Start by marking “The Fifty Greatest Conspiracies of All Time: History's Biggest Mysteries, Coverups, and Cabals” as Want to Read:

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  321 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A startling collection of conspiracy theories examines the death of JFK, Marilyn Monroe, Martin Luther King, and John Lennon, while discussing the CIA's manipulation of the media, biological warfare, the Jack the Ripper slayings, and more. Original.
Published December 1st 1994 by Citadel Pr

To ask other readers questions about The Fifty Greatest Conspiracies of All Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fifty Greatest Conspiracies of All Time

Dj
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So much promise of entertainment and so little return. It would seem that almost all the 'Great' Conspiracies waited until the 20th Century to take place. A few of the Conspiracies in this book are real, like the release of Sarin Gas in the subway in Japan. However the book goes on to add that it might have been part of a plot for Soviet Russia to invade Japan...Wonder if anyone thought to check troop and fleet deployments for the Great Bear at the time, since invasions are rarely done without a ...more
Trevor
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been sometime since I invested this much time in a non-fiction book. The reason this one caught my eye is because I've always been intrigued by Conspiracies and was watching a show of the same title on Tech TV. On that show they repeatedly interviewed Jonathan Vankin commenting on his being the coauthor of this book. I was intrigued enough to spend the $30+ CDN to own this book.

The book is a collection of 80 conspiracies that are listed as the 'greatest'. It covered varied topics from The
Jose Moran
In December, I went to The Last Bookstore in Downtown Los Angeles and was in love with their discount section upstairs. I had a few books I saw that I had always wanted to buy, but I saw this book. A book with a Barnes and Noble discount sticker half-ripped off of the book cover sleeve. It interested both my boyfriend and I, so I took a gamble and bought this book because I didn't think I would ever run into it again. The fact that I'd never seen it, should've been the first clue about it's past ...more
L.C. Frey
Great book!

Short, to the point and fun to read. Witty, also.

And to be honest, an endless source of inspiration. Whenever I need to come up with the real bad guys (or the real stupid ones) there is a certain probability that I did deeper research on an ideo that I found in this book, if not while watching the X-Files.

A must read for every one who likes to gain a certain basic knowledge of famous conspiracies - and very refreshing, sonce the authors still keep a certain professional distance to th
Lance Lumley
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that can see both sides of topics
I am not follower of conspiracy theories, although some of them are interesting to read about. This book was easy to read and put into nice chapters that the reader could read one chapter a day or several.
The theories that are covered here are topics like JFK, Reagan assassination attempt, to Princess Diana and John Lennon. There are some that you would expect like the murder of Lincoln to Marilyn Monroe to topics like the governments brainwashing people and aliens.
Even though some of these
Nathan
Sep 23, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: X-Files Fans
I got this book for three dollars in the cheapo bin at Barnes & Noble. Why? Because I'm a huge X-Files fan, and Chris Carter has admitted using this book as a reference in writing the show. And it's all here. At least half the conspiracies in this book have shown up on a TV show or a movie, and they're presented here as simply and amusingly as possible. An excellent reference book for deconstructive X-Files fans, and a perfect cover-to-cover read for ultimate paranoiacs. Definitely worth the ...more
Keith Davis
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While reading these short pieces about various conspiracy theories I started rating them either probably true, possible but unprovable, unlikely, highly unlikely, or completely ridiculous. For example: CIA plot to kill Castro - probably true, suppression of hemp farming by paper companies - possible but unprovable, Pearl Harbor allowed to happen by USA as excuse to join war - highly unlikely, fake moon landing - ridiculous.
Ramón
Jan 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remember that number of stars is how much you like it, not a literary evaluation. This is a pretty silly book, to be honest, but it was fun for me as an outed low-grade conspiracy theorist. Stay away from this book if the Federal Reserve seems like a totally normal idea to you or if you think Marilyn Monroe actually caused her own death with an overdose.
Derek
Feb 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very informative, if brief, introduction to 80 modern conspiracies. The title is actually a bit of a misnomer, because not all of the items discussed are "conspiracies," per se. Still, it was an enjoyable read, and well-worth tracking down, if only for the valuable bibliographies after each of the articles.
Robert
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading a book like this one, because i found out many new conspiracies and theories. Even though I don't believe all of them, I have a better knowledge on conspirational theories and conspiracies.
Carol Ann
I had initially requested 70 greatest, however 60 turned out to be plenty. Everything is a conspiracy, I am still trying to figure out why I wanted to read it. Someone put it in my mind, must be a small conspiracy!
Dan
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best of the books of this type. The major claims and objections to the most enduring conspiracy theories (JFK, Marilyn Monroe, Illuminati, Masons) are presented in an engaging writing style that keeps the reader wavering between credulity and skepticism.
Susan
May 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mixed with well documented facts and popular theories of what may have really happened in 60 historical events. Will have the reader asking if they belive the documented outcome of the event or if they should be asking if something else occured.
Nanci Svensson
If I were compiling an encyclopedia of conspiracy theories, I would have so much fun! These authors did not have fun.
Joy
Jan 25, 2008 rated it liked it
I read this a long time ago and now I see there are at least 30 new conspiracies I need to catch up on.
F. John
Jun 19, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a veritable into course to conspiracy theory stories. Makes you wonder...
Quinn
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
High 3. Would have been excellent if it were half as long. A mix of really cool and disturbing historical stories and complete nonsense.
Tonka0405
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is ok, made me think about some stuff. But maybe too focused on the theories about CIA.
Andrew
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction
That's not Oswald in the doorway!
Jeremy Burch
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Top notch coverage of some of the greatest nut theories out there. Food for thought though,....BTW,...when you buy this your name goes on Big Brothers watchlist. I'm kidding,....or am I?
Ivy
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's just a bunch of theories on historical as well as current events, so however you interpret this context is really at your own discretion...
Kevin
Feb 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My guiltiest pleasure.
Sentinel
rated it did not like it
Jun 04, 2013
Srynerson
Nov 15, 2013
Tara
Jan 25, 2010
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Author for ISBN 0806518332 2 14 Nov 15, 2013 11:24AM
  • Above Top Secret: Uncover the Mysteries of the Digital Age
  • The David Icke Guide to the Global Conspiracy: And How to End It
  • The Mammoth Book of Cover-Ups: The 100 Most Terrifying Conspiracies of All Time
  • Give Me Liberty!: An American History, Volume 2
  • Everything Is Under Control: Conspiracies, Cults and Cover-ups
  • The United States of Paranoia: A Conspiracy Theory
  • To the Best of My Ability
  • The Cold War: A History
  • United States: Essays 1952-1992
  • The Unseen Hand: An Introduction to the Conspiratoral View of History
  • The Pessimist's Guide to History: An Irresistible Guide to Compendium of Catastrophes, Barbarities, Massacres and Mayhem
  • The Imperial Presidency
  • Deep Politics and the Death of JFK
  • The New Penguin History of The World
  • From Colony to Superpower: U.S. Foreign Relations Since 1776
  • The CIA And The Cult Of Intelligence
  • A Question of Character: A Life of John F. Kennedy
  • The Secret Team: The CIA & its Allies in Control of the United States & the World