Start by marking “Travellers' Rest (Morlock Ambosius, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Travellers' Rest (Morlock Ambosius, #0.5)

Travellers' Rest

(Morlock Ambrosius 0.5)

The story you are about to read features James Enge’s wondrous character, Morlock Ambrosius. Morlock is a swordsman, an exile, a hunchback, a drunk, and a wizard, though he himself would use the term “Maker” and say he is a master of the two arts, Seeing and Making.

James Enge’s tales of Morlock the Maker have appeared in Black Gate magazine, in the anthology Swords &
Published December 3rd 2010 by Pyr

To ask other readers questions about Travellers' Rest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Travellers' Rest

Start your review of Travellers' Rest (Morlock Ambosius, #0.5)
Neil
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a short story involving the wizard Morlock Ambrosius and his Dwarf apprentice Wyrth. As they travel on foot they arrive at a village which harbours a secret.Morlock seems reluctant to get involved,until his lunch is disturbed.
I had just started to enjoy the read when suddenly it was all over. Although, I have to admit that this is now another author whose works I shall keep an eye out for. An entertaining read, but unfortunately far too short.
Ixris
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an -extremely- short story, and it was free, so there you go. :) Don't think it counts as a book, but here it is, on GoodReads. :)

Anyway, Enge is compared - in the introduction to the piece - with Lovecraft and Leiber. I've never read Lovecraft, but I absolutely adore Leiber. His Fafhrd and Mouser stories built a whole extra limb for the fantasy genre to stand on (and frankly, it's my favorite limb...) with stories of gritty heroes and loose women and strange masters demandin
Robin
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read, but... short. It's a short story, so I suppose that should be expected! As short stories often do, this one left me wanting more. I enjoyed Enge's voice and writing style, in spite of a strange attachment to the word "inveigle" and a habit of doubling up on the adjectives (a minor distraction). The character of Morlock Ambrosius is observed through the eyes of his dwarvish apprentice, who has a fine knack for sarcastic humor. I'd have liked to see what magic Morlock could do ...more
Phil
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This sword & sorcery story plays out almost like a spaghetti western, with the moody wizard-swordsman Morlock Ambrosius and his dwarfish companion happening on a tiny hamlet with a dark secret. Both the characters and story remind me a great deal of Michael Moorcock's Elric stories, sharing driven, melancholy characters, a tense atmosphere, and weird events. This free Kindle novella was released by James Enge's publisher Pyr to introduce readers to his Morlock Ambrosious series, and it certa ...more
Traci
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
As a fan of good old fashioned pulp and sword and sorcery I have found only a few authors who can even come close to this style that I enjoy. This short story makes me think I may have found another. Fritz Leiber with a dash of Lovecraft.
Carlyle Clark
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This free novelette accomplished its goal of enticing me into wanting to read Enge's Morlock novels. (In fact, since I reviewed this on Amazon, I have read read two out of the three ((Reviews soon!)) and will definitely read the third)

TRAVELLER'S REST covers an adventure of by he enigmatic and infamous Morlock Ambrosius and his amusing sidekick Wyrth. The story is well-told, humorous, and clever enough to bring more than a bit of fun to the archetypical Sherlock Holmes/Dr. Watson pai
Catherine
This is the very 1st free e-book I downloaded onto my kindle app on my phone. Thus only reading when I had to wait for one one or something & not having a "real" book with me. Got distracted by other free books & forgot to finish this one. Can't remember how I was actually feeling about this one. Liked or disliked? Even though I do remember what is going on. & now read the review again I intend to finish this book & get it off my 'currently reading' list. Either that or move it t ...more
R.A. Danger
Morlock Ambrosius and his apprentice Wyrth travel to a town only to find out that the people are disappearing. Morlock doesn’t get involve until his lunch is disturbed.
The story was short (an hour) and to the point. A strange little story (the cows? That is.) and some other things. Let just say that Morlock is a different type of hero or “maker” as he calls his title. It’s hard to tell with Morlock if he stops the villain because of lunch, Wyrth or a little but of both.
I fun it funny that t
Rick
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
this was one of those "single" Kindle books that is currently free for the downloading. To about 20 minutes or so to read, but it was pretty good. Definitely for the fantasy loving reader.......those that like Lord of the Rings types of stuff. I enjoyed it and will now look at his three other regular length books in this series. The series features a very interesting anti-hero and his dwarf apprentice. The dwarf seems to be the voice of reason but the "Maker" or magician makes a very good main c ...more
Christine
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Travellers' Rest is a short story about Morlock, a wizard, who is travelling on foot with his companion, Wryth. They come upon a small town and Morlock is eager to eat and rest, but Wryth wants to go on to the next town, as he doesn't like the look of it. There are bugs as big as cattle grazing in the fields for one thing. Morlock refuses to be influenced by Wryth's comments and carries on walking right into the town. Wryth is too scared to do anything else but follow him ...
This short sto
Melissa
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'll admit it, I downloaded this because it was free. I really don't read many short stories because they're...well, short. Just as I was starting to get into the story, POOF! it was over. And I was left going "Seriously, that's it?" Morlock and Wyrth are interesting and like-able characters. The story itself is fun and there's a bit of humor which I quite liked. I give it 3 stars, not because it's bad, but just because I'm still a bit peeved that it was so short! lol I think I'll probably have ...more
John Cress
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off this is more of a short story then a book. It is basically a good guy beats bad guy story set in the fantasy world. I felt the action scenes were well written and kept me turning pages rapidly. It reminded me a bit of RA Salvatore and his Drizzt character. There was also some humor mixed in which adds to the enjoyment. I'm sure at some point that I'll dive into the series. This was a freebie so I had reasonable expectations but it was a very pleasant surprise.
Kyle
Dec 14, 2010 rated it liked it
In this short story we meet Morlock Ambrosius, who appears to be an interesting character; although there wasn't much time spent on developing who he is, and why he is so feared.

The story is set in a fantasy land where swords and magic are in play, and the villain is a twisted character doing all sorts of strange experiments on the local villagers.

I thought the ending was very predictable, but I guess I can't complain since it was a free story I downloaded recently from Amazon.

Vicky
Travellers' Rest was a free short I downloaded for my Nook. In only 29 pages it tries to introduce you to Morlock Ambrosius and recount one of his adventures, he seems like he could be an interesting character, but the novelette didn't do much to draw me into the rest of the series (which may or may not have been part of the intent of the story anyway).

I may revisit Enge at some point, but not until I've made more of a dent in my current to-read list.
John
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to the world of Morlock Ambrosius, hunchback, drunk, warrior and wizard. Excellent characterizations, with SO much shown simply through dialogue. Magic and mayhem well worth reading.
J. Ewbank
Feb 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: a-good-read, novel
This little book is kind of interesting. It is not quite a horror story, it is more a short story. It is interesting and enjoyable to read.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the'Isms'"
Rick Davis
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was much better than I expected given some of the reviews. It's pure pulp-fantasy of course so don't go in looking for the next Tolkien or anything like that. I would say Enge is on par with someone like Robert Jordan. This was a fun, short novella.
Scott Waisner
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Had never heard of this character or this author before picking up Traveler's Rest. If nothing else, it was definitely enjoyable enough to pick up Blood Of Ambrose. A good story in it's own right, and a great intro to the other stories by Mr. Enge
Ros
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I can see why it could be compared to the writings of David Eddings, but for me it tried too hard to make the monsters disgusting. I shall not be reading future books in the series. A short story to make up the numbers in my 2011 challenge.
Reading, Writing & WTF Am I Doing?
I liked it. I'll look up more by this author, because this was so short it's hard to get a feel for the characters. But, even being so short I was drawn in and enjoyed the story! The main characters were really likable, in a seemingly good at heart even if not nice kind of way.
Karen Highland
Dec 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Colorful characters. Witty and enjoyable.
Beth
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable short story with an unusual hero.
Justin
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
A well written short story, but really nothing here to get excited about. I was hoping it would engage me to pick up an Enge novel. It did not.
Christopher Hernandez

A short read that may have me looking at other books with the Morlock character
Owen
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
enjoyable short story
Freda Mans-Labianca
For an action-packed, exciting adventure all in a short story, this is a good pick! Fast and fun, you will really enjoy this quick read!
Mike
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Another Kindle freebie - I'm not quite sure what the point of this was, but it wasn't quite interesting enough for me to follow with one of James Enge's full novels
Brian
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a fun short book. I think I will read another book about Morlock's adventures.
Dearg Glas
A good-humored, entertaining sword-and-sorcery novelette. I plan on reading more Morlock stories...
Chris The Story Reading Ape
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-reviewed
Grimm Brothers meet JRR Tolkien characters but an easy read Free from Nook & Kindle libraries
Sword & Sorcery: ...: [Bargain] A short tale of Morlock Ambrosius 9 23 Mar 08, 2013 10:10AM

• Origin Scroll (Targa Trilogy, Book 1)
  • The Gateway (The Harbinger of Doom Saga, #1 novella length)
  • A Turn of Curses
  • The Hand of Andulain
  • The Walled Garden
  • Victoria Gardella: Vampire Slayer (The Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #1.5)
  • I Witch
  • Immortal (Clare Point, #3)
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • Unicorn Bait (Unicorn Bait #1)
  • Saying Goodbye to the Sun
  • Fresh Blood
  • When Graveyards Yawn (Apocalypse Trilogy #1)
  • Hidden by Blood (Sweetblood, #1.5)
  • The Unsuspecting Mage (The Morcyth Saga, #1)
  • Sanctum's Breach (Delver Magic, #1)
  • Shatter (The Children of Man, #1)
  • Shadow's Embrace (Wolf’s Heritage, #5)
James Enge lives in northwest Ohio with his wife and two crime-fighting, emotionally fragile dogs. He teaches Latin, Greek and classical civilization at a medium-sized public university. His stories (frequently featuring Morlock Ambrosius) have appeared in Black Gate , at Every Day Fiction , in the Stabby-Award-winning Blackguards and elsewhere. His first novel, Blood of Ambrose was nominated for the World Fantasy Award in 2010 a ...more

Morlock Ambrosius (3 books)
  • Blood of Ambrose (Morlock Ambrosius, #1)
  • This Crooked Way (Morlock Ambrosius, #2)
  • The Wolf Age (Morlock Ambrosius, #3)