Start by marking “Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 7 Powerful Tools for Life and Work” as Want to Read:
Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 7 Powerful Tools for Life and Work

Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 7 Powerful Tools for Life and Work

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Written as an engaging fable, Adams encourages readers to take charge of their thinking in order to accomplish goals, improve relationships, advance careers, investigate new territories, and in general gain greater life satisfaction.150 pp.
Published July 1st 2004 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published May 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Change Your Questions, Change Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change Your Questions, Change Your Life

Kim Haring
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book provides useful tools for replacing a defeated mentality with a learner mentality. Practical, insightful. Easy read. Highly recommend it!
Juan Flores Zuñiga
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coaching
In a trendy style of a business story telling, Marilee Adams took us through a journey of self discovery not just about the power of questions, but more about life change. Id wonder sometimes why God designed us with two ears and one mouth, and then warns once and again about the power of language to build and destroy and model through Jesus the power of attentive listening and powerful yet simple questioning. Love the book, slow sometimes, but deep when we reflected back on its teaching and exp ...more
Sheldon Bungay
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant!
Audiaa
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
This book reads much like an infomercial where a 'random' audience member comes up on stage to proclaim over-enthusiastically how wonderful this product that they have never seen before now is. The unrealistic like writing style of this book, made it difficult for me to get through. The concepts in this self-help book were introduced through a story about an average man working for an average company. He likes always having the answers and is having some problems getting along with and managing ...more
Rosanne
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two is a harsh rating. I'd rate this more along the lines of 2.5. I had to read this for a leadership workshop for work. Much like with the Freud that I recently read for a class, I found that if I didn't pay attention to the details of this book but instead focused on the bigger picture, it made more sense and was much more appealing. Basically, the bottom line is one should change one's questions. Flip one's views around 180 degrees. If you find that you ask yourself, "What's going to go wrong ...more
NSAA Group
"Questioning" is a skill rarely taught in school, but doing it well - that is, asking the right questions of the right people - can radically transform attitudes, actions, and results. Change Your Questions, Change Your Life provides easy-to-learn tools that can make a significant and immediate difference in people's business and personal lives. Written as an engaging fable, it inspires readers to take charge of their thinking in order to accomplish goals, improve relationships, advance careers, ...more
Marci Stone
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book about asking questions to change your perception of a situation or problem. I love the fact from this book that we should be 20% telling and 80% asking questions about any situation. The fact is that most people are the other way around.

The chart on page 32 sums it up nicely. Our questions lead us on either a learner or judger path. The judger path will lead us to feeling like a failure. While the learner path helps to solve the problem through a series of questions like... wha
Reggie Connaughton
This was a great book. I don't know that I would have ever read it if it wasn't an assignment for my job. I do a pretty good job of questioning and so I didn't think that I'd find this book useful. I was surprised at what I learned. It was a little slow in the first two chapters. By Chapter 3 I was in!! Just modifying the types of questions that I ask has already helped me so much! I can see how it helps in all areas, personally and as a parent. -Not just professionally! Good book!
Deanna
Sep 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
I'd like to give this book 5 stars because the principles it teaches are indeed life changing. This book has given me a paradigm shift in the way I approach relationships. The way the author teaches the principles is through a fictional story that isn't written very well and is pretty cheesy. You could skip it and just read the "tools section" at the back.
Ngiamsw
Oct 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Concept of Learner and Judger, and how we can accept judger, practice learner using the Choice Map and Switching questions. How we can 'catch' ourselves in time and 'switch' from a judger orientation to a learner orientation. By doing this, the outcome of the situation can be very different (and better!).
Nancy
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for making me think about my interactions and thought patterns, and sound advice on how to switch from a "Judging" to a "Learning" mindset. Great suggestions for opening up troublesome relationships and seeing new possibilities. Best of all, my husband and I each listened to the book on CDs and found a model for improving our communications!
Lynn
Apr 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Common sense info. re: being a judger vs. learner. Always have that choice. Not new information but very useful and definitely hitting home related to a complex work setting I find myself in! Thanks to my husband for passing on to me after a related workshop at his job. Fast read with a helpful story of someone who learns this approach to impact both his job and marriage.
Andrea
Really quick read and I recommend it to anyone and everyone. Basically this book is looking at how we process conflicts and problems. One choice is to be in the moment, wondering where it went wrong and who is to blame, but the other choice focuses on what can be gained from the situation and what the options are for moving forward. Very interesting read and great concept!
Noel Arnold
Nov 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read InGenius: A Crash Couse in Creativity by Tina Seelig, instead. Adams' book is incredibly content-free. Might have been a decent article, albeit a short one.... I got only 30 pages in, but I'm counting it anyway. Believe me, you'd want some payback, too.
Ron
An interesting insight about how our thinking process really works and how unaware we are of the questions we are really asking. How intentionally asking questions we can change our actions and feelngs resulting in more purposeful living.
Jim
Aug 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing could be improved upon, but the premise of the book is profound as Ms. Adams explores how the questions we ask affect every aspect of our lives. Could have been shorter and the telling of the story that frames her ideas could have been better, but her ideas are worth exploring.
Vikki
Feb 24, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying this so far and I've found myself already trying to ask myself different questions. It reminds me a little of Tony Robbins viewpoint of "if you chose to react negatively--i.e., if you choose to be upset-- you will be upset!"
Heather Friedman
Change your life one question at a time. Break the judgmental and negative cycles of assumption by focusing on the possible...
Jane
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebook
Some very useful ways of reprogramming how to approach situations.
Cathy
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Easy read but some good ideas. Trying to incorporate them where applicable.
Scott Wood
Jun 04, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
REc at IMCA
Skate
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can I say "life changing"! Excellent and simple tactic to apply to everyday issues. Going to have to re-read this in a month or so to see how well I am applying things...
Lance Tachino
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book to read regarding how to truly understand situations, people and yourself. By asking the right questions, it can transform your life.
Potrillo
good read
Brandon
Jul 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book about asking questions
Dave
May 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made a lot of sense and it resonated. It's a slightly different riff on the attitude is everything motif. It's a quick-read too.
thejournalceo
rated it did not like it
Jan 04, 2012
Christine Galvin-Combet
Jan 03, 2012
Rohan Rajiv
Oct 17, 2012
Omnamaha
Jan 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • How Not to Look Old: Fast and Effortless Ways to Look 10 Years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better
  • Diagnosing and Changing Organizational Culture: Based on the Competing Values Framework
  • Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills
  • The Magic of Conflict: Turning a Life of Work into a Work of Art
  • Entwined Lives: Twins and What They Tell Us About Human Behavior
  • In Over Our Heads: The Mental Demands of Modern Life
  • To Do Doing Done: A Creative Approach to Managing Projects and Effectively Finishing What Matters Most
  • The Referral of a Lifetime: The Networking System That Produces Bottom-Line Results...Every Day!
  • Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together
  • Never Check E-Mail In the Morning: And Other Unexpected Strategies for Making Your Work Life Work
  • Never Be Late Again: 7 Cures for the Punctually Challenged
  • How to Spend Less Without Being Miserable
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? for Retirement: Planning Now for the Life You Want
  • The Writing Diet: Write Yourself Right-Size
  • Writing on Both Sides of the Brain: Breakthrough Techniques for People Who Write
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children--and Its Aftermath
  • Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons
Marilee Adams, Ph.D., is an author, executive coach, facilitator, and professional speaker. She is president and founder of the Inquiry Institute, a consulting, coaching, and educational organization and the originator of the QUESTION THINKING™ methodologies.

Marilee is the author of Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 12 Powerful Tools for Leadership, Coaching and Life, 3rd edition, a best-se
More about Marilee G. Adams...