Dismiss This group has been designated for adults age 18 or older. Please sign in and confirm your date of birth in your profile so we can verify your eligibility. You may opt to make your date of birth private.

Start by marking “Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1 (Blue Exorcist, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1  (Blue Exorcist, #1)

Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1

(Blue Exorcist #1)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  44,574 Ratings  ·  593 Reviews
Fight Hellfire With Hellfire!

Raised by Father Fujimoto, a famous exorcist, Rin Okumura never knew his real father. One day a fateful argument with Father Fujimoto forces Rin to face a terrible truth – the blood of the demon lord Satan runs in Rin's veins! Rin swears to defeat Satan, but doing that means entering the mysterious True Cross Academy and becoming an exorcist hi
Paperback, SHONEN JUMP ADVANCED Manga Edition, 200 pages
Published April 5th 2011 by VIZ Media LLC (first published August 4th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Ninha Sushi Well, in my opinion, I think 50/50 because they're creating the anime in different interpretations but the manga is the best bet to go for first. That…moreWell, in my opinion, I think 50/50 because they're creating the anime in different interpretations but the manga is the best bet to go for first. That goes for every movie that has an original (the book)(less)

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Wow! This was an excellent first volume. Consider me hooked! I'm excited to see how this sibling bond develops throughout the series.
Mal
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
say what you want about me
but don't diss my brother.
Lois Bujold
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: then, readers who like boys' adventure manga --> now, manga readers generally
One year later: I revisited this recently, and found a number of volumes had been added. It appears I'd read up to Vol. 9 before, and thought it all merely OK; starting in Vol. 10 an arresting new character was added, Lewin Light aka Lightning, who boosted the story up a whole level (and stole every scene he was in), and a new plot arc, ditto. (It actually takes till Vol. 16 for Light to get full traction.) For Vols. 10 - 19, which is what I've read of the new material so far, I'd call it a four ...more
Shannon
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another good start for a shounen manga! I had seen the first episode of the anime already so I knew what to expect; although I was kind of surprised the beginning in the manga wasn't as developed as it was in the anime, you get a much better understanding of why Rin fights with the boys and starts the whole mess in the anime than in here.

Definitely a lot crammed into this first volume, but thanks to reading Bakuman I'm wondering if that's because this was originally a one-shot that got turned in
Χαρά Ζ.
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When i first watched the anime a few years back i was like "Rin is my baby".
Now that i am reading the manga a few years later than that i am like "Rin is my baby".
Honestly, he is one of the most likeable characters. Everybody loves Rin <3
The manga is amazing, it is fun and emotional and if you like manga in general definitely give it a try.
*Ao no Exorcist will have its second anime season this winter and i am so fucking excited*
juan carlos
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
¿Para qué leer Blue exorcist?

1) Tiene muy buenos gráficos y peleas con demonios.
2) El sustento religioso y científico de los demonios, es perfecto, aprendes de estos seres sombríos acompañados de llamas.
3) Tiene momentos cómicos y muy divertidos, que te alegran el día.
4) Trata el tema del núcleo familiar y las relaciones de protección.
5) El protagonista aunque algo testarudo, es bastante creíble

Annie
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting story, but unfortunately not really what I was hoping for.
Siobhan
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shonen-jump
I had heard of Blue exorcist for a while before picking it up for myself from my local W.H.Smith.
I only picked it up because I thought it would give me something to read that afternoon, but boy, am I glad I bought it. I am hooked!
I've never been up to date with a Manga series; I purchased the other 3 that week, and have asked for the 5th for Christmas, which was released last week.

I think the art style of Blue exorcist is lovely. I love how the characters look their age. I think there's nothing
Veronica Morfi
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So good to be reading about Rin and the rest of the gang again. I've missed them :)
Now on to the next one.
SyaSya Syed Nasir
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very nice graphic novel. Never have I expected I would be interested in reading graphic novel. Oh well, gonna search for the second book once I'm finish with the third graphic novel I bought together with this one.
Elizabeth
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, 2015, 4-stars
This was great! I watched the anime a few years back and I'm pleased to say that the humor and characters that made the anime one of my favorites was translated directly from the manga. Since I'm not sure if they'll be making any more seasons of the anime (cries), I'll have to start reading this regularly.
Mizuki
I read the first volume, it's decent but there's nothing new in the story. It doesn't keep me interested enough to read the next volume.
Julia
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Die Idee gefällt mir =D
Mary ♥
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
What should I saw about Blue Exorcist Vol 1?
First of all,the word 'addicting' is a small one for such a Manga.
This is nit actually gonna be a proper review,mostly 10 reasons to try this manga:
•It has awesome characters.Only the fact that Rin is my anime crush is enough:D
•It has awesome pictures and an awesome plot
•It's BETTER than the anime of course!
•It's action packed
•It is full of plot twists
•It's funny
•It's got amazing fantasy elements and an amazing world building
•It's got mystery
•The serie
Lucile
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mangas, owning
This is probably one of my fave manga, how couldn't I think about it ?! I've discovered this beauty at the beginning of the year, and it is just awesome and refreshing ! However it is really slow and the books come really late in France (and I don't like to read scans on Internet).
Victoria ♡
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-manga
I feel like im cheating my challenge with all this manga but oh welllll...

I've needed to read this series ever since I saw the anime! The manga really does not disappoint and I love it!
Kate (Reading Through Infinity)

I watched the first season of the anime a while ago and absolutely loved the action and drama, so I was pleasantly surprised to find the the manga is just as dynamic.

The art style is very similar in both mediums and the characters are just as vivid and spirited. I think the anime does a better job of explaining the world, the demons, and Rin's powers, but for a first volume this really grabs your attention, and keeps you captivated. I've already started volume two and can definitely se
Taylor Ramirez
Sara Williams
Book #13

Surprisingly very good! Blue Exorcist follows two siblings and their life changes when Rin (our main character) finds out he is a demon. But not just any demon. Satan's son.
So he enters in a new school to learn how to be an exorcist and combat all evil, and his brother does as well.

The art is pretty simple but very beautiful. This first volume is self explanatory and I truly enjoyed it and felt eager to pick up the rest. I have watched the anime series before, though, so nothing is new.

I
Gina
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
gah, I knew I should have put more than 1 volume on hold at the library! Loving this so far!
Fatemeh
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
خیلی خوب بود!!!
اول انیمه رو دیدم و حالا اومدم سراغ مانگا. شخصیت های رین و یکیو فوق العاده دوست داشتنی ان. تقریبا من همه رو توی این داستان دوست داشتم، حتی ساتان :دی رین از ان شخصیت هاییه که با وجود تمام حماقت ها و اشتباهاتش آدم ازش خوشش میاد.
پلات هم خیلی دوس داشتنیه. یه فانتزی نو و قشنگ :)
Joanaf
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
3,5 estrelas
78sunny
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super Zeichenstil, geniale Story. Ich muss die Reihe unbedingt weiter lesen.
Iris Simons
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sue Moro
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Blue Exorcist #1

Fifteen year old Rin Okumura has been living at a monastery with his fraternal twin brother, Yukio. During an argument with his guardian, Father Fujimoto, Rin comes to discover that he is a demon, but not just any demon. He is in fact the Antichrist, the spawn of Satan! Yukio, who is the weaker of the twins, failed to absorb the demonic power of their father but became aware that demons existed at a very young age, unlike his brother who is shocked by the news. Fujimoto, who is a
Jessica-Robyn
Well that was fun!

After this first volume, I'm really liking the overall concept of Blue Exorcist and am interested to see where it goes. I mean, bastard children of Satan produce some of my favourite characters. Exhibit A: Raven, bastard daughter of super demon Trigon from the Teen Titans. I would love to see how this story develops.

In volume one were given a lot of establishing details at breakneck speed. I'll admit that it was all a little too rushed for my liking. The content of this volum
Amethyst
4.5/5 stars

(This isn't really a part o the review. Well, I guess it's more of a pre-review.)
I remember loving the anime for this, and wanting to know what happens next for these characters when I reached the last episode. However, I wasn't much of a manga reader back then, so I didn't pick up the manga right away. Lately, I've been reading more manga and I've decided to finally read the manga for this series. ^.^

I've heard that it is a lot better than the anime--and the anime is already so fan
Lenni✨ (Whenimetabook)
5/5 estrellas.

TREMENDO VIAJE ME PEGUÉ CON ESTE MANGA.

Había mirado el anime hace muchísimo tiempo y recordaba poco y nada, pero sí sabía que me había encantado. Me compré los primeros dos tomos hace un par de años y no leí el primero hasta ahora, y la verdad es que no sé qué se supone que estuve esperando porque me fascinó.

Lo principal, siempre amé a Rin. Además, el diseño de personajes es de lo más hermoso y la guía que le han agregado al final es espectacular, pues nos permite aprender un montó
usagi ☆ミ
I’ve been a big fan of this series since its initial serialization in Jump Square magazine a few years back, so you can imagine my excitement when I found out that it was being released here – and that Viz was translating it. So I dug in happily, and was quite pleased to find that Viz got it right, and it isn’t even apart of their SigIkki line, so no special effort was needed. The English adaptation was more or less seamless – which was to be expected as this series doesn’t really have many cult ...more
Which Brother is better? Demon or human? 35 114 Oct 22, 2018 09:55AM
Manga 1 4 Aug 16, 2018 05:45PM
Visual Novels Boo...: Blue Exorcist 1 Discussion 2 5 Aug 31, 2017 05:01AM
Anime lovers103: Blue Exorcist 2 5 Mar 03, 2017 09:14AM
IGGPPC Iggle Book...: June 2015 Manga: Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1 2 18 Aug 09, 2015 09:26PM
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. #6 (D.Gray-man, #6)
  • Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee, Volume 1
  • Black Butler, Vol. 3 (Black Butler, #3)
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 1
  • Bakuman, Band 1: Traum und Realität
  • Pandora Hearts, Volume 3
  • Zombie-Loan, Vol. 1
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 02 (Soul Eater, #2)
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Volume 1
  • 07-Ghost, Volume 01
Kazue Kato, 加藤和恵, is a Japanese mangaka.

See also authors with similar names.

Blue Exorcist (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Blue exorcist, Tome 2
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 3
  • Blue exorcist, Tome 4
  • Blue exorcist, Tome 5
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 6
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 7
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 8
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 9
  • 青の祓魔師 10 [Ao no Exorcist 10] (Blue Exorcist, #10)
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 11
“I'm not a human or a demon anymore. In which case.. I'll have to be an Exorcist!” 66 likes
“From.. from now on.. I will protect my brother in father's stead.” 31 likes