Start by marking “Theodore Rex” as Want to Read:
Theodore Rex

Theodore Rex (Theodore Roosevelt #2)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  32,471 Ratings  ·  891 Reviews
The most eagerly awaited presidential biography in years, Theodore Rex is a sequel to Edmund Morris's classic bestseller The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. It begins by following the new President (still the youngest in American history) as he comes down from Mount Marcy, New York, to take his emergency oath of office in Buffalo, one hundred years ago.

A detailed prologue desc
Published November 20th 2001 by Random House (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Theodore Rex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theodore Rex

Matt
Feb 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We are in the dregs of December. Soon we will experience the long dark of January, the utter waste of February, and the vindictiveness of March. And then it will probably rain. It’s a time of year meant for misery. The weather is cold and gray; you didn't get what you wanted for Christmas; you’re broke; and you probably gained fifteen pounds. Want to feel a little worse? Read a book about Theodore Roosevelt.

While your life is spent sunk into an overstuffed couch, drinking cheap domestic beer wh
Arminius
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: presidents
The book is an excellent account of the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt. Based on this book I can see why he is often rated a top rate president. The book starts at the assassination of President McKinley where Theodore, as McKinley’s vice president, was unexpectedly thrust into the country’s most important job. Theodore justifiably became concerned about being an assassin’s automatic target as the nation’s leader. His father’s hero Abraham Lincoln as well as President James Garfield (who was a ...more
Chrissie
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio, usa, audible, series, leaders
Theodore Roosevelt – what a guy!!! A whirlwind . A remarkable individual way, way, way ahead of his time. I recommend reading this book to those of you interested in all the details of his presidency AND to those of you who like reading about exceptional human beings. I cannot think of any other person at all similar. You must of course start with the first book of the trilogy: The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. This is the second, and I am off to read the third: Colonel Roosevelt. I know they ar ...more
Shawn
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This, the middle book of a three book trilogy, is focused solely on Theodore Roosevelt's presidency. The book is exellent. Richly detailed in all that happened during his presidency. The book captures more than a presidency but also the man himself, his energy, his faults and his strengths. Paired with the first book, this makes a wonderful duology. However, if you are just looking to read about his presidency, this is book can just be read on its own.
Hana
Three and a half stars. One has to have almost as much energy as Teddy himself to get through this massive history of Roosevelt's presidency. I did not enjoy it anywhere near as much as Morris's earlier book, The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. Theodore Rex was too often a rather dry chronology with little context or analysis of Roosevelt's place in history. Still....Bully for Teddy! He was a giant.
Checkman
The second installment of Edmund Morris's biographical trilogy of Theodore Roosevelt. Densely written, well researched and with excellent research notes Theodore Rex is a serious piece of political biography. I'm not a slow reader, but I took my time goingg through this one.

Political biographies can be challenging for me. All the in-fighting and maneuvering can be tedious at times, but also fascinating. It just isn't fast reading for me. In some respects the book is rather old-fashioned in it's
Joe
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
Ol' Teddy Roosevelt. One of two Republicans that it is okay for liberals to like (the other is Abraham Lincoln of course. Who did you think I was talking about? Rutherford B. Hayes?)

I've always liked this guy because of the snippets of history you hear about him: "Speak softly and carry a big stick." Big game hunter. Conservationist. Great public speaker. Teddy Bear.

I feel like I've grown up listening to his "Greatest Hits" and this is the first time I've actually sat down to listen to all of hi
Joe B
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I simply learned that TR was a bad ass, plain and simple. I am sorry, Obama, Clinton, and Bush, this guy makes you look like the janitor of America. I think he may be the only president who could help us open the greatest canal in the world's history, help thwart a recession (very similar to ours today) by telling the rich people, "Hey you like making money? Then you save Wall Street, not the government!", create the greatest group of fighters, The rough riders, and have many life stories such a ...more
Darwin8u
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant biography. IT is hard to separate my love of Morris' second Roosevelt biography from my love of TR. The book captures the dynamo-President's force, eccentricities, and political skill while also accurately capturing the politics of the time and the rise of America's global power. Occasionally, a person enters the global stage with such energy, power, competence and audacity that it seems the earth moves for them and water separates. I can only think of a couple other leaders that cap ...more
Matt
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG STICK

Morris places this African proverb at Roosevelt's feet in this second volume of the biography, and aptly so. President Roosevelt, who began using the phrase just before entering the White House, turned it into his mantra and he shifted the view of the United States, both within the borders of its territory and amongst the international community.

The ongoing expansion of my knowledge of historical figures has me tackling the presidential period of Roosevelt's life
  • Strenuous Life
  • The Young Man's Guide
  • President Reagan: The Role of a Lifetime
  • Essential Manners for Men: What to Do, When to Do It, and Why
  • The Frontier in American History
  • John Quincy Adams
  • Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt
  • The Passage of Power (The Years of Lyndon Johnson, #4)
  • Wilson
  • FDR
  • Franklin Delano Roosevelt: Champion of Freedom
  • A Country of Vast Designs: James K. Polk, the Mexican War and the Conquest of the American Continent
  • Mornings on Horseback: The Story of an Extraordinary Family, a Vanished Way of Life, and the Unique Child Who Became Theodore Roosevelt
  • Henry Clay: The Essential American
  • Woodrow Wilson: A Biography
  • The Book of Deeds of Arms and of Chivalry
  • Jefferson Davis, American
  • The Crisis
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name. This profile may contain books from multiple authors of this name.

Other authors with this name:

Edmund Morris (1804-1874)
Edmund Morris, actor, playwright, author of screenplays

Edmund Morris is a writer best known for his biographies of United States presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan. Morris receiv
More about Edmund Morris...

Theodore Roosevelt (4 books)
  • Theodore Roosevelt Trilogy
  • The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt
  • Colonel Roosevelt
“Yet there was no doubt that Theodore Roosevelt was peculiarly qualified to be President of all the people. Few, if any Americans could match the breadth of his intellect and the strength of his character. A random survey of his achievements might show him mastering German, French, and the contrasted dialects of Harvard and Dakota Territory; assembling fossil skeletons with paleontological skill; fighting for an amateur boxing championship; transcribing birdsong into a private system of phonetics; chasing boat thieves with a star on his breast and Tolstoy in his pocket; founding a finance club, a stockmen's association, and a hunting-conservation society; reading some twenty thousand books and writing fifteen of his own; climbing the Matterhorn; promulgating a flying machine; and becoming a world authority on North American game mammals. If the sum of all these facets of experience added up to more than a geometric whole - implying excess construction somewhere, planes piling upon planes - then only he, presumably, could view the polygon entire.” 15 likes
“Implicit in the stare of those eyes, the power of those knobbly hands, was labor's historic threat of violence against capital.” 5 likes