Start by marking “Backwards (Red Dwarf #4)” as Want to Read:
Backwards (Red Dwarf #4)

Backwards

(Red Dwarf #4)

This is the third adventure of the unlikely space heroes of the cult TV hit Red Dwarf – Lister, Rimmer, Kryten, Holly and the Cat – as they continue their epic journey through frontal-lobe-knotting realities. We join them just as Dave Lister has finally found his way back to planet Earth – which is good. What’s bad, however, is that time isn’t running in quite the right di ...more
Published by Penguin Books (first published February 5th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Backwards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backwards

David Sarkies
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Life in Reverse
23 April 2016

So, at the end of Better Than Life we leave Lister trapped in a universe in which time goes in reverse, namely because he had become so old (due to being caught up in a temporal distortion caused by a black hole) that when they encountered the polymorph he had literally been scared to death (or something like that – I'm not quite sure even though it was about a month ago that I actually read the book). Anyway, in an effort to save his life they take his body to an al
Jason
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am am huge fan of Red Dwarf, one of the best sci-fi series ever made and backwards is one of my favourite episodes. I was really pleased when Rob Grant decided to make this episode into a book. Reading the book was like reliving the episode but it was an extended version, everything from the episode is there and there was more new stuff. One of my favourite Red Dwarf scenes was The Cat doing a backwards poo. :)

If you've never watched Red Dwarf, it doesn't matter, read this book anyway as it is
Morgan Murray
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is Rob Grant's unadorned vision for Red Dwarf, as opposed to his collaborative view with Doug Naylor. Backwards follows Lister's journey to a planet going back in time, another encounter with Ace Rimmer and a tangle with some simulants - all of which have been covered in some way by the TV show.

Grant's description of Red Dwarf is a little darker than that found in the TV show, with more rounded characters. The Cat barely gets a look in, as Lister and Kryten dominate the book - the book's fu
Michiel
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Lastig om in te komen, maar zeker geen onaardig boek.
John Kirk
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Although this book was published after Last Human, I think of it as the third novel in the series, because it follows so closely from Better Than Life. Also, it seems fairly clear to me that Rob Grant brought most of the talent to the "Grant Naylor" gestalt.

This novel introduces some completely new ideas, as well as tying together several episodes from the TV series. (view spoiler)
Sandi
Oct 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm sorry to say that this one did not have an audio version read by Chris Barrie so I stuck with the written edition. Maybe it was the lack of Chris or maybe that Grant does need Naylor to balance him but I wasn't as happy with this outing.

I don't think I minded that there were less laughs and some of the humour was darker. What I did mind was that living backwards just couldn't sustain the concept for an entire book. I still laughed and enjoyed it but just not near as much as the first two. I
Christopher
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really loved the concept of writing a world that existed backwards. The writing was very clever and extremely fun. I felt that the story flagged a little when they escaped but the inclusion of "Ace" was interesting, and the epilogue really helped flesh the character out. Made me think of the little decisions I've made over the years to get me to where I am now and wonder which ones I could (or should) have avoided to be a better person.

The story was kind of dull around the whole killbot scenar
Abigail
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm so sad that I finished this
Jane
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was a disappointing read for me in comparison to the other Red Dwarf books. The core of the book is based across three well known episodes... episodes that happen to be three of my favourites. They are joint together in an interesting way but for me it just heavily diluted three sterling episodes into something only so-so.
Newly Wardell
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay this book isnt half as inspired by the combined amazingness of Grant Naylor. Some would argue that one half is in some way better than the other. Others would argue that one writer does more work than the other however, no one can say they after reading this book that is in anyway better than its predecessors. The jokes seem a bit forced and boy does Grant play into the hopelessness of their plight. I mean boy howdy, most of adventures on the Le Petit Rouge have a least a moments pleasure. ...more
Christa
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
So, I definitely consider this the third and final instalment in the Red Dwarf trilogy. It's not my favourite of the three but, of course, I still found it fantastic! I loved the elements of the show as well as the new plot points, like the agonoids and the detail into Ace's background.
There were some problems I had with it, like the fact that it wasn't all as connected as the previous two in terms of plot. For example, the 'Gunmen of the Apocalypse' plotline was definitely forced in there towar
Lily
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When people ask me for book recommendations, this is always my go-to.

No kidding, I was in tears from laughing while reading this book. It is absolutely hilarious and a must read for any Red Dwarf fan.

Some of the funniest moments in the series were taken from these pages and being able to read certain character's thoughts and reactions to the events unfolding is an added bonus.

Red Dwarf: Backwards, in my honest opinion, is hands down the best of the Red Dwarf books and the smegging funniest book
Gary E
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well this one took me a while to finish but that does not mean it was not enjoyable.

It is just as fun as the previous books in the series.

It really is great to read these far more detailed stories (as opposed to watching the TV episode(s) that the story became). We get a lot more insight into the characters and their back stories. Even if you are not a fan of the show these books are still good sci-fi and are worth reading.

If you are a fan of the show these are really must reads!
Billycongo
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Despite what the title says, it's the 3rd Red Dwarf book. The continuity of the last book to this book is much better.

The main story is taken from an episode of the TV Show and expanded. In this case they do a great job. They bring back 'Ace' Rimmer, and the gelfs, and it's quite enjoyable. I'd say that this is the best of the books, because I've already read Red Dwarf #4, 'The Last Human'.
Colleen Lawrence
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another enjoyable adventure with the boys from the Dwarf. It's interesting to see the difference in writing styles between Doug Naylor and Rob Grant, who wrote the first two books together before writing a their own sequel each. It's a little sad that there aren't any books to read, but at least there is more of the TV show being made.
Igor
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great until the Apocalypse virus bit which drags, otherwise still funny. Love Ace Rimmer :D
5y1v4r
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Only 3 stars because oh god was the first part on the backwards world hard to read. Once they get back into a normal time stream it settles back into a similar amusing sci fi romp as the first book.
Cary Keen
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Big fan of the dwarf.
C. Bella
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent,terrific and i love this book.
Charles Cascio
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Darker than the TV series and just as true in their own right.
Thomas Price
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The description of the Cat's first bowel movement in 'Backwards' is something that will stay with me forever!
Slick
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first 2.
Veronika Policerová
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story!! Even if you're not a Dwarfer, you'll love it! (Maybe you become a dwarfer after reading :) )
Dane Cobain
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Backwards is one of three Red Dwarf novels, but it’s the only one that Doug Naylor wasn’t involved with – to me, it’s noticeable, because whilst this is still a good book, it isn’t on a par with Better Than Life and Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers.

That said, it’s not just a simple novelisation of the episode with the same name, either – there’s a lot more depth to this, and Kristine Kochanski plays a huge role in the story line, too. There’s a lot of fun to be had here if you’re a fan of the s
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Finally, a Red Dwarf novel that is actually funny!
For those not acquainted, Red Dwarf is a hilarious science fiction comedy television series from the BBC. There are, to my knowledge, four novels based on the series. The first two (Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers and Better Than Life) were collaborative efforts by the show's two creators. They basically cannibalized episodes of the series. They both had humor, but the jokes were always undercut by a heavy feeling of darkness that hung over bot
Kythe42
Backwards by Rob Grant is the forth book based on the British science fiction comedy show Red Dwarf. The crew of Red Dwarf gets stranded in an alternate dimension on an alternate version of Earth where time runs in the opposite direction. Many years pass before they are able to escape this dimension and when they finally do, Red Dwarf isn't where they left it. With the limited supplies aboard their transport vessel, they must search for Red Dwarf in order to survive. This book was a fun quick re ...more
Bookcrazy
Ich bewerte das Buch jetzt mal (noch) nicht. Hab gerade entdeckt, dass es gar nicht Teil 3 sondern Teil 4 ist, ich wusste gar nicht dass die Reihe mehr als 3 Bände umfasst. Also erst mal den wirklichen Teil 3 lesen, vielleicht erklärt das einige Unklarheiten bzw. wirre Sprünge wobei ich einige Begebenheiten der Rückwärts-Welt schon genial bzw. ziemlich eklig fand.

FAZIT nach Band 3:
Man kann ruhig Teil 4 vorher lesen, da das Buch an die Ereignisse von Bd. 2 (Besser als das Leben) anschließt. Etwas
Rachael Hewison
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
This was definitely the weakest book so far. I actually found it really hard to get through. I miss the casual easiness of the first book where it was just some fantastic characters with some hilarious interactions on the Red Dwarf spaceship. In this book they're all over the place, jumping from planet to planet to new ships, into alternative universes and back into the Better than life reality game. I just felt like I couldn't keep up.

It did however start off well; I really liked the backwards
Chris Meigh
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Whilst Backwards may not be ground breaking literature it is certainly an entertaining conclusion (Well, one of the conclusions) to the Red Dwarf saga. Beginning on the Backwards Planet and ending with the shootout from Gunmen of the Apocalypse, Backwards chronicles the Red Dwarf crew on their journey to locate the ship, find Holly and insult Rimmer. Whilst the novel incorporates a few of the episodes from the series, there is enough fresh material to make it interesting enough for even a huge f ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Combining books 6 76 Oct 24, 2013 09:05AM
  • Last Human (Red Dwarf, #3)
  • Red Dwarf Omnibus: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers & Better Than Life (Red Dwarf #1-2)
  • Blackadder: The Whole Damn Dynasty, 1485-1917
  • Bachelor Boys: The Young Ones Book
  • The Road to Mars: A Post-Modem Novel
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words: Volume 1
  • They Came and Ate Us: Armageddon II: The B-Movie
  • The Man in the Rubber Mask
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6)
  • The Complete Yes Minister
  • Star Trek Generations (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • In the Beginning (Babylon 5)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #13)
  • Perchance to Dream
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Blood Oath
  • Final Reckoning: The Fate of Bester (Babylon 5: Saga of Psi Corps, #3)

Writes under the name Grant Naylor when collaborating with Doug Naylor

Red Dwarf (5 books)
  • Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers (Red Dwarf #1)
  • Better than Life (Red Dwarf #2)
  • Last Human (Red Dwarf, #3)
  • Red Dwarf: Programme Guide