Start by marking “Light The Lights! A Story About Celebrating Hanukkah And Christmas” as Want to Read:
Light The Lights! A Story About Celebrating Hanukkah And Christmas

Light The Lights! A Story About Celebrating Hanukkah And Christmas

Every December, Emma and her family celebrate two special holidays--Hanukkah and Christmas. Warm, color illustrations help families who honor both festive days.
Published October 1st 1999 by Cartwheel Books

Be the first to ask a question about Light The Lights! A Story About Celebrating Hanukkah And Christmas

Start your review of Light The Lights! A Story About Celebrating Hanukkah And Christmas
Abigail
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Secular Interfaith Christian/Jewish Families
A recent conversation about the holiday season, in which the importance of lights at this time of year was mentioned, reminded me of this charming picture book about a little girl whose family celebrates both Hanukkah and Christmas. When winter approaches, and the world grows dark, Emma knows it will soon be time to take out the family menorah with her father, and decorate the Christmas tree with her mother...

Light the Lights! is a very secular work, and readers should not expect to find an
Lisa Vegan
Dec 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children from interfaith families
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
I always admire children’s picture book authors who both write and illustrate their books and here’s one that the author has obviously based on her own family.

The story is about a girl and her parents who celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas, and shows some of the traditional activities they do for each of those holidays.
Suzanne Kunz Williams
This was a beautiful peaceful book about a loving family who celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas. What seems to be oddly missing from the book is there is no mention of no religion. There is no mention of Christ, or anything about his life and the reason for Christmas. Neither is there any mention of the Messiah and the reason for Hanukkah. Both holidays seem celebrated completely on the secular level. Still there is love and peace in the family and in the home, and I like the book for that ...more
carrietracy
When winter comes around, Emma knows it’s the season of lights. First she celebrates Hanukkah with her family, polishing the menorah with her father, eating latkes and playing with her cousins. Then they celebrate Christmas with cookies and tree decorating.

It’s a sweet story that keeps the focus on the traditions rather than the religion. There isn’t a single mention of Judah Maccabee or of Jesus Christ. So from that perspective it’s probably not a bad bet for a classroom read aloud. Another
Rosa Cline
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas, kids
This was a nice book to help children begin to understand about other holidays that their families may not celebrate. I wished, though, that it had explained a bit more about 'why' the holidays are celebrated. It starts with the little girl getting the candles out for Hanukkah and each day a different family member comes to visit. But for those of us that doesn't celebrate Hanukkah 'why' is she doing that and why is it 8 days long? After they finish with the candles they put it away and she and ...more
Kelly
Like many good things, this book arose out of a parent's desire to provide their child with a tool that didn't yet exist for understanding the world. Moorman's book depicts the traditions of one family who celebrates both Hanukkah and Christmas. The text does not share faith-stories, but rather focuses on holiday rituals, traditions, and the common themes of light and communal celebration. A much appreciated addition to a larger repertoire of books focused on winter holidays and celebrations.
Tolkiengirl
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's a cute idea, but it lacks some depth. If you're going to write a book about Hanukkah and Christmas, I personally want to hear at least a sentence about the Old Testament and Jesus. If someone celebrates these holidays more out of tradition vs. with religious intent, they would probably enjoy having this in a home library.
Dolly
Dec 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a nice tale about a multi-religion family, one in which they celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas. It's a simple story that does not go into the background of either religion or holiday celebration, but it does cover some of the major traditions and celebrations at this time of year. It's a fun story to read aloud in December.
Tina
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute book...not spectacular, but the story is cute. Art work is ok, not fabulous. Tells the story of a city dwelling family (looks like NYC?) that celebrates both Hannukah and Xmas. Story is kind of flat, but since there's not many books out there sharing this unique perspective, it'll do. Worth a look.
Miriam
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Even though I don't necessarily agree with the book's premise being okay, the writing style is engaging and the art is warm and welcoming. It does everything it sets out to do quite well, keeping a politically charged topic in the simple, happy worldview of a contented child.
Dianne Norberg
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really like this book because it talks about Christmas and Hannakuh traditions within the same family. It is great to show kids how each holiday is celebrated and that some families may celebrate both holidays using different traditions.
MaryJane
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nice story about Hanukkah and Christmas as a time to celebrate light in the winter and to gather with friends and family. I especially enjoyed looking for the cats in each picture!
Colleen
Dec 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It tells kinda how people can share a family but have a diffrent religon.
just like me in my family my dad is jewish but my mom is episcapole so I celebrate christmas and Hanukah
Jim
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
almost completely devoid of the meaning of the holidays
Nancy (Colorado)
Dec 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Reread today in class!
Melissa
Dec 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This read aloud addresses families that celebrate both Chanukah and Christmas. The story is simple and focuses around the importance of lights in both celebrations.
Cassi
Dec 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: diversity
a story about a family who celebrates Hanukkah and Christmas. Kind of confusing even for me...
Rima Halig
Apr 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: holidays
The story of a little girl's Hanukkah and what occurs each night of the holiday.
george
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile
A nice story about a family who celebrates both Hanukkah and Christmas. Doesn't really explain either holiday, though; just the activities the family does.
Emily
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems
  • I Am Jennie
  • Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women
  • I Thought It Was Just Me: Women Reclaiming Power and Courage in a Culture of Shame
  • A Child is Born