Start by marking “Rim of the Pit” as Want to Read:
Rim of the Pit

Hake Talbot

Rim of the Pit

(Rogan Kincaid #2)

"Written in 1944, this is a classic 'locked room' mystery in the tradition of John Dickson Carr, but this time the room is surrounded with snow. It features an amazing map of the crime scene" quoted from publisher's web site
Published January 1965 by Bantam Books (first published July 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Rim of the Pit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rim of the Pit

Michael Jandrok
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a bibliophile, I am always glad when an unexpected gem falls into my hands when I least expect it. Our local library does a used book sale once a year to raise funds for various literacy programs and general library upkeep. I always make a point to attend and stock up on cheap goodies. Every now and again, though, I stumble upon something noteworthy on the tables, as it was with this odd little find. What I ended up with was a 1944 first edition Simon & Schuster printing of Hake Talbot’s ...more
Gigi
When a book has been hailed as one of the best locked-room mysteries of all time, readers like me go in with high expectations. Rim of the Pit by Hake Talbot was indeed a very clever mystery filled with several puzzling impossible crimes (thus my rating of 4 stars), but I'm not sure I'd say it was one of the best books in the sub-genre that I've read.

Like many of the best "impossible crime" mysteries, supernatural-seeming elements set up a spooky backdrop (I noticed that some other Goodreads re
Bev
Mar 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vintage-mystery
The Rim of the Pit (1944) by Hake Talbot is a locked room mystery novel which has in the past been ranked as the second best locked room mystery of all time. Ranked second to the master of locked room mysteries John Dickson Carr's The Hollow Man. That being the case, I had fairly high expectations going in. After all, Carr is absolutely the best at this game and for Talbot to follow him that closely, this must be one humdinger of a story.

Well, it's pretty decent. Most of the positive points come
Riju Ganguly
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Setting:
New England wilderness, where a séance is taking place to “change the mind of a dead man”, while wind howls and snow smothers everything around to death.
The Events:
First the medium, who is also the owner of the place that had become the zone of contention, dies, apparently at the hands of her long-dead husband, whose departed soul was being approached during the séance.
She is followed by her husband who, until his death, appeared to have been possessed by the said long-dead first hus
Irfan Nurhadi
Rim of the Pit berada pada posisi #2 dalam daftar novel locked-room mystery terbaik dari hasil voting pada tahun 1981. Hal inilah yang membuat saya ngebet banget untuk membaca novel ini, sampai akhirnya tiba kesempatan yang sudah lama saya dambakan.

Overall, misteri dalam novel ini sangat kental unsur supranaturalnya. Mulai dari mind-reading psychic, seance pemanggilan arwah, penampakan arwah yang dipanggil, menghilangnya arwah tersebut, sampai pembunuhan yang hanya bisa dilakukan oleh seseorang
Dan
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite the forgotten classic some people seem to think it is but still a good book. Last chapter goes on way too long with two characters saying "no doubt you realized ____" back and forth to each other, which kinda takes some of the wind out of the ending's sails.
Seth Augenstein
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read - though the elaborate reveal is a bit silly at the end. But that's what you get within this sub- sub- genre.
Michael Larson
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Jackie Chan movies. I also love locked room murder mysteries. Now I will attempt to make a connection between these two interests of mine.

As I finished this book, I was pondering just what I liked about it. Sure, the exploration of spiritism and seances is interesting, if a bit didactic, and the setting and cast of colorful characters is also a lot of fun, even if the prose does sometimes show its age with a bit of sexism there and a dash of racism there. But the book didn't really elevat
Nancy
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a pleasure from the first sentence ("I came up here to make a dead man change his mind.") to the last ("So you finally got past the pink-silk-pantie stage."). Set in Maine in the dead of winter in 1944, it is an "impossible crime" in the style of john dickson carr--that is, things happen which seem to have to admit of no other than a supernatural explanation--then they're explained rationally. Also a couple of fun female characters, in the wise-cracking mode of the late 30s early 40 ...more
Ally Goodwin
REad this for classics book club...not sure how much discussion we'll have. it was okay. Guess i'm more of a gruesome mystery reader...like the CSI type stuff.
The author on the other hand; i could find very little information on. Found his real name, birth and death dates, that he was a well known magician in his time. his wife raised welsh corgies. so if anyone has any other info to share i would be glad to hear it.
Natt Cham
ไมผิดหวังทีไดอาน และไมควรพลาดสำหรับนักอานรหัสคดี

ชอบพลอต,เนือเีิืรือง และการเดินเรือง อานไปจนจบแลวยังเดาไมออกเลยวาจะเรืองจริงเปนยัีงไงและจะจบยังไง

เริมบทแรกๆ อาจจะตือๆ หนอย อาจเปนเพราะสำนวนแปลทำใหรูสึกอานไมคอยลืนไหล เขาไมถึงบรรยากาศ สภาพแวดลอมทีบรรยาย และอารมณของตัวละคร แตพออานบทตอๆ ไป กอานไดเรว

ถาหากวานำไปสรางเปนภาพยนตรนาจะสนุกกวาทีไดอานไป

Asnipiv
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very atmospheric novel....but rather disappointing as far as suspense is concerned.
March
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Most racist episode of Scooby-Doo ever.
Daniel