Start by marking “I Am Right You Are Wrong” as Want to Read:
I Am Right You Are Wrong

I Am Right You Are Wrong

In this trailblazing book, Edward de Bono shows why our most crucial problems cannot be solved by traditional Western thought with its rigid insistence on facts. Genuinely revolutionary--a synthesis of neuroscience, psychology, and philosophy--this work is bound to change the way we think.
Published December 1st 1990 by Penguin Books (first published 1990)

Start your review of I Am Right You Are Wrong
Jack
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After I read this book, I changed from being constantly argumentative to constantly resolving argument, and stopped placing so much importance on ceaselessly being right. Life-changing!
girish
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Thinking is an art that needs to be understood and sharpened.The methods to do so are unconventional, but they are so only b'cos of our ignorance of the art of thought application and of serious deep thinking that has the aim- to UNDERSTAND AND WEIGH the matter rather than discuss and preach regarding it.
This book was a revelation to me and hopefully i will manage to take a leaf out of it.For all those who are wondering whether to read it or not, i say- READ IT. even if you dont like it, you wou
Abner Rosenweig
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Revolution is often associated with violence, emotion, and the collapse of great monuments. It's difficult to recognize how a new mode of thought could be revolutionary, yet De Bono demonstrates this thesis in IARYAW.

With patience, the reader realizes De Bono's insights could help people to think better, see more clearly, be more creative, and live in a more just, equitable, and Utopian world as a result.

De Bono's basic idea is that modern thinking, including critical thinking and analysis built
Derek Baker
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
The guy thinks he can say whatever he wants.
Very difficult to read without stopping to say: That’s not what reason or thinking is!, or That’s not what knowledge is!
Lots of bad ideas.
Lots of bragging that he said this or that before it was popular.
Still, a few ideas you can use.
Skip the introduction, or you’ll just be angry (unless you’re into the anti-reason philosophies).
Read the first couple of chapters, through the octopi on the beach model.
I found that model useful as I read other books on
Natya Nauri
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here is the main idea of this book. Our society would be better if the people are well-equipped not only with norms and intelligence, but also with THINKING SKILL. Thinking skill doesn’t always related only with problem-solving, but also design thinking. Not only logical, but also creative and radical. Embracing not only fact, but also perception.
Odai Gassaime
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One word before finishing this book

Mindblowing good !!!
Abe Hanara
May 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
essential read to discover how 'naturally narrow' our thinking tends to be, and how the real effort in productive and succesful thinking can be made and how to do it. A real eye opener. I was struck with how limiting my thinking was upon reading this book ...more
Simon
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This revolutionized my understanding of the way the mind works and the way that different modes or ways of thinking shape our understanding of the world around us.
John Hearn
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading and rereading this book for over 20 years. Looking back it's clear that it has formed a part of how I behave. I guess in that sense it has literally changed my life.

It uses elements of neurology together with what we would now call non-linear and complex thinking to model the way we as humans perceive the world and hence the way we react to the world. Why we're pulled towards biased and siloed viewpoints with the same polemical and confrontational patterns. More importantly it
Mohammed Al Muqbel
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book went above and beyond my expectations .. When I first read the comments on the front and back covers, it gave me a sense that it is just another self-help book that offers spoon-fed advise on how to deal with your day to day struggles without any real learning or new information.

The author fully explains how the human brain works through the self-organizing information system model. He goes into explaining logic, perception, humor, catchment, patterns, creativity and many aspects of hu
Holstein
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Edward de Bono's discussions on lateral thinking are very clearly set out and easy to read. He uses analogies and anecdotes that help the reader think about how to think.

p.s. These kinds of "old-school" development books are usually available very cheaply at book fairs and second-hand stores - I got this copy for $1 at the Lifeline Bookfair.
Ghani
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Menna Shaban
Jul 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
I didn't finish it as I didn't like the way it's written . Nothing attracted me to go through it . ...more
AAMIR JAVED
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nice book
Greg Robinson
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
from one of the great thinkers of our time; diverse set of principles and observations; engaging for anyone prepared to think, to prop and to reflect
Ivona Poyntz
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Quite apart from the fact that this author is a shameless name dropper (and mostly re himself), yea, he challenges Western empirical thought but does not, in any way shape of form propose a new 'methodology' of thinking. Thats not to say I don't condone the arm chair critic, but at the end of the day, unless you can show the way forward, then don't storm the castle. It will just phoenix. De Bono's main point (although he'd probably disagree) is that the only way to break from classical 'table-to ...more
Nick
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating study on human brain function. Edward De Bono makes great use of metaphor to explain how the brain works. Not a sorting and counting table but a pile of sand with water dripping. Octopuses on a beach with helicopters overhead shining lights. Years after reading I Am Right, You Are Wrong, the mental images created by De Bono endure.

If you ever wonder why people on the one hand are capable of thinking so creatively, and on the other hand can so easily delude themselves, this is the b
Petter Wolff
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Difficult to rate, or classify. But maybe that's the point, right? I like the ideas but I'm not too fond of the way they're presented. It's too unstructured (yeah!), like a brain dump sometimes. I read a Swedish translation, which was not very good, but I'm happy to have been able to find the book at all (thanks Jens!) considering its out of print status.
Rather than a re-read, I'd like to find another author that develops de Bono's ideas, which are definitely worthwhile and possibly even great s
Daniel Tolson
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doing business differently

I have studied the work of #debono for over ten years and I am coming back to this book again for the second time. I feel that with this style of thinking I can build a better business.

In my opinion this book had a deeper impact the second time through. I shouldn’t have waited another ten years.

Buy this book today!

#winsalesnow
Nikish Chanekar
Feb 06, 2010 rated it liked it
i just this book from central state library..its title is what got me attracted to it..i am barely acquainted with what debono has to say about thinking processs.. his opinions are interesting and encoraging and offer lot of hope..
Ashish Sharma
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
very nice read...it was eye-opener about how thinking is less emphasized on than it should be...plus how you can think better...it started by how the neural networks work...and went on to become more and more interesting
Suzanne Hazelton
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
A great analogy of how the brain works (self organising networks), a useful description of the ineffectiveness of "argument" and "critical thinking" for making progress. I found some of the book quite heavy going ...more
Tazar Oo
Interesting about perception!
Ones who love to know how our brain operate the process of thinking need to read this book.
Paul Gibson
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this as I finished the first draft of Wisdom's Hiding Place. We seem to be on the same page. ...more
B
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a re-read. It's still relevant.
Ashok
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
very nice read...it was eye-opener
Miguel A
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book about brain models and ways of thinking. A musthaveread for everyone looking for the truth about life, people and Universe
Mike Tobin
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Aletheia
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology, mind
Some great ideas here, but I did end up skipping through large sections of the book as it did tend to be a dry read in some places.
Vicktorius Fox
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's half theory half practical,I recommend it for people who want to,redisign or add another way of thinking in their day to day life,work and so on. ...more

• Flow
  • What Uncle Sam Really Wants
  • On Bullshit
  • Secrets, Lies and Democracy
  • The Bombers and the Bombed: Allied Air War Over Europe 1940-1945
  • How the World Works
  • Data and Reality
  • The Luftwaffe War Diaries: The German Air Force in World War II
  • The Brain that Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science
  • Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence
  • The Relaxation Response
  • The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully
  • Herman Classics: Volume 2
  • 50 Spiritual Classics: Timeless Wisdom From 50 Great Books of Inner Discovery, Enlightenment and Purpose
  • 50 Self-Help Classics: 50 Inspirational Books to Transform Your Life from Timeless Sages to Contemporary Gurus
  • 50 Philosophy Classics: Thinking, Being, Acting, Seeing: Profound Insights and Powerful Thinking from Fifty Key Books
  • The PreHistory of The Far Side: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit
  • A Million Little Pieces of Close to Home: A Close to Home Collection
Edward de Bono is a Maltese physician, author, inventor, and consultant. He is best known as the originator of the term lateral thinking (structured creativity) and the leading proponent of the deliberate teaching of thinking in schools.