Start by marking “A Wretched Man: A Novel of Paul the Apostle” as Want to Read:
A Wretched Man: A Novel of Paul the Apostle

A Wretched Man: A Novel of Paul the Apostle

Here you will encounter emperors and slaves, Jews and Greeks, and men and women lifted from the pages of the New Testament as they stumble forward following the death of Jesus, unwitting midwives to the birth of Christianity. Follow Paul and James as they contend for the soul of the newborn Jesus movement; their struggle is the story of Christian origins.
Published October 1st 2010 by Bascom Hill (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Wretched Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wretched Man

Start your review of A Wretched Man: A Novel of Paul the Apostle
Jess
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I approach books like these very carefully. I did a bit of background about Holmen before I started reading the book, and began in earnest after I satisfied my curiosity.

This book is a number of things. It is well-researched; Holmen clearly has a solid background in early Christianity and religious history. It is also well-written. When reading about Paul—or Paulos, as he is referred to in the novel—I felt that I had a more personalized understanding of who Paul was. Often accused as being anti-
R.W. Holmen
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My book. I wrote it. Read all about it at: http://awretchedman.com ...more
Susan Peterson
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
As someone who's self-published a novel, I know that self-published books have to work twice as hard to prove their worth. When I pick something up on Smashwords, I assume it will be bad until it proves that it's worth reading. I came to "A Wretched Man" in that spirit. Within the first dozen pages, I knew that the author could write. It wasn't long after that that I figured out that he also had something worthwhile to say.

"A Wretched Man" is not only a good read, it's thought provoking and soli
Ray Branstiter
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this book last night (Easter), seems appropriate. I enjoyed this book. Holman presents an interesting perspective into the life of Paul and his struggle with the Orthodox early followers of Jesus who insisted that the followers of Christ must conform to their ways of worship and belief in Christ.
Holman opens up the first century world in a way that helps me appreciate the difficulties that Paul face in his multi-point parish. There was little in this book that changes those things
Stuart Byford
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it. It was and still is, interesting to compare Holmen's writings with Pauls letters in the new testament. Besides that, it was just a really good read.
Kayla Montgomery
Interesting to learn the author's perception of the research he completed. This could be unsettling or challenging to some but I found it another perspective of the bible history we know so little.
Vickie Dee
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A somewhat quirky look at Paul's life. Almost a young adult writing style.
David Noga
Sophie
Zoltan Almasi
Apr 27, 2010
Discussion group forming 3 6 Mar 23, 2015 03:49PM
I’m a descendant of Scandinavian immigrants who eventually found their way to a farming community in Central Minnesota near the end of the 19th century. My paternal great-grandparents settled a few miles north of the town of Upsala, and my maternal great-grandparents settled a few miles south of town. Members of both families remained until my parents married and moved off the farm and into town w ...more