Start by marking “The Sisters Brothers” as Want to Read:
The Sisters Brothers

The Sisters Brothers

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  66,881 Ratings  ·  7,760 Reviews
Hermann Kermit Warm is going to die. The enigmatic and powerful man known only as the Commodore has ordered it, and his henchmen, Eli and Charlie Sisters, will make sure of it. Though Eli doesn't share his brother's appetite for whiskey and killing, he's never known anything else. But their prey isn't an easy mark, and on the road from Oregon City to Warm's gold-mining cla ...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Ecco

PirateSteve
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Saddle up and ride along with Charlie and Eli Sisters down a trail of dark comedy.
The horses are accustomed to gun fire but all your laughing out loud may spook'um a bit.

From what I've heard the production of this movie has finished and it should hit the theaters some time this year, 2018. Staring John C. Reilly, Joaquin Phoenix, Rutger Hauer and Jake Gyllenhaal.
Jason
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kindle, 2012, reviewed
This book has the coolest cover ever. What’s great, though, is that the coolness doesn’t end there.

Charlie and Eli sisters are Gold Rush–era contract killers. They’re hired for what Eli hopes to be their last job, as he’d much prefer to hang his holster and settle down with a nice girl—or failing that, the first trollop that crosses his path. It makes no difference to him, really (dude is such a sweetheart). Charlie, on the other hand, is the less sensitive one. It’d be tougher to convince him t
Anmiryam
Oct 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book. It jumped off of my pile of shortlisted Booker Prize nominees and demanded to be read first. Everything about it shouted "Yes, it's literature, but IT's FUN." The premise is that of a classic picaresque novel -- Charlie and Eli Sisters, two professional assassins in 1850 are sent by their employer to hunt down and kill Herman Kermit Warm who may, or may not, have stolen something. In the course of their journey from Oregon to California, at the height of the gold rush ...more
Gypsy
اووووف پسرررر این دیگه چی بود! :D

برادران سیسترز جدا از تکنیکهای ناب نویسندهش در دیالوگنویسی، شخصیتپردازی، پایانبندی و چارچوبِ کلی داستان، یه طنز سیاهِ قلقلکدهنده و در عین حال، یه جاهایی تلخ و گزنده داشت که بیاندازه آدمو به فکر فرو میبرد. غیر از خودِ سوژه و داستان دوتا داداشِ آدمکش- که به قدر کافی دیوونهوار هستن که دیوونههایی مث من خوششون بیاد :دی - کنشهای بین دوبرادر و سوژه فرعیهای داستان چقدر ماهرانه کاشته شده بودن. از جریان عاشقشدنهای پی در پیِ ایلای تا فلشبکهای اندک اما به جا و مهندسیشدهش، بر
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Sisters Brothersو Patrick deWitt
The Sisters Brothers (2011) is a historical novel by Canadian-born author Patrick deWitt.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: بیست و دوم فوریه سال 2013 میلادی
عنوان: برادران سیسترز؛ نویسنده: پاتریک دویت؛ مترجم: پیمان خاکسار؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، به نگار، چاپ دوم 1391، در 279 ص، اندازه 5/14 در 5/21 س.م.، شابک: 9789646332850؛ چاپ سوم: تهران، زاوش، 1392؛ شابک: 9786007283196؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران، نشر چشمه، 1393؛ شابک: 9786002294937؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان امریکای شمالی، داستانهای نو
Debra
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a strange, quirky and oddly captivating book that I simply could not put down.

Eli and Charlie Sisters are not only brothers, but they are assassins put to the task of killing Hermann Kermit Warm. It seems that Mr. Warm, who by all accounts is a likable fellow, has stolen something from the Commodore, the fearsome and loathsome employer of the Sisters brothers.

The year is 1851 ant the two brothers make their way through Oregon and California on the hunt for Mr. Warm. Along the way they w
Dan Schwent
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, lendable
When the Commodore orders the Sisters brothers to kill Herman Kermit Warm and take his mysterious formula, they have no idea the series of misadventures they will endure in the undertaking.

I've been interested in this book forever and nabbed it on the cheap when it popped up on one of my ebook newsletter things. It may have been that my expectations were too high but this didn't live up to the hype for me.

I liked the characters of Eli and Charlie Sister, natural born killers in the old west. The
Elyse
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My original review may still be missing...
but this but this book is a $1.99 Kindle special today.
It's TERRIFIC....
If this historical FUN fiction... about two brothers has been on readers TBR list -- this is a great price.

I remember saying in my "lost review". It was the best 'dude' book I had read. And ... yep... still holds. Great 'dude' book that any female will adore.

I was 'liking' a new friends review on this book --and notice my review was missing in action (Iris??)....a Standing joke fo
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Hooked by the title and cover
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: michael edwards
What the....really not sure what I just read. Yippie-yi-yo-kaye?
Like the *cover it's edgy, aptly tagged as 'cowboy noir'. Avoid it if you’re looking for a traditional western, no white hats, no riding happily off into the sunset. Same thing if you look for nice characters to bond with. A couple of hired guns Eli and brother Charlie Sisters aren’t particularly likeable unless you have a soft spot for psychopaths, Eli’s border-line and brother Charlie full-blown. Hey, they had a tough childhood.

R
Joe Valdez
Aug 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned, western
I was sitting in my car outside the Mission Viejo Public Library waiting for my friend Townes to come out with some books. I had told him I was in a western frame of mind and to pick me up something published rather recently. Like what, Townes had said. Like, The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt, published in 2011, I had said. I did not go inside with Townes because there was a cute South African librarian working there and I wasn't happy about my looks at the moment.

Townes came back with four
Sh3llraiser
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funneh, read-2016
$1.99 on Amazon Kindle: December 21, 2017

I've floated this before when it was on sale, but it's really good and deserves a shout-out! :)

1 DEC 2016: $1.99 on Kindle. This was really good, I thought! I recommend!

Review also found at : https://theparanormalpaladin.wordpres...

The setting for this book is during the time of the Gold Rush in California. Most people are dirt poor and lots of them headed west to try and make their fortune, but ended up starving to death, getting murdered, or died by so
Paul Bryant
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
The Sisters Brothers is the son of True Grit, a funny, heartbreaking 5 star novel from 1968. Same genre – unconsciously-hilarious wild west memoir written in curious stiff slightly formal and stilted but purely beautiful language beginning at the beginning and driving the surprising narrative always forward without stopping to apologise to all the dead people and animals encountered en route.

At this point you may say that this thing has also been done recently and won a big bad Booker for itsel
Arah-Lynda
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-said
I am so not the target audience for this story.
I mean it’s a western.
Right?
Still the cover art kept pulling at me

It’s the 1850’s, gold rush, California
And the Sisters Brothers are two killers for hire,
on the trail; on a job.

And I thoroughly enjoyed it, from the get go.

Charlie Sisters has the lead here, but it is Eli that will take you there.
And tell you all about his horse, poor Tub, and the women he meets along the way.
How he feels; what he wants; how he sees things, love and some alarmingly, g
Richard Derus
This ho-hum review of a ho-hum book got tricked up a bit and stuffed in a corner at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.

Oh, and if for some odd reason you have an opinion about my moving reviews off Goodreads, do feel free to keep it to yourself.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
da AL
May 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This rating is purely for the audiobook publisher, which I would've given negative stars if I could have. I didn't finish this book -- how can an audiobook publisher sell in good conscience an audiobook with only one track to a cd?!
Chia
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
برادران سیسترز دو تا آدمکش حرفه ای، خشن و دوست داشتنی هستن که با هم کار می کنن.
رابطشون غریب اما مستحکم.
داستان کشش خوبی داره، پر از خشونت و طنز.
خیلی حس دیدن یه فیلم تارانتینو رو به خواننده می ده، یه جاهایی مرگ های بی دلیل و خنده دار، دیالوگ های بی ربط ولی جذاب.
کتاب به تازگی توسط ژاک اودیار تبدیل به فیلم شده با بازی خواکین فینیکس، جان سی رایلی و جیک جیلنهال که تا یک ماه دیگه اکران میشه و انتخاب بازیگرها واقعا عالیه. این فیلم نامزد جایزه بهترین فیلم جشنواره ی ونیز امسال هست.
Annet
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great read, I love it...
EisNinE
A-yep. The Western is dead.
description
Yeah, I'm happy too, because I love stories about the bloody history of the not-so-new world. As much as I love the great Western classics, their time is up. The Western has carried a lot of negative shit in its saddle-bags, shit that needs to be buried with it. The Western began as Historical Fiction, obviously, but it's popularity soon made it a genre all it's own, one especially overloaded with clichés and predictability. It started selling myths as political propa
Amanda
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog
I like reading about bad people in fiction. And, lest we jump to conclusions, it's not because I'm a bad person myself (at least not in the torture or kill people kind of way; no, the sins in which I dabble are much more pedestrian than that), but it's because I like peering into those dark little corners of their brains. And, what is often the most frightening and fascinating is when I find that, really, they're much more like me than I care to admit.

Take Pulp Fiction, for example, which may b
Narges Aliyari
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
میخوام به یه چیزی اعتراف کنم ، من یه عادتهایی توی کتابخونی دارم که بعضی وقتا به نظرم خیلی مسخره است ، مثلا اگه موقع خوندن یه کتاب از داستان خوشم نیاد واسه اینکه از خیر خوندنش نگذرم و نیمه کاره رهاش نکنم و روحیه ام رو واسه ادامه ببرم بالا اون وسطا یه کلک میزنم و میرم سراغ خوندن یه کتاب کم حجم دیگه که فضای ذهنی ام رو عوض کنم، بعضی وقتها هم برعکس واسه بیشتر کردن هیجان خوندن یه کتاب که خیلی تعریفش رو شنیدم قبل از خوندن، یه کتاب دیگه بعنوان دست گرمی میخونم که وقتی رفتم سراغ کتاب مورد نظر قشنگ تشنه تش ...more
Steven  Godin
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, america
Brimming with the spark of old westerns, Patrick DeWitt goes all out to stamp his mark on the wild-west, which resulted in a cracking read that was a hell of a lot of fun. Even though I am still scratching my head as to why I liked it so much. Because in places, it's pretty stupid. Take away the brutal realistic nature of Blood Meridian, add some Coen brothers dark humour, and an oddball bunch of characters, and we have The Sister's Brother's.

It all begins with the image a horse on fire, so anim
Peter
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Satirical
The Sisters Brothers is a truly original novel. While it’s a Western, it doesn’t completely feel like it. The writing style is lyrical and the dialogue flows so effortlessly and its satirical interweaving of humour, brotherhood, intrigue and murder, makes this an exceptional read.

The two Sisters brothers, Charlie and Eli are hitmen for the Commodore, who has contracted them to assassinate Hermann Kermit Warm. They are both remorseless killers but Eli wants to try new things and dream
Megan Baxter
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I love the cover of this book. Simply love it. And I'd hoped that I'd be as excited by the words inside the pages. Unfortunately, not so much. It wasn't bad, it just never quite grabbed me, never convinced me of the genius that existed between the covers that had it nominated for so many awards.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the recent changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision here.

In the meantime, you can read the entire revie
Melki
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Masterful storytelling highlights this deceptively simple tale of the Sisters brothers, two lowly paid assassins on their way to commit murder and collect their wages. While Eli yearns for a different life and serves as the conscience of the duo, Charlie is the trigger finger. He is violent, remorseless and prone to destructive habits. I've read very few westerns. This one puts me in mind of Pete Dexter's "Deadwood." Gritty and realistic - you can smell the mud and blood.
It's sometimes hard to t
Shovelmonkey1
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of david milch
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: booker prize nominee
De Witt's offering for the Man Booker 2011 nominations. I've now read nearly all the nominations and am convinced he should have won. This book was placed against Snowdrops, Jamrach's Menagerie, Half Blood Blues, The Sense of an Endingand Pigeon English. The prize went to Barnes for his "not the Turning of the Screw" The Sense of an Ending. It's very difficult to directly compare and contrast such a widely varied set of novels and then pick the best... a bit like arguing which is best, legs or a ...more
Andrew Smith
Set, initially, in Oregon in the early 1850’s, we are introduced to Eli Sisters and his brother Charlie. Initially we are given little information regarding this pair, but we soon glean that they are prone to violent acts and have been dispatched to California to hunt down, and kill, a man named Hermann Kermit Warn, at the behest of someone referred to as the Commodore. It seems that killing people is what they do.

On their travels they meet up with people from whom they typically attempt to glea
Lyn
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Coen Brothers film alert!

Coen Brothers film alert!

Or Wes Anderson. Or Quintin Tarantino.

Actually I see on IMDB that the film will come out in 2018, directed by Jacques Audiard. Jake Gyllenhaal will portray Warm (great casting), Joaquin Phoenix as Charlie and John C. Reilly as Eli (GREAT casting!)

So what’s all the fuss about? Patrick deWitt’s 2011 novel pays playful homage to the literary western in this delicious dark comedy.

Infamous western hitmen Charlie and Eli Sisters are on their latest ass
Kemper
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, western, modern-lit
The Sisters who kill together stay together.

Eli Sisters and his older brother Charley are a couple of killers working for the Commodore in 1850s Oregon. Their latest assignment is to journey to San Francisco during the latest gold rush and kill a chemist named Hermann Warm. Along the way they kill some people and Eli learns how to brush his teeth.

I’d been meaning to read this one for years, and the trailer for the movie finally got me off my ass. Unfortunately, I found myself a shade disappointe
RandomAnthony
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Patrick deWitt's The Sisters Brothers reads like a novel written by a guy under Faulker and Cormac McCarthy's influence but who dispenses, wisely, with 95% of the deep meaning and sticks with a solid, cinematic storyline instead. That's a good decision. Trust me.

The Sisters Brothers proceeds as if the book should have a whistle-heavy soundtrack for the inevitable film, with the lead roles played by up and coming actors of whom we haven't yet heard. Eli and Charlie Sisters, feared killers for hir
·Karen·
A novel that is as whip-snap sharp and original as the artwork on the cover. Well, I say original, but who am I to judge, as I don't read Westerns and have never read any of the stuff that Mr de Witt is being compared to. I've not read Charles Portis (maybe I should?), although I did sit through the recent Coen Brothers film of True Grit, desperately trying to make out what on earth Jeff Bridges was mumbling about, and not succeeding most of the time. (How a man can win an Oscar for Best Actor w ...more
Tea & Mystery Boo...: Books on film 1 4 Sep 21, 2018 10:18AM
Retro Chapter Chi...: The Sisters Brothers (September 2018) 7 8 Sep 05, 2018 04:10AM
Flights of Fantasy: Sisters Brothers 15 21 Jul 20, 2018 04:04PM
Play Book Tag: (Decathlon) The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt - 4 stars 6 18 May 30, 2018 04:52AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 43 The Sisters Brothers 1 5 Nov 25, 2016 07:58AM
  • Monkey Beach
  • Indian Horse
  • A Cupboard Full of Coats
  • Train Dreams
  • The Bishop's Man (The Cape Breton Trilogy #2)
Patrick deWitt was born on Vancouver Island in 1975. He is the author of Help Yourself Help Yourself (2007, Teenage Teardrops), Ablutions (Feb. 09, Houghton-Mifflin Harcourt/Granta), which was named a New York Times Editors' Choice book, and The Sisters Brothers (May 2011, Ecco/House of Anansi). He lives in Portland, Oregon, with his wife and son.
“The creak of bed springs suffering under the weight of a restless man is as lonely a sound as I know.” 94 likes
“...but I could not sleep without proper covering and spent the rest of the night rewriting lost arguments from my past, altering history so that I emerged victorious.” 84 likes