Start by marking “The Other Side and Back: A Psychic's Guide to Our World and Beyond” as Want to Read:
The Other Side and Back: A Psychic's Guide to Our World and Beyond

The Other Side and Back: A Psychic's Guide to Our World and Beyond

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  3,077 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
The world-famous psychic, featured on numerous TV talk shows, takes readers on an unprecedented and comprehensive "tour" of the afterlife and presents a handbook for spiritual survival in the new millennium that helps people tap into their psychic powers. Updated with new material.
Published July 1st 2000 by Signet Book (first published August 1st 1999)

Ashlie Nelson
This book literally change my life and my faith. I was 21 when I first read this book on a whim. I was browsing the book isle while waiting on pictures to be developed at wallgreens when I saw this book and had remembered hearing about Sylvia Browne on TV and thought I would check it out.

I have change my belief systems many times over. I have been Baptist, Non-denominational, Wiccan, Buddhist and a few others. I have always been fascinated with death and life after death and searching for the o
Alisa
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, grc, new-age
One of my elderly woman brought this book from the library, gave it to me, and told me to read it out loud to her.. next thing you know, over the time frame of 3 days, I have a group of people around me listening and we had very good conversation about this today. Yes.. it was a little heated at times because you have so many people and so many opinions, but all in all this was a great book. They really enjoyed it and so did I.. if not for what the book was about, then atleast for the fact that ...more
Karen Newsham-Goulding
I am writing this review now 11 years later and to this day I live my life based on the beliefs Sylvia Browne has laid out in this book.

I read this book back in 2001 just after the loss of our daughter Victoria. It helped me a lot to understand the other side (Heaven) and why everything happens for a reason and how we choose our life before we come to this life or the body.

I will add to this review again after I read the book again.

I highly recommend this book to anyone that has lost a loved one
MizzSandie
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This woman is apparently surrounded by controversy and a lot of people say she is a fraud, and of course she herself claims to be a true psychic. I don't know what to believe, to be honest, but the truth is i'm enjoying this book regardless. What's important to me isn't so much wether she really did and have seen all the things she says she did, or if they come true, I still find it an interesting read, and i like the overall messages in the book.
I definately think it's good to be skeptic about
Emily
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not everyone believes that Sylvia browne is a true Physic, me.. i dont know what i believe but i do know this Parts of this book rang true to me as it supported a few experiences that i have had, If your not a fan of Sylvia browne thats ok you dont have to be this is not a book of perdictions or anything truely Physic its is more or less a book about the other side told by those who believe they have seen it themselves
Ann-Marie
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with any spiritual book, you take from it what you desire to know. I met Sylvia Brown before she became famous when I was 19 years old. I can attest to her amazing gifts. That being said, nothing is constant and predictions should be taken with a grain of salt. You are the creator of your path in life. If you are curious to matters beyond the physical existence, this is a great insight to those possibilities.
Maria Carmo
Even if I have some different perspectives regarding some of the subjects, it is a good book in as much it encourages people to be positive, have the courage to search for their own truth and not to put themselves under any external influence that may take away their dignity and well being. It is certainly written by someone who is filled with good "vibes" and I enjoyed reading it.

Maria Carmo

Lisbon 15th. August 2012.
Jamila
Apr 18, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought The Church of Scientology was ridiculous until I read this book. I have a very open mind and was looking into a lot of spiritual based books to give me insight after the death of a good friend which I did not find through the pages of this book.

Browns' “ideas” are so out there, they are ridiculous and demented! It is no surprise she appears on daytime talk shows. This book is meant for people who enjoy Jerry Springer and other trashy TV programs.

Brown tells us that “the other side” is
Carole Rae
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second book I've read by Sylvia Browne. The first one I read was solely about reincarnation and near-death. That was really good and it reaffirmed my belief in reincarnation and spirit guides, so I've always been interested in Sylvia Browne's work since that book. Reece found this for me recently and I'm glad she did.

In this book she does talk a bit about spirit guides and reincarnation, but she mainly focuses on the "Other side" which is a form of heaven, but not your a-typical heave
Sue
Nov 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Curious about the Other Side?
Recommended to Sue by: Mom
I like Sylvia's style of writing. She is witty and interjects with many amusing things. Sometimes I find myself laughing out loud.

I am currently reading this book and find it fascinating. For me it's an exploration which I remember to take with a grain-of-salt but I can't help but think it all make sense. And thoughts that I had before... are coalescing together. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to study spirituality and work on it.
This book was witty, quick, and smart. It really urges
A Haunted Reader
Sep 29, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After going through a crisis of faith, I was sure that psychics could help restore my faith in the divine. After buying several of her books and reading them I was completely convinced that she would make a wonderful fiction writer. She has no talents. After reading her biography and reviews of her 'psychic' sessions I realized she was a complete fraud. Her ideas are absolutely looney. If she believes half of what she writes she's a nut.
Maizie
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With her super natural abilities she tells what happens when you die. You might not believe but she makes a skeptic change there mind. Her books are very informing and leaves you only wanting more. If your not sure pick up the book read a few pages and you just might change your view. she is a very intelligent women who has knowledge to share even if you don't believe in what she does it doesn't hurt to expand your knowledge.
Marla
Jan 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who would like to rethink a concept
Recommended to Marla by: a friend
Shelves: spiritual
I really need to read a few more of her books. This one fascinated me! I think my (by far) favorite part was when she explains how our children choose us. I was so overwhelmed with this idea that I immediately went to my son and put my arms around him in a hug and told him "Thank you for choosing me as your mother."
Abby
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great intro and reference book to The Other Side. Covers the basics of metaphysical/spiritual concepts. Sort of reminded me of the 'Handbook for the Recently Deceased' in Beetlejuice. Looking forward to reading 'Life on the Other Side.'
Deanna
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has helped me so much. When I read any of her books she makes me feel so positive about life. I've learned to worry less and look at death as another adventure and not the end.
Anne Marie
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I read this book, I kept comparing the thoughts of this psychic and author, Sylvia Browne, with Lorna Byrne, the author that can see angels. Lorna talks about our guardian angels, where Sylvia says we have a "spirit guide." Lorna seems to have more of a spiritualness about her, while Sylvia just wants to tell us all about her psychic readings and visions. Most of Sylvia's book really to me was telling us how to live a happy life, and be positive. I got very curious as to how Sylvia Browne pas ...more
Melissa Knotts
I read this book for a paper I was writing in college on psychics. It was extremely interesting whether you believe her or not or in afterlife itself. The extremely detailed and discriptive way she speaks of angels, ghosts, our spirit guides etc. is very interesting and really makes you think and wonder about all the things that might be out there.
Amber
This was interesting and a lot of it was really nice to think about, but I still feel skeptical. But, I think that's okay though! Despite my skepticism it was still an interesting read and I would recommend it to others wanting to learn more about the different "afterlives."
Emelie
This kind of spirituality has come to feel to dopey for me lately.
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book that gave me so many answers I didn't even know I was looking for- but my soul did. I haven't read these books in so long and have found I wish I still had them. I've read nearly all of her books cover to cover and then would use as reference. Sometimes it just helps to read a section or two of other people's experiences to know you're not alone or just if you need your spirits lifted. This book changed me and once I read it. As Sylvia always said, "take what you want and leave ...more
Rachel June
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing book about the other side (life after death). I've read this book 3 times and still want to read it again. Highly recommend to those curious about the afterlife or to find comfort in their grief.
Kristin
An interesting concept of the afterlife that parallels in some ways to what I've experienced. Not sure how credible, but certainly tantalizingly specific food for thought.
C.
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Other Side And Back", 1999, is an important book to any faith. Sylvia Browne insisted on substantiating spiritual details she received, with research. Banish any bias conjured by the word "psychic". This discusses everyday topics and some Heavenly questions we were keen to have answered. Sylvia consulted for a living but accepted no money for missing persons and refused a "psychic hotline". Our impressions of well known personages should not derive from hearsay. Read this book.

Largely autob
Letticia
Since I was a child, I always liked Sylvia. I always vibed with what she was saying. The first time I read one of her books was last summer sometime. I liked most of that book, and flew through it. I have to say her writing style is very simple and easy to read, so even though I'm a slow reader, I can get through it quickly.

This book took me a little longer to get through, and at times it felt like a chore. (I don't like reading to feel like a chore!) There were quite a few anecdotes in this bo
Daniel Booke
My fiancé asked me to read this book because she felt that it had helped her with her life and that it would do the same for me. I had seen Sylvia on Montel many times back in the day and thought to myself “what a crock”. Unfortunately, this held true for this book as well. For a while she had me going, thinking that she truly believed what she was saying, until I got to the end where she makes her predictions for the new millennium. None of which have come true by 2013, and just reaffirmed my b ...more
Katie Quesada
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting a glimpse into another realm of our experience here is a gift. Not only is there information in this book about life after death but it touches on many other areas we can learn from with regard to our personal power, how we treat each other, what our goals are and purposes is here on Earth. Anyone on a spiritual quest has something to learn from this book about their personal identity with the constant ping reminding us to let ourselves truly live and appreciate each day for what it is, ...more
Pisces
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual

Some of what she says rings true. But, over all, I think she is full of herself, an attention seeker and not as fully devoted to helping people as she claims to be. Some of what she says is insightful and thought provoking. The rest of it just sounds like it's made up. I am very wary of her. I like James Van Praugh better.. People who use their intuitive gifts mainly for profit make me skeptical.
Jennifer B.
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I read by Sylvia Browne, and I remember I stayed up all night reading it, because I had to finish the entire thing. The next day, despite only an hour or two of sleep, I felt better than I ever had. I'd found something that rang true for me, that confirmed so many of my own personal beliefs, and gave me comfort. That's a nice way to feel regardless of what one does or does not believe.
Melissa Gritton-bell
She has some wise words about life, and dealing with it's struggles! Is she psychic, and everything she claims to be? I can't say, but I can say this has been a very interesting read..and has hit many parts of my life dead on! Pretty disappointed that she predicted aliens would be here in 2010, and as far as I know THAT never happened! Lol!! ;) In the end she is very inspirational, so if you're looking for that and have an open mind.. This book is for you!
Linda Jackson
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much of it makes so much sense. It definitely gets me to thinking a lot more about everything all around me. Sylvia has touched upon many things that I'd felt or sensed or experienced. But I think it will take a long time to digest fully what she explains about the paranormal and afterlife and coincidences and other phenomenon. It's all so truly fascinating, and bizarre. I'll most likely be thinking about these words for years to come.
  • One Last Time: A Psychic Medium Speaks to Those We Have Loved and Lost
  • Talking to Heaven: A Medium's Message of Life After Death
  • My Life With Sylvia Browne
  • Healing with the Angels: How the Angels Can Assist You in Every Area of Your Life
  • Saved by the Light: The True Story of a Man Who Died Twice and the Profound Revelations He Received
  • The Eagle and the Rose: A Remarkable True Story
  • Hello from Heaven: A New Field of Research-After-Death Communication Confirms That Life and Love Are Eternal
  • Edgar Cayce: The Sleeping Prophet
  • Life Among the Dead
  • Embraced by the Light
  • Don't Kiss Them Good-bye
  • When Ghosts Speak: Understanding the World of Earthbound Spirits
Sylvia Browne was a number one New York Times–bestselling author and world-famous psychic. She appeared regularly on The Montel Williams Show and Larry King Live and made countless other media and public appearances. She was the founder of a church, the Society of Novus Spiritus.
More about Sylvia Browne...
“Death is the Graduation of the Soul” 23 likes