Start by marking “Atheism Remix” as Want to Read:
Atheism Remix

Atheism Remix

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  245 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
In 2007 Hitchens wrote his book entitled God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons
Everything.23 In the book he speaks of his own Anglican boyhood, ...
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Atheism Remix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atheism Remix

Brian
This short book (108 pages) is an informative guide to the challenge of the New Atheists and their challenge to Christian theism. Mohler targets the "four horsemen of the New Atheism" - Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennet, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens.

Chapter one briefly surveys the history of atheism and situates the new atheism within secularism.

Chapter two is the most helpful chapter of the book; it discusses New Atheism's assault on Theism by giving thumbnail sketches of the "four horseme
Adam Smith
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Analysis

This book captures the W.H. Griffith Thomas Lectures Albert Mohler delivered in 2008 at Dallas Theological Seminary. There are four lectures recorded in this volume:

1. The New Atheism and the Endgame of Secularism
2. The New Atheism and the Assault on Theism
3. The New Atheism and the Defense of Theism
4. The New Atheism and the Future of Christianity

In the first lecture, Mohler takes stock of the modern scene. He summarizes the current cultural influence of the New Atheists; he then compar
HaameD
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apologetics
while I'm pleased with absence of vulgarity - which I don't mind it's presence really as I like polemics- but much of this book was commentary and analysis of the new atheists; this can be good for someone who's not really familiar with new atheists but not for someone like me. I was eager to read a good criticism. there is as always false associations in these kinds of books like communism and Atheism ... anyway Plantinga and Mcgrath are like acids on my last nerves. They assume waaaaaaaaaaay t ...more
Libby
While this book doesn't go in depth with New Atheism from a Christian perspective, I think it's a rather good introduction for readers who may not be too familiar with the arguments and beliefs of prominent NAs and Christian theologians mentioned in the book. It has actually encouraged me to become more informed on the works of these figures (and others who weren't named) as well as our society's shifting attitude towards religion, namely Christianity.
Jeff Holton
Atheism has been around for centuries, but there is a new atheism that has been emerging within the past decade and it is becoming more and more prevalent in these Post Modern days. Mohler writes in his newest book Atheism Remix, “Atheists have represented only a small minority of Americans. Surveys estimate that atheists represent 2 percent of the population.” He continues, “The New Atheism is not just a reassertion of atheism. It is a movement that represents a far greater public challenge to ...more
Jimmy
Jul 23, 2011 added it
For those who have been reading much of the New Atheist's work or have been keeping abreast with Christian apologetics (defense of the faith), this work will offer nothing new. However, this work by Southern Seminary President Al Mohler is a good introduction to what the New Atheists are about. Mohler argues that what makes New Atheism different than atheists of old is that they generally have a sense of celebration when it comes to God's nonexistence whereas old school atheists typically experi ...more
Ben Adkison
I picked up a used copy of Atheism Remix for $5 at McKay's Used Books, CD's, Movies, and More in Nashville. If you've never been to McKay's, you're missing out. There is an incredible amount of good media at McKay's, and inventory changes often. Anyway, I'd been eyeing Atheism Remix for a while now in Lifeway, so when I saw I cheap used copy, I jumped on it.

This is a brief (108 pages), but effective book about the "New Atheism" movement. New Atheism is different from older forms of atheism in it
Zack Migioia
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Atheism Remix extremely helpful and informative in understanding the new face of atheism in the world today. Mohler gives a historical understanding and overview of atheism and talks extensively about four prominent, new faces of what he calls the "New Atheism." The book is very interesting and covers the challenges that atheism presents to Christianity.

Mohler introduces and evaluates all four of the four horseman of the "New Atheism." The four atheist that are reviewed and introduced a
Michael Locklear
As many (if not, all) of Dr. Mohler's book, this small book - based upon the W. H. Griffith Thomas Lectures delivered at Dallas Theological Seminary in 2008 - is an informative and worthwhile read. He presents the New Atheism movement and our response as believers in Christ.
Dr. Mohler concludes with these remarks:
In the end, evangelical Christians must remember that the burden of our concern is not merely to refute atheism or to argue for the intellectual credibility of theism in any generic
Todd Wilhelm
Oct 23, 2011 rated it liked it
"In the course of studying the relative levels of religious belief in the world's countries, sociologists determined that the least religious nation in the world was Sweden, while the most religious was India. Berger, speaking of the United States, said that what we have in America is a nation of Indians ruled over by an elite of Swedes. As Berger has explained, the secularized global intelligentsia is in all nations a minority of the population, "but a very influential one.""
-Page 35

"The credib
Peter Coleman
Definitely a solid intro into the new atheism. This books provides a jumping off point into the subject and will likely act to me as a complex annotated bibliography. If I needed to asses a particular topic, then I will likely turn to this book for his assessment and then use the information within to find where to go for further study.

What is also helpful is not just that he lays out which thinker thinks what, but also looks into the cultural conditions out of which the thinker arrived at his s
David Smith
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Al Mohler is probably my favorite Christian thinker of this age. I am extremely impressed with his ability to distinguish and discern what is right and what is wrong with any information with which he is presented. This is a short book, taken from a lecture series he gave at Dallas Theological Seminary in 2008, but it is packed with a great deal of information and thought-provoking propositions. If I had one criticism it might be that the reader would be enlightened a little more by his work if ...more
Ryan Thomas
Some good overview and analysis, but Mohler doesn't actually engage anyone, which was a major shortcoming of the book, especially given the subtitle and related calls within the book for bold formulations if biblical theism. Mohler does have good content throughout, and it woukd have served as a good introduction to a larger work. One major irritation I had was that he analyzes new atheist authors, their critics, and then critiques each of them, pointing out their short comings, but does not off ...more
Chase Austin
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Has our society or more specifically culture been transformed by a changed condition of belief in which for intellectuals it is now impossible to believe in God or any monotheistic religion? Dr. Mohler believes so and in this response to the "Four Horsemen of the New Atheist Apocalypse" -as Dawkins, Dennett, Harris and Hitchens have been christened, he counters their arguments through book publications and debates by critiquing what other theologians have said about these men and probably more
Timothy Bertolet
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short book with a helpful overview of the new proponents of atheism. It includes brief surveys of Richard Dawkins, Chistopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, and Daniel Dennett. It summarizes their work and discusses eight characteristics of the new atheism. It also summarizes some recent responses to Dawkins by Alistair McGrath and Alvin Plantinga. Finally, it shows the peril of comprimising our Christianity to try to appease the new athiests. This is a survey at is helpful at points. If you ar ...more
Lauren
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book offers a clear and concise overview of the argument between the modern atheist (New Atheists) and Christian (Intelligent Design) beliefs about the origins of this world and its inhabitants. Mohler writes a book that offers the main points of the New Atheists and refutes these points using the leading Intelligent Design counterpoints to give the reader a peak into the discussion. However, Mohler makes clear that he does not always agree with some of the leaders points within the Intelli ...more
Garrett
Apr 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had little to no expectations for this book, and so it was that my expectations were rewarded. This was not an "atheism remix," or even a categorical refutation of atheist thinking from a Christian perspective. This was really just 100 pages of talking points for fundamentalist Christians who think that engaging those atheists who slavishly devote themselves to everything Richard Dawkins says is still a good idea. It's eight years out of date and leans heavily on the crutches of semantics and ...more
Benjamin Glaser
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Good, short read from Dr. Mohler. Book is pretty much what you expect from anything Dr. Mohler writes, pithy, to the point, and well-sourced. I really liked the part where Dr. Mohler shows that Protestant Liberalism is just atheism in different clothes, using the words of the New Atheists to prove his point.

This book is a good intro to the "New Atheism", but I really wish there was a "for further reading" section in this book since it is so short and other than a few sentences here and there do
Eric
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book did a great job demonstrating what the New Atheism movement is, but it failed to really connect how this new movement relates to Christians. It went on several tangents about fairly specific people and topics to demonstrate a larger point. I understand that this book is essentially a lecture, but I think it could have been a quarter of the length and still give an effective survey of New Atheism.

Overall, it is a very short read. If you have the time, go for it. If not, well, you really
Kevin Summers
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
The subtitle to this book does not seem accurate. A more accurate subtitle would be something like: "An introduction for Christians to the new atheists and the need for a biblically theistic response."

Sample quote: "Theologians, including those who style themselves as evangelicals, who urge an accomodationist posture with modern secularism, present a prescription for theological disaster. The God who would be rendered acceptable to the secular age is a God who would bear no resemblance to the Go
Luis A R Branco
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lidos-em-2014
Um livro simples como se propôs a ser, visto ser a integra de uma apresentação oral de Albert Mohler Jr. no Dallas Theological Seminary. Eu penso que a importância desta pequena obra está no fato de Mohler identificar as correntes do neo-ateísmo como também sua indicação de Alvin Platinga como o mais proeminente filósofo dos nossos dias e sua graciosa capacidade de responder a altura qualquer dos cavaleiros do neo-ateísmo. Recomendo a leitura, em especial para seminaristas e pastores.
Mark A Powell
Unlike in previous generations, atheism has become quite marketable in this postmodern age. A slew of atheistic books have permeated bestseller lists, and Mohler has written this book to investigate and illuminate the claims of the “New Atheists.” Mohler adroitly summarizes the premises of modern-day atheists and also details varying responses to their claims, and while I would have preferred more of his own insight (and some additional pages), his work is typically skillful and helpful.
Simon
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apologetics
A short, pithy introduction to the New Atheists, and some of the adequate and inadequate critiques of them. The first of Mohler's take home points is that the New Atheism, while not representative of the whole population, does wield an influence which is significant. Therefore it is worth combatting. His second take home point is that liberal Christian, and vaguely theistic rebuttals will not cut it. It is a battle between biblical theism, or atheism.
Daniel Alvers
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short book on explaining the attempts of new atheists. My only problem is that this book could have been long and more specific. However, that would mean less people read it. Its probably better that more people read this book then to bog it down with all the mechanics I would have enjoyed. If you want to examine what is going on with the atheist movement in a short period of time, this is the book for you.
Anthony
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great overview of the build-up and existence of New Atheism, as well as a summary of some current Christian responses.

Mohler dislikes the response of McGrath and Plantinga because it is too sympathic of evolution. And he rejects the accommodating theology of liberal Christian.

He desires a response from 'biblical Christianity' (as defined by him, namely seven day creationism), but he doesn't present the case.
Matt Galyon
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stimulating

Stimulating

Mohler's thoughts on the new wave of atheism serve as a challenge to those of us who hold to the classical definition of Christian theism. Intellectually embracing the debate posed by new atheistic scholars is the rallying cry of this work, and is a banner that needs to be held by believers today.
Holly
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is a good read if you know nothing about the neo-atheists garnering the most media attention in recent years. It provides a good summary of who the "Four Horseman" are, where they came from, and what they've written, but it is a very surface, fly-over summary. A good starting point for becoming familiar with the works of the guys who have made atheism trendy.
Anthony  Spallone
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love reading Al Mohler. He is one of the most intelligent men of faith I know. I love his work and this did not let down. This book gave a short cultural analysis of the spiritual mood of the day. He explains what is different about the New Atheism and intelligently responds to an atheistic worldview and its implications. Thank you Dr. Mohler for writing this book!
Zachary Thomas
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mohler does an excellent job of introducing world views. He is precise with what is going on around us and how views effect us.

I wouldn't say it's a book to truly argue against atheism, but to present the New Atheism properly and give a framework in which the theist can properly distinguish what he is up against.
Jonathan Roberts
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2014
Good book! Four chapters dealing with the New Atheists and their views on all things religious. Only thing I would have liked to see was more practical ways to counter the claims made by Harris and Hitchens. But the critique of Dawkins was great as was why liberal accommodation is not the answer. Highly recommended! Fast read!
  • The Dawkins Delusion?: Atheist Fundamentalism and the Denial of the Divine
  • The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel
  • The Erosion of Inerrancy in Evangelicalism: Responding to New Challenges to Biblical Authority
  • Covenantal Apologetics: Principles and Practice in Defense of Our Faith
  • Preaching the Cross
  • God Is. How Christianity Explains Everything
  • Truth Matters: Confident Faith in a Confusing World
  • Theology of the Reformers
  • Not a Chance: God, Science, and the Revolt Against Reason
  • New Testament Commentary Survey
  • Apologetics to the Glory of God: An Introduction
  • The Courage to Be Protestant: Truth-lovers, Marketers, and Emergents in the Postmodern World
  • The Battle for the Beginning
  • From Heaven He Came and Sought Her: Definite Atonement in Historical, Biblical, Theological, and Pastoral Perspective
  • 40 Questions About Interpreting The Bible (40 Questions & Answers Series)
  • Apostolic Preaching of the Cross. Revised.
  • A Shot of Faith (to the Head): Be a Confident Believer in an Age of Cranky Atheists
  • The Real Face of Atheism
Dr. R. Albert Mohler Jr. serves as president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary - the flagship school of the Southern Baptist Convention and one of the largest seminaries in the world.

Dr. Mohler has been recognized by such influential publications as Time and Christianity Today as a leader among American evangelicals. In fact, Time.com called him the “reigning intellectual of the evangel
More about R. Albert Mohler Jr....