Start by marking “Please Don't Bomb the Suburbs: A Midterm Report on My Generation and the Future of Our Super Movement” as Want to Read:

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Here's what the critics have to say about William Upski Wimsatt's previous work:
"Spiritual heir to Norman Mailer.""The Atlantic"
"Wimsatt's charisma stems from his courage."Cornel West
""Bomb the Suburbs" and "No More Prisons" are cult classics deftly reflecting the hip-hop generation's maturation.""Miami New Times"
"A refreshing voice for Generation X.""Library Journal"
Published September 14th 2010 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Please Don't Bomb the Suburbs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please Don't Bomb the Suburbs

William Upski
Sep 27, 2010 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I just stumbled upon Good Reads and found you all here. I feel like I walked in on a conversation and I'd love to eavesdrop. I am dying to hear people's thoughts on the ideas in this book. Field 3.0 and Supermovements. Good people getting Power. The history of our generation. Adulthood. The artist trap. Management for the Movement. Emotional intelligence scales. The most progressive generation in history. The Obama sections. The top 100 activists. the provocative race sections. Winning stra ...more
Mary Ralph
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Way better the 2nd time just because of where I am in life/career/organizing.
It was also strangely comforting in a post-11/9 world to relive the modern history of youth organizing and the rise of Obama. I'm feeling hyped for the midterms.
Sidik Fofana
Sep 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SIX WORD REVIEW: A personal progressive revolutionary self-help text
Erhardt Graeff
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like much of Billy's writing this book is written like a polished set of diary entries and calls to action. His style is casual, impassioned, and engaging, though at times borders on frenetic and cheerlead-y. Hard to blame him as he is trying to convey a sense of urgency to motivate readers to take action on impending catastrophes in our environment and the economy.

The larger arc of the book is about movement building, but it is also a very personal book—in some ways more personal than Billy's e
Jamie
Dec 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By far the best part of this book for me was toward the end where Wimsatt describes why running an organization by collective doesn't work, and why hierarchy shouldn't make people cringe. I wanted to photocopy this segment (maybe 6 pages) and give it to my current boss. He's not interested in running things via collective, but it describes all the things he does wrong to a tee, and explains why our organization is at a standstill with him as the leader. Total vindication. Thanks, Billy.

This book
Matt
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Upski's first two books at a time when I was first becoming involved in activism and the movement. Being a fan of hip-hop the books really spoke to me as Wimsatt came from that perspective as well. Please Don't Bomb the Suburbs continues with that same formula but also brings the added insight that Wimsatt has gained through his experiences since he wrote Bomb the Suburbs and No More Prisons. This book does a great job of speaking on where we've been and where we're going (and how to get ...more
Klelly
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like his account of his long process in analyzing "holy shit, everything we were taught or assumed growing up is a lie and product of the most destructive system of control and oppression, our teachers and parents are in on it, who can you trust?" shock.
what is white culture? home depot, lite beer, subdivisions, the cia are mentioned. Billy finds out more about his roots. He learned the welsh are fierce anti-colonialists, and is empowered. The section closes with him talking about being an ex
Meredith
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent impetus for personal reflection and brainstorming.

Ideas-
Van Williams on the green collar economy (parallels a new campaign that ACE was taking on when i left)
zines zines zines and [online] voter guides
"politics and pancakes" / "politics and pizza" etc.
New Mouth From the Dirty South Press
The Future 500 : cataloging youth activist groups
[bio]regional alliances
moveon.org

"Building partnerships is hard and takes years of practice. You have to be self-aware. you have to be aware of others.
Troy
This is one of those books i'll probably continue to pick up, read a few pages, put it down, and come back to. I am long an Upski fan, and it's good to see him grow up and figure some things out. A man of his history and experience is really inspiring, and his actions and opinions never come off as crazy or pscho, but reasoned and logical.
Jon
Nov 11, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shelved
may finish some day
Corey
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
next.
Caelie
I loved to hate this book because I disagree w/him but it was an entertaining read the entire way!
April
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-non-fiction
some of it's not as great as "No More Prisons" but it still gave me lots of food for thought!
anne
some useful and inspiring stuff in here, but gets repetitive and self-centered at points.
Ivy
Apr 03, 2015
Casey Smith
Mar 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Classified: How to Stop Hiding Your Privilege and Use It for Social Change!
  • Hard Art, DC 1979
  • Chasing Water: Elegy of an Olympian
  • Starve the Vulture
  • Black Music
  • Letters from Young Activists: Today's Rebels Speak Out
  • Primus, Over the Electric Grapevine: Insight into Primus and the World of Les Claypool
  • What Else Is in the Teaches of Peaches
  • Will Work for Drugs
  • Latino USA: A Cartoon History
  • Just Call Me Mike: A Journey to Actor and Activist
  • And Then I Danced: Traveling the Road to LGBT Equality
  • Hurricane Street
  • Conversation Pieces: Community and Communication in Modern Art
  • American Honor Killings: Desire and Rage Among Men
  • What's the Future of Business?: Changing the Way Businesses Create Experiences
  • The Power of Unpopular: A Guide to Building Your Brand for the Audience Who Will Love You (and why no one else matters)
  • Not for Everyday Use: A Memoir
William Wimsatt, also known as Billy or Upski, is a social entrepreneur, author, political activist, and former graffiti artist. Wimsatt is founder of the League of Young Voters, co-founder of Generational Alliance and the author or editor of six books.

Wimsatt was born in Chicago, attended the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools, received his High School diploma from Whitney M. Young Magnet H
More about William Upski Wimsatt...