Start by marking “A Complete Collection of Edgar Allan Poe's Poetical Works ” as Want to Read:
A Complete Collection of Edgar Allan Poe's Poetical Works

A Complete Collection of Edgar Allan Poe's Poetical Works

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  3,072 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Review: "[Poe's] most thoughtful notices set a level of popular book reviewing that has remained unequalled in America, and that led George Bernard Shaw to call him 'the greatest journalistic critic of his time.'" Kenneth Silverman
Product Description: A real Classic of the classics! It is more than 100 years since the death of Edgar Allan Poe, and his writings are now for
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about A Complete Collection of Edgar Allan Poe's Poetical Works

Charlie
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For someone such as myself, who isn't a native English speaker, some of Poe's writing is a bit difficult to decipher. I read this book with the online oxford dictionary opened on my phone at all times.
I can deal with the "hath, thou, ye, thee, o'er" etc. but some of the vocabulary was a bit harder to grasp.. So I re-read a lot, but it was an absolute pleasure.

The short memoir at the beginning makes it easier to understand where all the melancholy he carried and wrote with came from. The poor m
Dimitra
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edgar-allan-poe
Ίσως η πιο προσεγμένη συλλογή ποιημάτων του Πόε, πού έχω διαβάσει μέχρι στιγμής!
Πολύ όμορφα δομημένο βιβλίο, διακοσμημένο τόσο-όσο, για να συνοδεύει τα ποιήματα, τα οποία είναι μπόλικα και μάλιστα όχι μόνο τα "γνωστά".
Πάρα πολύ όμορφη απόδοση στην ελληνική γλώσσα!
Και το κυριότερο, ίσως η καλύτερη εισαγωγή που έχω διαβάσει σε βιβλίο με έργα του Πόε!
Ο Νίκος Σημηριώτης πραγματικά δείχνει την αγάπη του για το συγγραφέα/ποιητή, και ταυτίστηκα πλήρως με τα λόγια και τις σκέψεις του περί αυτού!
Όσες φορ
Matthew Talbert
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible, I'm sorry I never read more of Poe's poetry before. To me, the melancholy tone of many of his poems is just right. One of the most interesting things, though, was to read his essay on how he writes poetry. Unlike the common perception of Poe as sort of deranged, he was in fact very methodical in his poetry, and he goes through in detail explaining the writing of The Raven. I have always really disliked people who think that creativity and being very logical and methodical do not go t ...more
Nadine
My favourite is still The Raven, and that's probably because it was on the Simpsons. I just can't concentrate when I read poetry. There was a "prose poem" (I didn't even know that could be a thing) where he described a sunset, which I also liked. There were essays at the back where he discussed poetry, and I think they sort of explained why I am not into poetry, Basically, they are useful for describing beauty and I guess I need to be able to actually see it. He also said that melancholy is the ...more
Nesnesnes
I didn’t quite enjoy Poe’s longer works (blame it on my rather short attention span), but I found Annabel Lee and A Dream Within A Dream exceptionally beautiful.
Leah
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I want to rate this 5 stars because a handful of these poems are deserving of exactly that and more, many of them are pretty boring or uninteresting to me.
Kira
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the actual poetry and the articles, not so much the rest of it. Poe, I think, should be had in small doses. In large chunks he's depressing. I'm glad I read this book, but from now on I'll read a poem it short story at a time.
Craig Reges
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book contains a lot of material. Much is familiar like The Raven and Annabel Lee. There is a lot of material that is new to me. The book is quite old having been published in the late 1800's. There is a preface that tells a lot about Poe's life which is interesting. At the end of the book, beginning at page 224 or so is an interesting discussion by Poe as to how he wrote The Raven and why he did it the way he did. It's worth reading.

I gave the book four stars somewhat reluctantly because:

Lori
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very hard book to get through. But I believe persevering is worth it. I also think ambiance has a lot to do with the enjoyment of this book. I started it in the middle of summer, with the weather warm and sunny. I didn't find it left the best impression. Today it is cool, overcast and rainy. This is the perfect book to cuddle up beside the fire and read! Of course I love the Raven......but that was really the only poem I really knew of Poe's. I had to read "The Telltale Heart" in school and I ...more
Susan
Apr 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though most of his poems seem tortured and bizarre, there are a few that I really love. "The Raven" is one of those. I view it as, perhaps, the best poem ever written, a masterpiece. Reading it is fun; hearing it read is fun; feeling the rhythm and meter are fun. Included in this book is a short biography of his life, which is fascinating - and Poe's own "Philosophy of "Composition", where he explains his choices and construction of "The Raven". What I learned about Poe was that he considered hi ...more
Chasity Nicole
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love Poe

Poe is by far my favorite poet. I loved reading his poems and other writings when I was in school. This collection was very extensive and I got to read a lot of poems if never heard of before.

My favorite will always be The Raven. There is just something about it that makes me love it with every additional read. There is just something about Poe's works that tug at you in a way that is hard to sum up into words. His poems are beautiful and some morbid. But that just makes the
Denisse Garza
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, 2-stars
Es de 2 estrellas si se promedia todo el libro. Algo interesante del libro es que los poemas están divididos en 3 partes: los de su juventud, adultez, y vejez. Se puede ver claramente como Poe fue mejorando en su poesía con el paso de los años.

Los poemas que más me gustaron fueron:
The Raven
Lenore
To One in Paradise
To --
Siendo el favorito de ellos, el poema de The Sleeper

Creo que estos poemas son los más conocidos,
Jessica
Like every other person in the U.S., I have a fascination with The Raven. Unlike ever other person, I actually read more of Poe's writings. I discovered I enjoy his poetry but could do without his essays. I liked learning the histories and meanings, but I'm just not an essay kind of girl. Poe was a talented writer undoubtably. He was incredibly intelligent, but the odds weren't in his favor in life. I'm glad I read the book and I'm glad it's over.

I still love The Raven, but I shall read this "n
Leslie
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, poetry
The layout of this collection is interesting, as it starts with Poe's poems "of later life" which include his most famous (The Raven, Annabelle Lee, etc), then moves to his poems "of middle life", followed by poetry of his early life (I skipped the essays and prose poems at the end of the book).

The reverse chronology unfortunately meant that the quality decreased somewhat as you proceed. Poe clearly gained in skill as he aged and all of his very best poems are in the first section of this colle
Helen Power
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a different version of the complete poetical works that I couldn't find on Goodreads (It's really old--and it originally cost only 35 cents, according to the cover!). The Raven, The Bells, Annabel Lee, A Dream within a Dream, and The Sleeper are my favourites. Of course, the two poems entitled "To Helen" also hold a place in my heart <3

The Raven is very much like a short story--with a series of events of the poem, followed by an emotional climax towards the end. It's a must read for a

Elisabeth
I really liked some of the poems, but most of the additional material was not really that interesting to me. However, the essay describing Poe's creative process when writing the Raven was very compelling. All in all, I'd say I give it 4 stars for the poetry and 2 stars for the essays and other stuff, which evens out to 3 stars total.
Simon
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a gamer's remark: Poe's work is soulslike in the spirit of Dark Souls.
His writing is often surprisingly (dark) Fantasy, with ghouls, towers, castles, and magical elements, and perhaps more artistically these aspects of melancholy, absurdism (doubting reality), and witty, spirited darkness.

Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?
lisa glass
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edgar Allan Poe is one of my favorite writer's! After visiting the Poe museum in Richmond this year I decided to brush up on his poetry and short stories. You never know the value of enjoying it until you experience pieces you can see and touch or follow. Tell Tale Heart has always been my favorite followed by The Raven but now I have a new appreciation for Annabel Lee & To F.
Charles
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The introduction displays the truly remarkable climb and display of human tenacity from someone who had a tumultuous childhood. I would probably revisit one or two pieces of poetry from this collection, but otherwise I found it very difficult to engage with.
Plaimont
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I have always enjoyed Poe's writings, after finishing this book I have a new found respect for the author.
Kacey
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Poe's works. I had never previously read any of his poems but I'm so glad I finally did. Such an amazing writer.
Andrew Clunn
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well formatted collection

Well formatted collection

If you want a well compiled and free Poe poetry collection, then grab this. Really nothing else to be said.
Kylie Abecca
Not as gruesome as I had been told it was, but enjoyable all the same. Very well written for it's time.
Ben Staub
Poe is a depressing poet to read.
sasha
Apr 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Revision

Complete work. Trabajos completos del autor. Nunca lo había leído. Y resultó bastante interesante. Me gustó mucho. A momentos un poco aburrido
c
Heading

the author and book is good !! great books on your way back now and book a room !! nice good !!
Alaska Solo
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He

always makes me feel so much. his work was most impressive. so talenTed and amazing. his work always makes me feel alive
Rebecca Fields
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poe is brilliant as always, but what I really enjoyed in this edition was the explanation of how he wrote "The Raven" and what his thought process was when choosing words and ideas.
Mary Charest
Sep 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poets and poetry lovers.
Poe is one of my favorite poets. I read poetry in between my other books. It is soothing to me, especially when I am reading a book that is rather hard to get into.
Vprm24
  • Essays, First Series
  • Grimm's Fairy Stories
  • Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know
  • Cinderella
  • Home Vegetable Gardening -a Complete and Practical Guide to the Planting and Care of All Vegetables, Fruits and Berries Worth Growing for Home Use
  • The American Frugal Housewife: Dedicated to Those Who Are Not Ashamed of Economy
  • Dr. Heidegger's Experiment
  • Circle of Friends Cookbook: Dips & Spreads
  • Bambi
  • The Legends of King Arthur and His Knights
  • Alaeddin And The Enchanted Lamp
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
“Thou wouldst be loved?—then let thy heart From its present pathway part not; Being everything which now thou art, Be nothing which thou art not. So with the world thy gentle ways, Thy grace, thy more than beauty, Shall be an endless theme of praise. And love a simple duty.” 7 likes
“At midnight, in the month of June, I stand beneath the mystic moon. An opiate vapor, dewy, dim, Exhales from out her golden rim, And, softly dripping, drop by drop, Upon the quiet mountain top,” 3 likes