Start by marking “To Ride the Gods' Own Stallion” as Want to Read:
To Ride the Gods' Own Stallion

To Ride the Gods' Own Stallion

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews

"Better that you'd never been born," his father had said.

Soulai is not brave like his sister. Nor is he a skilled craftsman like his father. And when Soulai accidentally burns down his family's home, his father gives up. He sells Soulai into slavery for five years to pay off the debt.

While working in the royal stables, Soulai meets a horse unlike any other-a stallion nam

Published August 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks, Incorporated (first published January 2nd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about To Ride the Gods' Own Stallion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Ride the Gods' Own Stallion

Margo Berendsen
Really surprised this book is not more well read or even voted for any lists - I'm adding to a list for best horse books, and this is one of those rare horse books that I'm sure will appeal equally for boys as it would for girls. What boy can resist a lion hunt?

For older kids who love horses, this is a sure bet. The ancient Assyrian historical context is brilliant but not overwhelming. And the action is sizzling - the lion hunts!!!! Oh my gosh the lion hunts!!!! The boar hunt is pretty amazing,
Jenny
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, historical, animals
Soulai is sold into slavery by a father who doesn't value him. Torn from his family, Soulai struggles with his new life as the property of Prince Habasle, caring for his horses. Ti is a stallion marked by the gods for greatness, but Habasle's carelessness and Soulai's cowardice may rob him of his birthright. Soulai struggles with palace intrigue and his own heart as he tries to find his true place in life.
Lori
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, another one my son read. He said that he really really loved this book, more than some of the other historical fiction novels he read. Now that might be because we briefly studied ancient Assyria and that is when this takes place. But still, I was amazed that he liked it so much. I think I'll have to read it some day.
Kellyn
This unusual story is set in BC 640 in Nineveh. The main character, Soulai, a thirteen-year-old boy, is sold into slavery by his father. Soulai becomes a stable boy for the Crown Prince’s horses. One horse in the stable, Ti, is an unusually gifted stallion that the Prince nearly kills. Soulai protects Ti and ends up proving he is a courageous person.

Unusual setting and story.
Jen
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just finished reading to the kids and really liked it. There are a few ass and damn words in it, but a fun read for kids. We are doing 6th grade history and it came with the program. I was even happy to have read it.
Quin
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
I believe this book was a pretty good book considering it was for school and an overall good story about the bond between a boy and a horse.
Kendra
Didn't care for this one quite as much as her first book, but it was a good storyline about friendship.
Jenna Williams