Start by marking “Truckers (Bromeliad Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Truckers (Bromeliad Trilogy, #1)

Truckers

(Bromeliad Trilogy #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  12,382 Ratings  ·  438 Reviews
'Outside! What's it like?'
Masklin looked blank.
'Well,' he said. 'It's sort of big -'

To the thousands of tiny nomes who live under the floorboards of a large department store, there is no Outside. Things like Day and Night, Sun and Rain are just daft old legends.

Then a devastating piece of news shatters their existence: the Store - their whole world - is to be demolished. A
Published February 1st 1991 by Corgi Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Truckers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truckers

Mark Lawrence
My wife bought this for Celyn and I read it to her.

There are plenty of good things to say about the book. It has a moderate supply of Terry Pratchett's trademark wit for starters. The nomes (gnomes if you like) are an interesting mix of clever and stupid, and the addition of a lost history and their origin in the stars gives a refreshing sci-fi twist to a fantasy-in-the-real-world story. I wonder why that appeals to me...

I'm not sure what age range this is aimed at, but it's published by Corgi C
Margo
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, favorites
Very, very funny. Surprised to see on Amazon that this book is listed as ages 8 - 10. I first read it in my mid twenties, and enjoyed equally well now in my late forties. You can't put an age limit on humour!
Rob
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terry-pratchett
I have been O Deeing on psycho serial killers of late and was in need of something completely different. Went looking and when I came across Terry Pratchett, I had a light globe moment, haven't read any Sir Terry for about twenty years. Went looking in my box of many thing and found Truckers an audio edition.

What a joy. So funny I laughed out load. I like listening to audio books when my dog is taking me for a walk. Picture, if you will, a man well past his prime being dragged along by a 6 kgs d
Anuradha
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anuradha by: Drishtana
Review to come, because post-match euphoria.
Alice Gold
The librarian at our local library has amazing taste in books. When she hands me a stack every time I go to the library I know I will like every single one. She is such a motivation for me to read often.

This book is the first in a series of three books and was recommended to me by her and she said, "You are going to love these." She was absolutely right. While reading the whole time I kept thinking I want to write books like these. Forget the huge daunting novel. How about a short, quirky, hilar
Mickdemaria
Mi era capitato in passato di sentire il nome di Terry Pratchett senza mai però preoccuparmi di
approfondire la conoscenza in alcun modo, quando ho iniziato questo "Il piccolo popolo dei grandi magazzini" non avevo alcuna idea di quello che stavo per leggere ed ho scoperto che:
1) È un libro per bambini/ragazzi
2) Terry Pratchett è un mestierante che sa quello che fa
3) C'è un punto di vista divertente ed una certa fantasia tutto sommato gustosa
4) Funzionerebbe meglio come film Disney/Pixar che co
Tor Gar
Libro en el que unos gnomos que viven en nuestro mundo - aunque no los vemos debido a la relatividad del tiempo- se ven forzados a abandonar su hogar y descubrir cosas nuevas como la electricidad o algo tan simple como el mundo.
La prosa no es muy refinada al contrario que otros libros del autor aunque si tenemos en cuenta que se publicó cuando los dos primeros libros de mundodisco ya nos podemos hacer una idea de que todavía no estaba afinada. Se trata de un autor con el que me cuesta muchísimo
Qt
Dec 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of thoughtful, imaginative, juvenile stories
I really liked this one! It was an exciting, thoughtful, and, I thought, intelligent story of the four inch high nomes and their struggle to find somewhere safe to live. It was interesting to read about how they find ways to use the much bigger, human-sized objects, and the adventures they have are surprisingly gripping and dramatic.
I am looking forward to the rest of the series!

Melissa
A fun and light hearted story about the Nomes who live among us.
Bella
Was good, but I lost interest at some points.
Joey Woolfardis
[Quick, short review from memory before I re-read and review fully:

Memories are fairly vague, though the plot is almost there. I recall I enjoyed it, though I don't remember specifics. No characters spring to mind but setting is viable. Some happenings. Good writing. Elsewise vague.]
Marta
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truckers is no Discworld; it lacks the hilarity, but it possesses a charm that would endear itself to children more.

It is very reminiscent of Pratchett’s first book, The Carpet People. In both, tiny people living near, but unseen by, humans, interact with the human world from an ants-eye view, often with silly results. They also mimic human society in Pratchett’s quirky way, giving opportunity to comment on prejudices, ignorance, religion, leadership, and human failings, in a gentle and underst
Davide
Il gradito ritorno del commentatore-ospite
[Da lontano: 9 novembre 2013]

L'inarrestabile genialità di Terry Pratchett si sfoga in questo libro; il divertimento e la fantasia vi travolgeranno: un racconto incredibile, fantasy e spiritoso. Vi conquisterà.
[g]
I've been a fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series since I was a teenager but I'd never actually read his Bromeliad trilogy so when I was given the chance to take part in the Farewell Terry Pratchett Blog Tour I thought it was the perfect time to pick up my copy of Truckers.

I didn't actually know a great deal about this story before I started reading, I knew it was a children's book and I knew it wasn't connected to the Discworld but that's about it. I was sure it would be clever and witty li
Eric Mesa
While this book started off kind of slowly, it does eventually pick up and get pretty darn interesting. The story begins with the last of the nomes making a desperate play to try and leave their lives behind because they're in danger of going extinct. The lack of nomes doesn't leave them with enough "manpower" to hunt or keep predators away. They end up at a department store and discover that thousands of nomes live there.

At that point the plotting picks up and the story becomes a satire of bli
Kyriakos Sorokkou
That was a fast read. This was my first Terry Pratchett book. I was lucky that it wasn't part of the Discworld series because I wasn't sure which of the books I found there at the bazaar was the 1st from the 40+ books of the Discworld series, so I was lucky that this book was part of a trilogy not a fortylogy.
The protagonists of this series are the Nomes or Gnomes if you like, they move faster than us (humans) so we (almost) can't see them, that means we are moving like sloths to them and speak
Zana
This is the sort of engaging, fun, funny story that would be ten zillion times better if there were more than one female character in the entire F*ing thing. But, you say, there are three female characters -- THREE out of a cast of two thousand (and not a single female background character, mind). And unto you I say, they are all the same damn characters: stubborn, plucky windowdressing with a side of "of course women should learn to read" thrown in. This was published only fifteen years ago, wh ...more
Mario
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, own-read
If you ask 10 nomes to push four will pull and two will say pardon.

Reading this book was pure fun. Technically, this was my first Pratchett's book. I've read Good Omens, but he co-wrote that with Neil Gaiman. And after reading Good Omens I knew that Pratchett's books are going to be fun to read, and I was completely right. But also, while this book had lots of humor, it still had some meaningful things hidden in that humor. And I'm so glad that I have second part of this series, because I'm goin
Larry Schmidt
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-young-adults
What begins as one of those "cute" stories about little people living in baseboards and using paper clip chains as climbing ropes becomes both an entertaining adventure and an exploration of superstition, prejudice, the nature of religion, and how we know what we know. And it's funny.
Zana
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
U tom razgovoru Gurder je bio besan. "Čitanje", rekao je tada. "Da ovde dođe svaka noumska budala i da nam istroši tekstove preteranim gledanjem! Zašto ne odaš svima sve naše veštine, kad si već tako krenuo?
Karl Orbell
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, I've had this book for a long time. I located it on my Pratchett shelf, at the back, discoloured pages, a little beaten up from being lent out a few times - but I had never read it myself. I wanted to read the Discworld novels first. However, he kept writing those and well, the years and then decades rolled by. I think I bought the book sometime between 1994 and 1996, it's a 1991 issue. Anyhow, reading this series, I bought all three books at once, is long overdue.

This is an earlier book b
Marek
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jedná se vůbec o první knihu, kterou jsem přečetl od tohoto autora. Musím říci, že se mi kniha líbila. Spíše je určená pro děti, ale mohou si ji přečíst i dospělí. Kromě humoru se v knize vyskytovaly i věci k zamyšlení. Oblíbil jsem i postavy, které se v knize vyskytují, včetně VĚCI, která Nómům radila. Časem vyzkouším další knihy.

Citát z knihy, který mne oslovil:

U toho, kdo je vůdcem, není ani tak důležité, jestli má pravdu, nebo se mýlí, ale že si je jistý. Jinak lidé nebudou vědět, co si ma
Matt Garcia
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun, witty, and whimsical tale of tiny people known as nomes trying to survive in the big world inhabited by odd creatures known as humans. Pratchett’s writing is humorous and his characters are all charming and endearing in their own ways. The dialogue between them was great. The story has a sense of magical realism about it and the plot is simple enough but a enjoyable ride just the same. I’m interested to see where the next book will go and how the nomes will tackle the next obstacle thrown ...more
Jody
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was cute, with some great puns and wordplay (of which the Spider and I are both big fans). The concept was interesting, but the characters themselves were a little lacklustre. We will continue the series, as I’m interested to see how things will develop.

The Spider enjoyed this very much - she said that she didn't want it to be over, and immediately asked if there was another one. Cheers ensued when I told her that there was. She then asked me who my favourite character was, and shared who h
Ritesh Kukrety
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early Pratchett, vintage Pratchett. This story is meant for kids, but I would recommend every adult to read it. Might just make you look at society, religion, and people in a different, more understanding light.
Annerlee
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, quirky
I loved this book. I loved the play on words, the wry humour, everything. Will definitely read the whole series!
Thea
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bra.
Jag älskar filosofin i den. Det är beundransvärt hur de har kommit på en hel religion baserad på skyltar i ett varuhus.
Men det var inte en sån bok som man inte kan sluta läsa.
QueenBee
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice fun little re read of a fave of mine always makes me smile 😊
Bogdan
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brits
This was one of the funniest books I've read lately. The nomes are so funny as they learn and interact with human world. Indeed it is children literature, but of great quality and one type of story that adults can enjoy as well.

The premise in children literature is usually formed of the ethical concepts children could learn by reading it. In this first novel of the trilogy, these are helping others, learning to cooperate for a common goal and learning new things. But apart from these, there are
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Ash Road
  • The Ship That Flew
  • Jennings and Darbishire
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • The 18th Emergency
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke, #3)
  • Knights Of Madness
  • The Cuckoo Clock
  • How the Whale Became and Other Stories
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green (Hazel Green, #2)
  • Footrot Flats One (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • The Fairy Tales Of Madame d'Aulnoy

Bromeliad Trilogy (3 books)
  • Diggers (Bromeliad Trilogy, #2)
  • Wings (Bromeliad Trilogy, #3)
“The way to deal with an impossible task was to chop it down into a number of merely very difficult tasks, and break each one of them into a group of horribly hard tasks, and each of them into tricky jobs, and each of them...” 13 likes
“There's some things we can't think because we don't know the words.” 12 likes