Start by marking “Moi & Marie Antoinette” as Want to Read:
Moi & Marie Antoinette

Moi & Marie Antoinette

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Marie Antoinette was one of the most celebrated queens in history…but she was once a little girl, too. As told by her vain but devoted dog, Sebastian, here is the story of the young princess's life—from her childhood in Austria, to the elaborate preparations leading to her marriage to Louis XVI; from her unhappy rise to power in turbulent times, to the birth of her own chi ...more
Published September 19th 2006 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Moi & Marie Antoinette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moi & Marie Antoinette

Ashlynn Kahle
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This story surprisingly made me quite sad, and I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Since this was based off of the true story about Marie Antoinette, the book was misleading to what actually happened in history. The book depicts Marie in the beginning as an innocent child, which was true. However, it victimizes her in a way that she did nothing wrong in history which was untrue. During her reign of times in monarchy, Marie was known to be selfish and vain while the common people were ...more
Anna
While she's one of my two favorite historical figures ever (the second being Anne Boleyn), Marie Antoinette is not a good subject for a children's picture book. (For that matter, neither is Anne Boleyn...)

You can't tell the true story of Marie's fate in a preschool book, it's too grim. You also can't just skip over the ending; the story is unfinished. This book chose to tell some of the story correctly, but when Marie becomes queen and doesn't have time for her dog, the author has the pug instea
Shelli
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting picture book about Marie Antoinette, the last and most famous of the French queens. Told through the perspective of her adorable pug, Sebastian, as he witnesses the hardships royalty can bring.

Anna  Gibson
A very charming picture book story told from the point of view of Marie Antoinette's pug.

The book begins as young Marie Antoinette is told she is to leave Austria and become dauphine of France. Both Antoinette and her pet are thrown into the strange life at the French court, which (the dog laments!) leaves Antoinette no time to pay any attention to him!

The book does deal with Marie Antoinette's unhappiness, but does not stray into the French Revolution or anything more serious than general unha
Molly
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: little girls that love princesses and like to read
Recommended to Molly by: Library
I am a little bit of a Marie Antoinette expert. I have read a few books about her.

I got this for my daughter to read and deemed it too difficult to explain (to a 4 year old). This book begins as a splendid historical account of Marie Antoinette's early life, narrated by her dog.

Somewhere in the middle it switches to a book all about the dog. I didn't like that part. For a second at the end, the author does a switch back to the first POV, so it ends nice.

I don't know. The beginning was good...
Linda Trott
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think that this story gives the reader a brief yet intimate look at Marie Antoinette. It also gives insight into the ways that mothers tried to sell happiness to their daughters at this time in history.
Marie's daughter Therese exhibits that she knows what happiness can be, and how to live in the moment.
This book is an excellent example of point of view (as the dog's voice is heard throughout,)and the author's note is just enough of a tease for history buffs young and old. Well done!
April
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a cute little book...from Sebastian's perspective (that would be the pug dog.) From a mama side, it's actually a sad little story, but there was some learning involved. The end had a little "fact" section where it told the main points of Marie Antoinette's life (and death). The pictures were cute, and Ms. 4 year-old enjoyed it.
Ann
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This feeds my obsession with Marie Antoinette nicely. Very sweet picture book portrays the innocent MA in simple terms. Beautiful illustrations.

I wish I could fake a French accent to read this aloud!
Beth
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book are absolutely adorable. I can't resist any book that has a pug in it. I did, however, think the story was really sad and I felt bad for Sebastien the pug after he moved to Versailles.
Bethe
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Moi, a pug, tells the story of his young mistress, the future queen of France. I liked how the story circled back on itself, with Marie Antoinette's daughter experiencing the same things. An author's note provides more biographical information.
Wanda
Jan 17, 2015
J
Aug 25, 2012
Lucile
rated it did not like it
Mar 10, 2008