Start by marking “The Silence of Medair (Medair, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Silence of Medair (Medair, #1)

Read Excerpt

The Silence of Medair

(Medair #1)

Time stole victory.

Medair an Rynstar returned too late to drive back the Ibisian invasion. Centuries too late.

When friend and enemy have become the same thing, what use are the weapons Medair planned to use to protect her Empire? There is no magic, no artefact, no enchanted trinket which can undo the past.

But no matter how Medair wishes to hide from the consequences of her
Published November 30th 2010 by Andrea K. Höst

To ask other readers questions about The Silence of Medair, please sign up.
JEAN C SHARP No explicit swearing -- we are told that people "curse" at likely times, or the curse is in Farakkan or Ibis-laran and not translated.

Sex is implied…more

Sex is implied -- scene skips from a personal conversation to pillow talk.(less)

Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky)
I don't have time to do another full review today and I'm super behind on writing long reviews for all the books I want to but here's some quick thoughts on why this book deserves a much bigger readership:

- A sophisticated exploration of colonialism
- A complex consideration of romance between people with unequal power
- A sensitive portrayal of the costs of war and the factors that drive it on both sides.
-great characterisation

Issues you should be aware of going in:

-the prose isn't great. This
Jacob Proffitt
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I'm going to let this review stand for both books (The Silence of Medair and Voice of the Lost). Höst tends to write in units of “story” and breaking them up into multiple books isn't something that she does very well—i.e. they don't wrap to complete stories of their own, they mostly just break during a pause in the action. I figure that as long as I'm not stuck waiting for the next book, I'm okay with that.

The story of Medair is a fascinating one—what do you do when you found the artifact that
Nathan
The war is all but over, defeat almost a sure thing. In desperation Medair sets out on her quest to find an object of legendary power that could be the last chance to save her land. Against all odds she finds it. Pausing to think over the ramifications of what she could unleash proves to be a costly mistake.

We are talking about a five hundred year mistake.

Now Medair has a magical bag that can hide anything, a handful of rings with magical abilities, and a horn with power unimaginable. What she d
manda
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie, fantasy, twas-good
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I was first tempted to read it because of the cover - it might seem a little juvenile compared to the contents of the book, but I found that it was very much appropriate.

Medair an Rynstar was sent on a crucial mission by her Emperor. On the brink of an impending war, it was her duty to retrieve the Horn of Farak; the only thing that could turn the tides and prevent the collapse of the Palladium Empire, for which Medair has sworn her undying fealty to.

The
Pauline Ross
For those who say all self-published works are dross - this book is a stunning counter example. The manuscript spent an unbelievable ten years - I'll say that again, TEN years! - languishing with a single publisher before the author withdrew it in disgust and self-published. You can see why they might have had a problem with it, because it's very different from the average. It's intelligent, thought-provoking and well written. It avoids cliches. It's character-driven fantasy at its best. It's al ...more
Intisar Khanani
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.5

I read this book twice in quick succession. The first time was something like the biggest book crush I've ever had. The second time was kind of like when you see past all the glitter and sparkles in your vision, and come to love the actual book underneath.

The premise of this novel is fantastic: Medair goes off to find an artifact of awesome magical powers in order to save the heart of her beloved Empire from invasion. She returns successful ... five hundred years after her Empi
Melissa McShane
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Férial
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What if you arrived 500 years in the future because the magical artifact you found, and that would have helped defeat the enemy that is invading your country, was linked with time ?

What if 500 years later, the enemy had mixed with the locals and their king become the "rightful" ruler ?

Where would your loyalties lay ? With the former enemy ? With the rebel factions who still want the lost royal line to be restored on the Silver Throne ? With the greedy ruler of another country who supposedly want
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ONE LINE REVIEW

As usual, Host has fabulous characters and an interesting plot, but a twist of setting about 80% through lost me totally.

[Blog] - [Bookstagram]

photo c l i m b C2A0e v e r y C2A0m o u n t a i n 2_zpsykn9gbgr.png
Frida Fantastic (book blogger)
(Cross-posted from Frida Fantastic)

A lot of fantasy involves a hero on a fetch quest to save the kingdom from invading hordes. But what if the hero failed? This is exactly the beginning of this book.

The central premise is amazing and makes this book stand out from its contemporaries. Epic fantasy as a subgenre seems to like its epic wars and the threat of invasion, but it doesn’t concern itself much with a logical consequence of war—colonialism. Medair fetches the Horn of Farak, but she dooms he
Rachel Neumeier
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really loved both books of this duology, of which this is the first. It's really one complete story split in half, so I definitely suggest you get The Voice of the Lost at the same time you pick up this one.

Anyway, it's such a relief when your second book by a still-new-to-you author is not a let-down from the first. I can see that the Medair duology might not be for everyone – I’m curious now that I’ve read them, and need to go look them up other reviews. The main character is very introspect
Lexie
Putting aside my obvious enjoyment of Host's books, what intrigued me the most about the Medair duology was the premise behind it: What would happen if the hero slept through the war and had no choice but to aid her once-enemies? Its more complicated then that of course, but the implications of the hero missing the war alone made me want to read more.

I could, and might still at a future date, wax poetical about the moral conflict Medair faces. Through no design of her own, a simple night's rest
Mara
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: BamaGal
Shelves: fantasy
Self-published

Once in a blue moon I hit the self-published jackpot and I win the lottery. I already knew Andrea Host and I loved her Champion of the Rose.

The Silence of Medair is fantasy at its best: world-building, politics, characters worth rooting for.

Medair is not my usual heroine (kick ass and rude), she is a trained diplomat, always gentle and well behaved even when that's not what she (I?) wants. Her story talks of racism, cultural differences, hatred, war and the meaning of all of these
Julia ♡ Sarcasm and Romance Addict ♡
I found it to be more tedious than enjoyable to read. Complex naming system (people are sometimes called by their titles so you'll have entire conversations with people addressing each other with the same word), slow buildup, confusing switches between the past and presence, a muddled storyline (a fire just changed the world?), and a somewhat weak heroine.
Becky
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that ending was...complicated. Not sure how I felt about that.
Guillermo
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
I cannot truly overstate how much I enjoyed this story(and by this book, I mean both The Silence of Medair and Voice of the Lost)

It is not often when I find a book that neatly reunites so many things I enjoy in such a spectacularly well-done whole. Beautiful prose? Check. Attractive characters? Check. Interesting world-building? Check!

Captivating story? Oh boy!

Its a very interesting premise, really. Our heroine, seeing her homeland about to be overrun by invaders, undertakes a mystical quest, an
Ascolta
PREFACE: I agree with many of the points raised by other reviewers, re, The Silence of Medair 's good points: original story line, complexity of the reluctant folk hero, spin on the idea of "blue-blood," etc. THAT SAID, I do not think that these merits sufficiently make up for Medair 's weak points to warrant beyond a 3-star rating. I just wish it were better...

1) This claims to be a stand-alone book, but it doesn't really. 2) Höst spends an absurd amount of time creating unnecessarily complex
Vanessa J
Invasion of one's homeland is a common story-telling device in high fantasy. Usually the focus is one what happens during the invasion, and what measures are taken to resist it. 'The Silence of Medair' looks at it from a different angle: what happens if you lose the fight? How do you cope?

This isn't a story about war - though the consequences of colonization are explored from both sides - but about living in the aftermath. Though the plot follows the main character being reluctantly drawn into
Mike
I won't be writing a full review for this book for the simple fact that I didn't understand most of it. I wasn't completely lost, but I don't feel like I got enough to review. It was, mainly, because the worldbuilding was so damn complicated. I admire the avoidance of infodumps, but there was just so much of it that I couldn't keep track. So I ended up skimming a lot of the parts that built the world. That led to me not understanding more parts of the story, which led to more skimming... I think ...more
Valerie
The very best kind of epic fantasy: colourful, detailed, somewhat political—and totally driven by characters who have to make hard choices. Medair's overwhelming guilt about having come back too late to save her empire was so cathartic to read, somehow, even though I've never fallen asleep and missed my save-the-world date by five-hundred years. She has to pretend not to be the Medair who became a legend five-hundred years ago (as if anyone would believe her) but her curiosity keeps her from fad ...more
Lindsay Stares
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-on-kindle
Premise: Medair was a Herald for the Palladium Empire. When the far-off Ibisians' home is destroyed by wild magic, they come to the mainland, but instead of forging peace with the Palladians, they sweep through as an unstoppable army, threatening everything she knows. Medair is sent on a last-ditch mission to capture a magical artifact that could save them. She finds it, but soon discovers that she has returned too late - 500 years too late. The book opens about six months later.

Wow. I was just
Kira
Jun 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ragequit halfway through the book when I realized that there was more action in their CONVERSATIONS than in the actual plot. Literally nothing of import has happened yet. I'm irrationally angry because I really, really wanted to like this book. The world-building is great, the premise is interesting, and the characters fleshed out, and the conflict, well, conflicting. But it's all useless if NOTHING HAPPENS.

It's like a couldhavebeen 5 star book that made me so angry about its wasted promise, tha
Lesley
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Silence of Medair is refreshingly different. Filled with internal conflict, it's deeply introspective in a way I wasn’t expecting. The worldbuilding is also impressively detailed and nuanced. Although the story gets somewhat bogged down in exposition towards the end, it’s still an engaging read. Well-written, with a unique premise and compelling characters, The Silence of Medair is a great book if you’re looking for a change of pace. The story is clearly only half finished, so I look forward ...more
Candice
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I still love this book SO much.
Barbara Howe
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I cried over The Silence of Medair. That’s a compliment, you understand. To become so engrossed in a story that the real world gets put on hold for a few hours, to identify so strongly with a character that I can feel how much it costs her to keep her chin up and her voice steady when she would rather throw herself onto her bed and sob—that’s the magic that keeps me coming back for more.

Medair an Rynstar, herald for the Palladian Empire, is on the losing side. With her country on the verge of di
Lily / Allison
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

I really loved the base concept of this novel and a lot of the points it brings up. I think Höst does a pretty great job at exploring some really interesting topics that aren't often touched on in a lot of fantasy novels. What happens when you succeed in your big quest but lose the war? How do you reconcile the fact that you're surrounded by people who are as much your own people as your colonizers with your hatred? What is more important: loyalty or compassion?

I do have to say
Morgan
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, reviews
Maryam
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, ebooks
Not sure why this book has not got the attention it deserves but I really enjoyed it. I came across it when I was looking for a book that has less than 100 reviews on Goodreads for one of the tasks on Read Harder Challenge 2019.

When I started it I wasn't sure if I would like it, it surely has some weak points and the writing wavers in different chapters but overall it was a fun and enjoyable read that I would recommend to those that enjoy YA fantasy books.

Medair is the herald of a great empire w
Morgan
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This book's strength is rooted in its discussion of colonialism and dealing with the ramifications of mingling two cultures by force. Secondarily, Medair is a uniquely polite, moderated and controlled protagonist, which I found refreshing.

Conversely, this book was a little devoid of passion. I feel that we are often told, and very rarely shown. Situational tension is always in Medair's head, spoken by her inner voice, with few illustrations by other characters. The premise sets this up by havin
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Taming the Forest King
  • Conspiracy (The Emperor's Edge, #4)
  • Havenstar
  • The Trouble with Kings
  • Rebellion (Chronicles of Charanthe, #1)
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • The Ritual (Theft and Sorcery, #1)
  • Secrets of the Sands (Children of the Desert, #1)
  • Orlind (Draykon, #3)
  • Lords of Rainbow
  • Heroes Adrift (Hero, #3)
  • Scriber
  • Air and Ash (Tides #1)
Born in Sweden and raised in Australia, Andrea K Höst currently lives in Sydney. She writes fantasy, but wanders occasionally into science fantasy.

Her novel "The Silence of Medair" was a finalist for the 2010 Aurealis Award for best fantasy novel. Her novella "Forfeit" won the 2016 Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Novella.

Medair (2 books)
  • Voice of the Lost (Medair, #2)