Start by marking “Spice & Wolf, Vol. 04” as Want to Read:
Spice & Wolf, Vol. 04

Spice & Wolf, Vol. 04

(狼と香辛料 / Spice & Wolf: Light Novel #4)

Paperback, Novel, 249 pages
Published June 28th 2011 by Yen On

Start your review of Spice & Wolf, Vol. 04
Kenchiin
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: light-novel
The previous book raised the bar a little bit too high, so it was expected this book would be somehow less interesting than its predecessor. It's always nice to read more about Holo and Lawrance anyway.
myinon
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First of all, this volume is one that was not covered by the anime. The new content was definitely refreshing for me as up until this point I already had an idea about what would happen even though it had been a while since I watched the first season. The overall tone of the volume is a bit dark and though the resolution to the volume's main conflict was a bit simple, it was still a very enjoyable read.
Alejandro Melchor
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I fell in love with the anime adaptation and had been hounding the books. The charm of the relationship between Lawrence and Holo is somewhat lost in the choppy language in the book, although that might be the fault of the English translation.

The plot itself is typical of the series, illustrating an episode in the travelling pair's travels, where they find a problem they solve through guile and wit, although I have the impression the plot jumped its logic a couple of times.
Robert R.
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Following the events of volume 3, Lawrence and Holo take a bit of a detour to attempt to uncover more about the missing pieces of the history around Holo's previous home of Yoitsu.

The story is skipped over in the anime adaptation, which I think is a bit of a shame, as it helps to fill in some details regarding Holo's emotional state entering into volume 5 making the decisions there seem a bit different. However, I can see why this was the volume to be skipped as it's a bit slower and contains
Anniken Haga
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, fantasy
This book didn't take me so long to finish because it was bad, but because I've been really sick and couldn't read for a time. Even now, I can't read much at a time.

I'm also sorry to say my health made this book somewhat more heavy that it would usually be, and I fell out every now and again.

I'm still really interested in reading on, though, and plan to start the next book soon. This one unraveled some of the mystery 'round Holo's hometown, not to mention there seem to be some hints at new
Kingsley
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: light-novels
This volume takes a slightly different approach to the previous ones, focusing on fewer characters overall and in a small village environment as opposed to a town or city. In spite of that though, I feel it's one of the stronger early volumes as we really get to see Lawrence and Holo's relationship become deeper over the course of the novel. Sure, there's a big overarching plot as always - but it's not the primary focus of this volume, and that's something that works rather well!
Hugo
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Esto es como leer un ánime: los personajes se hablan igual, se comportan igual, reaccionan igual, hasta te dan un pequeño resumen de lo que pasó en el episodio anterior! perdón, perdón, en el VOLUMEN anterior. Me encanta.
Jessica  (Ihaveseenthedragons)
Another fine installment in which Lawrence and Holo travel to Yoitsu, only to be stalled by the problems of a local village. This problem is solved by some clever thinking and a bit of the supernatural. Although most of these volumes are very much alike, I continue to enjoy them.

Karla Schneider
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This sidestory is slow but nice, but because it's so slow it was not included in the spice and wolf anime.
Danielle Mercado
7/10
Michael H (Mouse UK)
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel-finnished
I'm enjoying this series of light novels,
I love Holo's sigh banter and trickery and the trouble the pair always seem to find themselves getting into...

Looking forward to book 5
Cress
Another lovely installment in the adventures of Holo and Lawrence.
Danvic Aguilar
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: spice-and-wolf
i guess i agree with the other reviews, this volume doesnt have much in it, though i like the scenes of our couple together. this feels like a lay low after the previos book with so much intese going on.

at this volume our couple made to the village of Tereo to find the Abbey for the records of pagan tales. this search cause them some trouble and they certainly solved it.

with this we learned a few things about Yoitsu and the fate of Holo's friends, here they also questioned what will they do
Brandon Varnell
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-novels
To be perfectly honest, I didn't enjoy Spice&Wolf volume 4 as much as I did volume 3. While the writing hasn't suffered, and the story is still pleasant, I feel like the last volume had a lot more going for than this one did. Perhaps I was simply expecting more out of the story, or maybe I was hoping for a bigger plot with higher stakes, since every volume before this had high stakes and risks involved. While I wasn't disappointed to read the next saga in Lawrence and Holo's adventures, and ...more
Albert
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
First of all, I love the series as a whole. This novel happens to contain a tale not included in the Second Season of the anime. The dialogue is spot on, matching the witty and amusing banter of the show and, most likely, the other novels in this series.

However, in terms of plot this particular novel falls short. The falling action feels kind of tacked on, as if the author decided to give Holo special powers at the last moment. The translation as a whole reads rather smoothly, though there are
Nicholas Alexander
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Volume 4 was a good entry. The first book in the series that wasn't covered by the show, I found the content of this volume refreshing after working through three books of events that I had seen already. Volume 4 added little to the main storyline, and the ending (while good for a standalone book) would have been an anticlimactic note to end the anime on, so its easy to see why it was skipped in favor of book 5. I felt like Lawrence and Holo stepped out of focus in thi book in favor of the ...more
Ricardo Matos
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: light-novels
The setting is interesting, but overall, there isn't much to this one. It feels like the real story is their investigation of the tales that might have clues about Holo's homeland, and the overarching challenge they face is secondary to it all. That might be what the author was going for, but it just felt disappointing.
Furthermore, the banter between the two is inferior to previous books. Holo doesn't feel like the same Holo from the previous 3 books: she pouts so much on this book that she
Chad
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had to drop the "economics" tag for this book in the series, because economics turned out to simply not be nearly as significant a factor in the story, and politics took its place -- because the machinations of politics, mostly behind the scenes but still very evident, moved the plot. I did not enjoy the tale any less than its predecessors, though.

I'm not in a good headspace to write a more thorough review, but if you've gotten this far in the series and agreed with my previous reviews I doubt
Artemis
More Holo goodness~ In all sincerity I cannot stop now and there are still way too many volumes waiting for me. I know I will be quite sad when it ends eventually (Preparing for that hollow feeling at the end of a good series already) but right now it just seem impossible that I will be able to finish the series at all while keeping up with school. Life, is just too damn difficult.
Casey
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this volume a few days ago.

I believe this is the turning point of the series. This is the first volume that focuses more on the history and lore of the world (including confronting religious truths) than on the merchanting of our favourite trader, Kraft Lawrence.
Kyle
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The story in this one has a bit of deus ex machina, but the story is mostly (at least to me) about the dialogue between Lawrence and Holo, and it was in great form in this one.
Eldon Siemens
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
fun story, finished it in a day, ready for volume 5
phoenix296
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Felt more like the Villager's story than Holo and Lawrence's.
Patty Soto
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love the characters, their adventures, the simple and still complicated lives they live.
Emily
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really love reading these as light novels. So much more there.
Jonathan W
Apr 09, 2016
Tim
May 05, 2019

• 空ろの箱と零のマリア 1
  • ノーゲーム・ノーライフ 1 ゲーマー兄妹がファンタジー世界を征服するそうです (No Game No Life, #1)
  • No Game, No Life Vol. 5 (No Game No Life Light Novels, #5)
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 2
  • Bakemonogatari, Part 1 (Bakemonogatari, #1, Part 1)
  • No Game, No Life Vol. 4 (No Game No Life Light Novels, #4)
  • 無職転生 ~異世界行ったら本気だす~ 1 (Mushoku Tensei, #1)
  • Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-, Vol. 1 (Re:Zero Light Novels, #1)
  • Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-, Vol. 2 (Re:Zero Light Novels, #2)
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 5 [Utsuro No Hako To Zero No Maria 5]
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 3
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 4 [Utsuro No Hako To Zero No Maria 4]
  • オーバーロード 10 謀略の統治者 (Overlord Light Novels, #10)
  • ノーゲーム ノーライフ6 ゲーマー夫嫁は世界に挑んだそうです (No Game No Life, #6)
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 7
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 2 (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #2)
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 6 (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #6)
  • Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-, Vol. 3 (Re:Zero Light Novels, #3)

狼と香辛料 / Spice & Wolf: Light Novel (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 01