Start by marking “Time Stops for No Mouse: A Hermux Tantamoq Adventure” as Want to Read:
Time Stops for No Mouse: A Hermux Tantamoq Adventure

Time Stops for No Mouse: A Hermux Tantamoq Adventure

(The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures #1)

Watchmaker Hermux Tantamoq is a hardworking mouse who is thankful for ordinary things: donuts, coffee, peaceful evenings at home with his pet ladybug. But his quiet life takes a dramatic turn when Ms. Linka Perflinger, dashing daredevil aviatrix and adventuress, bursts into his watch shop, drops off a broken watch, and steals his heart.

Hermux can't wait to see Ms. Perfling
Audiobook, 6 pages
Published January 29th 2002 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Time Stops for No Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Stops for No Mouse

Ilana Waters
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh. My. God. Words cannot describe how much I loved this book. Which is kind of pathetic, since I'm a writer. ;-P And for someone who doesn't read mysteries, if you can get me interested in one, you know it's good!

Michael Hoeye's work is an example of world-building at its best. In a realm like-our-own-and-yet-not, his plot is immediately engaging. The adult characters in the book, sly humor, and universal themes (such as "what is real beauty?") will make this a fun read for grown-ups as well as
Julie
Nov 21, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: Alex
It’s difficult to write a positive review about a book that had me thinking about stopping through the entire first half. Most of my dislike focused on the too-cute outlandish names and the too-detailed narratives of the main character’s daily routine. However, about halfway through I got interested in the mystery, and after that it was a quick read. It certainly helped that there was a lot more action so there were fewer painfully slow descriptions of Hermux’s meals and clothing.
Hermux Tantam
Johanna
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
A nice read, a pretty complex mystery for what is actually a children’s book, so much so, I did get confused at times. It’s the first in a series but I think I’ll just stick with this read.
Erika
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone by the age of 14.
Shelves: 2006
The cover of this book caught my eye from the very first moment I laid my eyes on it. For me the cover is selling as much as the resume on the back. And I did bring this book and the two others in the serie with me home from the library.

It is now three years since I read the book, and I've grown older and wiser since then. Therefore I can only give this book two stars.

The plot was good. And exicting too, but when you consider my age at that point, which was 14, it did really match my way of thi
Madeleine (Top Shelf Text)
I loved this series when I was young, and recently picked it up again to see how it held up as an adult reader. I continue to love Hermux Tantamoq and the charming world that he lives in, plus I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery and adventure of the story. Recommended for mature middle grade readers -- though this is an animal fantasy, there is a murder in the story and the villains could be a bit scary for sensitive young readers.
Greta Franke
A friend told me that this book was very peculiar but I decided to read it anyway. The beginning was moderate, but the ending was phenomenal. A+ book!
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! Really great mystery, much more complex then I’d imagine for a young reader book. Glad my 9 year old wanted me to check this one out!
Alma Q
Turned out this book is not very re-readable, so I'm lowering my rating.

Hoeye has come up with an intriquing premise (mice, you say? Of course they're not as boring as we have thought!). Sadly that impression only lasts as long as a few pages from the start, because these characters... are not mice, in much the same way Erin Hunter's animal characters are not cats or dogs.
It's possible that I'm simply setting the bar too high after reading about these rabbity rabbits, but I like these kinds of c
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Hermux Tantamoq is a quiet, rather shy watchmaker who just happens to be a mouse. His world is turned upside down when the lovely Linka Perflinger walks into his shop and asks him to repair her watch. She never returns to pick it up, even though it seemed to be important to her. When a suspicious-looking rat comes in asking for it, Hermux knows Miss Perflinger must be caught up in something dangerous. He sets out to find her and save the day.

I liked Hermux a lot. I think he and I would get along
Mike
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I guess I can't resist another mouse tale. Hermux Tantamoq is a mild-mannered work-a-day mouse who lives a quiet life working in his watch repair shop. Despite his apparent averageness, he has an extraordinary sense of optimism. When an exotic and beautiful aviatrix (you gotta love that word) drops off a mess of a watch, Hermux is smitten. He dutifully repairs her watch in a timely manner (nudge-nudge). But when she neglects to pick up the watch, Hermux begins to worry. He becomes especially sus ...more
Rishindra
It's been quite a while since I read this book so I can't really say much about it. I didn't really like it when I read it, though. The main reason why I didn't really like the book much was because I didn't get why the characters had to be mice. This won't seem like a big deal to most people but it seemed to me that the characters could have been humans and everything else would have stayed exactly the same. Well, almost everything else. At one point I decided that the characters could just be ...more
Ashley
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Hoeye brings us a whimsical tale of one daring mouse's adventure in book one of the Hermux Tantamoq series. In Time Stops for no Mouse, we journey to the booming metropolis of Pinchester, where resident watchmaker Hermux Tantamoq lives out his live in peaceful seclusion. While he occasionally deals with the major repair or his eccentric neighbor, he is usually able to keep a low profile. It should then come as no surprise that he falls head-over-tail for daring aviatrix Linka Perflinger, ...more
Rachel
May 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite liked this book. The story is really good, and though at some points it had me a little lost and confused (character names, conversations etc), I always managed to find my way back. The characters are cute, especially the watch-maker. Conspiracy in the beauty industry! It packs quite a few laughs, so I'd recommend this to someone who needs mild amusement.

----

Reading this months, maybe years later, I've changed my mind. Bit undeserving of the 4 stars I gave it, so I'm giving it 3 instead.
Jennifer A.M.
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young readers and those who enjoy a good clean adventure
Shelves: favorites
This is a fabulous series for young readers. I read them as an adult, but thoroughly enjoyed the humor and the detail put into these books. A great read alound series. The main character is Hermux Tantamoq, a watchmaker, who gets sucked into these fantastic adventures along with his lady mouse love (did I mention he is a mouse) and a plethera of other rodent type creatures. They solve mysteries and crimes and there is always a happy ending. I am looking forward to the next in the series which is ...more
Kate Coen
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored reading about Hermux. The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures were some of the only books that I read to my younger brother that actually held his interest. The writing style is very engaging and the characters are fantastic. While there are definite lessons learned, the books aren't at all 'preachy' or boring. My brother used to get so excited for the next chapter, he would make necklaces with letter beads (his was Hermux, mine was Tucka). I would recommend this book, as well as the rest of the ...more
Camilla Severns
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea this was a series. Dang. I've got to read the rest. I read this book years ago in high school, and it's one of those that I think of from time to time. It was a really interesting read in my opinion. Great descriptions, big adventures, fully rounded charaters, an overall good book.
Dietrich
This fur-raising crime drama is worth any young reader's time. Michale Hoeye's "Time Stops for No Mouse", is a surprising take on the familiar form of a mystery novel. The nearly normal life of a modest mouse, Hermux Tantamoq, acts as a counter balance to the dangerous and bizarre events that surround him. With beautiful detail, the fictional city of Pinchester comes alive through the eyes of a quite young watchmaker and his pet ladybug. But as the mysterious disappearance of a famous research s ...more
Laurens
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dotty
I enjoyed this one, but I did have to push through in the beginning third of the book. You know almost from the outset who the "damsel in distress" will be and you're already to cheer on the hero, when the plot takes a side trail. Ultimately you can see where the side trail leads but it wasn't quite as riveting as the beginning of the book.

Book Talk: Linka Perflinger waltzed into Hermux Tantamoq’ watch repair shop. She left her watch for repair and stole his heart. Hermux knows how to fix the ti
Emma
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I was given this book for my birthday when I was about ten. At that point, I loved this book and was so disappointed that my local library didn't have the rest of the series. I stumbled across the rest of the series at the library where I currently work, so I decided to re-read this one and continue with the series.

Unfortunately, the rose-colored glasses of the past seem to have been particularly strong in this case. I remember loving the quaint names and the way the characters acted was memorab
Julie
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure how I ended up with this book, found it shelved in the adult section, but really it would've been something I'd have read aloud to my kids.... was quite sweet with all the various characters...
I enjoyed recalling all the time spent reading with the kids! and in particular, this reminded me of the Redwall series with the animals (but totally different time period and environment)
Recommend it to a family that enjoys reading aloud together, and great adventures! (not for the very young tho
BookBec
May 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought about two stars, but I couldn't bring myself to say "it was okay." It was painfully overdone and by no means comparable to classics, as the jacket blurbs promised. It veered from too mature to quite young. I finished only because it was a quick read, due to its young target audience.

On the other hand, children who are passionate readers and huge fans of small animals could quite possibly enjoy this book.
Chance
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a amaizing book that tells the story of a mouse that works as a watch maker that then falls in love with another mouse that has no clue on where she went and goes looking for her and gets trapped then saves the mouse and notices they are in a relationship and goes home to his ladybug pet.
Franny V.
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First read it as a child and I've thought of the well dressed watch maker mouse ever since! Good fun for adults and children alike and it had been so long since I read it I was just as surprised as the first time when the mystery was revealed. Will make you want to sit down with your pet ladybug and eat some cheese and read a good book just like the main character.
Talitha Coelho
Time Stops For No mouse, is a very cute story in the world of mice. Hermux is a very ordinary mouse with a big heart and a good sense of bravery. I enjoyed the plot and the characters. However I that the rest of the time, I was immersed in overly descriptive chapters regarding the clocks and watches he fixed. Without all of the descriptions I felt it would of been a very good story.
Nevaeh F.
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book was okay, I like how the characters were displayed. I like how the chapters are short so its easier to keep up. The only thing I would change is I would make the descriptions of things more detailed.
janetandjohn
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hermix Tantamoq is a delightfully different kind of hero - he's a mouse who mends watches and clocks. And when a client does not return for a repair he's plunged into a very seedy mystery! Recommended for children OF ALL AGES!
Patti Ashley
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick simple read, got for my 6th grade class. The figurative language is everywhere and very well done.
Ekta
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A page turner that keeps you on the edge!
Jamie Suter
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read, but seemed like it was meant for a younger audience. If you like Maus by Art Spiegelman, I think you would like this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• A Barrel of Laughs, a Vale of Tears
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • Perloo The Bold
  • Pure Dead Wicked (Pure Dead, #2)
  • Midnight's Choice (Switchers, #2)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • A Rat's Tale
  • Julia's reis (Julia's reis)
  • Permanent Rose (Casson Family, #3)
  • The Secret of Platform 13
  • Polissena del Porcello
  • Beyond the Shroud (Karazan Quartet, #2)
  • The Wizard's Castle
  • Bad Dreams
  • Ocean Realm (Crystal Doors, #2)
  • The Word Eater
  • Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks
Michael Hoeye has worked as a farmer, fashion photographer, stagehand and high-school teacher. He and his wife, Martha, live in a stone cottage in Oregon with their cat, Lionel. They enjoy the company of nine big oak trees, six bigger fir trees, three fat squirrels, a noisy family of woodpeckers and a travelling circus of nuthatches, blue jays, crows, finches and robins.

Michael's first novel for c

The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures (4 books)
  • The Sands of Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #2)
  • No Time Like Show Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #3)
  • Time to Smell the Roses (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #4)
“He expected pages and pages of bright pictures of pancakes of every variety shown in plain stacks, or built into castles or bridges or igloos, or shaped like airplanes or rowboats or fire engines. And pitchers of syrup to choose from -- partridge berry syrup, thimbleberry syrup, huckleberry syrup, bosenberry syrup, and raspberry syrup. Then there would be cheese plates and cheeses a la carte. Creamy cheeses, crumbly cheeses, and peculiar little cheeses in peculiar little clay pots.” 10 likes
“It may be a dangerous and confusing job.
But it’s mine to do…”