Start by marking “My Dead Dad Was in ZZ Top: 100% Real*, Never-Before-Seen Documents from the World of Rock and Roll” as Want to Read:

An irreverent and ridiculous collection of "found" documents that will change everything you thought you knew about rock and roll, by the creator and star of Adult Swim's Delocated

Jon Glaser delves into the unknown and highly secretive histories of dozens of rock and roll's greatest bands with sometimes spectacular, sometimes heartbreaking, always completely made-up result
Published February 8th 2011 by Harper Perennial (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My Dead Dad Was in ZZ Top, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dead Dad Was in ZZ Top

Edwina
Dec 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Tramps like us, baby we were born to brunch.
Mary (BookHounds)
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
LOVED IT -- THIS BOOK ROCKED!

I think this book is what happens when you mix a rock nerd with some photoshop skills, some old paper and the ability to think in the absurd. The "lost" lyrics are spectacular and I have a feeling that they probably could have been the actual lyrics in some cases. My all time favorite is the letter from Ringo telling his mates that he is starting a Beatles Tribute band, which is something that isn't really so far from the truth with his All Starr Band. This is one of
Jessi
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm going to preface this review by saying that I change words to songs to make them about my cats. I think it's silly and fun, but I don't expect anybody else to think the same or to sing them with me.

This book does try hard to be funny, but a lot of it felt like some kind of "inside joke" that the reader isn't let in on. Some of it got a snort from me, some of it got a smirk, but none of it really made me laugh. I like funny. I like the absurd and silly. I read The Onion. This book just isn't
Jack Silbert
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Jon Glaser. Delocated? De-larious! Oh wait that's not a word. And a forward by Ira Kaplan of Yo La Tengo? There was no way I was not reading this book. I think I paid full price for it when it came out!

Eh.

Delocated is 11 minutes long and maybe, just maybe, Glaser is best in small doses. Some pieces included here are very funny, and would've worked nicely as stand-alones in a magazine. Perhaps if I just read one or two a day....

But I didn't. Because it's a pretty skimpy book, and a very qu
Dann
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Very silly, very funny.
Court Hansen
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
The original ZZ Top bit was so good, but it gets less and less good when it's the same thing over and over again. Still, there was usually some pretty funny stuff throughout.
Tim
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
Although many may consider it a less important symbol than the dollar sign, never underestimate the power of the asterisk. Jon Glaser certainly doesn't.

After being estranged for years, Glaser was going through his father's belongings following his death when he stumbled across rock and roll history.* He learned his father was a member of an early incarnation of ZZ Top.* The senior Glaser didn't make a mark on the music world, though, because he was the keyboard player who urged the band abandon
Jennifer Rayment
Mar 19, 2011 rated it liked it
The Good Stuff

* Truly unique, I can honestly say I have never read anything quite like this before
* You will snort out loud at times - obviously still have not learned to read stuff like this on public transit
* Prince's set list for Spielberg's daughters bat mitzvah is hilarious
* The reason behind the naming of the Butthole surfers will make you snort coffee out your nose -- trust me DO NOT read this bit in public
* The before they made it section is funny
* Quick short read when you are loo
Terri
Jan 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The book “MY Dead Dad Was in ZZ Top” is a hilarious romp through super-secret documents of some of the world's most famous musical acts. Although the 100% Real* (*100% Fake) guarantee is prominently displayed on the cover, throughout the book the author keeps letting you know that the truth, as printed in this book, is really, really the truth.

This book sends the reader on a roller coaster of emotions. If you don't know who the band is or really just don't like that particular band, you'll thin
Sara Habein
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a funny, quick-read book that probably does better with readers who are familiar with the musicians referenced throughout. One does not need in-depth knowledge, but having spent time listening to both classic rock radio and the first incarnation of MTV’s 120 Minutes certainly helps. There are not a lot of music books that reference Yo La Tengo, Bob Seger, Fleetwood Mac, and The Butthole Surfers within such a short collection of pages.

Glaser’s previous writing credits include Late Night w
Matthew
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book - super funny, super fast read. The details in all of these 100% REAL documents are spot-on and the jokes nail it for rock music fans. Highlights include the Secret Sellout section with legendary icons shilling for corporate gigs (David Bowie's "Changes" re-imagined as "Chang's Grill," "Aqualung" transformed into "Vick's Vaporub") and the 100% REAL and documented story behind the naming of the Butthole Surfers. Spoiler alert: Gibby Haynes's dad was a Navy SEAL who died on a secret m ...more
Travis
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Comedians I love keep writing books I don't care for. :( Jon Glaser is amazingly funny. Just not here. Then again, I don't know anything about rock history, so some of this surely went over my head. Also, do not buy this on an e-reader unless it's a full-color e-reader capable of properly displaying images. I bought it on my black-and-white Nook, and it was useless. Had to read it on my computer. Which is a miserable experience.
stormhawk
I must first make it clear that I have not merely a sense of humor, but a finely honed sense of humor. From the subtle to the slapstick, I savor funny things. This book is not funny. It tries, but fails miserably, like when your drunk uncle tries to tell a joke. I found this as a cast-off on the mail room table, and that's right back where it's going. with a note of warning attached.
Jim
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Kind of a mixed bag. Some of the "found documents" are laugh out loud funny, others stretch jokes too far.
It's a quick read though (you can get through the whole thing in about 2 hours), and I'd recommend it to fans of Glaser's Adult Swim series "Delocated" and "Late Night with Conan O'Brien (Glaser was on the writing staff).
Denise
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I won this book from GOODREADS- I give them (and the author/publisher) much thanks!

Jon Glaser is one funny guy. "My Dead Dad Was in ZZ Top" is written with much wit and humor. Anyone who is a fan of rock & roll will enjoy this book and learn a few things they never knew about their favorite bands! A sucker really IS born every day.
Dave
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was really funny as most things from Jon Glaser are. He's great at the anti-comedy of taking a stupid concept so far that it becomes funny again. The Rolling Stones & Butthole Surfer revelations made me laugh out loud. The story that the title if from is on the "Invite Them Up!" box set is amazing.
Tasha
May 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: won-in-a-contest
I received an ARC of this book back in 2011, in exchange for an honest review. I had trouble following it, mostly because I had issue with the fact that the book is 100% fake while claiming to also be 100% real--what that really amounts to is a bunch of nonsensical stuff this guy made up, and then if that's the case, I don't know why I need to read it. Didn't finish.
Peter
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Funny stuff. My favorite "document" in the book was the band name ideas for Ringo's post-Beatles tribute band: "The Paperback Rockers", "Twisty And The Shouters". Music fans should get a few good giggles out of this.
John
A nice, quick re-read. TT Zop forever.
Katie
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Extremely silly.
Coco Goupil
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a joy to read; however, it was slightly disappointing to to discover that the asterisk in the title was pointing out that the book is infact 100% false -- but nonetheless it was great!
Sue Constantine
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Really laughed at some parts of this book. Highlights include Jay Leno's letter to Rob Thomas and The Who tour rider. I don't know much about music and still felt like I got it.
Mitch
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Fast but not that funny. Made me chuckle a few times but there wasn't much I wanted to share with people. Title is probably the best part. Skip it or not at least its a small investment of time.
Timb
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
the best way i can sum up this dumbass book is by saying that it is a book for cory clifford. i love john glaser.
Phil Overeem
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
If the execution is as good as the concept, this is gonna be a laff riot!
Nathan Mahlberg
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love ROCK man. And I love fake document books. So this book really worked for me.
Lawrence A
Feb 25, 2011
Michael
Jan 14, 2019
GrantyO
Jul 19, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Mindsploitation: Asinine Assignments for the Online Homework Cheating Industry
  • Stuntman!: My Car-Crashing, Plane-Jumping, Bone-Breaking, Death-Defying Hollywood Life
  • Little Billy's Letters: An Incorrigible Inner Child's Correspondence with the Famous, Infamous, and Just Plain Bewildered
  • The Big Bento Box of Unuseless Japanese Inventions
  • Daddy's Boy: A Son's Shocking Account of Life with a Famous Father
  • Vice DOs & DON'Ts: 10 Years of Vice Magazine's Street Fashion Critiques
  • Mr. Funny Pants
  • The Most Of S.J.Perelman
  • Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Writers and Artists Who Made the National Lampoon Insanely Great
  • Tiny Acts of Rebellion: 97 Almost-Legal Ways to Stick It to the Man
  • Shameless: How I Ditched the Diet, Got Naked, Found True Pleasure...and Somehow Got Home in Time To Cook Dinner
  • A Load of Hooey
  • Use Your Words: A Writing Guide for Mothers
  • That's Not Funny, That's Sick: The National Lampoon and the Comedy Insurgents Who Captured the Mainstream
  • How Sweet It is