Start by marking “Stagioni diverse” as Want to Read:
Stagioni diverse

Stagioni diverse

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  141,221 Ratings  ·  3,252 Reviews
Un "quartetto" di racconti in bilico tra l'orrore e l'avventura, l'incubo e la fantasia.
Il riscatto di un uomo condannato ingiustamente per omicidio.
Il morboso rapporto tra un adolescente e un ex nazista.
Quattro ragazzini alla ricerca del cadavere di un coetaneo.
Una donna che partorisce in circostanze surreali.
Quattro storie da brivido, agghiaccianti e paradossali, ch
Paperback, Superbestseller, # 44, 587 pages
Published 2006 by Sperling Paperback (first published August 27th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Stagioni diverse, please sign up.

Freyja Vanadis When I was in junior high and high school, I would have read this book but it would have had to be without my parents' knowledge. It's not appropriate…moreWhen I was in junior high and high school, I would have read this book but it would have had to be without my parents' knowledge. It's not appropriate for junior high kids, and just barely for high school kids. King writes for adults, not kids.(less)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I'm going to try and do this book justice..but I know it's not going to happen so do me a favor, if you have never picked this book up just stop what you are doing and run get it.

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption:
This is perfection. At 101 pages Stephen King packed a story that stays with me forever. I've been a fan of the movie version since the first time I viewed it. I was so pissed when Forrest Gump beat it out as the Oscar winner for best picture that year. I raged..I've since calm
Ana
 photo 00 0 the shawshank redemption_zpstuxt3y5x.jpg

photo 0 stand by me movie_zpsaaskb3v6.png

Stephen King's best work. I dare anyone to say otherwise.
Fabian
Sep 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is closer to the EXCELLENT side of the King spectrum (THE GREEN MILE, CARRIE and THE STAND come to mind) than the MEDIOCRE side (INSOMNIA, BAG OF BONES). Yeah, these tales are familiar: three of the four seasons have become immortalized on celluloid.

Not until the last Author's Note do his intentions and his themes finally converge. He wrote "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption", "Apt Pupil", "The Body" & "The Breathing Method" as unpublishable novellas right after the completion
Ginger
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great compilation of short stories by Stephen King! FANTASTIC!!

I knew going into this book that I’ve seen movies for two of the stories. I thought, “Since I’ve seen the movies, do I need to read the actually book?”

And that’s a resounding YES. A big HELL YES!

1st story: Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption

I’m sure most of us have seen this movie at least once or 50 times in your life. The book is so well done. There were subtle differences in the book vs the movie but it wasn’t enough
Carol
Well......WOW! These four LONG-short stories are ALL fabulous!

RITA HAYWORTH AND SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION - 5 Stars

"Get busy living or get busy dying."

Everyone has probably seen the movie adaptation or read the book by now and knows the story about the wrongful imprisonment of banker Andy Dufresne, the horror of "the sisters" and his best friend at Shawshank Red, but if you haven't, you are so fortunate to have this amazing read ahead of you.

The novel provides a bit more detail here and there abo

Nayra.Hassan
الرواية الأمريكية الوحيدة التي قرأتها وسط الامريكيين! ! و هذا ريفيو ليوضح ظروف قراءة الرواية و ملحق به ريفيوهات مفصلة لكل قصة

لقد اصطحبت هذه الرواية المحظوظة 🎃مع كتابين آخرين في رحلة اوروبية ادخرت لها طويلا في عام 2010 ..و كفرد أصيل في الطبقة المتوسطة كان السبب دورة دراسية قصيرة لزوجي بإيطاليا ..و لظروف سرعة التأشيرة. .اخذناها من التشيك لذا كان أمامنا رحلة طويلة بالقطار عبر ثلاث بلاد ذهابا و ايابا.. ..و لهذا اسعد و قلبي يطرب بالطبع..
و في رحلة العودة احتلت مكاني بجانب النافذة في الكابينة المغلقة
Raeleen Lemay
Finished Sept 2017
I FINALLY FINISHED! I definitely think the last two novellas were easier to fly through than the first two (particularly Apt Pupil), but overall they were all just good. I enjoyed them, but I can't really rave about any of them. I also read the afterword that King wrote, and it was such a fun little tidbit that I think I want to read On Writing now because his insights about writing were so interesting!

original review from Aug 2016
I've only actually read the first two stories i
Glenn Sumi
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I like waiting a few days before reviewing a book, just to see how it’s taken up residence in my mind and imagination. Some books stay with me clearly even months later; others start to fade as soon as I turn the final page (if not before).

Stephen King’s Different Seasons is a fascinating case, because I got to see how one story haunted me while I went on to the next.

Published in 1982, it was King's first book of non-genre fiction. He made his name writing horror (Carrie, ‘Salem’s Lot, The Shini
Andrew Smith
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
It's definitive, Stephen King is not just a writer of horror and fantasy. In truth, up to a few years ago I was convinced he was a horrormeister pure and simple. At this point a friend suggested I try out his time travel epic 11/22/63. I was cured. I loved it and subsequent forays into King’s extensive catalogue have shown me the range of the man’s work.

I’ll comment individually on the tales but the common element, the outstanding take-away for me is simply the realisation that here’s the evide
Algernon
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014

I’m not exactly a fan of Stephen King. I could say he is a victim of his own popularity: I’ve seen so many of the movie adaptations from his novels, I don’t feel the need to check out the book versions. And the first book of his that I’ve read almost 30 years ago is The Stand , which started with great storytelling and compelling characters and devolved later into self-indulgent filler and confusion. So, it’s been too long since I put him on the backburner, mislabelling him as a commercial hack
Councillor
Who said Stephen King only wrote horror? "Different Seasons" is a mix of all the genres - Young Adult, Mystery, coming-of-age ... but no horror. If you want to read King at his finest, then read this.

"Different Seasons" is a collection of four novellas, each of which he has written after the conclusion of his four earliest novels. While initially not intending to publish any of them, King finally decided to release those novellas in an anthology, and many of his readers couldn't be more thankful
Matthew
This book is PERFECT King! Each story is interesting and special in its own right. At least two of them ("Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption" and "The Body") are must read classics that were turned into equally great movies. Apt Pupil might be a little less accessible to some, but is one of King's best character studies. The Breathing Method is one of his shortest novellas, but wildly creative and is guaranteed to leave you saying, "WOAH!"

Every King fan should have read this already. Loo
Maciek
Nov 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This collection is one of King's finest efforts. While the author has his ups and downs, and the reception of his novels and short stories varies, the readers have suprisingly little criticism for his collection of novellas. It seems to be the field where he is at his best; it's the cozy inbetween the novel and the short story, a place where a tale can be developed without faltering into overbloated, verbose work, maintain a mood and keep the theme that would be otherwise impossible in short fic ...more
Julie
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
I have an omnivore's appetite when it comes to books. I'll consume any genre, as long as the writing knocks me out. But, if you ask me what I avoid, I will tell you: horror.

I'm a Jane Austen devotee, not a lover of Carrie, Cujo or Christine. I find the gray hair creeping into my bangs horrific enough; I never want to be more scared.

So, now you know you can trust me when I tell you how fabulous and fantastic this book is.

First off, if you're not familiar with this work, it is a collection of fo
Johann (jobis89)
"Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free."

Considered by many to be King's best collection of stories/novellas, Different Seasons contains two stories that were ultimately developed into two of the greatest movies of all-time: The Body, which became Stand by Me, of course, and Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption - the movie is obvious, no?

Sometimes I really hate reading an awesome Stephen King book... no, I'm not crazy. I just get stressed about where I'm going to rank it in my top b
Sarah ~

"Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." Andy Dufresne

"تذكر يا ريد، الأمل شيء جيد، بل ربما كان أعظم الأشياء، والأشياء الجيدة لا تموت."
Andy Dufresne ...

ـــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ

The Shawshank Redemption

في اعتقادي لايوجد أحد لا يعرف هذا الفيلم ..
وهنا الرواية.. والتي كتبها ستيفن كينج رغمَ مشاهدتي للفيلم منذ عدة سنوات ها أنا اليوم أقرأ الرواية .

طبعا الرواية جميلة يرويها زميل أندي في السجن من وجهة نظره لذا لا ت
Ivan
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ivan by: Kristijan
My first Steven King's book and it's solid 5 stars. There are multiple reasons I didn't pick one up until now. First of all because I watched some adaptations and I wasn't impressed. Shining was decent but very overrated, I fallen asleep during Dreamcatcher and Under the dome is one of worst caps I watched. Green mile was only truly great thing I watched based on his book (until recently I didn't know Apt pupil is based on book ). So you might say me and Mr King started of on a wrong foot. Secon ...more
Jason
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kindle, reviewed, 2014
For the sake of argument, let’s just say that when I was younger I used to think Stephen King was the bomb, and that now I’m 34 and have found that the last few of his books, interestingly enough, have bombed. This would naturally have the effect of forcing me—again, we’re only speaking in hypotheticals here—to reconsider my stance of thinking him a great storyteller. I have grown up, I have matured, I have now had the means to compare Stephen King to other authors that I hadn’t read when I was ...more
Paul Nelson
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books-read
Different Seasons is what the word anthology was created for, ok slight exaggeration but you get the idea. This is four absolutely top of the literary tree, superb short stories, three of which have been made into films and I really enjoyed them all.

First up we have Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, everybody’s seen the film, it’s the story of 30 year old Andy Dufresne, who gets a life sentence in Shawshank for the murder of his cheating wife and her lover. The story is told through t
Ron
Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption - I wonder if more people seen the movie than read the book? The movie I’d guess. I’ve seen the movie too, and this would be my second time reading the novella. There are some stark differences between them, but for the most part the story is the same. Red, played by Morgan Freeman, is one of those differences, in color more than anything else. Freeman did such a good job in the role. For the life of me, while reading, I could not separate his voice from th ...more
Isidora
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stiven King je jedan od autora koji mi je godinama, na žalost i sramotu, strpljivo tavorio na listi čekanja. Ne, nisam mislila da je izvikan ili precenjen, uprkos nadaleko čuvenoj produktivnosti, broju ekranizacija njegove proze, omiljenosti među fanovima horora i fantastike, kao i činjenici da je postao sinonim za ove žanrove. Uvek sam verovala preporukama i utiscima oduševljene armije Kingovih obožavalaca, ali istovremeno pomalo svesno zazirala od upuštanja u avanturu. Odmah da naglasim, nisam ...more
Miloš
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Fantastic!
Tales (not stories :-)) are quite remarkable. Every one of them on their strange way.
I watched Shawshank Redemption movie and I enjoyed, but the story bring something more to it that I like even more.
Đorđe Bajić
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
King i horor. Provereno dobar spoj. Nakon senzacionalnog debija („Keri“, 1974), usledili su hit za hitom: „Salemovo“ (1975), „Isijavanje“ (1977), „Uporište“ (1978), „Mrtva zona“ (1979), „Potpaljivačica“ (1980) i „Kudžo“ (1981) – sve sami krvavi dragulji u kruni kralja horora. Početkom osamdesetih, King je napravio hrabar eksperiment. Zbirka „Godišnja doba“ (1982) donosi četiri novele u kojima uspešno „izašao iz horora“. „Godišnja doba“, nedavno po prvi put objavljena na srpskom jeziku, krunski j ...more
Joe Valdez
Best book by Stephen King? That's a question I might answer differently from month to month, but for today, I've got Different Seasons. Published in 1982, the book consists of four novellas (each in the 25,000-35,000 word range), any of which might be considered one of King's better novels if expanded and published separately. You might have heard of a couple of these:

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Hope Springs Eternal) chronicles the internment of Andy Dufrense, a banker sentenced
Brandon
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By 1982, although King had become a tremendously successful horror novelist, he wanted to prove he had the ability to write something a little.. different.  Therefore, with four previously unpublished novellas just lying around, King crammed them into one singular release he dubbed Different Seasons.

Rather than review the whole book in one long blurb, I’ll just share my thoughts on each story individually:

Rita Hayworth & The Shawshank Redemption - I’m sure I’m not going to ruffle any feather
Ruth Turner

5 stars for the stories, all of them, and 5 stars for the audio.

Audiobook – Narrated by Frank Muller – Excellent narration.

The only problem I seem to have when I listen to Frank Muller is that my breathing seems to sync with his, and he has a far larger lung capacity than I do. At times, by the time he pauses for breath, I can feel myself turning blue!

Nevertheless, Frank Muller is one of my all time favorite narrators. He’s done a few of Stephen King’s books and I’ve loved all of them.

Although
Edward Lorn
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-in-52-2014
It all starts with Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption,  wherein the Mangler is mentioned in passing.

Then you move on to Apt Pupil, wherein a banker who went up the river for killing his wife is mentioned by Dussander.

When you round the corner into The Body, you're gifted with four boys wondering if they're going to end up in Shawshank because they trespassed at the local junkyard.

Until finally coming across The Breathing Method, a story that does not mention Shawshank, but the "club
Kevin Cambronero
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror, stephen-king
¡STEPHEN EDWIN KING! ¡Qué libro te fuiste a echar!

Estas historias me agradan de verdad, y creo que a una parte de mí mismo siempre le gustarán. Espero que te gusten, lector, y que te proporcionen lo que todo buen relato te debiera proporcionar: hacerte olvidar por un rato lo que te agobia y transportarte a algún lugar en que nunca hayas estado. Es la magia más amable que conozco.

Rita Hayworth y la redención de Shawshank: 3/5

Todo se reduce a dos posibilidades: o te consagras a vivir o te dedic
seak
This is a book of four novellas, three of which were turned into movies, and two of those three nominated for multiple Oscars. Incidentally, they're also the three novellas in this collection that aren't even King's typical fare, horror.

I haven't read a whole lot of King, but what I have I've loved. This set of books is supposed to be some of King's best writing and even with my limited experience, I can tell he's in top form.

I've been on a King kick lately and couldn't resist reading the inspi
Betsy Robinson
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masterful writing and storytelling.

I've stayed away from Stephen King's books because I do not like being scared and I was under the impression that he wrote horror. He does. But in this book of four novellas, the horror is rooted in the normal human being's shadow (to use Jung's nomenclature). And the fact that it is exposed and played out through such exquisite writing makes it all the more horrifying. And the beauty of the writing makes the ugliness more ugly and also tolerable.

Sometimes a w
  • The Running Man
  • Night Visions 5
  • Books of Blood: Volume Six (Books of Blood, #6)
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, #2
  • Houses Without Doors
  • Lovedeath
  • Duel: Terror Stories
  • Fancies and Goodnights
More about Stephen King...
“Get busy living or get busy dying.” 8542 likes
“there's no harm in hoping for the best as long as you're prepared for the worst.” 669 likes