read this book. I'm glad, however, that I decided to. This book is refreshing, a quick read, yet also one that keeps you thinking for a while. I actually gave myself several days to let it marinate before I wrote about it. After letting it digest for a few days I went back to revisited my underlines and sc ...more
Phyu Hninn Nyein
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is more like a detailed step-by-step instruction on how to charm others. I enjoyed the book for the most part, but I tend to learn and understand better from examples and case studies. This book has not too many of those.
Kurt Gielen
Mar 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
I have no idea how Guy got to where he is today, I'm sure he must have done some great things in the past, or have been at the right place at the right time.
So without any history, this is the first book I ever read from him and what a dissapointment.
I did know his alltop website and that's all I could think while reading this book: this is alltop in a book format.
He seems to have collected a whole bunch of little stories and facts and used a vague word as a title but also to be able to squeeze
Rachel Yong
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
While this was mostly a quick and agreeable read, I never really took to the word "enchantment," which, as you might guess, appears in this book about a thousand times.

A little too much of his personality came through for my liking, and he struck me as kind of immature and narcissistic (e.g. "bull shiitake" "orifices" and "Guy's Rules to this and that"). A lot of his advice & anecdotes seemed based on nothing more than the desire to show off (e.g. Richard Branson polished my shoes). Also, d
Keith Grimes
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Having just finished this book, I'm convinced that guy Kawasaki was under contract to het this -- or any -- book out. A book he probably didn't feel like writing, but had to.

What you'll find in this book is a bunch of pious platitudes so worn and tired that you'll laugh when you read them, or worse, curse the fact that you paid good money for them. It's basically a book filled with tautologies: Do the right thing, and you will enchant the world; Don't become too enchanted, lest you should be tak
Jessie Young
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book has a lot of interesting tid bits, but, for me, the concept of "enchantment" didn't really hold it all together. I appreciate that Guy Kawasaki's idea was to use a new word (thank god for no more books about 'engagement') but saying that meeting his wife and seeing an apple computer were comparable moments in his life seems silly to me. Also, if a life, such as Guy's, only has a few enchanting moments, it seems that perhaps the bar is too high. As marketers/business people, we can't al ...more
Greg Strandberg
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I only read the first 5 chapters or so of this book, but I liked it. It has good tips, but I decided to go head and take it back to the library. Most of the stuff I knew, or had an idea of. If you're just starting out with business or trying to get your online platform going, this book is good. If you've been doing stuff for awhile, it's probably not necessary.
Lucas
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Chapter 2: How to Achieve Likability
-Make crow's feet (real smile)
-Dress like a peer (of the person you're meeting)
-Perfect your handshake
-Use the right words (simple words, active voice, keep it short, use common/unambiguous analogies: war not sports)
-Accept others (everyone is better than you at something, people are more similar than different, people deserve a break (don't judge immediately))
-Get close (you tend to like the people you're around more)
-Don't impose your values
-Pursue and proje
Daniel Audet
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm looking forward to reading another entry into the book world from the legendary Guy Kawasaki. If you don't know who this man is I invite to find out. Guy is what you might call a marketer, one of his many world class skills, but really he's so much more than that in so many ways. From his critical part in the iPad revolution, with Apple, to his own company his story is a case study in success and this book "Enchantment" tells how and why. You can find Guy anywhere and everywhere on the web, ...more
Jon
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
I finished this book two weeks ago and have forgotten it already. It's vapid. Take this list of what Guy says you can do to "maximize" the "enchantment power" of your website:

Provide good content
Refresh it often
Skip the flash (and Flash)
Make it fast
Sprinkle graphics and pictures
Provide a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page
Craft an About page
Help visitors navigate
Introduce the team
Optimize visits for various devices
Provide multiple methods of access

None of these suggestions are bad, but several
John Britto
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
It is a quite good book. This book speaks about the different ways to enchant people in various places, especially in business in order to be more successful one should be trustworthy and likability, which can be easily achieved by enchantment. This author also speaks about to how to do enchantment in various ways like facial expressions, way of dressing, physical appearances, body languages, etc...
Todd Johnson
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was brilliant. I had only heard of Guy Kawasaki as I belong to the cult of Apple. And he is frequently mentioned in other business/marketing books I have read. The title is appropriate for the goal of any marketer is to achieve enchantment. The only drawback is that I enjoyed it so much I now am compelled to buy his other nine books. Drats!
Garth Moore
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: work, digital
Read it for some of the personal mindset habits to help make you a more social communicator. Always good tips from a master evangelist. Otherwise, this "enchantment" concept was a stretch and a bit lost on me. Grasshopper, you may not be able to grab the stone... maybe because there's no stone there.
Marlyn
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una muy buena lectura que da tips sobre como cautivar a las personas que pueden ser aplicadas bien sea en relaciones interpersonales o de negocios.

Esta es tan solo mi primera lectura. Como dice uno de las personalidades que aparece en el libro vale la pena leerlo cada vez que se emprende un nuevo negocio. So, nos vemos pronto Sr Kawasaki y desde ya ando buscando su otro libro.
Jonathan Torres
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was really disappointed by Guy on this one. Points were very basic and unoriginal. He basically took "how to win friends and influence people", and made it into his own version relating to business. He also seemed to have a lot of filler material - such as: Japanese wisdom words and definitions, irrelevant pictures, and personal testimonials.
Jose Antonio Del Pino
Guys Enchantment is a good read in general, with lots of helpful tips along the way. It is updated to modern times and I truely think that there are many things that you can apply on a day to day basis that Guy reminds us but are pretty much common sense. However, after reading Dale Carnegie, I cant but help to feel that I am having a deja vu with many of the ideas and advice in this book. ...more
Grigory
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
The books really teaches the same qualities which were taught in didactic literature 200 years ago (although luckily they didn't have twitter then). But I guess it's useful to remember it now and then.
Norbert
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very practical. I enjoyed all the advises and tips.
Jiwa Rasa
Apr 01, 2011 rated it liked it
seperti membaca buku How To Influence People versi baru
Anthony Michalski
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions
Enchantment is the culmination of Mr. Kawasaki’s life work. Between the covers of the book you will find the methods he used to help market the Macintosh. You will find what helps him launch new companies. You’ll see how ideas are taken from a person’s head into the “collective consciousness.”

You’ll find the heart and soul of Guy Kawasaki.

From achieving “likability” to using technology to how to enchant your boss, Mr. Kawasaki leaves no stone unturne
Jeremiah John
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book failed to enchant me. Perhaps I have a high bar, prose-wise, for enchantment. Perhaps I am not the target audience. Or perhaps the book rides on Kawasaki's reputation rather than its content. The book is a loosely organized series of maxims with supporting explanations and stories.

Throughout all of his advice, I can't help but think about the greasy-palmed corporate hacks on the other side of his advice: "Give for Intrinsic Reasons", "Bake a Bigger Pie", and "Default to Yes". This is g
Ahmed Shahin
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a great book that has many charming ideas. One idea that I liked the most is conducting the "Premortem" as part of the preparation for the launch. It is a good practice that has the goal of identifying and capturing potential future failures in early stage to prevent them and increase the likelihood of success after the launch. However, I was expecting something more in this book from Guy Kawasaki, the former chief evangelist of Apple and the author of great books such as Reality Check a ...more
Lone Wong
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-enrichment
I'm not trying to be criticism here. But the reason I pick up the book is because Guy Kawasaki was one of the famous and contemporary marketing gurus. And it caught up my curiosity to study the book that he wrote.

But the book I read here is total disappointment. The first few chapters start with what is the definition of enchantment and how to achieve likeability.

The book title is 'Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions'. But I don't find any point that author provided in
Fikah
I wanted to like this book, I really did, but I just couldn't.

Not one of the best non-fiction books I'd ever read.

Some points were missing explanations, I did not mean they had to be lengthy an all, in fact, there was a non-fiction I read previously, each chapter was short and brief, yet so concise and detailed.

This book failed to "enchant" me (excuse my pun).

And there were some points that were contradicting, in the end, I got even more confused. I did try and reread those parts, but failed to
Jorge Criado
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esperaba muy poco de este libro (como de la mayoría de libros de marketing, que repiten continuamente lo mismo), pero tiene consejos, por ejemplo, los de cómo hacer presentaciones, que me parecen verdaderamente útiles. También tiene otros que... bueno... Como ejemplo, el capítulo de encantar al jefe me ha dado la sensación de que viene a ser cómo hacer un peloteo profesional. Pero el balance ha resultado positivo.
Enchantment Copy Second Hand 1 13 Jan 05, 2013 06:52PM
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Fascinate: Unlocking the Secret Triggers of Influence, Persuasion, and Captivation
  • The Now Revolution: 7 Shifts to Make Your Business Faster, Smarter and More Social
  • Unleashing the Ideavirus: Stop Marketing AT People! Turn Your Ideas into Epidemics by Helping Your Customers Do the Marketing thing for You.
  • Evil Plans: Having Fun on the Road to World Domination
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Slide: ology: The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
  • Open Leadership: How Social Technology Can Transform the Way You Lead
  • Launch: How to Quickly Propel Your Business Beyond the Competition
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
I was born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1954. My family lived in a tough part of Honolulu called Kalihi Valley. We weren’t rich, but I never felt poor-because my mother and father made many sacrifices for my sister and me. My mother was a housewife, and my father was a fireman, real estate broker, state senator, and government official during his long, distinguished career.

I attended Iolani School where
More about Guy Kawasaki...

Nonfiction Deals

$11.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Sea Around Us
    $17.99 $1.99
“If you don't toot your own horn, don't complain that there's no music.” 11 likes
“• People deserve a break. The stressed and unorganized person who doesn’t have the same priorities as you may be dealing with an autistic child, abusive spouse, fading parents, or cancer. Don’t judge people until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes. Give them a break instead.” 9 likes