Start by marking “If Only He Knew: Understanding Your Wife” as Want to Read:
If Only He Knew: Understanding Your Wife

If Only He Knew: Understanding Your Wife

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  161 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Here is a how-to book for men that clarifies distinctions between the sexes, giving a fresh outlook on building a stronger marital relationship.
Published May 29th 2010 by Zondervan (first published June 10th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about If Only He Knew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Only He Knew

Lisa Vrzalik
May 21, 2012 is currently reading it
All the books written to help women understand men - finally, a book to help men understand women. I could not put this book down. I read the entire book in one evening. A must read for men. Praying I can motivate my husband to read it soon.
Susan
May 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Why am I obsessed with books about marriage?

Two big reasons marriages fail:
1) Entering marriage with "storyland" expectations and limited training.
2) Lack of understanding about the general differences between men and women.
(pages 4-6)

General mental/emotional differences between men and women:
1) Women tend to be more personal than men. Women seem to be more interested in people and feelings, while men are more preoccupied with subjects and things that can be discussed via logic and reasoning.
Ariana Mika
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
This book is about helping husbands understand their wives. The conclusion I came to is that wives should read the book because it will help them understand themselves in some situations.
A particularity of this book is that it refers to 20 year old marriages, give or take, at least all the examples are. All I can say is that I was expecting something else like more general examples for all kind of marriages regardless if they had 1 anniversary or 70 anniversaries. Another particularity is that
Emil Bredahl
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book that i really liked
It is practical and very easy to understand. The book is filled with so many wonderful lessons for husbands that are not "Way out there" but so easy to understand and they are all lessons from the authors own life of more than 4o years of marriage. Very thankful for men like Dr. Smalley because they are helping other married men like myself all over the world to become better and stronger husbands.
Might be one of the best books I have ever read on marriage.

En
Tom
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this book for the first time almost 30 years ago and it was effective in helping me enter marriage somewhat understanding my wife. Thirty years later I thought it would be good to use it for a checkup. While there is some helpful information, it is quite repetitive and not very deep. The biggest shortcomings are that for a Christian book on marriage, there is no gospel, no connection to the Biblical picture of marriage, and no real exegesis on passages on marriage or marriage roles.
Tom
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent book, I have a loner copy for my son and son-in-law. But you need to be ready to disagree and argue in your mind about it. Be open and willing to accept things that may seem way outside the box for the majority of men. I also bought the companion book "For Better or For Best" for my wife.
Tammy
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marriage
Great book! I strongle recommend every man read this before they get married. It is enlightening for women, too, but a must read for men who desire to understand thier wives (as best they can ~ha!) and make their marriage the best it can be!
Cws
646.78 Sma
Steve Savig
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: studies
Great study with Gregg Knoll, Burt Ambler, Bill Ernest, and Pat Nash
Sheila
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
i liked it so much, i ordered it for my fiance' and his words were, if only he had read this book before, his past marriage may have lasted longer. so, i recommend this book to guys!
Trish Johnson
Jun 07, 2012 is currently reading it
Shelves: my-library
Reading and older version; Revised Edition 1982, 1988

Interesting the number of women verses men who have commented on this book...just sayn...
wondering how many of those are divorced?
Julia
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: divorce-marriage
If only "he" would have read this...then "he" would know.
Todd Wooddy
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent advice for men.
Anthony Lawson
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Read this years ago, was very interesting.
Jacob Dalley
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great read. I enjoyed it. Full of good information. I want to read more books by this author.
Shannon James
Sep 29, 2012
Vance Morris
Oct 07, 2012
Pat Loughery
rated it did not like it
Mar 24, 2010
Bill Summers
May 04, 2013
Brian Miller
Sep 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Every Man's Marriage: An Every Man's Guide to Winning the Heart of a Woman
  • Love Life for Every Married Couple: How to Fall in Love and Stay in Love
  • Letters to Karen: On Keeping Love in Marriage (Abingdon Classics Series)
  • Becoming a Woman of Purpose
  • Four Pillars of a Man's Heart: Bringing Strength into Balance
  • What Wives Wish Their Husbands Knew about Women
  • Finding the Hero in Your Husband: Surrendering the Way God Intended
  • Fit to Be Tied: Making Marriage Last a Lifetime
  • God Wants You to Be Rich: How and Why Everyone Can Enjoy Material and Spiritual Wealth in Our Abundant World
  • Kiss Me Like You Mean It: Solomon's Crazy in Love How-To Manual
  • Desperate Marriages: Moving Toward Hope and Healing in Your Relationship
  • Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage
  • Intimacy Ignited: Conversations Couple to Couple: Fire Up Your Sex Life with the Song of Solomon
  • Life Is Tremendous
  • Before You Say "I Do"
  • What's Your Secret?: Freedom through Confession
  • The Generosity Factor
  • Household Gold (How to Convert Household Expenses into Household Income)
Gary Smalley was one of the country's best-known authors and speakers on family relationships. He was the award-winning, best-selling author or coauthor of sixteen books, as well as several popular films and videos. The Blessing and The Two Sides of Love have won Gold Medallions, The Language of Love won the Angel Award as the best contribution to family life, and his other titles have received Si ...more
More about Gary Smalley...