Start by marking “Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)” as Want to Read:
Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)

Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces #3)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  2,845 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
Former car thief Ray Lilly is now the expendable grunt of a sorcerer responsible for destroying extradimensional predators summoned to our world by power-hungry magicians. Luckily, Ray has some magic of his own, and so far it's kept him alive. But when a friend from his former gang calls him back to his old stomping grounds in Los Angeles, Ray may have to face a threat eve ...more
Published August 30th 2011 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Circle of Enemies, please sign up.

Pat I didn't know the series was cancelled. Darn! I enjoyed it. I just finished the 3rd book, and my answer to your question is that you can read all…moreI didn't know the series was cancelled. Darn! I enjoyed it. I just finished the 3rd book, and my answer to your question is that you can read all three and be satisfied at the end. (less)

Bryan Brown
May 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-noir
Let me say right up front that my score on this book is strongly influenced by my meta-understanding that there will be no more books in the series. If there were going to me more this book would be much more satisfying.

I continue to like this world and found that the character development enjoyable and believable. There were very hard choices that had to be made in this book and they were handled well with a mix of dread and resolute determination. The understanding Ray had of his boss and the
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Fast-paced, hard-hitting, and quite disturbing. Connolly pulls no punches with this latest in his very hard-edged magic noir series. I hope that somehow he is able to continue this series.

Overall rating: 4.5/5.0 stars.

Reviewed for Bitten by Books. http://bittenbybooks.com.
JJ DeBenedictis
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dang, I love these books. I'm so bummed the publisher had to cancel the series (and they seemed sorry about it too.) If the author decides to self-publish, I'll definitely keep buying this series.

As I quipped on Twitter, this book grabbed me like a facehugger from the Alien movies. It had me reading until late into the night (and wobbling with sleep-deprivation the next day.) The plot is gripping, and while the action moves quickly, the writing is so clean and skillful that you never get confus
Chris
3.5 stars. I didn't realize this paranormal/urban fantasy series wasn't continued past this book. D'oh. The ending does leave things in an ok place, I guess. But still. Hmph.
Ranting Dragon
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: garrett

The third installment in Harry Connolly’s Twenty Palaces series, Circle of Enemies returns us once again to the story of Ray Lilly. Continuing in the footsteps of its predecessors, Circle of Enemies is full of wonderfully gritty realism and a completely morally ambiguous protagonist who is a lot of fun to follow.

This time, it’s personal
Yes, the tagline is cheesy, but it’s the best way to sum up the initial premise of the novel. An ex-convict, Ray has survi
Shanshad Whelan
Got this book as a first reads giveaway from Goodreads. Happening to win this particular book was fortunate since I'd been aiming to read it anyway.

There's a lot of urban fantasy out there these days. There are also a lot of paranormal romances out there. Often it can be hard to tell the difference or mark exactly where a book crosses the line in subgenre. With Connolly's Twenty Palaces series that's not a problem in the slightest. This uber-violent take no prisoners series is the furthest thin
K. Bird Lincoln
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a fan of gritty/noir investigations, but boy does author Harry Connolly know how to draw you in and leave you no room for attention wandering.

I really enjoyed the first two books, but only at the 4 star level. I think this the first time in my reading career I've ever given a 5 start review to the third book in a series when the other two were 4 stars.

If you like Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden or Kevin Hearne's Atticus, and you haven't hung out yet with Connolly's Ray Lily, then you're tota
Murat
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is very good. I just wished that the series continued. Shame, such a good story...
Barb in Maryland
Sep 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f
I was about to give up on this series after the last book(Game of Cages). It was a grim series to start with and it looked to just keep getting grimmer. Well, I'm glad I didn't give up, because Circle of Enemies is a really good book. And it is a bit lighter in tone(but don't take that to mean it's a bundle of laughs). Ray is not an upbeat character and probably never will be.
Ray is back in sunny southern California because members of the car-heist gang he used to belong to have acquired some ma
Contrarius
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Once again, Harry Connolly comes up with bizarre monsters and impossible choices for his hero Ray Lilly to struggle against.

I like this series. It's different from most UF that I read -- these aren't your typical monsters, and Ray is often left so much in the dark that my heart really goes out to the guy. On the other hand, his "ghost knife" often seems like the Ginsu knife of the magic world -- it slices, it dices, it can do anything the plot requires of it. So at times Ray seems very underpow
Christopher Valin
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If Circle of Enemies were made into a film and marketed by the wrong people, the tagline would definitely read: "This time it's personal." Still, in a nutshell, that's what makes the third Twenty Palaces novel stand out from the other two. Rather than protagonist Ray Lilly running around meeting new people in a new place, he's back to his old haunts trying to figure out why one of his old group of friends is accusing him of killing them all. This one has all the things that made the first two bo ...more
Priscilla
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Harry Connolly is one of the most innovative new voices in Urban Fantasy, and I wish his sales numbers reflected how mind-blowingly awesometasticsauce his books are. Harry creates original monsters that are truly formidable, not just because they appear difficult to defeat, but because they are so strange and alien that those fighting them often have no idea what their weaknesses are, or if those who fall prey to the monsters have any chance of being saved. This series is gritty and brutal and u ...more
Ed Nemo
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
An excellent book! Better even than the first two! I love to see a series just get better and better because you know the next book is going to be an even bigger treat!

In this book the protagonists prove who they really are. The villains die, the world is safe and the good guys finally decide to make the world a better place.

I highly recommend this novel!
Richard
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
That this series was dropped and all prospects of a fourth book appear to be gone is an absolute tragedy. It's so rare to find a series which holds back explanations instead of just infodumping all the intricacies of the world. And having your good guys be mass murders and homicidal vigilantes is not something that you see much of. This series was unique all round so of course it gets dropped.
Michael Hoyt
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very sorry to discover that the series was cancelled after this episode.
Bo Williams
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Connolly is really hitting his stride with this series- some jaw-dropping, wtf-just-happened moments in this book, and a super satisfying ending. Can't wait for the next one!
Brett
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Circle of Enemies is number three of the series and, IMHO, the very best so far.
Gerard Coleman
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UF fans, Dresden fans
Shelves: myfantasy
The best so far. I'm looking forward to more from this author. These stories seem to get better as they go. Please tell me there will be more.
Christina
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am extreamly that there is no sequal to this series. I really enjoyed this series so far and I was looking forward to the next book. Hopefully in the future the series will continue.
Wendy Sahl
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I read so many "supernatural/paranormal" books, rarely is the main character a guy. So that was nice and fresh. The books (all three) are gritty and fast paced. Usually I'm reading to the end knowing it'll end in some vague form of temporarily happy ever after. But once you start you feel obligated to finish it. There was no happy ever after coming at the end of these books, but there didn't need to be. The details themselves pull you into the story. You turn the page for the next page
Gedvondur
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
In my estimation, Three Stars is a *good* book, well worth the read.

I tore through all three of the Twenty Palace books while camping over a few days. In this story, Connolly reveals a lot of the secrets and even more depth to his Twenty Palaces setting. Ray continues to evolve and Annalise gets much-needed depth. Connolly has set us up for more intricate stories in the future, with more intrigue with the Twenty Palace Society itself. Clearly Connolly is moving the story along, away from just c
Chrisette Trevino
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is Harry Connolly's third & final book of the Twenty Palaces novels. In this story, the wooden man, Ray, & his boss have a final battle against evil. Ray is on his own & has to earn his position with the organization by defeating his old friends in Las Vegas who have become infected with predators. Ray is determined to try & save his friends if he can. Life isn't always kind & fate steps in when it must. A good story, sorry to see the end of the series.
bogo_lode
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
This book is fantastic. It is the promise of the first two made real.
Airyie
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was the best of the series so far.
A lot of my gripes with the first two novels did not exist in this book.
Jeff Cadoff
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this series. Gotta say.
Kathy Davie
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Third in the Twenty Palaces urban fantasy series revolving around Ray Lilly, a man with a ghost knife who is both attracted and repelled by the organization for which he works.

My Take
Phfft...this is a bunch of "friends" Ray is much better off without! Friends who betray and rob each other at the drop of a hat.

How sick is this? Wally claims he's doing these things to his old circle because Ray helped him in high school???

Why is it people never seem to grasp when to shut up and be still in a dange
Garrett Jones
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing

The third installment in Harry Connolly's Twenty Palaces series, Circle of Enemies returns us once again to the story of Ray Lilly. Continuing in the footsteps of its predecessors, Circle of Enemies is full of wonderfully gritty realism and a completely morally ambiguous protagonist who is a lot of fun to follow.

This time, it's personal

Yes, the tagline is cheesy, but it's the best way to sum up the initial premise of the novel. An ex-convict, Ray has survi

Kristin
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ray Lilly hasn’t had much contact with the Twenty Palace Society or his sometime boss, Annalise Powliss, lately, until someone from his past mysteriously appears to him, telling him all of his old friends are going to die because of him. This has Ray heading back to L.A., his old home, to revisit the gang he used to run around committing crimes with years ago. Once there, he realizes magic is being used, predators are being loosed on Earth and he knows that, despite what it might mean for his fo ...more
Mikael
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I can't put my finger on why I don't like book 2 and 3 as much as I did book 1.

I only read this one because I knew it was the last one and wanted to "finish" the series.
John Bogart
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: modern-fantasy
The third book in the Twenty Palaces series is personal for Ray. Someone from his past comes to him and has clearly been impacted by magic. She's doomed and she tells Ray it's all his fault. He goes to take care of things. He's hoping to find a way to save them (the way he couldn't save his childhood best friend in the prequel, Twenty Palaces), but he's seen too much to be optimistic.

Like the earlier books (Child of Fire and Game of Cages), Ray is increasingly damaged by the past. In particular,
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • The Naming of the Beasts (Felix Castor, #5)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • The Road to Bedlam (Courts of the Feyre, #2)
  • Born of Hatred (Hellequin Chronicles, #2)
  • The Killing Floor Blues (Daniel Faust, #5)
  • In the House of the Wicked (Remy Chandler, #5)
  • Hard Day's Knight (Black Knight Chronicles, #1)

Twenty Palaces (4 books)
  • Twenty Palaces (Twenty Palaces, #0.5)
  • Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)