Start by marking “Scavenger Hunt” as Want to Read:
Scavenger Hunt

Scavenger Hunt (Jimmy Gage Mystery #2)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Philip Marlow and Lew Archer would recognize a kindred spirit in Jimmy Gage, reporter for SLAP magazine, troublemaker by trade and inclination, and the hero of Robert Ferrigno’s sinuous new crime novel. While taking part in a Hollywood scavenger hunt, Jimmy meets Garret Walsh, a bad-boy movie maker in the truest sense: He’s just been released from prison after serving seve ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Scavenger Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scavenger Hunt

Leonardo Etcheto
Really liked this book, mainly because the characters seemed so alive and real. The story was quite interesting, but the plot for me was secondary to the world and the characters. The personalities were fantastic, and while they are almost all a bit eccentric in never seemed gratuitous. Very enjoyable reading, good plot, great setting. First book I have read by this author, now I need to get the rest.
Andrew Vachss
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hardboiled, hard-edged, hard truthed, and brilliantly written. This is one guy you'll be thanking me for telling you about for years.
Elisa
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Robert Ferrigno’s “Scavenger Hunt,” SLAP magazine writer Jimmy Gage exposes the seedy underbelly of Hollywood as he seeks the truth behind a movie director’s death. As Jimmy delves deeper into the director’s past, he threatens to uncover secrets that were long thought buried for good—then the accidents start.

A tenacious entertainment journalist with a cop’s eye, Jimmy brings sexy back to the genius detective trope and, in many ways, turns it on its head. While the story includes the usual su
Karschtl
I liked it that the title of the book not only refers to the little game at the very beginning of the book, but to the whole investigation of Jimmy. He wants to find out if an Oscar winning director, whom he recently met und only a couple of days later turns up dead in a Koi fish pond, really did murder a young girl 7 years earlier.
Every person he interviews about this matter can give him only a small piece of the puzzle, (and sometimes he doesn't even realize that he is handed a piece at all),
Tony
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
75. SCAVENGER HUNT. (2003). Robert Ferrigno. ***1/2.
I used to read Ferrigno on a regular basis, but somehow lost track of him. He is a skillful writer and one that knows how to appeal to his reading audience. His plots all show different sides of his ability in creating plots and characters. This book is no exception. His characters – though loopy – re believable, and keep the story moving forward. The book actually begins with a scavenger hunt in L.A., one like you have never come across before
Doug
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great modern-noir detective story set in the seedy underside of Hollywood. I love it when L.A. itself becomes a character in the story. Even the douche-bags can be likable then because they're an integral part of the scenery.

I didn't know this was the second in a series until now, but there were quite a lot of references in the story to earlier events, so it makes sense. Fortunately, they didn't derail the story too much. I've read a couple of other Ferrigno novels, but none with the Jimmy Gag
Charles
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A readable but unremarkable story set in the pit of all excess, Hollywood.

This is not the first book with the Jimmy Gage protagonist, and it would be helpful to start at the beginning. The story contains a few plot twists to keep it interesting, but they could have been more artfully done. The Killer's ultimate motivation is never made clear. In addition, the protagonist's coup de main's are executed just a bit too easily.

This book is OK for the beach.
Corey Miller
Man, what a disappointment. I loved FLINCH, which introduced the character Jimmy Gage. That book was funny, insightful, unpredictable, and filled with interesting and quirky characters. So I was very much looking forward to this second novel. But wow. This novel is almost all pure exposition - as dry and slow as a Law and Order episode. All the personalities have been leached from the characters, and I found myself skimming pages to get through it. Too bad.
Ozzie Cheek
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very, very good mystery/thriller. The Hollywood types are dead-on (I was a TV writer for ten years). The plot zips along with enough twists to keep the reader turning the page. Only one thing keeps this book for being a great mystery worthy of five stars. Ferrigno kills one too many characters, one that need not and should not have died. No pun intended, but it was overkill. Otherwise, Ferrigno writes like Elmore Leonard meets Carl Haissen, and that's good!

Pat Harris
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Ferrigno is an underappreciated author. But I think he is fine!
Joe Moffa
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Hollywood sleaze detective yarn. Chandler would still recognize LaLa Land.
Exapno Mapcase
Muriel
Apr 27, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Lie In The Dark
  • Death of a Dutchman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #2)
  • Deluge (CSI: New York, #3)
  • Candle for a Corpse (Mitchell and Markby Village, #8)
  • Instruments of Darkness (Bruce Medway, #1)
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Död joker  (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #5)
  • Die Häupter meiner Lieben
  • Self's Punishment (Gerhard Self #1)
  • The Sour Lemon Score (Parker, #12)
  • The Name of the Game Is Death (Drake, #1)
  • Death Spiral (Maria Kallio, #5)
  • Die Schwalbe, die Katze, die Rose und der Tod (Inspector Van Veeteren #9)
  • Deadly Desire (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #4)
  • Dating is Murder
  • Body of Evidence (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #4)
  • Hell to Pay
  • Reign in Hell
Robert Ferrigno is an American author of crime novels and of speculative fiction. I've written twelve novels in the last twenty years, most crime thrillers. Sins of the Assassin was a finalist for the Edgar, Best Novel, by the Mystery Writers of America in 2008, and my comic short story, "Can I Help You Out?" won the Silver Dagger, Best Short Story, by the Mystery Association of Great Britain.

Seri
More about Robert Ferrigno...

Jimmy Gage Mystery (2 books)
  • Flinch