Start by marking “Juniper Berry” as Want to Read:
Juniper Berry

Juniper Berry

Juniper's parents have not been themselves lately. In fact, they have been cold, disinterested and cruel. And lonely Juniper Berry, and her equally beset friend, Giles, are determined to figure out why.

On a cold and rainy night Juniper follows her parents as they sneak out of the house and enter the woods. What she discovers is an underworld filled with contradictions: on
Published April 26th 2011 by Walden Pond Press

To ask other readers questions about Juniper Berry, please sign up.
Jaylyn I read this book in 5th grade I am in 6th grade now. I say it is a little more creepy than you expect

Start your review of Juniper Berry
Misty
When I came across this on Goodreads, it became one of those things that just takes over your brain.  Or takes over my brain, anyway... Everything from the cover to the title to the fantastic little tag line just called to me.  So when I was offered a copy out of the blue, of course I casually said, Oh, thanks but nah.... O_O  Or HELLS YEAH.  It was one of the two.
And when it came in the mail (so if you went with Choice 1, sorry, you lose), I promptly sat down and made short work of it.  And tho
Pierce
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Better than Coraline and not as scary. I wish this was made into a movie instead of that creepy book.
sophie.connects.the.dots (on hiatus)
This cover gives me a "To Kill a Mockingbird" vibe.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

Juniper Berry is a fabulous middle grade mixed with fantasy, mystery, twists and great characters. The story has a powerful message of being careful of one's true desires and what you wish for. Outback in Juniper's spacious backyard lies a tree which leads to a world controlled by an evil man who prays on the weak minded making their desires and dreams come true. Everything comes at a price and not everything is what it seems. "Be careful what you wish for".

Juniper Berry is such a fabul
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Juniper Berry is the daughter of famous movie stars. As their fame grows, they become more and more distant from their daughter until she begins to suspect that something else is going on. Juniper befriends a scrawny neighbor boy whose parents are also acting strange. They follow their parents deep into the woods where they meet with a mystic creature who promises to make dreams a reality.

I loved this book! The plot is creepy without being too scary for me. I didn't have nightmares after reading
Cathy
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Juniper Berry is an only child who lives in a beautiful mansion, yet she longs for life the way it used to be before her parents became famous movie stars. In the past, Juniper’s parents spent lots of time with her, reading lines from the scripts Juniper would write. But things have changed in the Berry home, and Juniper’s parents are now distant and cold. Her mother has even lost the sparkle in her eyes. While exploring the woods behind her home, Juniper and her friend Giles discover a strange ...more
Rachel Fisher
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I totally get the Snicket vibe with this one. A really fun read!
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
I love delving into worlds featuring the fantastic. If left up to me, life would be a fantasy...or a fairy tale. I love novels brimming with epic quests and the discovery that comes as a child discovers him/herself. JUNIPER BERRY by M.P. Kozlowsky fills all of these requirements, albeit in a creepy, unforgiving way. The novel’s children, Juniper and Giles, are forced to grow up as them embark on a journey to save their parents.

Everyone has been comparing JUNIPER BERRY to the little-known tale TH
Alison
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Deliciously spooky!

I will never look at a red latex balloon the same again!
"A Tale of Terror and Temptation" is the phrase on the cover of Juniper Berry, and it's right on the money. This clever Middle Grade book takes you on a modern-day morality tale, with precocious Juniper Berry as the guide.

My 8 year old son read the first chapter and handed Juniper Berry back to me saying, "It's for girls!" Well, I am a girl, sure, but I have to totally disagree with him!

Juniper encounters a new friend, Gi
BookishStitcher
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I saw this on a list of "horror" books for middle school students. It was a good story about the importance of family and friendship. Also about how sometimes relentlessly perusing our dreams can take you down the wrong path.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg, debut-2011
Sometimes the key to writing something scary is to simply write the truth. M. P. Kozlowsky in his debut middle grade novel Juniper Berry combines just the right aspects of the truth with powerful storytelling for a novel that grabs you from beginning to end. Juniper Berry has everything in some ways except for the attention and affection of her famous parents. She wishes for friends, for a life outside of her family's home, and most importantly for her parents to see her again. While exploring t ...more
babyhippoface
This is a deceptive cover. I love the art; it's graceful and willowy. But there is some seriously--seriously--creepy stuff in here.

Juniper's famous parents (think Brangelina) are not themselves lately. They're angry, shallow, and their eyes seem hollow. They don't seem to care about Juniper anymore, either. in an attempt to find out why they've changed, Juniper follows them one night to the base of a tree, where they just...disappear. Determined to save her family,
Juniper goes after them, and
April
I very much enjoy when books creep me out and give me goosebumps. Juniper Berry by MP Kozlowsky read in 2011 for the Dewey 24 Hour Readathon accomplished this. Juniper, the titular main character, has celebrity parents. You’d think her life is baller, but lately her parents have been acting weird, with no time nor thoughts to spare for her. Juniper then makes a friend, Giles, who is a lonely and neglected boy dealing with the same issues as her.

Read the rest of my review here
Zoeereads✨
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was freaking great and really not what I expected at all! Two major thoughts:

1. Much scarier than I thought it would be. If I would have read this as a kid, I would have had nightmares for SURE. They should make this into a horror film.

2. I found so many parallels to the Gospel in this book, which totally made my heart swell, especially at the end. I feel like I could write an essay about all the metaphors and similes here. So so good.

Would recommend for anyone that loves a good scar
Danielle
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book by happenstance. It was in my bookstore’s inventory, but given some technical and aesthetic issues it could not be put up for sale. So it sat with a few others of its kind. And then I finished a book. If you’re like me, the end of a good book brings about a bit of melancholy, but also great excitement at the possibility of “What’s Next?!” -which in turn can be atrophying as well. I decided to go through my inventory’s “rejected” pile, remembering that these books are not se ...more
Holly
Even though I'm too old for them, I love reading middle grade books. Last year I ended up reading a number of middle grade books, many of them of a "creepy" variety (think ghosts, murder, mysteries, etc.). After reading The Aviary (which sort of disappointed me, unfortunately), Goodreads started recommending Juniper Berry to me. Even though the cover art didn't really appeal to me, I decided to give Juniper Berry a try. I know we're not supposed to judge books on their covers - but I can't help ...more
Alice Nicholas Wood
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of my very favorite MG books I read this past year -- a deliciously unfolding mystery that kept me turning pages. The parents' obsession with success is infinitely relatable, and Juniper's bravery and earnest optimism in saving her family (among others!) is absolutely inspiring. Some strong points were the funny details about the paparazzi at her home and the creepy tone surrounding the tree and what lies below.
Charly Troff (ReaderTurnedWriter)
This was very different from what was expecting, but I enjoyed it a lot!

The cover doesn't do justice to how creepy the book is, in a very Coraline-esque way. Juniper is an amazing character and I loved following her story. The premise was interesting and I did feel there was good tension throughout.

I did feel the pacing was off. The beginning was pretty slow paced and the ending happened fairly quickly. It wasn't enough to deter me from reading, but I did notice it.

Overall, this is a creepy (
Marina
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS SO GOOD!!!
Ashley
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I quite liked this one. It would be an easy one day read but I started it off pretty slow, but about half way through, I just needed to finish :)
I loved Juniper and her realistic strength and sense of self. I would love to understand more about the underworld secrets but thought this was a fabulous middle grade adventure 💕
Isabella Cole
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so good! It's about an 11 year old girl named Juniper Berry. Juniper's parents have been acting strange lately, ever since they got famous. She knows something strange is going on, but she guesses it's just all the pressure from being SO famous. She guesses wrong. Along with her new and loyal friend, Giles, Juniper discovers that her parents, and Giles's parents, are in big trouble. And when Giles can't resist the temptation to be given his greatest wish, can Juniper save them all? ...more
Mopple
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful... Deep, moving, evocative artwork, simple and perfect.
Sophie Carbone
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this! Definitely darker and scarier than I would’ve expected, and I loved that! This was a great mix of Coraline and Pan’s Labyrinth! Would’ve liked it if the characters were a little more fleshed out and just a bit more time with Juniper and Giles to get to know them... other than that this was great!
Kristen
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First Impression:
I had been eying this book since I had heard about it. The cover struck me first and then I just had to read it because it was a modern fairy tale, and I absolutely love fairy tales. It definitely looks a little frightening on the cover and was looking forward to an interesting read.

While Reading:
It's funny how something strikes you in a conversation. I remember a discussion about how authors write parents in MG and YA literature and how there's always an excuse to get them out
Estella
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was the first ´real´ book I read and I remember it being realllllllly good. I think I was in third or fourth grade (don´t judge me, I didn´t really like reading back then). But it was so good that I reread it directly after I finished it. Well anyways, it´s spooky, it´s gripping and all in all it´s a really good story. Now go read it, if you haven´t already.
Danielle Larca
Nov 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Juniper Berry’s parents have been acting very strange lately. The days when they all used to make pizzas together or put on one of Juniper’s plays are just a memory that grows more and more distant each day. It seems as though the more famous they become (her parents are movie stars), the less interest they have in Juniper.

Without friends or her parents, Juniper spends one lonely day after another pacing her gargantuan mansion and its expansive grounds with her dog, Kitty. One day, she meets a
Brittany
Juniper Berry's parents used to love her a lot. Now they mostly just ignore her. Being the daughter of famous movie stars isn't very exciting. She has to hang around the house all day, lonely, save for her dog and her tutor. She doesn't much like her tutor. When playing in the woods, Juniper stumbles upon a boy her age, she is excited to make a friend. Terrible things lurk in those woods though and the things that Juniper and Giles have in common are things they'd rather do without. Both of thei ...more
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, fantasy
In many ways, this is a book about what it means to get what you want and what that means for your life. In the book Juniper and her new friend Giles try to figure out what is going wrong with their parents. Their parents who used to be good parents and interested in the different things that they did have become cold and disinterested since becoming famous.

Throughout the book we see the main characters have to look at what temptations they have and fight against them. It shows what can happen
The Overflowing Inkwell
I'm never going to blow up a balloon again.
Dee Samarin
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a middle grade read, normally I am a little more lenient on ratings but Juniper Berry was so lovely and fun to read, it was a "no duh" answer for me. Juniper is a complex character with so much more to offer than the short story allowed. I only wish Kozlowsky took the time to really write out a novel or even stretched it to a duology (series, too?) - I could relish in the creepyness of this story for years!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Juniper Berry 2 20 Jul 30, 2012 03:27PM

• Tunnels (Tunnels, #1)
  • The Night Gardener
  • Petey
  • Awakening (Lily Dale, #1)
  • The Secrets of Hawthorne House
  • Famous Last Words
  • 100 Hours (100 Hours, #1)
  • The Riverman (The Riverman Trilogy, #1)
  • Discovering (Lily Dale #4)
  • Believing (Lily Dale, #2)
  • Connecting (Lily Dale, #3)
  • Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet, #1)
  • Out of the Dark (Five, #1)
  • This Is Not the End
  • Simpsons Comics Colossal Compendium: Volume 5
  • The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Back
M.P. Kozlowsky is the author of FROST, THE DYERVILLE TALES, and JUNIPER BERRY. His latest book, ROSE COFFIN, was released in October. He lives in New York with his wife and two daughters.