Start by marking “Velocity” as Want to Read:
Velocity

Velocity (Karen Vail #3)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,222 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Detective Robby Hernandez, Karen Vail’s boyfriend, has vanished into the dense air of a Napa Valley evening. There are no clues to his whereabouts, other than a blood stain and tenuous connections to a vicious serial killer operating in the wine country.

As the task force struggles with Robby’s disappearance, the killer challenges Vail by boldly leaving his high profile vic

Audiobook, 0 pages
Published October 5th 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published September 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Velocity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Velocity

Terri Armstrong
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Velocity” by Alan Jacobson:

Being a Alan Jacobson virgin, I didn’t know what to expect from his novel “Velocity”. From the first sentence I knew this book would intrigue and entertain me like nothing else. I wasn’t wrong.
FBI Agent Karen Vail has a problem. The man she’s involved with, Robby Hernandez went missing on their “vacation”. John Mayfield—a suspect they have in custody—could be the answer to Vail’s biggest question. However, fellow agent Ray Lugo—whose wife and child were kidnapped by M
Amy
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Velocity is the latest in a series that revolves around Karen Vail, an FBI profiler, and in this case she’s in Napa Valley trying to catch a serial killer. Jacobson captures wine country perfectly, with the descriptions of winery operations, the rural countryside, and the personalities of the nouveau riche jumping into the wine industry. He clearly knows the region. Vail is not a ‘chick’ cop, and fortunately, there are no descriptions of her designer purse or what fashions she may be wearing. Sh
Christine
May 24, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am disappointed at how strong this series started in the first book and then went downhill in the second book and then hit rock bottom in this third book. It seemed that all Karen did was search for Robbie and bitch and moan. I was so annoyed with her that by the end of the book I was glad it was over. I didn't like the ending of the book but I guess that since this book was so blah it was a "perfect" ending.
Clare
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Velocity’s crippling flaw is its main character, Karen Vail, a brash, rude, and immature FBI agent so obsessed with rescuing her kidnapped boyfriend that she neglects her job, breaks into houses, and insults nearly everyone she encounters–and we’re supposed to sympathize with her. It’s also an installment in a series that can’t stand on its own; you have to have read Crush, the previous novel in the series, to understand the first half. It’s not worth your time.
Gmr
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Finished this one off in the wee hours of the morning...and honestly, can't say that I'm sorry it's over. The writing was good, but the story didn't live up to what I sampled of the book from the start. You see, I read the excerpt...which is almost a full chapter if not a full chapter and what a wicked rush that was. Seriously...the lead bad guy had issues and they manifested in the usual way...death and mayhem. Needless to say I was quite surprised when the book turned the focus to a missing pe ...more
Diane
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great continuation from Crush. A very good look at human smuggling, drug smuggling and cartels makes you appreciate our law enforcement officers and the dangers that await them. Karen Vail is a very likable, at times careless (regarding herself, not the ones she cares for), and determined woman. The extremes that Karen goes to find her man - to hell with procedure (not always), humans have to come first.

This is one great series of books - a must read for anyone that likes murder mysteries and cr
Vannessa Anderson

This was the first book I read in the Karen Vail series and I’m going to be hard pressed to read another. Though well written with good transitions, I found the main character unbelievable.

Karen Vail’s boyfriend, a fellow cop, was kidnapped. She ignored law enforcement protocol to save him. Her main mission was to save her boyfriend no matter how many other law enforcement personal who could or would be hurt or killed.

I’ve read other books narrated by Deanna Hurst and enjoyed her narration but,
Nicola Mansfield
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary defines "velocity" as "The speed and direction of motion of a moving body." FBI Profiler Karen Vail is that moving body and she is running to beat the clock with a fiery momentum to find her missing boyfriend who has disappeared into thin air with no clues but a possible connection with a serial killer. Unusual in the mystery/thriller series genre, Velocity picks up right where Crush ended. Literally starting with the next chapter. The plot starts off hi ...more
Jessica O'Connor
This book was so bad that I was rooting for the bad guys.

First off if you didn't read the previous book you will be extremely confused at the beginning. There ARE ways to handle a book where you readers might not have read the first one, but evidently Mr. Jacobson couldn't be bothered.

Nevertheless, don't worry too much because this plot has it all. Serial killers and the other serial killers who emulate them (I think), drug cartels, law enforcement corruption, product placement plugs for Micro
Leslie Barrett Garel
Ok....I have really enjoyed the first 3 books and the story lines with this character, but in this one? Yeah, she's a little over the top. No way her bosses would let her continue with the way she was acting!! I can always suspend my beliefs and allow a little "cheat" now and then to forward a story, but this one went a little far for me to believe all those around her just kept looking the other way. Hoping the next books have her acting normally again.
Mark
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jacobson's Karen Vail is still tied up in investigations in the California Wine Region, but this time, it involves the Mexican cartels' efforts to smuggle drugs & the disappearance of her beau, Robby Hernandez...decent page-turner!
Suzanne Strack
I picked this up without reading the Karen Vail #1 or #2 books. Jacobson does give some vague references to things the previously happened in the story, that I have to assume happened in one of the earlier books. Other than that, I enjoyed the book.
Carol
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced and interesting, but characters are a bit over the top.
Vivien Tsang
Like Las Vegas scenes and the team actually working together
Renie Zaccardo
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action packed. Twist and turns. Did not want to put it down.
Alex Telander
After the cliffhanger of Crush, Karen Vail is right back in the thick of it. The key to these books is the realism Alan Jacobson puts into his characters and his story, keeping the reader hooked until the end, as they simply have no idea what is going to happen next and who will survive.

We last left FBI profiler Karen Vail with the Crush killer caught, and the serial killings in the beautiful wine county of Napa Valley finally at an end; but the nightmare is still continuing for Vail, as her boy
Lee
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the review from my blog - I am cheating and just copying it here. However if you go to my blog, there is actually a comment from the author himself. He saw my review on twitter thanks to my hashtag and actually read it. Amazing! http://prideisland.com/?p=318

Velocity is the third book in the Karen Vail series and tied into Crush the second book in the series. Since I read Crush back in January, I went back in re-read it as there were details that I was fuzzy on and couldn't remember. Velo
Darcy
James
Jun 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This was my first mystery featuring renowned FBI profiler Karen Vail. It appears to pick up where the last plot line/novel ended. While working on a serial killer case in the Napa Valley of California, her boyfriend, Detective Robby Hernandez, vanishes into thin air. There are no clues to his whereabouts, other than a blood stain in the bedroom and a tenuous connection to the vicious serial killer operating in the area. As the task force searching for Robby, the serial killer challenges them by ...more
Marisa
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was confused about the turn this book took from the last one. I feel like Jacobson became so hurriedly absorbed in the new plot (view spoiler) ...more
Cynthia K
I probably shouldn't have waited five years between reading "Crush" and this next installment in the series. I was confused by all of the character names in just the first few pages. Things were vaguely familiar but I found this distracting from enjoying this very high-tension story.
The tension was almost too much. I remember liking the heroine, Karen Vail, an FBI profiler with an anger management problem, in the first two installments. I liked Vail less in this book. Her single-mindedness about
VLynch
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Jeff Hawley
There were two things about this book that made me downgraded a little bit. The first is that it is a sequel. Not having read the previous book, Crush, it took about 15 percent into the book before I really understood what was happening. I wish I had read the other book first. Second, towards the end things got a little bit hectic, disjointed and unbelievable . One thing that I did like about the book is that it was realistic in the sense that DNA results don't come back instantly, subpoenas are ...more
Yvonne Taylor
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the Karen Vail Series, and this book was AMAZING!!! Karen finds herself in more trouble, but always seems to get herself out of it with some major help.....
Karen and Robby leave for California for a much needed vacation. When Karen gets involved with a local case, that leaves Robby to venture around. Robby ends up missing and Karen is not sure if he is dead or alive but she will not stop until she finds him.
This book is loaded with action. So fast paced it is so hard to put dow
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a lot of twists and turns to the plot in this book. In general, I felt that it held my interest well enough. Some parts were a little bit slow and there were areas where Mr. Jacobson was oddly, overly descriptive. The pace and timing of the book is a little inconsistent, in my opinion. However, I did only have time to read this in spurts, so I'm sure that contributes to my feeling of a few continuity issues.

If I could give it 3.5 stars, I would, but I'll round up my rating to be gener
Valerie Roberts
I just read all three of the books in this series. The main thing they have going for them is suspense. Otherwise, I'm not sure if I would have continued reading them. The second and third books are really just one book, cut in the middle. And the things that happens to the main character are just preposterous. A few of them could plausibly happen to any FBI agent, but all of them in succession? It was just over the top, but with enough suspense to keep me reading, when I should have been doing ...more
Lora King
This book continues the story started in "Crush". I liked Crush a bit better, this made Vail seem like a Wonder Woman, Superman super hero. Her character actually grated on my nerves and really I just had to sit back and enjoy the ride on this one because it was just too unbelievable. And Vail wasn't the only super hero, but I did enjoy some of the new characters and I bet we'll see them in future Karen Vail books. But I did enjoy the glimpse into the interagency work done by all the alphabet so ...more
Daniel Boles
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Alan Jacobson showed me how much I love Karen Vail, FBI Probiler for a third time. Her quick wit and sarcastic behavior only make me love her more. I wouldn't say that this one is as good as the first two, but only because I felt like he wrapped up the end very quickly. The other two Karen Vail novels had nice twists at the end, but for some reason, he did not allow that same ending to occur in this one. Overall, still an exciting read, but I wanted to see an Alan Jacobson ending.
Chocbookworm
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another terrific "Karen Vail" novel that keeps you turning the pages. However, as the third book in the series it is recommend to read them in order to get all the pieces of the puzzle.

As an FBI profiler, Karen Vail, certainly gets involved in more than her normal duties and nothing seems to stop her even the law. She risks her life as well as the lives of many others to save the life of one of her own.

If you enjoy "Criminal Minds" and "CSI" then this is definitely your type of series.
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book picked up right where the second book "Crush" left off... and since I read it about 2 years ago, it made Velocity a little hard to follow at first. I'd recommend reading Velocity right after Crush so that you can understand the references to Crush throughout Velocity. However, after about 1/3 of the way through I really got into the book, it has lots of action and keeps the pages turning. Overall, a good read.
  • Hostile Intent (Devlin, #1)
  • Mourn The Living
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • Revenge of Innocents (Carolyn Sullivan, #4)
  • Triple Exposure
  • Farraday Road (Lije Evans Mysteries #1)
  • The Malacca Conspiracy
  • A Little Death in Dixie (Detective Billy Able, #1)
  • Watchlist
  • The Dead Man (Jack Davis Mystery, #2)
  • Striking Back
  • Deceit
  • Get Some
  • Hour of the Hunter (Walker Family, #1)
  • Crossing the Line
  • The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)
  • Bake Sale Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #13)
  • Sacred Secrets (Jacody Ives Mystery)
ALAN JACOBSON is the USA Today bestselling author of eleven critically acclaimed, award-winning thrillers. His 20 years of research and training with the FBI’s Behavioral Analysis Unit, DEA, US Marshals Service, ATF, Scotland Yard, SWAT, and the US military bring unparalleled realism to his stories and characters—prompting the San Francisco Chronicle to write that “Alan Jacobson researches his boo ...more
More about Alan Jacobson...

Karen Vail (7 books)
  • The 7th Victim (Karen Vail, #1)
  • Crush (Karen Vail #2)
  • Inmate 1577 (Karen Vail #4)
  • No Way Out (Karen Vail, #5)
  • Spectrum (Karen Vail, #6)
  • The Darkness of Evil (Karen Vail, #7)