Start by marking “The Greatest War Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from Military History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy” as Want to Read:

Search the annals of military history and you will discover no end of quirky characters and surprising true stories: The topless dancer who saved the Byzantine Empire. The World War I battle that was halted so a soccer game could be played. The scientist who invented a pigeon-guided missile in 1943. And don't forget the elderly pig whose death triggered an international ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Greatest War Stories Never Told, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greatest War Stories Never Told

Start your review of The Greatest War Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from Military History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy
Billy Roper
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended! Short, snarky, wise stories of military history trivia that even the best educated reader almost certainly never knew.
Miloș Dumbraci
Jan 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
The ”never told” stories are actually extremely well known ones (Boadicea, Chrismas Truce, Enigma etc.), presented here for the extra-dummies and ridiculously simplified, turned into dumb ”wow” snippets...
Good maybe for elementary school children.
Heather
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun short read with interesting stories. Not just for the military history buff, but general history too.
Jean
Little snippets of unusual history. Good.
Ridwan Anam
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very simple, childish, without depth. Not recommended for History Buffs.
Vinayak Malik
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good collection of Bite sized anecdotes.
Vicki Crabtree
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing stories.
Omar El Sahhar
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and informative short stories to the point.
Would definitely read it again
LT
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
interesting trivia; fun and easy to read
Thebruce1314
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another interesting collection of random facts from history. This is the kind of thing that made me interested in history to begin with. Though these stories are mostly related to war, the reader doesn't have to be a war buff to appreciate them. Highly recommended for teachers, casual readers and lovers of random facts.
Saralyn
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a perfect book for me. I enjoy history, but my attention span isn't long enough for most history books. Simplify, people! So this was great because each story was just a few paragraphs long. I read the book in practically one sitting. I had heard a couple of the stories, but most of them were new to me. History is fascinating. I'm grateful for people who dig up the cool stuff. :)
E. Kahn
Oct 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
A collection of short historical essays purporting to cover little-known events to "astonish, bewilder and stupefy."

Unfortunately, most of these events are really well-known and the essays are neither very exciting nor too accurate, with assertions ranging from comically oversimplified to downright falsehood.
Liza Gilbert
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is my favorite of the Beyer "Stories Never Told" series so far. I felt there was a better balance throughout history (though I would have loved to read more Middle East stories). The only question remains: when will Beyer write about the greatest women's stories, animal stories, love stories, and arts stories?
Andrew
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Okay, the title is misleading. To anyone well-read (or from Seattle), you'll know a bit of the history of the Pig War or that Butch O'Hare's father was a lawyer for Al Capone. But it is a clever compilation of war-time stories and is well-illustrated too.
Saikat Basu
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
An enjoyable read over one afternoon. It is not a scholarly work by any stretch of the imagination, but the "history" behind the history is enthralling. If you want to read the connection between pizzas and the Iraq War, do give the pages a turn.
Dio Handoyo
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun & light. You find revealing new facts here and there, all backed with valid sources. The only minus is that the most recent conflict included is the '91 Gulf War (the War on Terror is sure to have a few interesting stories), but otherwise an interesting read.
Jack M
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As usual, a fantastic book from this lineup of history "tales". Rick Beyer is a phenomenal author and puts things into ways that the readers can understand. He should make a book about the greatest gaming stories . Great book!
Jean
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
These are interesting little short stories, but I guess I was hoping for more substance. Nonetheless, some of the stories are historically important, sometimes turning points in history.
Steve
Jan 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very short but interesting snippets of unusual war stories, a very quick read.
John Latham
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, the comedy in this book is amazing, war isn't always for glorious reasons, and this book points that out.
Alan
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book to read. It tells you about some interesting trivia.
David Devine
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
An interesting book of historical anecdotes. Easy reading and rather enjoyable. Full of fun facts with insight to some of history's events.
Caden
Apr 30, 2016 added it
very exiting learned a lot about wars that were forgotten
Vikas Datta
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very interesting incidents but a little too sketchy... But still a good read..
Debbie
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
It is a very easy read for non-fiction. Full of interesting tidbits of knowlege about military history from Ancient Rome to modern times. I like it, and I am NOT a military history fan at all.
Josh Liller
Nov 25, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: military
Short, simple, but entertaining trivia book.
Kati Polodna
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting war anecdotes from ancient to modern times.
Jim Welke
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good book to read and get ideas for things you might want to read more about, like an event or a person. The book is based on a TV show, that was on the History Channel, the author also does documentaries.
George Lai
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read about a third of the book. Whist some of the stories are interesting, it is like reading a long Twitter feed. I guess trying to squeeze 100 stories into just over 200 pages is just not doable as a proper book to read.
Thomas
Jan 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
great book with some great stories

• Mrs. Kennedy and Me: An Intimate Memoir
  • Henry VIII: The Quest For Fame (Penguin Monarchs)
  • Jefferson's Daughters: Three Sisters, White and Black, in a Young America
  • God Is With You Every Day
  • Great Quotes from Great Leaders
  • When God Whispers Your Name
  • Five Presidents: My Extraordinary Journey with Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, and Ford
  • Without a Doubt
  • The Point of It All: A Lifetime of Great Loves and Endeavors
  • First Women: The Grace and Power of America's Modern First Ladies
  • Once Upon a Time: Behind the Fairy Tale of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier
  • He Chose the Nails: What God Did to Win Your Heart
  • The Residence: Inside the Private World of the White House
  • The Smart One and the Pretty One
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us - Year Three
  • Cats Are Capable of Mind Control: And 1,000+ UberFacts You Never Knew You Needed to Know
  • Beyond bizarre
  • 100 Things Packers Fans Should Know  Do Before They Die
Rick Beyer is a best-selling author, an award-winning filmmaker and long-time history enthusiast. His newest book, Rivals Unto Death traces the thirty-year rivalry of Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr.
"In this fascinating dual biography, Beyer brings these two towering figures to vivid life on the page." --New York Times bestselling author Hampton Sides.
Beyer is the co-author (with Elizabeth