Start by marking “Dinosaur Planet (Dinosaur Planet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur Planet (Dinosaur Planet, #1)

Dinosaur Planet

(Dinosaur Planet #1)

THE MISSION

The Exploratory and Evaluation Corps of the Federated Sentient Planets had sent ARCT-10, with its mixed crew of shipbred and planet-bound technicians, to Ireta to catalogue fauna and flora and search for new energy sources. It was a simple mission. A standard crew.

THE PROBLEM

Kai and his beautiful co-leader Varian, the best xen
Mass Market Paperback, 202 pages
Published May 12th 1978 by Del Rey (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaur Planet

John
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
1979 grade B-
2018 grade B

Series book DP1

This is a character development and world building novel with characters from various backgrounds and ages exploring a planet with plants and animals that don't really belong together. The reading is a little dry but worth it. Will I read it again? Maybe, if I live long enough. Note that the story does have a conclusion, but it is open ended. Maybe the sequel will tell us if they survive long term.

Note, the sequel does conclu
Jeffe Kennedy
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's a word for re-reading a book from your youth that you just LOVED and being disappointed in it as an adult. This book still has elements that sparked my imagination and interest back then, but a lot of it sadly didn't hold up. I'm still four-starring it, for all it meant to me back then, but I don't think I'd recommend it to a modern reader sadly.
Sam (Hissing Potatoes)
This book was completely unnecessary. The events were already covered, I suspect sometimes word for word, in the Planet Pirates series. There was almost no action in this book, no trajectory, no spice or flavor, no character growth whatsoever. It takes a special case to mess up literal dinosaurs in space. Boring, flat, clinical, disappointing.
Kelly Harlan
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Very slow to start. During that time I decided I wasn't going to read the sequel. And then it finally got interesting at the end. And I almost want to read the sequel.
Melissa (ladybug)
Thought I wasn't going to really like this book/series, but it really got better the last few chapters.
Amy Eye
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wanted to do some good, old-school fiction, and one can hardly do better than some Anne McCaffrey. Of course everyone knows about her world of Pern, but have you been to Ireta?

A scientific team of explorers go to a new planet to explore and look for ore deposits that make life for this future race of beings possible. They explore planets all over the galaxy looking for metals that these people use to survive. Only this planet, at first, doesn't seem to have anything they are looking for. A bi
Douglas Milewski
Jun 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Anne begins1978's Dinosaur Planet with a sawed-off shotgun full of technobabble, firing indiscriminately in all directions. Not satisfied with abusing readers with tedious technical detail on the first page, she continues this neutronium thick technobabble for the next 50 pages, which is 1/4 of the book. The technobabble is so thick that there isn't even any room for a plot, not even the vaporously thin plot of this book.

Somewhere around page 50, the technobabble shots simmer down to
Shawn
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, fantasy
I wanted to like this book more. It has so many fun ideas... a multi-species exploration federation, variants of humans from different types of worlds, prehistoric earth animals placed on an alien planet... the problem is that these ideas don't really shape up to anything.
McCaffrey begins to build the story (admittedly with some jargon thrown in) as a bit of a mystery - odd discoveries and missing equipment and the like. She builds things up quite a bit. Around the middle of the book, I was set
Jeneé
I've read a few other Anne McCaffrey books before and I've never really been able to get into her stories. I decieded to give it another try when I found Dinosaur Planet. I love dinosaurs so I thought it would be a good read. Well I was somewhat dissapointed. There are very minimal dinosaurs and they aren't really that important to the story. The actual story was ok but you can deffinitly tell that this whole book is just a set up to it's sequel "Dinosaur Planet Survivors". Everything that happe ...more
Amanda
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Garrett Calcaterra
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: influences
A pretty light, fast read. Not McCaffrey's best book. The tension throughout relies on the characters figuring out what's obvious to the readers (i.e. the dinosaurs really are dinosaurs, and the heavy worlders are planning to mutiny). Also, the notion that the heavy worlders are savages in large part because they're not vegetarians seems pretty heavy-handed. Still, it's a fun story, and the ending has a good bit of action. Nothing is resolved, mind you, so if you read it, be ready to jump into t ...more
Emilie Dalby
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
So very disappointing. It cannot hold a candle to Anne's Pern books. The plot is thin, even for a book of less than 200 pages, and it seems that it came as an afterthought somewhere around page 50. The title so misleading, given that the hapless xenobiologist only realised that she was dealing with dinosaurs at page 150ish, and then the entire mission falls apart as the heavyworlders, unprovoked and poorly explained, decides to kill all others by dino stampede.
I'm not impressed, and I will not
Coral Davies
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
A very slow start littered with either made up terminology or scientific phrases I was ignorant of. Once the story kicked in it was an enjoyable little read and I raced through it. Not sure if I'll read the second book though.
Hank Hoeft
A well-known adage for writing fiction says to “shoot the sheriff on the first page.” I don’t agree with that advice in every narrative—in my opinion it depends on the pacing and length of the story in question. Longer stories can take their time getting to the action and still be compelling. But I understand the principle: a writer needs to grab the reader’s interest soon after the story begins. Toni Morrison understood this when she began her novel Paradise with “They shoot the white girl first, but t ...more
Stef Rozitis
Some parts of this were interesting, like the idea that a civilised society would go vegan (although they call it vegetarian). There's sort of racist tropes in the book, and the world-building while thorough is hard to understand without more context (should I have read something before this one and if so why is that not made clear?).

Kai and Varian have a predictable and boring heterosexual romance and there is pointless stuff about Kai's previous sexual history at the beginning. The
Sherrill Watson
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Too much technobabble evident in the first chapters. Dinosaur Planet gives the reader a too-obvious clue about the inhabitants of the planet. The sexes of Kai and Varian are difficult to guess at first; tho everyone is vegetarian, the crew giving the not-too-bright heavy-worlders only the heavy lifting to do was a huge set-up. It moves along at a good, interesting, clip however, until the ending. I was angry that "our" people couldn't think of SOMETHING to do, or move SOMEWHERE else on the plane ...more
Nicole
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this because DINOSAURS in SPACE, but the main characters were flat, supporting characters were just a jumble of made-up names impossible to keep track of, and there wasn’t really much of an ending (because there is a second book to this slow and mediocre story). The science and perceptions are super dated which makes it hard to imagine this being set in a technologically advanced future (ie tapes, printouts, and hand drawn maps on the spaceship). It wasn’t a horrible read ...more
Lorenzo
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked how this novel was highly detailed. I learned tons of new words. For example, suppuration, abrogation, magnanimity, undulate, etc. The diction is interesting and the hardcore action, like someone else mentioned in a review, doesn't really start until the second half of the book. Regardless of that, all of the seemingly less action-packed moments from the first half of the novel have significance later. Also, the ending leaves us with a cliffhanger and I now want to read the rest o ...more
Hannele Kormano
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid science fiction. I would not recommend reading the blurb on the back as it has too many spoilers, but then, the title itself is a bit of a spoiler that doesn't get confirmed by the characters until 3/4 of the way through the book. Another small warning, this ends in a bit of a cliffhanger, so you might want to have the Survivors handy when you finish 😅
Marsha
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Really should be packaged as one book, along with Dinosaur Planet Survivors. Put together they rate a 5, but the first book just sort of stops, leaving everything in limbo. Just make sure you get both books.
Erika
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vintage-sci-fi
This book has some of my favorite alien species to sit juxtaposed to humans despite it being about a place nicknamed Dinosaur Planet. I've noticed some typos that make me wonder if this was a draft churned out into a book a little too quickly, but I still really enjoy it.
Kat
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
Largely inoffensive and enjoyable. Not Anne McCaffrey's very best work but it is still miles ahead of her more flawed writing. Unfortunately this does not stand alone to the extent it's functionally half a book.
Nate Thern
It's clearly a setup for the sequel ... there is, after all a book entitled DINOSAUR PLANET SURVIVORS. However, as an individual novel this is probably the weakest Anne McCaffrey book I've ever read. I may increase its rating from 2 to 3 stars if the sequel proves out.
Jessie
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I think I need to go back to science class since I only knew about 10% of the terminology in this book. I kept reading though, only because I was curious as to how the story would play out.
Fullfaun
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
Recommended by a friend
Leelan
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, fantasy, classic
Old Anne McCaffrey book. I haven't reread it since it was first published. I forgot that there were going to be others in the series. I may have to look for them.
Emma Darcy
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Fuck eugenics
Julia
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed except the Hadrosaurs.
Stu
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Started and finished in one afternoon - competent little novella. 2.5 stars for the book, further 0.5 star for indulging my thing for dinosaurs.
A
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
A little slow to start but the story picked up in the last third. A bit of a cliffhanger ending so it’s definitely meant to be read with the following book(s). Two and a half stars.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • The People of Pern
  • Star of Danger (Darkover, #15)
  • The Avatar
  • The Wind's Twelve Quarters, Volume 1
  • The Exile Waiting
  • A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)
  • Hunting Party (The Serrano Legacy, #1)
  • The Best of Frederik Pohl
  • The Gentle Giants of Ganymede (Giants, #2)
  • The Fleet (The Fleet, #1)
  • Quicksilver's Knight (Warlock's Heirs, #2)
  • Fire Season (Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington, #2)
  • Brother Assassin (Berserker, #2)
  • Cachalot (Humanx Commonwealth, #8)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virgi

Dinosaur Planet (2 books)
  • Dinosaur Planet Survivors (Dinosaur Planet, #2)