Start by marking “Augustine” as Want to Read:
Augustine

Augustine

Moving all the way from the South Pole to the North Pole isn't easy for the young penguin Augustine. Uprooted from her home, she misses her friends, her grandma and grandpa and her old bedroom. There are all kinds of unfamiliar faces at the North Pole, and everything looks strange and different. When it's time to go to her new school, Augustine gets cold feet. But with the ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about Augustine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Augustine

Start your review of Augustine
Lynn  Davidson
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little penguin lives at the South Pole with his family. When his dad gets a new job at the North Pole, he is sad to move so far from his grandparents and his friends. His first day at his new school doesn't start out very well, but his blue crayon makes a difference.
Kathryn
Oct 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Okay, isn't Augustine just the cutest little thing ever!?!?!? ;->

This is a great story for kids who are moving as we share Augustine's trials and triumphs as she moves from the South Pole to the North Pole and must adjust to missing her friends and grandparents, trying to make new friends and adjust to her new home and school, and all the while stay true to her artistic soul.

I must say that many of the little "clever" aspects of the story that I chuckled over probably will go over kids
Kdrapak
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. I have older students prepare an art museum, researching artists mentioned and recreating masterpieces. Younger students visit the museum, listen to presentations and learn about ART. Then...we read the story. It has much more meaning with this background knowledge. This story for me is about art with the bonus of fantastic, expressive illustrations. Augustine is very cute, appealing, and easy to love. No, there are no penguins at the north pole, but I have a feeling that was ...more
Erin
May 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A sweet little moving and making friends story mixed with some penguin bits and famous artist bits. Makes for an interesting combo. I love the illustrations - especially the way the drawings on the left side expand on the text on the right.
Alice
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very cute book about moving. It is also is a great tribute to major artists. You can use this for a moving book, or a meet the master type program!! Well written!!
Kelly
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Augustine is a little penguin whose father is being transferred from the South Pole to the North Pole for his job. This means the family must move. Augustine is having very anxious feelings about the move, leaving his old friends, and going to school in his new town.

Great little book about starting over.
Ms. B
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, picture
What's it like to be the new kid at school? Cute story about a young penguin who moves from the South Pole to the North Pole. (view spoiler)
Nicole
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a very cute book that could really help kids through a move or a big transition time.
Matthew
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was able to point out and describe the pictures on the left-side of the book to my two-year-old. I was able to read the story to my five-year-old. The story felt drawn out and left me wanting. I found the kids restless when reading the book. My daughter was interested in telling me which picture she likes and which one she thinks I like.

At the end of the book, I found myself not wanting to read it again for awhile. It was easily forgettable I found as I reached for it again a week later,
Lisa Vegan
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all young children, especially children who have just moved or will be moving
I’ve really been enjoying Mélanie Watt’s delightful and amusing books (Scaredy Squirrel and Chester books) so I was happy to find this book.

My scientific mind went bonkers when I saw that Augustine Penguin was moving from the South Pole to the North Pole because there are no penguins in the Arctic! However, this book is wonderful.

Watt uses her own personal experience of having moved many times as a youngster to create a story and illustrations that shine.

Much use is made of plays on words (very
Shannon
12/09: Too cute for words! Being a penguin, Augustine lives at the South Pole. But, her daddy gets a new job at the North Pole and so the family has to move. Being a tad shy, Augustine expresses her feelings through her art. This art helps her to connect with her new classmates and settle in to her new life at the North Pole. You will get a kick out of the references to famous painters throughout the book.

Inside Cover:
Moving all the way from the South Pole to the North Pole isn't easy for
Karen
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Super-cute artwork. Super-strange story.

So why exactly did Augustine's father have to relocate to the North Pole? Couldn't the family have just moved to the other side of the South Pole or to South America and this story have been as effective? As this story is now, it is VERY confusing for a Kindergarten kid who knows enough about penguins to know that they don't live at the North Pole.

Liza Gilbert
Jul 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Disappointing. Penguin babies are always cute, and Watt's illustrations here do not fail. The story, however, falls flat. Too many bad puns ruin this earnest story about a young penguin moving. The explanation about why Augustine's family is moving to the North Pole is handled nicely, but there is no explanation for why one of his new classmates is a toucan. The story just does not work as a whole.
The Styling Librarian
I always adore any book written and illustrated by Melanie Watt and this adorable book about a penguin moving from the South to North Pole was no exception. I slowed down and enjoyed each quilted type illustration on the left of the pages and then enjoyed the story develop about how Augustine's art appreciation and talent help him transition into his new school. Completely enjoyed every minute of this book!
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Augustine moves from the south pole to the north pole. He has to leave behind his family, friends, but mostly he will his grandparents. Augustine and his parents find a new house and Augustine starts a new school. His love for art helps him make new friends. The ending is sweet.

Wonderful illustrations from Watt and Augustine.
Kelsey
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: moving, school, k-2nd
Age: Kindergarten-2nd grade
Familiar experience: moving

A straightforward look at moving away and dealing with everything new. I liked the drawings on the left page that Augustine drew of his experiences, and even tying that love of drawing into the story was well-balanced. It also added an extra level of interest to the older crowd.
Jenny
Jun 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children and parents who have recently moved or are going to
I really enjoyed this book. Cute pictures and fun layout of the story. We have recently moved to a new city, so it was nice to relate the story to my son's experience. Highly recommended for children who will be going through a move or who recently have. Really brings things down to a child's level that they hopefully can better comprehend what is going on.
Amanda
Nov 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Cute little Augustine has to move because of her dad's job. This topic is very relate-able, as Augustine is on the search for new friends. I think this would be a cute story in 1st -3rd. The illustrations are colorful and adorable. The ending is very sweet as well, pointing out that each of us has talents and those should be celebrated.
Jeremy
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I'm a sucker for anything with baby penguins in it. Before I even opened this, I knew it was getting at least 3 stars, based on that fact alone.

Upon opening it, I found it to be a cute story that I would recommend to children aged 3-6 who are anxious about moving, going to a new school, etc.
Tiffany
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it
The pictures are very, very cute, but the story itself is pretty flat. Though the reading level was appropriate for my 6 year old, he was bored by the story, which was better suited to my 4 year old.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Charming book about a little penguin who has to move from her home and grandparents when her father gets a new job. I loved the bright, colorful illustrations. Full review here:

Watoosa
Apr 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I think this is my favorite M Watt book thus far. I love the tributes to different artists on each page, and Augustine has the most lovely, soft little lavender body. It's not as funny as the Squirrel and Chester books, just very sweet.
Chelsea
I give it an extra star too! Love this cute book about how hard it can be to move far from friends and family as a kid! The art theme and bold colors as well as kid-like drawings makes this book a favorite of ours!!
Anne
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2010
Augustine and her family move from teh South Pole to the North Pole for her dads new job.

Fabulous illustrations. Nice storyline for young child who is moving to a new place.
Liz Todd
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Could be helpful for a kid in transition. Otherwise, I just did not like this one. Melanie Watt is a fave, though.
Elly White
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, 2014

The illustrations are adorable cutie little penguin, and puns are. The story, however, falls flat, some puns and jokes help it along but it’s a meh story.
Riley Munro
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Our family adores this book.
Kayla
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great story about moving to a new place.
Marcy Turner
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
This was such a sweet book that would be great for any child moving to a new school. Demonstrates the importance of family, friends, and just being yourself.
Ginny
Nov 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Augustine is sooo cute. I want to snuggle him!

• Penguin Problems
It was in a design class taught by Michèle Lemieux at the University of Quebec in Montreal that author and illustrator Mélanie Watt created her first picture book, Leon the Chameleon, which was later published by Kids Can Press. Watt went on to create several more books, including the Learning with Animals collection and Augustine, which was named an ALA Notable Children's Book. Watt has also ...more