Start by marking “The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)

The Hero Strikes Back

(Hero #2)

In a realm beset by natural disasters, only the magical abilities of the bonded Pairs—Source and Shield—make the land habitable and keep the citizenry safe. The ties that bind them are far beyond the relationships between lovers or kin—and last their entire lives…Whether they like it or not.

The weather in the city of High Scape is off the charts. It’s snowing in the middle
Published August 29th 2006 by Ace (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Hero Strikes Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hero Strikes Back

Jacob Proffitt
Jan 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Again, whoever did these covers (or approved them or paid someone to create them) is a malignant toad and should be mocked out of polite society. Seriously, this is beyond antagonistic to the author, everybody who read the books despite the cover, and, more importantly, to everybody put off by them who didn't get to enjoy an otherwise solid read with interesting characters and good stories.

Everything I liked about the first book is there in this one as well, and stronger. Yeah, I wanted to smack
Felicia
Aug 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
The series really warms up with this book. BIG improvement over the first in the series, the characters are more comfortable, there's witty banter, an interesting plot line and great progress in the main relationship. Total page turner!
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews

We got more background from Taro in this one which was good, but the plot was boring and I did skim a little because of that.

Hopefully the next book is better.
Katie
4 1/2 stars (I normally try to pick one direction, but I couldn't this time!)

A lot stronger than the first one! I love the way the relationship between Lee and Taro is deepening. And it was so great to get a glimpse of both of their mothers.

I also appreciate that, for all that these are light books, serious questions are raised about the world they live in.

Anyway. I can't seem to write very in depth reviews of these books, but GOOD.

Re-read August 2014
Angie
Apr 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-uns, fantasy
The Hero Strikes Back is the second book in Moira J. Moore's Hero series and it is, as promised (you were dead on, Ann), even better than the first book. Thankfully, Moore doesn't spend a lot of time trying to catch new readers up, but plunges right into the new plot with wonderful abandon. Lee and Taro are still stationed in High Scape, but conditions are rather eerie. Instead of its usual string of natural disasters, the city is languishing under unprecedented weather anomalies. Snowstorms in ...more
Bethany
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In my opinion this one improves on the first book. Lee and Taro, while flawed and opinionated, are now really close with each other. Once again they end up in the middle of a crazy person's scheme to kill a bunch of people. Things get political. We also meet their mothers (hint: Lee's is normal, Taro's is horrific). I thought the emotional conversations were really well done, not too over-the-top. I also really enjoyed the deeper look at this world's social classes.

My main issue with the plot w
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Most people seem to like this book more than the first book, but I actually enjoyed this less. I think the plot of this book is weaker than the first, and not only that, it is a bit messier, with several subplots that border on family melodrama.

I think one of the worst things about first person pov is being stuck in the head of someone you don't really like. Ok, I do like Lee, but there is an immaturity to her inner thoughts that seems incongruous with the supposedly stoic and rational nature o
Katyana
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, series
Another fun installment. I still don't really get exactly what all was going on, though. Taro was incredibly moody, as were the people of High Scape in general. Lee's bit of speculation as to why (at the end) was nice, but it would be great to get some real detail on that.

It was great (though heart-breaking) to get to know both Lee and Taro's families, as well as all the added insight that gives us into their personalities.

And I assume that we'll get more information on these expanding abilities
Tani
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ever since I read the first book in this series, I've been taunting myself with the second, reading the first page or two, and then ultimately putting it down in favor of something else. This time, however, I finally decided to finish it up. And now I'm struggling with what to say about it.

Here's my conundrum. I'm in a reading slump, in a general life slump, with not much being able to hold my interest. So I struggled with the beginning of this book much more than I had expected I might. I felt
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, to-sort
Zimt
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Hero Strikes Back" is the continuation of Mrs. Moore's "Hero" series and the second book in said series.

The book's plot starts around one year after the events of the first book. Taro and Lee are still posted in High Scape, but now it has become a cold site. (A Cold Site is a place without natural disasters.) This does not mean everything is fine since now the weather is acting really strange. It is summer but it snows and then suddenly a heat wave hits the town. The residents are angry and
Coucher de soleil
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-read
I really enjoyed this one. The world building was as well done as in the first novel in the series. Also, one aspect I particularly enjoyed was the character development: I truly enjoyed the fact that the characters seemed to mature and evolve as individuals. I also loved the fact that the main characters were fleshed out in this novel -we learned a lot about what made them the way they are. The adventure in the novel was truly gripping and quite suitably creepy and frightening (especially towar ...more
Martha
I really enjoyed this book. Like really, REALLY enjoyed it. :) This is steadily becoming one of my favourite series, which I so didn't expect. Ugh! I need the next book immediately!

The characters just make the book – and I absolutely love their interactions. There was some really interesting ones in this second book and tons of character development. I didn't think it was possible for me to love Karish/Taro (though I STILL don't know what I should be calling him...) even more, but this book prov
Grace
Book number two in Moira J. Moore's Hero Series, "The Hero Strikes Back," finds Source Karish, Shield Lee, and all of the other Pairs in High Scape bearing the brunt of the regulars' anger regarding the weather. Blizzard conditions in the middle of summer ruined crops and livelihoods, leaving many people destitute and/or dead. Regulars couldn't understand why the Pairs were not doing anything to rectify the weather and grew increasingly angry about having to financially support Pairs while not g ...more
Sunhi
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Blogged at: http://sunhibooks.blogspot.com/2011/0...

I'm still amazed at how much I'm enjoying this series. While I definitely did not enjoy the continuation of Lee and Karish's story as much as the first book, this story gives us some great insight into why both Lee and Karish are the way they are (with conversations with both mothers), and it gives a good plot involving High Scape (the weather and its relationship to a bunch of aristocrat hate killings).

Lee frustrates a bit more in this book th
Jai
Jun 23, 2008 rated it liked it
After their last adventures, the Pair is back in the city of High Scape, normally a hotbed of disasters which the Pairs must avert. Now there are odd climate changes, but not disasters, and on top of that Lee is afraid for Taro because minor nobles have been disappearing. Again Lee is the narrator of this story so we see everything from her perspective. I get the feeling that although she's supposed to be an observant and quiet Shield, she misses a lot about other people and how they perceive he ...more
Denise
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016, own
Lee and Taro are back on duty in High Scape, where once again things are not quite normal. Rather than an unusually high number of catastrophic events, it is the weather that is going crazy this time, with a sudden cold snap and deep snow in the middle of summer. The populace is not at all thrilled to hear that there's nothing the Sources and Shields can do about the strange phenomenon, and aggressive behaviour against anyone belonging to the Triple S service begins to mount. Meanwhile, both our ...more
Amy
Dec 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Andree
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I liked this a lot. Seriously enjoying this series. Mostly for the banter.

I was intrigued by the family stuff in this one. Karish's mother is just plain awful - no surprise there. Lee's is more complicated though. It's interesting. (view spoiler)
Bird
Dec 06, 2010 rated it liked it
This series is just plain old fun. The concept is different than anything I've encountered before (granted I don't read much straight fantasy, usually leaning more toward the romance end of the spectrum). There was a good mystery mixed into the story, and Lee wasn't too slow on the uptake, which was a plus.

The one annoying this is that Lee's personality grates on me a bit. Her inner dialogue sometimes comes off as trying too hard to be witty/sarcastic. And she has these high-and-mighty morals (s
Adam
Nov 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, cool-magic
Not sure how to put this, but let's try.

This book is really, really obvious. Solutions are not subtle and you'll be yelling at the book over the obviousness of things characters are overlooking. By keeping the books short it's hard to hide anything; you have a limited pool of information to infer from. But the author is fair and writes with a good voice, so it's forgivable.

This book also overdoes the Shield-Source stuff from the first book. It could be a system of magic based on Autism+ADHD pair
RogueHireling
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Super disappointed with this book as I like the first one quite a bit.

All the characters are super irritable and irrational almost the entire book and its never really resolved. But then there are quite a few gaping plot holes and unresolved story lines.

My biggest gripe though is with the main character and her inconsistency. She is bummed because she feels like she is lying, but then she is doing something about 'things' and isn't lying, but then is she really lying. UGH!! The whining really g
Jage
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series, fantasy, meh
There's something about this series that grabs me and makes me want to read but at the same time, there's something that turns me off of it. I think it's the characters but I can't say what it is exactly that rubs me the wrong way, just that it does.
Kacey
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
These are books that have a decent foundation character wise, but man is this plot a mess as both a standalone, and as a greater series. Sigh, if I end up reading any of the other books it's because I'm a completest rather than I suddenly expect them to become great.
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly intelligent and interesting despite the ridiculous cover. I really liked Lee's mother. I hated that she left when she did. 3.5 stars for me, rounded up to 4.
Cheryl Howard
Moore has accomplished some solid world building and character development with this series. Lee and Taro are unique individuals with their own strengths and weaknesses that are exploited well by the plot, and there's always great banter and a good amount of humor in Lee's sometimes sardonic commentary. However, these solid elements are hampered by a too predictable plot and a main character whose faults frustrated me more than entertained me.

As a Shield, Lee has muted sensibilities. She doesn't
Ruth
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!! I liked it more than the first book. Knowing the world and the characters already, I was excited to see their development, and I was not disappointed. The main obstacle added to the fantasy and it was fun to watch them develop their powers. We also got to see the characters interact with their mothers, which allowed us to see more of who the characters are themselves. I actually really liked Lee and Karish's friendship in this book; they trust each other and they have a closeness tha ...more
Katelynn
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, adult, fantasy
I maybe liked this one a smidge less than book 1, but not really.

... I tried to write a real review of this book but it mostly devolved into "my dumb babies, I adore you" and "let me love you, Taro".

So. Uh. Yeah.

Book 3 is on its way! I really can't wait to devour the rest of this series.
Robbin
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
These books are actually way better than the cover art leads them to be. They are page turners that pull you in and you want to continue to read the series just to see what happens. Oh and is that a hint of romance I’m picking up on? Why yes, yes it is.
Rosina
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
These books are honestly so wonderful. They aren't what you'd expect even from the plot and the characters and relationships are wonderful.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• All Spell Breaks Loose (Raine Benares, #6)
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
  • Princess at Sea (Princess, #2)
  • The Mage's Daughter (Nine Kingdoms, #2)
  • Cast in Secret (Chronicles of Elantra, #3)
  • Heroics for Beginners
  • The Laurentine Spy
  • Reader and Raelynx (Twelve Houses, #4)
  • Spectyr (Book of the Order, #2)
  • Warsworn  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2)
  • The Trouble with Kings
  • Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)
I started writing my first book when I was fourteen. I was sitting in class, bored out of my mind, and I started writing a story about a girl sitting in class, bored out of her mind. Except her class was in a school of wizardry. That story turned into a book. An awful book that I tried and failed to get published. I'm grateful the internet wasn't a thing back then, because I surely would have put ...more

Hero (7 books)
  • Resenting the Hero (Hero, #1)
  • Heroes Adrift (Hero, #3)
  • Heroes at Risk (Hero, #4)
  • Heroes Return (Hero, #5)
  • Heroes at Odds (Hero, #6)
  • Heroes' Reward (Hero, #7)
“You get irritated when I say I'm not angry and you get irritated when I say I am angry. I can't win."
"Because you just saying whatever you think will shut me up," he accused me.
"Aye, but it's not working."
"Argh!" was his response, and he charged on down the street.”
23 likes
“There was alliteration happening all over the place in that sentence.” 13 likes