Start by marking “Peace, Power, Righteousness: An Indigenous Manifesto” as Want to Read:
Peace, Power, Righteousness: An Indigenous Manifesto

Peace, Power, Righteousness: An Indigenous Manifesto

This book challenges the contemporary wisdom on Aboriginal governance. It argues that indigenous peoples must return to their political traditions and use these traditions to educate a new generation of leaders committed to values and the preservation of indigenous nationhood.
Published June 10th 1999 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Peace, Power, Righteousness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace, Power, Righteousness

Oscar
Proving instrumental to how I engage with Indigenous politics, and continue to develop my decolonising praxis.
Shelly
Jan 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
When reviewing this book, I have to keep in mind that I am not the intended target audience. This book is aimed at indigenous peoples and proposes a way for people to through off the shackles of colonialism once and for all. That being said, I generally do not like reading manifestos. They generally suggest radical overhauls of systems, and while I agree with the critiques of the system (in this case colonial) manifestos are ideological and rarely transform well into practice.

Taiaiake is very t
Patricia
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I've had this book for years and tried to read it multiple times. Unfortunately I am too simple minded to read Taiaiake Alfred, apparently: it was just too difficult for my dyslexic head.
joshua
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the 2nd edition - with a really great preface. Besides bringing together a ton of indigenous authors, scholars, and interviews - Alfred brings his own brilliance. I found his interview with Vine Deloria especially golden.

His work needs to be understood as prophetic in the sense that he's speaking a brighter reality into the abyss. Perhaps some readers will think his objectives for moving towards healing for indigenous peoples (away from assimilation) to be unrealistic. He is flying in th
Peter Vicaire
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fascinating book. Alfred Taiaiake provides a thoughtful (and much needed) look at indigenous rights outside the scope of newcomer state perspectives. It was refreshing to read a truly indigenous perspective on rights, power, sovereignty and self-determination - a perspective which is not premised on the automatic acceptance of state-enforced formulations. As the title plainly shows - it's a manifesto, so the language found within is expected to be bold and unwavering, and as such, inspiring. The ...more
Koa
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Indigenous/Native/First Nation peoples of the (earth), or anyone interested
Recommended to Koa by: my kumu (teacher)
Written by Taiaiake Alfred of the Mohawk nation, this book clearly defines Political Relationships between the state. Taiaiake calls for Indignous independance, but urges us (indignenous people) not to recreate a structure that is based on westeren thought and ideas (from a western framwork). What he is calling for is OUR form of Government, recalling traditional indigneous forms of Governance. We will never be independant unless we not only have the traditional culture but the traditional forms ...more
Mike Hayden
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Alfred's arguments against the word sovereignty and criticism of much of the language of First Nation Leaders for selling out to colonial demands are very rooted in his understanding of tradition and history, as well as western social-political theory. Well written and accessible, this book needs to be read by all Canadians so that it can move past and reconcile with its colonial past.
Ishita
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An articulate vision on the philosophy behind why indigenous communities require their own form of traditional governance, separated from the colonial infrastructure that is imposed currently. Passionate, and clear this books is a must read for anyone interested in indigenous affairs and Canadian politics.
Kennedy Dee
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Stirred me deeply and thus renewed my passion for Indigenous studies...
Elias
Jan 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Read selections of this for a Sociology course. Recommended for fans of post-colonial theory.
Scott Neigh
Jul 02, 2009
Theresa Arias
Apr 16, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Unsettling the Settler Within: Indian Residential Schools, Truth Telling, and Reconciliation in Canada
  • A Fair Country: Telling Truths About Canada
  • A National Crime: The Canadian Government and the Residential School System
  • Dancing on Our Turtle's Back: Stories of Nishnaabeg Re-Creation, Resurgence, and a New Emergence
  • Red Skin, White Masks: Rejecting the Colonial Politics of Recognition
  • Indigenous Writes: A Guide to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Issues in Canada
  • Decolonizing Methodologies: Research and Indigenous Peoples
  • New Worlds for All: Indians, Europeans, and the Remaking of Early America
  • Red Earth, White Lies: Native Americans and the Myth of Scientific Fact
  • A Short History of Indians in Canada: Stories
  • Violence Over the Land: Indians and Empires in the Early American West
  • 500 Years of Indigenous Resistance
  • Research Is Ceremony: Indigenous Research Methods
  • The Education of Augie Merasty: A Residential School Memoir
  • Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History
  • 21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act: Helping Canadians Make Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples a Reality
  • Queer Indigenous Studies: Critical Interventions in Theory, Politics, and Literature
  • The Transit of Empire: Indigenous Critiques of Colonialism
Gerald Taiaiake Alfred is a Full Professor in IGOV and in the Department of Political Science. He specializes in studies of traditional governance, the restoration of land-based cultural practices, and decolonization strategies. He is a prominent Indigenous intellectual and advisor to many First Nation governments and organizations. He has been awarded a Canada Research Chair, a National Aborigina ...more