Start by marking “Todeszauber” as Want to Read:
Todeszauber

Todeszauber (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte #6)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  461 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
During a violent storm, Jeffrey Anderson vanishes without a trace in the Australian bush. When the search for Anderson goes nowhere, Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte is charged with finding the missing man. He discovers that Andreson was known as a violent hothead and was not popular among the Aborigines. On the day of his disappearance the members of the Kalchuts tribe had a ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by New Media German Language (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Todeszauber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Todeszauber

La Tonya  Jordan
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to La Tonya by: Mystery Book Group Carmel, In Library
Shelves: good-read
Detective-Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte is a half-caste. His mother is an aborigine and his father is white. Given the choice to live a life as an aborigine or a white person. He chooses the latter. He is proud of the fact he has solved all of his cases. To Napoleon Bonaparte, who is called Bony, this represents the intellect of the aborigine and dispels the myth that aborigines are inferior to whites.

Jeffery Anderson has disappeared and the case is five months old. Bony is sent by his superiors
Bev
The Bone Is Pointed is the sixth novel in Arthur W. Upfield's detective series featuring Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte. It is the second of the these novels which I have read. In this outing Bony is called to the bush country where a man went missing five months ago. Few people really care what happened to Jack Anderson. He was a cruel man with a nasty temper...a man who wasn't afraid to use his whip on those who crossed him. Have the bush men exacted revenge for his beating of one of their own? ...more
Roberta
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all the "Bony" books before, but in this mystery the natural features of the Australian Outback are vivid and gritty. The migration of the rabbits (world gone mad) and the Aboriginal "pointing of the bone" make this like a lesson in natural history and anthropology. Done with the ever charming detective Napoleon Bonaparte, who's ancestry is part European and part Aborigine. Fascinating. Was there a TV series made based on these books? Arthur W.Upfield is the Tony Hillerman of Austral ...more
Mary Stanton
If you haven't discovered Arthur Upfield--well, you'll love his setting. It's Australia in the 30's with a half-aborigine detective named Napoleon Bonaparte. The best of this series is THE BONE IS POINTED.
Kerrie
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this tale Bony appears as a Queensland C.I.B. detective on leave, turning up at an outback station where a rouseabout has gone missing during a storm. His horse turns up at the station the morning after the storm riderless and there is no trace of Jack Anderson. No black trackers are available because the whole local tribe has gone to visit a female elder thought to be dying. By the time a tracker can be found heavy rains have obliterated Anderson's tracks.

During the story Bony becomes ill wi
John
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Way out west, a man has disappeared. No one seems to have liked him. Bony arrives on the scene and is hit by a feeling of unease. Is he being followed, and by whom? Soon Bony is mentally struck down, knowing the bone has been pointed. Will Bony get his man, or die in the attempt. Obviously he doesn't, but as usual the story grabs the reader and just doesn't let up.
Derelict Space Sheep
42 WORD REVIEW:

This mystery doesn’t take much solving, but neither did many of Arthur Conan Doyle’s. As with Sherlock Holmes, it is the character of half-caste Aboriginal detective Napoleon Bonaparte that bewitches the reader, plus in this case Upfield’s vivid descriptions of outback Australia.
Christine
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I love this series and this protagonist. Of the Napoleon Boneparte books, this is my favorite. I love the setting as well, and the element of the supernatural.
Vallery Feldman
At one time I read a lot of Upfield and was hoping to enjoy this one. However, I found the book very slow and Boney no longer as appealing a character as before. Maybe I have outgrown this series.
Mary Ahlgren
Slow moving, but intentionally so. Interesting commentary on some bits of Australian history and race relations.
Ann
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating view of the aboriginal culture as Bony has to survive a deadly curse while solving the mystery. The description of the rabbit migration showed another surprise of life in the bush.
Eastendleo
Arthur Upfield was a British Australian in a time when British was understood to mean white. His character for his mystery series, Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, is half Aboriginal.

As a detective novel, it works. Some of the Australian background is taken for granted and could have done with a bit more explanation. Some of the topography and vegetation is named but leaves no impression for those of us unfamiliar with their reality.

What detracts from the story (or did for me) is the race politics.
Ed
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#6 in the Napoleon "Bony" Bonaparte series. Bony is the son of an English mother and an Australian aboriginal father. This tale of mysterious doings on a pair of stations (ranches) in the rural Australia of the 1940s is fascinating. Bony makes it a point that he has never failed to solve a case and he has never quit one until it was solved. When he is assigned to find what happened to a fence rider who disappeared in an epic rainstorm five months earlier he must utilize all of his knowledge of b ...more
Timothy Ferguson
Oh, such a complicated book for what’s basically a simple detective mystery. It’s the first in the Bony series I’ve listened to, and I enjoyed it immensely except for a disquiet through the whole thing on the matter of race. Are Bony’s feelings of internalised inferiority (due to having a black mother) meant to represent that author’s opinion? Are they meant to show how some black people felt at the time? Can you really admire a hero (and otherwise he’s far more personable than, say Hercule Poir ...more
Lucy
"In this country colour is no bar to a keen man's progress providing that he has twice the ability of his rivals. I have devoted my gifts to the detection of crime, believing that when justice is sure the community is less troubled by the criminal. That I stand midway between the black man, who makes fire with a stick, and the white man, who kills women and babes with bombs and machine guns, should not be accounted against me. I have been satisfied with the employment of my mental and inherited ...more
Rusty
This is an author recommended by one of my friends on Paperback Swap and he does an awesome job of crafting an exciting mystery. The main character is Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, half Aboriginal, who is sent to discover what happened to a man who disappeared checking fence and the herds. Much is included about Aboriginal culture and practices which adds to the tale itself.

I thoroughly enjoyed Bonaparte, his investigation and experiences. Yes, he discovers what happened to the man and why. To
isabelle de leeneer
I love the whole series written by Arthur Upfield, a pseudonym for two cousins who wrote these wonderful stories happening in the deep Australia, in the fifties. Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, who's mother is aboriginal and father is white, who is very unconventional in his methods and is at its best in the great open spaces where only farms and sheep and horses can be seen, takes us with hime to discover this country and the farmers with their hard life. Just by reading these stories, I wanted t ...more
Alaina Sloo
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful series detective novel series, written from the 1920s to the 1960s. Most of the books in this series are set in or near towns or stations in the Australian bush. The books offer a wonderful sense of place and culture of the time, good mysteries to solve, and a half-aboriginal, half-white police detective called Napoleon Bonaparte, a character in the Sherlock Holmes mold. A few of the Napoleon Bonaparte books are set in larger towns or cities, but I think the books set in the bush are ...more
Mahmoud Adly
I wish I could finish reading to the very end of this novel. But unfortunately the language of most characters was taking time to understand than concentrating with other details. Writing with the local Australian accent was not suitable for me. But in general it was a great plot with many details to distract the inspector (or after all, the reader), plus the beautiful description of the scenes.
Wendy
In the first 5 books in the series, Bony works undercover. In this one everyone is aware that he is a (police) detective looking into the disappearance of a man several months earlier. The man's horse came back without him and no one has seen him since.

The sections about the rabbit migration are going to give me nightmares!
Carol Colfer
Most of Upfield's Bony stories include interesting insights into aboriginal culture. This one brings the rancher/farmers together with the neighbouring aborigines in a complex plot. As usual, Bony uses his observational skills to solve the puzzling murder.
Sue Law
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-crime
I really enjoyed this mystery. Bony is sent to Western Queensland to investigate the disappearance of a man which happened 5 months previously. Were the local aboriginal tribe responsible? If not who are they protecting?
Elizabeth Robinson
A reader will learn a lot about the Australian outback by reading this book. Published in the 1940's, it's somewhat dated but well-written. The protagonist, Detective-Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, is a fascinating character.
William Doonan
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard of Upfield until a friend told me about him. This is a very good book, dated, for sure, and loaded with the languages and prejudices of the time in which is was written. But it was a blast to read.
Oct 21, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte is, in Australian lingo of the mid-20th century, a "half-caste." That is, he is half-Aborigine and half-white. Arthur Upfield might not have been the best mystery writer ever, but he did challenge white Australian stereotypes about the Aborigines.
Caroline
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book when I was in High School, it was a book on my English reading list. I enjoyed it then and some 40 years later this book still managed to keep me enthralled. With the plot being set in outback Australia this just added to the enjoyment and it was a great mystery read.
Peter Metcalfe
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the first book of Upfield that i read and one of many by the original man of mystery in the Australian landscape
Drury
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the use of 'native' Aussie 'things', the names of the natives, the description of the landscape, the rabbits, the boning...
Nicole
Jul 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Aboriginal shaman uses sympathetic magic in an attempt to harm Bony. This story goes into tribal beliefs and their interactions with whites in greater depth.
Russell L
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about Australia.A good one,but it has quite a few Australian words and phrases.
  • Dear Old Dead (Gregor Demarkian, #9)
  • River of Shadows
  • Carte Blanche
  • The Broken Shore
  • Gently Down the Stream
  • Paving the New Road (Rowland Sinclair #4)
  • The Dragon Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #7)
  • Service of All the Dead (Inspector Morse, #4)
  • The Friend of Madame Maigret (Maigret #34)
  • Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn, #13)
  • Murder at the Savoy (Martin Beck, #6)
  • Watch The World Burn (Detective Jill Jackson, #4)
  • The Case of the Angry Mourner
  • A Murder, a Mystery and a Marriage
  • Bereft
  • Drylands
  • I Can Jump Puddles
  • The Social History of the Machine Gun
Aka Arthur Upfield

Arthur William Upfield (1 September 1890 – 13 February 1964) was an Australian writer, best known for his works of detective fiction featuring Detective Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte ('Bony') of the Queensland Police Force, a half-caste Aborigine.

Born in England, Upfield moved to Australia in 1910 and fought with the Australian military during the First World War. Following his wa
More about Arthur W. Upfield

Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Barrakee Mystery (Bony, #1)
  • The Sands of Windee (Bony, #2)
  • Wings Above the Diamantina (Bony, #3)
  • Murder Down Under
  • Winds of Evil (A Scribner Crime Classics)
  • The Mystery of Swordfish Reef
  • No Footprints in the Bush
  • Death of a Swagman
  • The Devil's Steps
  • An Author Bites the Dust

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Binary
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Case of Need
  • Easy Go
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Red Road (Alex Morrow #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • Darkness, My Old Friend
  • Retribution
  • Duplicity
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Widowmaker (Mike Bowditch #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Remember Me Like This
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Penance
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Cold Harbor (Gibson Vaughn, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
  • Neighborly
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
  • The Drowning