Start by marking “How the West Was Worn: Bustles and Buckskins on the Wild Frontier” as Want to Read:
How the West Was Worn: Bustles and Buckskins on the Wild Frontier

How the West Was Worn: Bustles and Buckskins on the Wild Frontier

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  26 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Fashion that was in vogue in the East was highly desirable to pioneers during the frontier period of the American West. It was also extraordinarily difficult to obtain, often impractical, and sometimes the clothing was just not durable enough for the men and women who were forging new homes for themselves in the West. Full hoopskirts were of little use in a soddy on the pr ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by TwoDot

To ask other readers questions about How the West Was Worn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How the West Was Worn

Alaina
Jan 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
The subject is promising, but Enss fails to deliver on nearly every count. She may be a talented screenwriter, but she's in way over her head as a costume historian. Enss' attempt to capture the humor, outrageousness, and individuality of frontier dress falls flat with every poorly written sentence. The appeal of her subject comes through only in the newspaper articles and diary and letter excerpts, which are plentiful but still too few, and the wonderful photographs and printed ephemera include ...more
Zoe Blake
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was just what I was looking for as an author. It has great descriptions of the clothing, patterns and fabric type as well as accessories. I like how the book was organized between city woman and frontier, cowboys and miners, etc. The newspaper excerpts and photos from the time period were a nice touch. Highly recommend.
Ericka
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and learned quite a bit even though this is a topic I've followed for 20 years or so. Some chapters read a little slow as I wasn't as interested in the information, but it was still fascinating. The rugged West, like where I live, still follow some of the same rules: comfort and utility come first but we still like to see what's new.
Marilyn
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I like to read Chris Enss. This bood was very interesting and kept my attention with the side stories of the "fashionista's" of the day. She covered the all of the man, woman, and child styles and the differences in wild frontier between social standings and even between territory and class standings. Entertaining and interesting.
Allison
Aug 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Filled with cited anecdotes and black and white images, this book gives a decently thorough account of what people wore in the "Wild West" as well as the origins of several types of garments.
Sherry Monahan