Start by marking “Disturbed Earth” as Want to Read:
Disturbed Earth

Disturbed Earth (Artie Cohen #5)

2.98  ·  Rating details ·  163 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Winter 2003: war is looming and New York is paralysed by the worst blizzard in years. Artie Cohen is called in to investigate a case: a pile of blood soaked children's clothes have been found on the beach in Brooklyn. Almost against his will, Artie finds himself drawn into a case that involves the death of a child and the unaccountable disappearance of another, all against ...more
Published May 5th 2005 by Arrow (first published July 27th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Disturbed Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disturbed Earth

Anita
May 30, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The positive reviews from literary sources for this book, as printed on the cover, is not to be believed. It does not make you "hold on tight" because it is certainly not a "roller-coaster plot". "Superlative storytelling" (from the 'Literary Review')? Puh-leeze!

To me, it is the story of a middle-aged detective (certainly not "exciting" as proclaimed by the 'Daily Mirror'), struggling with severing his Russian roots but in this story is reluctantly drawn in to confront issues that he was adaman
Martha
Mar 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Despite all the great reviews for this one, I found it somewhat disappointing. It's probably both brave and stupid to take on a book that's more or less about 9/11, despite having a traditional plot wandering through it; no matter how well one addresses the topic, people are always going to find something that's not quite right, or find a reason to be offended. For me, the problem with the book is that it's too on the nose at times -- telling us how screwed up Artie has been since 9/11 is a lot ...more
Ian Mapp
Dec 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was brought to my attention in the Daily Mail, where they had identified the top summer reads.

This book is number four in a series. Lets say I won't be going after the others.

This book is about a russian detective in New York that gets involved with a case that has blood stained childrens clothes found by the river. There was a similar, unsolved, murder quite recently and then his own godson disappers.

This is where the book categorically fails. You would think there would be some tensi
Sue Russell
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm reading the Artie Cohen series out of order but it doesn't matter. Nadelson has created a gem of a New York detective, Russian-born, multi-lingual, angst-ridden and anxious. A man who moves in a strange world populated by larger than life yet totally believable characters. Original and engrossing. At times, you want to tell Det. Cohen to cut short a conversation with someone from the old country and cut them off, so meandering are their dialogues. It's not that they're boring, it's that ther ...more
Martin Cooper
Based in and around New York just after 9/11 our Russian born detective is on the scene of a kidnap, but who has been kidnapped and why? This book follows the meandering investigation with glimpses of the rich and poor sides of the New York area and the undertones of the opposing cultures found within. There's much background to 9/11, Russian culture and the private life of our Detective as he battles his past, future and the weather to solve the mystery of the kidnapping. Not the usual detectiv ...more
Melanie
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
jury is out. i do feel though that the books bang you over the head with stereotypical generalities of russians as chain-smoking, self/identity-hating, heavy drinking, introspective and slightly irrational human beings. and all in the book's effort to paint a picture of new york city's psychological state following 9/11: the paranoia, xenophobia fear and irrational behavior. i think it overdoes it though. added to the complex, generally unlikeable characters though is the bleak backdrop of nyc i ...more
Jimmy Ranieri
May 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: myster
I liked the setting of post 9-11 New York, the descriptions of parts of Brooklyn, some of the characters and the basic storyline. I very much disliked the schizophrenic storytelling of the author. Either schizo or severe ADHD. In addition, the decision making of the main character was awful bizarre at times (for example and this is just one of many, he is so concerned with his nephew but instead of taking care of business decides to go sleep with his sort of girlfriend?).

this book had a chance
Barbara
Aug 29, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was real interesting. It involved Russians who live in and around Brighton Beach, but it's not about the Russian mafia. It's more like Russians who don't want to be involved with the Russian mafia. Anyway, it left me with a bad feeling which I can't put my finger on. There were many intellectual flaws, i.e., I either figured things out or questioned them well before the main character did. And I'm not a cop.
Derk
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to this book as there are many more in the series and I was hoping it would be good so I would have another author whose work I enjoyed. I almost quit reading it several times, but plowed through to the end thinking it's got to get better. It didn't. I just couldn't care what happened to the stupidly behaving main character. I'll not try another by this author unless I forget how little I found of merit in this sample.
Matt &
Jan 10, 2017 added it
The story idea was a good one and the characters were good and interesting; however, I found the book a slog to read. Perhaps if I had read others in the series I could have brought myself to be drawn into the story more. I just couldn't bring myself to care about the main character, Artie. He seemed middle-aged and just punching the clock at times.
Cynthia K
I couldn't bring myself to really like or care about Artie which made reading this book a chore. There was just too much angst and moodiness for my taste. Plus, I was frustrated that I had figured out what happened to the missing boy long before Artie did.
Letha Curry
Jun 24, 2008 rated it liked it
The book failed to live up to its early promise. Its ending left key elements unresolved with a twist that I was predicting after the book was only half-read.
Marlene
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This mystery is chock full of local color from the New York city area, but the ending is such an improbable cop-out it negates all that went before.
Carolyn
Airplane reading. Served its purpose.
Bicefalus
grande autrice due libri letti di due epoche diverse e non sono rimasto deluso .... adrenalinico
Karen
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was an ok read but I was a little disappionted with how the story ended. There were some areas that were confusing and the characters were somewhat steriotypical.
Jack
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crime thriller set in New York and heavy with post 9/11 references to the event itself and the US rection to it.
Jean
Jul 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
I thought this would be a good change from reading NF. After about 10 minutes, however, I knew it was not worth finishing.
Marcmandy
May 11, 2016
Stephanie LGW
Dec 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Lot's Return to Sodom (A Liv Bergen Mystery, #2)
  • Blood of My Brother
  • The Dogs of Rome (Commissario Alec Blume, #1)
  • Hybrid
  • Chasing Eden (Eden Thrillers #1)
  • Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)
  • The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1)
  • Striking Back
  • June Bug (Murder-by-Month Mystery #2)
  • Eye of the God
  • Spoilt
  • Graveyard Games
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • The Everything Soup, Stew, and Chili Cookbook
  • I, Spy? (Sophie Green Mystery, #1)
  • Spirit Thorn (A Tale of Parallel Worlds)
  • The Curse of the Holy Pail (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #2)
  • Hidden Steel
Reggie Nadelson is a New Yorker who also makes her home in London. She is a journalist and documentary film-maker. She is the author of the critically acclaimed series featuring Artie Cohen, Moscow-born New Yorker and the first great post-Cold War cop.

Series:
* Artie Cohen
More about Reggie Nadelson...

Artie Cohen (9 books)