Start by marking “Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalog” as Want to Read:
Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalog

Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalog

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Get Up Off Your Knees is a thoughtful and provocative collection of sermons by a group of preachers from across the international church spectrum who have been moved to theological reflection on the art and work of U2. This book will appeal to fans of U2, students of homiletics, and everyone interested in the intersection of art, popular culture, and religion.
Published November 30th 2003 by Cowley Publications (first published May 25th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Get Up Off Your Knees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Up Off Your Knees

Neil Coulter
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: worship, u2, non-fiction
I didn't read this cover-to-cover, but it's not really that sort of book anyway. It's a collection of 26 short (a few pages each) sermons, each one based loosely on one or more U2 songs. I guess it would work best as devotional reading. Its primary contribution is not to U2 studies, but some of the sermons did enhance my appreciation for U2 lyrics. Beth Maynard's sermon on "God, Part 2" (133-137) for example, reminded me of how good that song is, while also helping me to see it from a fresh pers ...more
Corey Friedrich
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Get Up Off Your Knees is a collection of sermons from ministers of different Christian denominations that are based on the lyrics of U2 songs. Each chapter begins with a scripture reference and the titles of one or two songs that the sermon is based on. The readings are best suited as daily devotionals. As with any collection of essays by different authors, quality varies from one chapter to the next. Still, there were some really great pieces here and the overall effect was a deeper understandi ...more
Skip
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A very informative spiritual guide to the link between Christian faith and the songs of U2. Edited by two Episcopalians, the book contains sermons from across the spectrum of Christian faith that demonstrate links between the songs/lyrics of U2 and the band members' {particularly lead vocalist/frontman Bono Vox) pronouncements about their faith experiences. A wonderful book for those fans of U2 and those who are able to find credible links between pop culture and the Christian experience.
Sarah Dylan
Jul 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
OK ... so I'm biased. :D
Harry
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great selection of sermons based on U2 songs. For those of us who are pastors and U2 fans, it is a fun book...especially while thinking of doing a series of sermons along these lines. Read...get inspired...and enjoy.
Julie M
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dawn
Recommended to Julie by: Dawn
Shelves: own-this-book
Some of these essays were very insightful, some farfetched, and some just not . . well written. Still, I'll read most anything about my favorite rock stars! Poor Bono, he's in tough shape this month after his bicycle accident in Central Park. Healing prayers to him.
RF
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
We like U2... a lot...
Shawn
May 07, 2009 added it
Shelves: u2
Just because I have read does not mean that anyone should expect this stuff. Besides, if I am to quote anyone out here, I would quote either country artists or the Rat Pack.
Steve