Start by marking “Juniper Berry” as Want to Read:
Juniper Berry

Juniper Berry

Juniper's parents have not been themselves lately. In fact, they have been cold, disinterested and cruel. And lonely Juniper Berry, and her equally beset friend, Giles, are determined to figure out why.

On a cold and rainy night Juniper follows her parents as they sneak out of the house and enter the woods. What she discovers is an underworld filled with contradictions: on
Published April 26th 2011 by Walden Pond Press

To ask other readers questions about Juniper Berry, please sign up.
Jaylyn I read this book in 5th grade I am in 6th grade now. I say it is a little more creepy than you expect

Misty
When I came across this on Goodreads, it became one of those things that just takes over your brain.  Or takes over my brain, anyway... Everything from the cover to the title to the fantastic little tag line just called to me.  So when I was offered a copy out of the blue, of course I casually said, Oh, thanks but nah.... O_O  Or HELLS YEAH.  It was one of the two.
And when it came in the mail (so if you went with Choice 1, sorry, you lose), I promptly sat down and made short work of it.  And tho
Pierce
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Better than Coraline and not as scary. I wish this was made into a movie instead of that creepy book.
Sophie Janet
Jan 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
This cover gives me a "To Kill a Mockingbird" vibe.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

Juniper Berry is a fabulous middle grade mixed with fantasy, mystery, twists and great characters. The story has a powerful message of being careful of one's true desires and what you wish for. Outback in Juniper's spacious backyard lies a tree which leads to a world controlled by an evil man who prays on the weak minded making their desires and dreams come true. Everything comes at a price and not everything is what it seems. "Be careful what you wish for".

Juniper Berry is such a fabul
Cathy
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Juniper Berry is an only child who lives in a beautiful mansion, yet she longs for life the way it used to be before her parents became famous movie stars. In the past, Juniper’s parents spent lots of time with her, reading lines from the scripts Juniper would write. But things have changed in the Berry home, and Juniper’s parents are now distant and cold. Her mother has even lost the sparkle in her eyes. While exploring the woods behind her home, Juniper and her friend Giles discover a strange ...more
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
I love delving into worlds featuring the fantastic. If left up to me, life would be a fantasy...or a fairy tale. I love novels brimming with epic quests and the discovery that comes as a child discovers him/herself. JUNIPER BERRY by M.P. Kozlowsky fills all of these requirements, albeit in a creepy, unforgiving way. The novel’s children, Juniper and Giles, are forced to grow up as them embark on a journey to save their parents.

Everyone has been comparing JUNIPER BERRY to the little-known tale TH
Alison
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Deliciously spooky!

I will never look at a red latex balloon the same again!
"A Tale of Terror and Temptation" is the phrase on the cover of Juniper Berry, and it's right on the money. This clever Middle Grade book takes you on a modern-day morality tale, with precocious Juniper Berry as the guide.

My 8 year old son read the first chapter and handed Juniper Berry back to me saying, "It's for girls!" Well, I am a girl, sure, but I have to totally disagree with him!

Juniper encounters a new friend, Gi
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg, debut-2011
Sometimes the key to writing something scary is to simply write the truth. M. P. Kozlowsky in his debut middle grade novel Juniper Berry combines just the right aspects of the truth with powerful storytelling for a novel that grabs you from beginning to end. Juniper Berry has everything in some ways except for the attention and affection of her famous parents. She wishes for friends, for a life outside of her family's home, and most importantly for her parents to see her again. While exploring t ...more
babyhippoface
This is a deceptive cover. I love the art; it's graceful and willowy. But there is some seriously--seriously--creepy stuff in here.

Juniper's famous parents (think Brangelina) are not themselves lately. They're angry, shallow, and their eyes seem hollow. They don't seem to care about Juniper anymore, either. in an attempt to find out why they've changed, Juniper follows them one night to the base of a tree, where they just...disappear. Determined to save her family,
Juniper goes after them, and
April
I very much enjoy when books creep me out and give me goosebumps. Juniper Berry by MP Kozlowsky read in 2011 for the Dewey 24 Hour Readathon accomplished this. Juniper, the titular main character, has celebrity parents. You’d think her life is baller, but lately her parents have been acting weird, with no time nor thoughts to spare for her. Juniper then makes a friend, Giles, who is a lonely and neglected boy dealing with the same issues as her.

Read the rest of my review here
Zoë✨
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was freaking great and really not what I expected at all! Two major thoughts:

1. Much scarier than I thought it would be. If I would have read this as a kid, I would have had nightmares for SURE. They should make this into a horror film.

2. I found so many parallels to the Gospel in this book, which totally made my heart swell, especially at the end. I feel like I could write an essay about all the metaphors and similes here. So so good.

Would recommend for anyone that loves a good scar
Rachel Fisher
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I totally get the Snicket vibe with this one. A really fun read!
Holly
Even though I'm too old for them, I love reading middle grade books. Last year I ended up reading a number of middle grade books, many of them of a "creepy" variety (think ghosts, murder, mysteries, etc.). After reading The Aviary (which sort of disappointed me, unfortunately), Goodreads started recommending Juniper Berry to me. Even though the cover art didn't really appeal to me, I decided to give Juniper Berry a try. I know we're not supposed to judge books on their covers - but I can't help ...more
Harley Bennett
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good suspense story for middle-grade readers.
Ashley
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I quite liked this one. It would be an easy one day read but I started it off pretty slow, but about half way through, I just needed to finish :)
I loved Juniper and her realistic strength and sense of self. I would love to understand more about the underworld secrets but thought this was a fabulous middle grade adventure 💕
Mopple
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful... Deep, moving, evocative artwork, simple and perfect.
Kristen
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First Impression:
I had been eying this book since I had heard about it. The cover struck me first and then I just had to read it because it was a modern fairy tale, and I absolutely love fairy tales. It definitely looks a little frightening on the cover and was looking forward to an interesting read.

While Reading:
It's funny how something strikes you in a conversation. I remember a discussion about how authors write parents in MG and YA literature and how there's always an excuse to get them out
Estella
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was the first real book I read and I remember it being realllllllly good. I think I was in third or fourth grade (dont judge me, I didnt really like reading back then). But it was so good that I reread it directly after I finished it. Well anyways, its spooky, its gripping and all in all its a really good story. Now go read it, if you havent already. ...more
Danielle Larca
Nov 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Juniper Berry’s parents have been acting very strange lately. The days when they all used to make pizzas together or put on one of Juniper’s plays are just a memory that grows more and more distant each day. It seems as though the more famous they become (her parents are movie stars), the less interest they have in Juniper.

Without friends or her parents, Juniper spends one lonely day after another pacing her gargantuan mansion and its expansive grounds with her dog, Kitty. One day, she meets a
Brittany
Juniper Berry's parents used to love her a lot. Now they mostly just ignore her. Being the daughter of famous movie stars isn't very exciting. She has to hang around the house all day, lonely, save for her dog and her tutor. She doesn't much like her tutor. When playing in the woods, Juniper stumbles upon a boy her age, she is excited to make a friend. Terrible things lurk in those woods though and the things that Juniper and Giles have in common are things they'd rather do without. Both of thei ...more
The Overflowing Inkwell
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm never going to blow up a balloon again.
Deb Tyo
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
"Sometimes I feel like the whole world knows something I don't. I just want to belong. Somewhere."

It is a primal need for all of us...to belong. To feel wanted. To feel needed. To be accepted for who we are. For me. For you. For Juniper Berry, too.

Juniper Berry is an eleven year-old girl who feels trapped living in her mansion with her famous film star parents. To make matters worse, her mom and dad are changing before her eyes. They are no longer interested in Juniper; they are more intereste
Valerie McEnroe
Love the cover and artwork. Love the name Juniper Berry. Love a good moral lesson. Be happy with who you are. Don't make a pact with the devil, or whatever creature lurks underground beneath a creepy tree.

Juniper Berry's parents are first rate celebrities and they have a huge mansion with fans drooling outside the gates to prove it. The problem is that they haven't been the loving parents they once were for quite some time. A little sleuthing and a chance meeting with a boy suffering the same fa
Sky
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book, it made me shiver several times!
I was looking around a bookstore, and this book caught my eye.
I'm glad I bought it, as it's now my favorite book!

In this fantastic book by M. P. Kozlowsky, eleven year old Juniper Berry is a child of two famous movie stars, and yet she is completely alone.
Her parents have almost completely neglected her, even forgetting to feed her. Her parents used to be loving and caring, but lately they haven't been themselves, and young Juniper is ready
Bethany
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Juniper Berry has famous parents. Not just rich, not just well-known, but famous. Angelina & Brad famous. But they're also...missing something. Something's just not right, and Juniper needs to get them back. They hardly even notice her anymore, and she's lonely, locked away from the paparazzi and the rest of the world.

But then she meets Giles, a small boy with more hair than his head can hold who becomes Juniper's very first friend--and whose parents are also more than a bit off, these days
Jackie Liu
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the books that I read that I expected to be too childish for me. I was totally wrong.

Juniper Berry - the daughter of two of the most popular celebrities, Mr. and Mrs. Berry. You would think life for her was amazing, perfect, dreams made into reality...well, it used to be. Mr and Mrs Berry used to be funny, entertaining, happy and enthusiastic about everything they did. Now Juniper feels as if they don't even know she's there.

She is left a lonely child, with no company except for
Bah! Humbug!
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book asks the question what good is it to gain the whole world and lose your soul. I love to read debut novels and see the fresh ideas and perspectives that come from hearing these new voices, but it's hard to believe that this is Mr. Kozlowsky's first book.
Kozlowsky is a deft story teller who kept the book going at a pace that made it hard to put down. I love the characters he created and cared what happened to them.
Some might find the book "preachy" but I found it refreshing that streng
Emma
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be a sweet and really profound moral tale. It involved Juniper..and only child who was once much easier loved by her parents. Junipers parents were struggling actors whom became very famous. It is worth reading.....probably to or with a child. It had scary bits but also motivational bits.
Mandi
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jay
I really enjoyed this book and read it to see if my kids could read it. I loved the underlying message of the book!! It was brilliant. It was scary at parts and had disturbing content, so I think I’d wait for my kids to be in at least 6th grade before reading alone, or earlier if I could read it to them and ease the parts about her parents.
AEK7300
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Be careful what you wish for. What are you willing to trade for what you want? Essentially, this is a middle grade appropriate tale of making deals with the "devil" in exchange for your soul.

This story covers topics like temptation, desire for greatness, and self worth. A very well written book with just enough terror and anticipation to keep you turning the pages!
Goodreads Librari...: Juniper Berry 2 19 Jul 30, 2012 03:27PM
  • The Mostly True Story of Jack
  • The Wizard of Dark Street  (Oona Crate Mystery, #1)
  • The Aviary
  • Down the Mysterly River
  • Horton Halfpott; or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M’Lady Luggertuck’s Corset
  • The Cabinet of Earths (Maya and Valko, #1)
  • Darwen Arkwright and the Peregrine Pact (Darwen Arkwright, #1)
  • The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy
  • Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes (Peter Nimble #1)
  • The Wikkeling
  • Pearl Verses the World
  • Kid vs. Squid
  • The Friendship Doll
  • The Kneebone Boy
M.P. Kozlowsky is the author of FROST, THE DYERVILLE TALES, and JUNIPER BERRY. His next book, ROSE COFFIN, will be released October 15, 2019. He lives in New York with his wife and two daughters.
“Sometimes that which seems ordinary is really most extraordinary of all.” 10 likes
“Even without much experience in friendships, the lonely girl and the castaway boy filled the time as two friends should.” 1 likes