Start by marking “The Children of Noisy Village” as Want to Read:
The Children of Noisy Village

The Children of Noisy Village

(Barnen i Bullerbyn #1)

Lisa lives in a tiny place called Noisy Village with all her friends, and with so many children living there, it's a very noisy place indeed! Join the children on a riotous adventure as they explore the great outdoors and get up to plenty of mischief, in this gently humorous story collection by much-loved author, Astrid Lindgren.
Published October 1st 1962 by Viking Children's Books (first published 1946)

Start your review of The Children of Noisy Village
Evgeny
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I can say that I had a happy childhood. Not perfect, but happy. One of the reasons for this (a minor reason, but still) was that my parents bought me this book. The story is simple: once upon a time there was a tiny Swedish village called Bullerby (Noisy) consisting of three houses.
Village
In one house lived the heroine called Lisa with two brothers, in another house there lived two sisters, and in the last one there was a boy. From my understanding the difference between the oldest of the six kids and
Julie
Astrid Lindgren had a penchant for married men and story-telling, and I would have pushed people out of my way to get closer to her at a dinner party.

Ms. Lindgren's writing always pulls you in and tells you who's boss, even if it hides behind an illustrated cover and looks like it was meant for kids.

And, let me tell you, if my kids had lost interest this week in this “kids' read” The Children of Noisy Village (they didn't), I would have continued reading it on my own. Absolutely.

In fact, when my
Ivonne Rovira
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of all ages
Save this book in the Audible format until you’re sick, deathly sick. Especially if you’re separated from your mother — either by distance or death — so that she is not available to feed you homemade soup, tuck you into bed, and otherwise coddle you and read you a story. The Children of Noisy Village makes a nice substitute when you’re ailing.

The six children of Noisy Village — 9-year-old Lisa; her mischievous older brothers, Karl and Bill; and neighbors Anna, Britta, and Olaf — don’t live in an
Manybooks
Indeed and truly, the Noisy Village series (actually the German language translations of Astrid Lindgren's original Swedish text, and where the hamlet is known as Bullerbü) was one of my absolute favourites when I was a little girl (and I must have read all three books at least ten times, and that is at best a rather conservative estimate). And at that age (from about the age of seven to ten) I just felt and knew on a purely emotional and personal level that I absolutely adored the sweet and enc ...more
Hilary
I loved this account of day to day Swedish life. Asrid Lindgren captures perfectly the relationship between friends and the rivalry between brother and sister. We loved the details of games played, dens built and festivals celebrated. We really didn't like Tony Ross's illustrations, their modern style just didn't suit the traditional nature of the stories.

We love Bullerby, we would happily move there tomorrow and if that wasn't possible would happily read this book again and imagine!
Manybooks
The Noisy Village series (well actually, the German language translation of Astrid Lindgren's original Swedish text, and where the hamlet is known as Bullerbü) was one of my absolute favourites when I was a little girl (I must have read all three books at least ten times, and that is a conservative estimate). At that age (from about age six to age nine or ten) I just felt and knew on a purely emotional and personal level that I absolutely adored the sweet and enchanting episodical nuggets of car ...more
Cindi
Sheer delight. Seriously. I'm not sure when I've read a children's book that was so delightful. I found this book in "A Landscape with Dragons." The author called it the Little House on the Prairie of Sweden.

I had to keep stopping to read sections to whoever in my family would listen to me. See for yourself:

Mommy says she can't understand why it takes more than twice as long to walk home as it does to walk to school. I don't understand it either. But it just can't be helped.

As we were walking al
Lucie Novak
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite children book series of all those books I ever read, if I have grand children, I must get it for them. Lives of 6 children in a tiny hamlet in Sweden, in Czech with beautiful illustrations of a Czech artist Zmatlikova, I read those books again and again.
Jessica
I had never read this book before, in fact: I'd never heard of it until a few months ago. It's a sweet little book, about the lives of a group of children who live on three neighboring farms. It's written in a very simple style, ostensibly by one of the children, Lisa, who describes different traditions and aspects of their life. This would be a great first chapter book. It's 123 pages, with illustrations in each short chapter.
Jaimie Franchi
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My six year old and I are having fun with this one so far.

Update: As a read-aloud, it's probably three stars, but I think for an eight year old reading it to herself, it would be a four. From a parent's perspective, it's full of wholesome fun and adventures. I did enjoy reading about the Swedish holiday traditions.
Katy Noyes
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
100 pages of nostalgia from the author of Pippi Lockstocking. The children of Noisy Village are six children living on three adjacent farms in a hamlet in Sweden.

One of them narrates these short tales from their year - from making maps and caves in the hayloft in the summer to struggling through miles of snow to get home at Christmas.

The boys and girls are fairly typical - they like adventures and playing pretend, picking strawberries, dressing up, sometimes they prefer to play apart, but they
Catherine
When I first brought this book home from the library (based entirely on GR reviews), my 6-year-old son said it looked "lame." However...after I persisted in reading the first few chapters, he was completely won over. This is the charming story of a year in Noisy Village (really just a cluster of three small farms), in long ago Sweden. 1920s? They travel by foot or occasionally horse-drawn sled, but I think there might be mention of a truck. The Children of the title are three girls and three boy ...more
Dita
Jul 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bestread, favorites
Bullerbyn kids series were the books I really fond of when I was a little kido. And the memories never fade away. I read this thousand times and will remember the laughters. All of the kids are cheerful, smart, witty, caring, adventurous and humble at once.
Anna
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-in-2009
This is as lovely as I remember it being. A cute, light-hearted bunch of stories about kids growing up in Sweden. My mom used to read the Polish version to me when I was a kid. Definitely something I could see myself reading to my future children.
Issac
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
eh it was alright
Luisa Knight
Cleanliness

Children's Bad Words
Mild Obscenities & Substitutions - 1 Incident: d*rned
Name Calling - 7 Incidents: draggletail, impossible brats, stupid, brat, tattletale, stupid
Religious Profanity - 2 Incidents: My goodness, thank goodness

Religious & Supernatural - None
Violence - None

Romance Related - 1 Incident: Siblings tease, chanting, "Boyfriend and girlfriend." (no one is dating)

Attitudes/Disobedience - 2 Incidents: When her brothers don't want her playing with them, the older brother will ho
Pam
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mommy-s-shelf
This book was excellent and confirms what I thought after I read Ronia the Robber's Daughter...which is that Astrid Lindgren is a wonderful author. The language in this book is totally different than in that book, because this book is told in the voice of the little girl, Lisa, who is the main character. The words are simple, but meaningful and capture her experiences just right! In Ronia, the story is told in the 3rd person and uses a different, more adult style of writing that worked beautiful ...more
Colette
As a child, this book was a favorite after discovering it in 3rd grade. I discovered it again, years later, in the English language section of a bookshop in Stuttgart, Germany. Now, I'm pleased to find it again in yet another phase of life. When rereading childhood favorites, I'm always a bit nervous that they won't hold up. I was not disappointed. The Children of Noisy Village is just as delightful and happily nostalgic as it always was. I'm happy to have found it again at the library (the shod ...more
Kerstin
Absolutely delightful!
Davina
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading wholesome Astrid Lindgren books together with my two young boys feels like a major parenting win. This esteemed author holds a special place in my heart because of her Pippi Longstocking books and Mio, My Son which were childhood favorites of mine. I was delighted to discover The Children of Noisy Village and the sequel, Happy Times in Noisy Village and am happy to say that they did not disappoint. Lately, on road trips with my two and six year old, they're just as happy to have me read ...more
Daniel and Rebekah Eikum
I read this with Gwen (6yo) and it was pure fun! It's about a girl, Lisa, who lives in a little farm town in Sweden. She has many adventures with her friends. I liked learning about the Swedish holiday celebrations. Seeing them through Lisa's eyes was sweet and Gwen could totally relate. I laughed so hard at the chapter about "helping people."
Melissa McAlvey
I am probably rating this one more for me than Norah. I have always adored Pippi Longstocking, but hadn't read this one before. not as many pictures as Captain Underpants, but it still held her interest enough to be a good read aloud while she colored or ate lunch, etc. It helped that two characters are named Anna and Olaf. ;)

I thought it was a sweet read that reminded me of the Little House books
A Severs
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing short stories providing an insight into the life of children in rural Sweden at some point in the past. Lots of launchpads for further exploration into Swedish traditions. Great for year 3 children - I'll be recommending it to my 7 year old!
Emma M.
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a cute, fun read aloud. I love that each chapter is essentially a short story with the same characters and setting. I think that helped the kids enjoy it that much more.
Toby Chapman
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Great /good 👍
Rachel
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, short read aloud with my girls.
Guilherme Semionato
Very soothing, so much lovelier (and, bless this, quieter) than the exhausting PIPPI series. I read the 2014 Oxford University Press edition, apparently the translation is faithful to the original.
Eric Hinkle
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a charming book. I wish I had grown up in Noisy Village instead of the boring suburbs. I would've been a different person, I do believe!

A true classic.
Lena
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, kid-lit
I first read this book when I was 9, maybe 10. I adored it a lot and I was sad I lost my copy over the years. I got a copy (in English this time) recently and as I re-read the book, it was just as magical as the first time. Definite childhood favourite!
Rebecca Brothers
I think most Americans meet Lindgren through Pippi Longstocking. I met her through Volvo. My dad was a Volvo mechanic for decades. He got to travel to Sweden several times because he won a prestigious award from the company many times. We called it the Volvo Olympics. He toured the factory, drove the latest cars, ate dinner at the same place where they give out the Nobel Peace prizes. You know, shop stuff. He brought me lovely souvenirs over the years. The red folk art horse, exotic t-shirts, th ...more

• Die rote Zora und ihre Bande
  • Pancakes for Findus
  • Astrid Lindgren 'Ronja Räubertochter'
  • Sticks Across the Chimney: A Story of Denmark
  • Romeo i Julia
  • Pejsek a kočička
  • Tales of Robin Hood
  • Karolcia
  • Fimfárum
  • The Nerviest Girl in the World
  • Honzíkova cesta
  • O psie, który jeździł koleją
  • The Teutonic Knights
  • Karius und Baktus
  • The Little Ghost
  • Kõrboja peremees
  • Awantura o Basię
  • Der Räuber Hotzenplotz (Hotzenplotz, #1)
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, (1907 - 2002) was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 165 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.

Awards:
Hans Christian A

Barnen i Bullerbyn (6 books)
  • Happy Times in Noisy Village