Start by marking “Mariel of Redwall: Redwall Series, Book 4” as Want to Read:
Mariel of Redwall: Redwall Series, Book 4

Mariel of Redwall: Redwall Series, Book 4

(Redwall #4)

Brian Jacques is the New York Times best-selling author of Mattimeo and Mossflower. In Mariel of Redwall, he tells the tale of two mice, Joseph the Bellmaker and his daughter Mariel, who are separated when the rat pirate king, Gabool the Wild, raids their ship. Mariel vows to find her father and recover the prized bell Gabool stole from their treasure.
MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published February 15th 2010 by Recorded Books, LLC (first published 1991)

Start your review of Mariel of Redwall: Redwall Series, Book 4
Amy
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swashbuckling
I have read this book before, but it still enchants me. This was the first Redwall book that I ever picked up. I had heard that it was about mice, and I didn't want to read it. Then one day, I was soooooo bored that I picked it up and was enthralled, but was reprimanded for reading this one first, and so I took Redwall out from the library. It got better and better. I love these books. :)This is about Mariel and how she hunts down Gabool the Wild, in return for his imprisoning her and her ...more
Jess Lee
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
rip brian jacques. So tough to choose a favorite from the Brian Jacques vault. While I am delighted to discover that there are yet a few books in the Redwall series that I haven't read, it saddens me to know that I'll never get to be a child eagerly awaiting the newest release in an ongoing saga of Martin the warrior and the peace-loving woodland inhabitants of the abbey. I no longer have the letter Mr. Jacques wrote in response to a third grade assignment in which I had to write 5 fanmail ...more
Peter Martuneac
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Redwall books as a kid, and I’ve started reading them to my own kids now. This one was good! A little darker than what I remember, but it’s an excellent story filled with nefarious searats, a scheming Pirate-King, and an ancient prophesy. I’m looking forward to reading more Redwall books!
Joseph Leskey
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any living body
=====================
Somewhat original review
=====================
This was frightfully enjoyable, old beans and beanesses. As of such, according to the logical nature of the good ol' world, I enjoyed it. Actually, I enjoyed it a great deal.

The humor, battles, characters, and adventures were all vigorously delightful. Nevertheless, my favourite part is almost definitely the different dialects of the assorted animals. British English is so much more enjoyable than American English.
Mariel
Mar 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not hungry people
Recommended to Mariel by: the name Mariel (my own vanity)
Are there any good books about Mariels? I once found an e-book online (didn't read it. The excerpt was bad enough) about a woman with my whole name who sleeps with her boss. That doesn't count. She was pathetic. (I was googling myself. I shouldn't do that. Shit I posted at 17 is still around. I'm worried about e-books soiling my name?)
I wished I'd read this as a kid (it came out in 1990 or 1991? I was still young enough). I would have loved a heroine with my own name. (Instead I had to put up
erforscherin
I know they're really childrens' books... but when the news is full of awful stories and that helpless feeling starts creeping in around the edges, I have never yet found a heartier comfort read than the Redwall series. I've recently unearthed some of my old collection and have been rationing it out cautiously: a page or two each night, remembering how carefully I used to make these last when space was limited and books were precious... and heavy.

Mariel of Redwall was actually the first Redwall
Daniel Martin
Jul 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving all these books a 4, because they basically GOT me hooked on fantasy I think. I read all of these in elementary school, and still have fond memories floating around. The rad legendary weapons, (with the channels etched in for blood flow, which i found super hardcore). The foods, the booze, honey mead and apple wine or whatever. Come to think of it, these books might also be a little responsible for my alcoholism, too.
Joanna Chaplin
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had reached for the Redwall series as a break from a lot of dark fiction I had been reading recently. I found the experience was like climbing into my old playroom. At first it's warm and homey and all of my friends are there. But then I realize that I've basically played out all my old games and things are more complicated than "hare, good; sea rat, bad". So I will rate it as my childhood self might have and move on to other things.
Jennifer DuBose
Meh. Started out great but then it came to a slow grinding halt about halfway through. I fear that I lack the imagination needed for this book, which is pretty sad after all.

DNF for me.
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
I absolutely loved Grub. He was a hilarious little scamp! He made the entire book for me.
Mariel was also quite a pleasing character with plenty of growth and sass.
Gale
FEISTY MISS ON A MISSION OF MAYHEM!

As other reviewers have adequately described the engaging plot of this delightful adventure, #4 in the amazing REDWALL series, I will limit my review to a list of the usual, captivating elements of the author's style--which I have noted in this fabulous series.

--Certain animal species have their own (British regional, or slang) accents, which is clever but challenging to read. However, the meanings become more intelligible when the dialogue is read aloud.

--An
Emily Collins
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-authors
This book I will always keep dear to my heart. The day my mom bought this for me was the same day that a certain infamous Brian Jacques was having a book signing not too far away from my middle school. That's right, my copy is signed my the big man himself. I was in sixth grade at the time and I believe that while I was waiting in line, I took a spare piece of paper and created a mouse in a boat (awful quality, but 3D nonetheless). When I got up to the front of the line, he took one look at me ...more
Kelsey Hanson
Nov 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I've discovered that I tend to go to Brian Jacques books after I read something that I find really dumb (*cough* Divergent series *cough*). Brian Jacques was just an incredibly masterful story teller and his characters are always interesting and you can't help but care about them. I particularly liked the relationship between Dandin and Mariel how they are partners in crime without being romantically linked. I do also admire the fact that Jacques always manages to make the point that violence is ...more
Calvin Edwards
This book was alright.I liked it more near the end.So like the last book.If it wasn't for that
I would've gave it two.You can't put two and a half on Goodreads,so I gave it three stars.
Kelsey
Aug 01, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: childrens/pre-teen
Shelves: childrens
i loved this whole series! more magical than babysitters club, but also realistic descriptions and amazing adventure set.
Meaghan Gray
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first trip to Redwall Abbey and I cannot imagine a more comfortable place. I have heard that this series is "A Song of Ice and Fire with animals" and, with the incessant deaths, including some beloved characters, and lines like "Behind him in the swift-running weed-streaked waters of the ford, the bodies of the three who had made it to the water bounced and bobbed in a grotesque parody of life, though it was only the ripping jaws of the pike shoal which moved them." I can understand ...more
Abigail
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caroline
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may so far be one of my favorites in the Redwall series. Mariel is a mousemaid with fierce determination to find her father and avenge their capture and torture at the hands of the evil rat ruler, Gabool the Wild, after she is thrown to sea and left for dead. She's lucky enough to find her way to Redwall Abbey where she instantly finds friends and companions in Dandin the mouse, Durry the hedgehog and Tarquin the hare from Salamandastron. Together they set out on a perilous journey to ...more
Edward Davies
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another dark tale from the Redwall series, this one a little more solid with more of a structure throughout than some of the earlier books.
Kitty
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good, enjoyed it alot...
Greg Markwardt
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
4/5 Another fun Redwall book. There’s some great characters in this one Mariel and Tarquin. Many of the Sea Rats are hilarious as well. As well as the first real introduction to The Long Patrol. My only real qualm is the lead villain Gabool doesn’t really do much for the entirety of the novel. He never even sets foot outside his keep.
Leah Hester
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!!! The Redwall books are fantastic, and I'm so glad I got them on Audible back in 2016. Over the last couple days, I've been re-listening to all the Redwall series books I have and enjoying them all over again. The fun adventures in Redwall Abbey and abroad, along with relate-able and fun protagonists and villains, are perfect for all ages- I'll never get tired of these, and should I ever have children, these books will be among the first they read!
Fee Roberts
Mariel of Redwall by Brian Jacques is the fourth book in the Redwall series.

All I can say is this series is so much fun to read. I highly recommend it.
Josiah
Nov 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three and a half stars would most definitely be a strong possibility for this work.
If ever a writer were to be called truly magnificent, I think that Brian Jacques would have to be the one. As he has done again and again over the years without missing a beat, he has once more crafted an astonishing masterpiece in Mariel of Redwall.
Suffused with endlessly exciting adventure, glowing romanticism and breathtakingly gilded language of a rare beauty that shines in only the most wondrous of novels,
Eileen
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mariel, Mariel, Mariel. You badass, you excellent hero you. She is great, isn't she? I read this under the desk in middle school and I adored every minute of it.

And she didn't fall in love with Dandin. They were friends, really good friends, best friends who were so close and didn't fall in love. Stories where that happens, I can count on one hand. It was such a delight for my non-romantic can-we-just-get-the-inevitable-kissing-bits-over-with self to have a girl hero being tough and awesome and
Amy
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I would say really good. The author Brian Jacques is a real good storyteller. The story is about a mouse name Mariel who is thrown out to the sea by an evil sea rat king named Gabool the wild.When Mariel is washed up on a beach, and has no memory of herself or her past. Therefore she calls herself storm and carries around a knotted rope witch she calls Gullwacker when she finds herself in Redwall her memory comes back to her, and she made an oath that she will have revenge on Gabool for killing ...more
Eric
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read this one with the boys at night. They seem to enjoy these. I know I loved Mossflower when I was about ten years old, but as I am older now the racial profiling and the myth of redemptive violence sure stick out like sore thumbs (once they were pointed out.) The writing is overly wordy, enough so that I edit as I go in what I read out loud. There have been several that read aloud better than this one and the boys like to hear them, so on we go with Loamhedge and hope that it's a good one.
Victoria Young
This was given to me for my birthday when I was... 8? and it took me a while to get around to picking it up. But once I did I was genuinely sucked into the world of Redwall and spent a good part of the next four years reading Jacques's series (in a very higgledy-piggledy fashion because I was too impatient to wait for other library users and read them in order).

This installment features a cool butt-kicking heroine (packaged in the form of a tiny mouse) and an old-fashioned pseudo-medieval epic
Kacey
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this 4th book in the Redwall series...the only complaint that I do have is that I felt like the story focused on Mariel quite a bit & less on her father, Joseph & wish that the story had focused on him as well. It just felt like I got a little glimpse of Joseph as a character at the beginning of the book & at the very end of the story, but felt like right smack dab in the middle, it was like he completely disappeared.
This was still a good read for me & am glad
Kay Donner
The Redwall series are cute little books....the mice go on campaigns...eat...defend their walls, eat...sail on ships...eat..so if you are looking for excitement and conquest...not the series for you. BUT if you enjoy..dialects resembling old English and small expeditions..like hiking up a hill and fighting searats with small spears and rock...then these are cute!!!
Who thinks this series is amazing? 10 36 Feb 18, 2013 08:24PM

• Majipoor Chronicles (Lord Valentine, #2)
  • The Face of the Waters
  • At Winter's End (New Springtime, #1)
  • Wingfeather Tales
  • Search for Senna (Everworld, #1)
  • Redwall The Graphic Novel
  • The Final Reckoning (The Deptford Mice, #3)
  • Lord Valentine's Castle (Lord Valentine, #1)
  • The Black Star of Kingston (The Green Ember #0.5; Tales of Old Natalia #1)
  • The Crystal Prison (The Deptford Mice, #2)
  • Trouble For Trumpets
  • Raised by Wolves
  • The Yellow Wallpaper
  • Murder at High Tor Manor (Digby Rolf Mysteries #3)
  • In The Shadow of the Reaper (Digby Rolf Mysteries #2)
  • The Sugar Merchant
  • Nobody Cares What You Think (Book 1)
  • Sheba's Gambit
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St.

Redwall (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)
  • Marlfox (Redwall, #11)
“Wait and wonder when we will return, mouse - then you will really see what a battle is like."
Simeon turned his head in the direction of Graypatch's voice. "Alas, I will never see anything for I am blind; but I can sense a lot. I can feel you are both evil and desperate. They say you have only one eye. I am surprised at you—even a fool with half an eye could see that you will never triumph against good if you are evil.”
2 likes
“even a fool with half an eye could see that you will never triumph against good if you are evil.” 0 likes