Jump to ratings and reviews

World of Warcraft #9

Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects

When Azeroth was young, the noble titans appointed the five great dragonflights to safeguard the budding world. Each of the flights' leaders was imbued with a portion of the titans' vast cosmic powers. Together, these majestic Dragon Aspects committed themselves to thwarting any force that threatened the safety of the WORLD OF WARCRAFT. Over ten thousand years ago, a betrayal by the maddened black Dragon Aspect, Deathwing, shattered the strength and unity of the dragonflights. His most recent assault on Azeroth--the Cataclysm--has left the world in turmoil. At the Maelstrom, the center of Azeroth's instability, former Horde warchief Thrall and other accomplished shaman struggle to keep the world from tearing apart in the wake of Deathwing's attack. Yet a battle also rages within Thrall regarding his new life in the shamanic Earthen Ring, hampering his normally unparalleled abilities.

Unable to focus on his duties, Thrall undertakes a seemingly menial task from an unexpected source: the mysterious green Dragon Aspect, Ysera. This humble endeavor soon becomes a journey spanning the lands of Azeroth and the timeways of history itself, bringing Thrall into contact with ancient dragonflights. Divided by conflict and mistrust, these dragons have become easy prey to a horrific new weapon unleashed by Deathwing's servants . . . a living nightmare engineered to exterminate Azeroth's winged guardians.

Of even greater concern is a bleak and terrifying possible future glimpsed by Ysera: the Hour of Twilight. Before this apocalyptic vision comes to pass, Thrall must purge his own doubts in order to discover his purpose in the world and aid Azeroth's dragonflights as they face the Twilight of the Aspects.

309 pages, Hardcover

First published July 19, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Christie Golden

155 books1,635 followers
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the young paladin who fell so far from grace will get to read his definitive story.

In June, Golden’s first Star Wars novel, also a hardcover, sees print. Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi—Omen is the second in a nine-book series she is co-authoring with Aaron Allston and Troy Denning. Also in June comes the conclusion of Golden’s StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga with the release of Twlight, the third book in the series. The first two are Firstborn and Shadow Hunters.

2004 saw the launch of an original fantasy series called The Final Dance, from LUNA Books. The first novel in the series, On Fire's Wings, was published in July of that year. The second, In Stone’s Clasp , came out in September of 2005. With In Stone’s Clasp, Golden won the Colorado Author’s League Top Hand Award for Best Genre Novel for the second time. The third book, Under Sea’s Shadow, is available only as an e-book

Golden is also the author of two original fantasy novels from Ace Books, King's Man and Thief and Instrument of Fate, which made the 1996 Nebula Preliminary Ballot. Under the pen name of Jadrien Bell, she wrote a historical fantasy thriller entitled A.D. 999, which won the Colorado Author's League Top Hand Award for Best Genre Novel of 1999.

Golden launched the TSR Ravenloft line in 1991 with her first novel, the highly successful Vampire of the Mists , which introduced elven vampire Jander Sunstar. Golden followed up Vampire with Dance of the Dead and The Enemy Within . In September of 2006, fifteen years to the month, The Ravenloft Covenant: Vampire of the Mists enabled Jander Sunstar to reach a whole new audience.

Other projects include a slew of Star Trek novels, among them The Murdered Sun , Marooned , and Seven of Nine , and "The Dark Matters Trilogy," Cloak and Dagger , Ghost Dance and Shadow of Heaven .

The Voyager novel relaunch, which includes Homecoming and The Farther Shore , were bestsellers and were the fastest-selling Trek novels of 2003. Golden continued writing VOYAGER novels even though the show went off the air, and enjoyed exploring the creative freedom that gave her in the two-parter called Spirit Walk, which includes Old Wounds and Enemy of my Enemy .

Golden has also written the novelization of Steven Spielberg's Invasion America and an original "prequel," On The Run , both of which received high praise from producer Harve Bennett. On The Run, a combination medical thriller and science fiction adventure, even prompted Bennett to invite Golden to assist in crafting the second season of the show, if it was renewed.

Golden lives in Loveland, Colorado, with her artist husband and their two cats.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
132 (4%)
1 star
18 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 118 reviews
Profile Image for Ahmad Sharabiani.
9,568 reviews55.5k followers
September 22, 2020
Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of Warcraft #9), Christie Golden

When Azeroth was young, the noble titans appointed the five great dragon-flights to safeguard the budding world. Each of the flights’ leaders was imbued with a portion of the titans' vast cosmic powers.

Together, these majestic Dragon Aspects committed themselves to thwarting any force that threatened the safety of Azeroth.

More than 10,000 years ago, a betrayal by the maddened black Dragon Aspect, Deathwing, shattered the strength and unity of the dragonflights.

تاریخ نخستین خوانش نسخه انگلیسی: روز سیزدهم ماه مارس سال 2016میلادی

عنوان: ترال: گرگ و میش سیمایان؛ نویسنده: کریستی گلدن؛ مترجم: افشین اردشیری؛ ویراستار: آهو مدیحی؛ تهران، ویدا، 1397؛ در 382ص؛ شابک 9786002911766؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان امریکایی - سده 20م

هنگامیکه ازراث جوان بود، تیتانهای نجیب، پنج اژدهای برجسته را، برای حفاظت از دنیای جوان جوانه زدند؛ هر یک از رهبران پرواز، به بخشی از قدرتهای بزرگ کیهانی تیتانها، نفوذ کردند؛ اژدها ها با هم، متعهد به خنثی کردن هر گونه نیرویی هستند، که امنیت ازراث را تهدید کند؛ پیش از ده هزار سال پیش، خیانت اژدهای دیوانه «مرگبال» اتحاد پنج سیما را از بین برد، و ...؛

در این کتاب، خوانشگر با: «ترال» بیشتر آشنا می‌شود؛ جنگ‌سالاری، که پا در سفر شناختن خویشتن بنهاده، و اگر پیروز شود، به چیزی فراتر از حد تصور بدل می‌شود، و اگر نشود، جهان بهای بسیاری بابتش خواهد پرداخت؛ او در این داستان، در این دنیای ویرانه، هرچند در قیاس، با سیمایان یا اژدهایان، و موجودات باستانی، مهره ای بسیار کوچک است، اما کلیدی‌ترین فرد است، و عجیب نیست، که جانش در خطر باشد؛ شجاعت، جادوی شمنها، و تمام نیروهایی که او می‌شناسد، قادر به نجاتش نیستند، و چیزی که در نهایت او را نجات خواهد داد، نیرویی بیکران، سرشار از عظمت و زیبایی، آمیخته با درد است...؛ چیزی به پیچیدگی عشق! کتاب «ترال: گرگ و میش سیمایان» از مجموعه وا��کرفت را انتشارات ویدا چاپ و منتشر کرده است

تاریخ بهنگام رسانی 31/06/1399هجری خورشیدی؛ ا. شربیانی
Profile Image for Brian.
24 reviews
July 26, 2011
Golden is the only author allowed to write in the World of Warcraft franchise, as she has respect for the characters, the Lore, and the fans.

In this book, we see why Deathwing is such a threat to all of Azeroth, and why Thrall stepping down as Warchief was a good thing.

Thrall has always been one of the best character in the Warcraft universe, and Golden further develops the Orc into his new role as Shaman within the Eathen Ring. Along the way, he exorcises his demons, unites the Dragonflights, and realizes he loves Aggra, a fellow Shaman.

And naturally, the door is left open at the end for more books or in game story expansion.
22 reviews1 follower
August 21, 2011
As with every other WOW book, I enjoyed it because I love the world and characters. The writing itself is only OK. Golden's strength is in the characters and their relationships. She creates some very emotional moments in this book, which makes the whole experience worthwhile. Her pacing felt good – I finished the book in a single day so obviously it drew me in. There weren't a lot of surprises, but I was entertained.

As usual it bothers me that they place so much weight of the story in these novels without even referring to them in-game – it's so disjointed. Despite that complaint, I read all the novels anyways and enjoy immersing myself more deeply into the world that I spend so much time in.
Profile Image for Scott Callaway.
Author 2 books4 followers
August 2, 2011
Christie Golden never fails to impress me.

I used to play World of Warcraft religiously and still dabble with the game occasionally but more or less for the story. That is the sole reason I have not cut ties with the World of Warcraft because I love its lore. So whenever I can get my hands on a new book that continues its story I'm all over it. "Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects" is a book worthy of praise and stays true to the fans of the game.

I originally thought it would be strange having a different author write about the Dragon Aspects since Richard A. Knaak has been a pioneer in their character development. I was wrong. The only character I found to be slightly different from the way Knaak originally portrayed her is Ysera - but nothing major. The story itself revolved heavily around the struggles of the dragonflights with, main character, Thrall being at the center of it all. Thrall's great journey of self-discovery and healing was, in my opinion, fantastic!

The story paced itself well and revealed mysteries that I've been wondering about for a long time which I am ultimately satisfied with. My only criticism is that she tried to emphasize something a little too much and it become annoying, but that's a very minor criticism. Overall the story was really great and I tip my hat to Golden. She stays true to the fans and is one of the best Warcraft novelist Blizzard has writing for them.
Profile Image for Milad.
144 reviews18 followers
October 5, 2021
"Clarity is often found in stillness"

Hour of twilight کاتاکلیسم یکی از مورد علاقه ترین دانجن های من بود. با خوندن این کتاب یاد و خاطراتی مربوط به اون روزها برای من زنده شد. عمده موضوع به نحوه کمک ترال به اژدهایان بعد از ظهور مجدد مرگبال هست. اختلال در خطوط زمانی موازی، انتخاب سیمای جدید اژدهایان آبی، کروماتوس و اژدهایان بیکران از دیگر موضوعات مطرح شده هستند.

در کل کتاب خوبی بود اما ترجمه جالبی نداشت. با وجود این که من کتاب اصلی رو نخونده بودم، خیلی جاها مشخصا اشتباه ترجمه شده بود.

"مشعلی باش که روشنایی می بخشد، آتش دانی که غذای مردم را پخته و کودکان را گرم می کند... با نابود کردنشان فرصت یادگیری راه درست را تا ابد از آنان خواهی گرفت."

پ.ن: چطوری ترال از روی اژدها از اون ارتفاع افتاد و جاییش نشکست؟:)))
Profile Image for Anika Claire.
Author 3 books42 followers
November 20, 2012
Review originally posted on The Oaken Bookcase on November 20, 2012.

This is a World of Warcraft book, so I wrote this review assuming that you have some knowledge of Azeroth and the general timeline of the Cataclysm expansion. If you don’t, this book is probably not for you, but the earlier WoW books may help you to catch up.

After the Shattering of Azeroth by the evil dragon Deathwing, the elements are in turmoil. A group of Earthen Ring Shaman, Thrall among them, are at the Maelstrom trying to calm the raging elements and prevent the fabric of Azeroth from being ripped apart.

Elsewhere, after a horrific attack on the dragons while they are meeting at Wyrmrest Temple, the dragon flights are all but defeated and the Aspects are scattered. Malygos has been slain so the blue dragons are without a leader. Alexstrasza is devastated by the loss of her mate and brood, Ysera the Awakened is still unsure what is reality and what is a dream, and the bronze aspect Nozdormu is missing in the timeways. Ysera requests Thrall’s aid to bring the flights back together and unite them against the Twilight Cult and dragons that are threatening the frozen north and the whole of Azeroth.

The timeline of the events in this book as they relate to the Cataclysm expansion itself is not explained all that well in my opinion, but from what I can tell the events take place after Deathwing’s arrival, but before the Bastion of Twilight has been faced. Some of the events that take place are reminiscent of the Hour of Twilight heroic dungeons introduced to the game at the same time as the final battle against Deathwing, but by the end of this book the “Hour of Twilight” has not yet arrived. It doesn’t seem to quite tie in with events as they are in WoW, especially with the Elemental Bonds quest chain involving Thrall and Aggra that was introduced with the Firelands patch.

Overall, there is a lot of Lore crammed into this short-ish book. Such an epic tale feels slightly rushed and lacks the detail that could have made this story truly amazing. In addition, I don’t really like Christie Golden’s storytelling style. It’s very grandiose, and while that is fine for the discussion of world-changing events, doesn’t make the characters very relatable. She also uses “Too,” at the start of sentences. I have no idea if that’s grammatically correct or not but it looked all kinds of wrong to my (un-trained) eye!

Grammar and continuity quibbles aside, I enjoyed reading about Thrall’s journey around Azeroth in his quest to help the Aspects and, ultimately, to save the world. I loved reading about the characters and places I’ve been visiting in-game for several years. There are also some very emotional events and some exciting battle scenes that really bring the plight of the dragon flights to life.

I’d recommend this one to any Warcraft Lore-nerds who could like to know more about the dragon flights and the events just after Deathwing’s return.
Profile Image for David.
54 reviews28 followers
October 16, 2015
Not a bad story all in all. It's clear that Christie Golden holds the character of Thrall in high regard,and because of this she writes about him well. There were parts early on that helped me learn more about Thrall by answering some questions I had about where he came from and how he became the war-chief of the horde. The cool part is that there are connections to other books that will help answer OTHER questions I have, so there is incentive to read more about that awesome game.

I do have a gripe that I feel is worthy of mention because, for me, it sort of takes away from being lost in the world that Warcraft has made. The gripe is the reference throughout the book about "Earth", as in earth mother, or "It's no wonder earth is in so much torment." They don't live on the planet earth, people. It's Azeroth....NOT earth. Technically speaking, characters from the game don't KNOW what earth is in the first place!

Anyway that's my complaint. Worthy? Of course it is. Worth being concerned about? Not really, but in order to completely submerge into that world it sure as heck is. It's fiction after-all but the realism that is to be portrayed in fiction writing needs to be accurate or I find myself loosing interest pretty damn fast. Hence the three star rating I gave the book.
Profile Image for Jeremy.
44 reviews3 followers
September 29, 2011
I go into this review with an admission... Thrall is not my favorite Warcraft Universe character. A book centered around him did not strike me as an interesting read, and my first notion was to skip it. But when I learned that in addition to being Thrall-centric it also covered important elements concerning the Dragon Aspects, as well as the ongoing struggles with the Twilight's Hammer, I felt compelled to take it up and give it a thorough read-through.

The result: perhaps an understandably mixed bag. Golden is in her element painting the subtleties of interactions between characters, and I found her handling of Thrall and Aggra's relationship to be quite good, something I've definitely not felt from other sources. Her depictions of dragons, and the Dragon Aspects themselves, was also very interesting... and it's always cool to see Nozdormu depicted, as he gets so very little presence otherwise.

But all of this overshadowed by my personal dislike of Thrall himself... which made it difficult for me to completely enjoy the book. Take my review with a grain of salt, especially if Thrall is one of your favorites in the Warcraft Universe. I found this book to be an interesting one, definitely required reading for the Warcraft loremaster at heart.
November 11, 2019
Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects is an excellent book to read. The plot is very interesting and it's very entertaining! The characters in the book are written pretty good and show lots of emotion and are not annoying or boring. The story also doesn't have a lot of plot convenience too, everyone in the book is not insanely strong and they have their own struggles. I enjoyed reading this book a lot, it was a fun read for sure. My favorite part of the book is when the Twilight Hammer raised the chromatic dragon, Chromatus from the dead! “It was subtle, hard to see, but one claw was opening and closing. And then the mighty tail twitched, ever so slightly. The twilight father rushed to the side of the circular floor. "He lives! He lives!"”

I would recommend this book to people who like fantasy books, and people who like World of Warcraft.
4 reviews
June 3, 2021
its good, would 10/10 recommend if you are either interested in the story of Thrall and the 4 dragon aspects or you already are familiar with the cataclysm expansion and want a deeper look into the story. The book covers Thralls life, the people he met on his journey in learning how to use the elements as well as unite the different races of the horde to come together and defeat the giant dragon that's trying to merc everyone. He also gets in close contact with the 4 dragon aspects, that at first, did not like him all too much, they elitist's. in the end everything turns out just fine like it always does, just for the world about to end again in the next xpac.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Sarah - Exploring All Genres.
219 reviews10 followers
January 19, 2013
Reader Note: I have played World of Warcraft for six and a half out of the eight years the game has been running. The big thing I have loved about the game is the lore and that’s why I go out of my way to read all the books published in this series. I play strictly on the side of the Horde and so I have a definite dislike of the Alliance, but I try to look at the books with a nonjudgmental view in regards to the two factions though my reviews may mention a dislike of this certain character or faction from time to time. I do try to not let my dislike of the Alliance from affecting the rating and review of the books as much as I can.

I had been so excited when I found this book back when it first came out. Thrall has always been one of my favorite Horde leaders, with Lady Sylvanas and Cairne Bloodhoof being the other two I absolutely loved. So to find another book that focused on this character was a great thing. Not to mention the fact that it was written by Christie Golden, who also wrote Arthas: Rise of the Lich King and The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm, both books I fully enjoyed and have read more than a few times.

Sadly though my excitement was quite quickly dashed with this. Thrall was a weak character right from the start. Sure he is no longer Warchief of the Horde, something a lot of people agree on as being a bad decision, especially since it meant Garrosh Hellscream now leaders the faction, but I didn’t expect his character to be so broken. This was not the Thrall I have come to love over the years and it disappointed me completely. But I told myself that it would get better, for surely his character would rise to the occasion and show himself to once again be the strong Orc everyone knows his to be. In a way he did, but even so it just didn’t feel right.

Now the book wasn’t all terrible. There were a few portions of it that I did enjoy, however they were so minimal compared to everything else that I didn’t feel they made up for the overall bad feeling the rest of the book gave me. I think the big issue for me, outside of Thrall character seeming so weak, constantly second guessing himself, seeming lost no matter what he did, was that he also was the solution to everything. That just seemed like poor writing to me. I get it, it was trying to show how ever though his role within the world had changed and perhaps even lessened in a way, lets face it going from the Warchief of an entire faction to a simple shaman is a huge change (even if his role among the shaman was important), that he is still important to the world even if he himself doesn’t realize it at first.

Though I had hoped that he would grow into something more like the character I have known him as in the past I was fairly disappointed with the end result. Now I will admit, that I wasn’t one hundred percent up to date with all the lore in the game since I had quit the game for a year and a half so several aspects of the lore were unknown to me, something felt very off about the lore inside this book. I don’t know if it was the writing style or just the rest of the book affecting my opinion but I did not enjoy it like I should have.

Overall I am glad I read the book as it did help fill in the gaps of lore that I wasn’t up to date on, even if I don’t know whether they were entirely accurate or not. Sure it wasn’t what I was expecting and no where near as good as it could be, but I managed to finish so it wasn’t so downright awful that I had to throw it against the wall and never finish it.
Profile Image for Vicky.
532 reviews185 followers
January 21, 2016
I've been playing World of Warcraft since shortly after launch and am most definitely a "lore-nerd." It is an vast world with great characters and epic happenings. I read this book because I wanted to read more about the continuing story of Cataclysm that isn't being portrayed in game, however...

Just as I was unimpressed by the writing in The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm, I continue to find Golden's writing juvenile and, in many places, just plain bad. I fail to understand why so many fans prefer her WarCraft novels over Knaak, and it pains me to know that authors are becoming "New York Times Bestsellers" on the skirt tails of media tie-ins. The characters seemed to lack the depth I know they have, and I felt as though Thrall's dialogue was out of character many times.

I also think that Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects fit awkwardly into the timing already in place within the game. We know it must happen before Patch 4.2 because of the appearance of at Nordrassil with Alexstrasza, Ysera and . But it seems as though some events have happened in both the novel and the patch 4.2 content, more thoughts between the spoiler tags.

I'm sure Blizzard has some reason why it all works out the way it does in the timeline, but it just didn't seem to add up as well as The Shattering did.
Profile Image for Sylvia.
19 reviews
August 2, 2011
I think the only reason I wound up enjoying the book as little as I did was because I enjoy playing World of Warcraft so much. I knew about most of the locations that were in the book (particularly Wyrmrest Temple), so it was kind of fun to see it through the eyes of some of the major NPCs of Azeroth.

The book started out fairly interesting despite some weak writing in parts, and I enjoyed the slow set-up of some of the antagonists. Then, about half-way through the book it became stale and the antagonists started behaving like children's cartoon villains. Arygos was especially disappointing after his initial introduction and interaction with Alexstrasza and Kalecgos. He seemed a competent, capable villain who turned into such a simpering wimp the moment he was in the same room as the Twilight Father who I've been told he's been around for months. Why would a dragon who is strongly of the belief that the mortal races of Azeroth are so much dirt under his feet be bowing low to a human? At least Chromatus recognized the Twilight Father was not the true leader, that it's Deathwing he and everyone else should really fear.

Speaking of the Twilight Father, he too suffers from at first appearing frightening and a definite threat to being, well, I can't believe we're scared of the Twilight Hammer in this book at all. If I hadn't been playing the game and know how vast their reach is (to the extent there's been hints they're in some pretty lofty positions of power within both the Horde and Alliance), I'd be unable to even remotely believe there was any necessity for Thrall's help at all. As it stands, Thrall winds up becoming a Gary Stu, which I suppose you can't really help in this case because he is the former Warchief of the Horde, and an awesome one at that. Still, it was hard for me to swallow the four remaining Aspects (the blues receive a new Aspect) nearly bowing down to the orc as much as they did. I get it, they're the good guys, but they're also Aspects and a little snootiness might not be out of place.

If you like the game or know the lore, you might enjoy this book, but I couldn't recommend it to anyone unfamiliar with either.
1 review
March 15, 2012
As happens with Golden, I tore through this in a day. Where Knaak tends to drag on a bit too long for my taste Golden keeps excellent pace and I had a hard time putting this book down rather than picking it up.

One thing I do like best from Knaak's novels though is Korialstrasz. And the way his death is handled in this book is a major, major problem for me. As much as I liked the book, thinking about Krasus has spoiled the story so much that I almost wish I hadn't read it, or had read it knowing the end.

Disclaimers: 1) Krasus/Korialstrasz is my favorite character. 2) I don't like character deaths unless absolutely, undoubtedly, incredibly necessary.

However of all deaths, Krasus's is one of the most heartbreaking/important and, in my opinion…it's sort of glazed over. I'm probably just stupid but after the explosion, when Kiry kind of smirks I thought that Krasus must still somehow be alive. I spent the book waiting for him to make a heroic return but 300 pages later found out, 'no, it was real, but here's why he wasn't a traitor' when, in my opinion, that was the only clear thing about it. And although we eventually see what Krasus had to go through in his final moments, I didn't really get a chance to mourn him. The double-edged sword of Golden's lightning-fast pace, I suppose.

I know it was Thrall's book and Knaak is more one to focus on Krasus, but Krasus has been around for enough books amd done so much that he actually deserved the kind of reflection Knaak tends to pile on in his books. Like I said, I'm incredibly biased, but I feel Krasus deserved much more of a send off then he got in this book—especially considering the depth of the sacrifice he made.

I think the book is probably great for you if you don't care too much about Krasus. Or about the books matching the game, which was a minor gripe I had. Thrall in the timeways was awesome and even though he is SuperOrc! (and I'm Alliance) I love him.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for ¤Leila | The Fiction Pixie¤.
103 reviews12 followers
November 2, 2012
Christie Golden is an extremely talented fantasy author. In this installment of World of Warcraft supplements, we are on the journey of one of Azeroth's most iconic characters, Thrall. As a character that is rich in lore, this book was an integral part of the Cataclysm and the events that followed her book, The Shattering.

Unlike so many of her other books, I found that this was incredibly slow paced and wasn't as gripping as I know that it could have been. This was due in part because of the style that was necessary to convey a more immersive story but it wasn't well executed. In this book Thrall is sent on a journey by Dragon 1. That journey leads him to Dragon 2 where he explains what Dragon 1 said. This then sends him on the task to meet Dragon 3 where he recounts his encounters with Dragons 1 and 2; this continues until he is repeating the same story over and over.

As I mentioned, it is believable to understand that he would be compelled to explain this but it isn't something that, as a reader, I needed to read that many times. The condensed versions of the story could seemingly erase a good 20% of the storytelling done and I would have been okay with that because I still would have had all the necessary information.

That said, Golden still maintains an excellent overview of characters and continues to surprise with her outstanding illustrations and imaginations to such a glorious fantasy world. I would recommend this story to fantasy and geek read lovers; it fits nicely into a small timeline (though not necessarily a series) that proceeds as follows: The Shattering - Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects - Tides of War.
19 reviews1 follower
October 14, 2012
Christie Golden proves again her mastery of solid Warcraft storytelling. While the novel is short and sparse, it feels good to once again wander across the face of Azeroth with Thrall, former warchief of the Horde and now a shaman seeking to heal the world's wounds suffered during the Cataclysm.

I cannot recommend this novel to anyone unfamiliar with Warcraft lore. Where one of Thrall's previous headlining novels, Lord of the Clans, could be enjoyed by anyone not familiar with Warcraft, this novel is too intertwined with events and situations beyond the story's trappings. Loose ends in the novel wrap up in the game, but no promise is given to that here in the story.

If the novel has any other shortcomings, it is that it is quite sparse and direct with its storytelling and details, never dwelling on anything and staying on them long enough to tell the story and go on. Events speak for themselves, more or less, and it is to the novel's credit that nothing feels labored. The only lapses are in the action scenes, whereby some lack the sense of purpose found in many other sections of the novel. Apart from this, one could do worse than spending a day or so in Thrall's shoes. While Thrall may be a bit of a Gary Stu at times, he's one that I never tire reading about.

Profile Image for Mostafa.
3 reviews
July 1, 2014
Thrall could not concentrate on his task beside his shaman friends in Maelstrom, so accepted Ysera's offer to find Nozdormu, the timeless Bronze dragon, and then tried to calm down alexstrasza, the life binder after loss of Kerasus, assuming his betrayal, and also help Blue dragons to replace their aspect (Malygos died in battle with other dragons, because he went crazy and decided to kill all alive being) and finally unite all dragon-flights against the twilight dragons and win the war.

He managed all those things and filled the place of Death-wing in the battle as the guardian of the earth and became an aspect.

It was odd that he could give alexstrasza a vision that the timeless ones could not, to tell him that Kerasus did not betray them, in fact, he sacrificed himself.

Anyway, it seems that Ysera could see the role of Stormrage in fighting against nightmares and also the role of Thrall in fighting against Twilight dragon.

Thrall took the name his parent had given him, Go'el and stopped being Thrall of the horde and gained his freedom.
July 12, 2015
Concerning the time fiction genre... There are a few simple rules to follow:

1. Don't do time travel if you don't know what you're doing
2. Keep in mind there are very few well-written time travel books.
3. If you are a successful writer and you have some doubts that you won't be able to write a time travel novel - don't do it.
4. If you are a successful writer, a time travel book could be a certain way to fail.
5. It would be better not to do time travel at all.

Time fiction is a very specific and a very defined genre. Writing skills is a must, of course and you should have read a lot of books of the genre. But you also ought to have a pristine logic, to understand time travel paradoxes really well. To put it simply, you must have a lot of skills to produce a time travel book. And Christie Golden, while being a good writer, failed miserably with "Thrall: Twilight of the aspects". It just sucked.
Profile Image for Amy.
20 reviews2 followers
September 23, 2011
Sometimes I wonder how these World of Warcraft books would hold up if I wasn't already so invested in the lore due to playing the game so much. The story is a bit contrived at times, but that's easy to overlook when you enjoy learning more about what is going on in the world where your game character lives.

It's no secret that Chris Metzen is in love with Thrall, and this entire expansion is basically "Thrall's Time to Shine"... so of course he's going to be very prominent in the books dealing with this time period. But I don't know... it feels very forced and out of character for him to suddenly be this hugely powerful and important person. Yes, as leader of the Horde is was powerful and important, but not on this scale. An orc raised so high he can treat with dragon Aspects on even ground is a bit much for me to swallow.
Profile Image for Håvard Bamle.
125 reviews21 followers
December 31, 2019
This book lacks almost every quality of good literature. In terms of lore, the story brings nothing to the development of the character Thrall, nor to the development of the history of Azeroth. In fact, it invents complications only to resolve them half-heartedly, leaving uncountable numbers of unsolved plotholes in their wake. The relationships in this book are superficial and unexplored. The only good thing about this are a few of the insights that are revealed, such as that there is only one true timeway, and other timeways are more like illusions that can interrupt and change the true timeway. That may save the mess that are the expansions following the Cataclysm.
Profile Image for Timothy.
34 reviews1 follower
August 16, 2011
I enjoyed this bit of fluff, being an avid WoW player. I have read all of the WoW books and Golden is one of the better writers. Knowing the lore of the vast world of Azeroth makes the story lines of playing the game so much more enjoyable. Understanding why characters do what they do is infinitely more rewarding than just hacking and slashing through the myriad of villains in a dungeons and dragons type world. This story of he Orc Thrall and the flights of the world dragons won't disappoint fans of the series.
Profile Image for John Carter McKnight.
470 reviews74 followers
November 24, 2017
I can't point to anything here I *didn't* like, and there was much that was good: Thrall's journey from Warchief to shaman, several of the dragon characters. But it didn't grip me the way her previous WoW novels have, and I can't really say why.
4 reviews
June 2, 2017
Meh

All things considered it's a good read. In my own opinion the story is a bit wild. Thrall an orc basically becomes Jesus. I mean c'mon
Profile Image for Jordan Brantley.
182 reviews2 followers
January 23, 2018
Bookworm Speaks!

World of Warcraft: Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects

by Christie Golden

Acquired: Barnes and Noble Booksellers
Series: World of Warcraft (Book 9)
Hardcover: 336 Pages
Publisher: Gallery Books (July 19, 2011)
Language: English
Subject: Science Fiction and Fantasy

****
The Story: When Azeroth was young, the noble titans appointed the five great dragonflights to safeguard the budding world. Each of the flights' leaders was imbued with a portion of the titans' vast cosmic powers. Together, these majestic Dragon Aspects committed themselves to thwarting any force that threatened the safety of the WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

Over ten thousand years ago, a betrayal by the maddened black Dragon Aspect, Deathwing, shattered the strength and unity of the dragonflights. His most recent assault on Azeroth—the Cataclysm—has left the world in turmoil. At the Maelstrom, the center of Azeroth's instability, former Horde warchief Thrall and other accomplished shaman struggle to keep the world from tearing apart in the wake of Deathwing's attack. Yet a battle also rages within Thrall regarding his new life in the shamanic Earthen Ring, hampering his normally unparalleled abilities.

The Review: If Bookworm had to choose, then Bookworm would say that the orc Thrall is probably their favorite character in all of World of Warcraft.

It has been said that the best way to develop characters is to torture them. While ‘torture’ may be a bit too far, the text succeeds in putting Thrall through great hardship and adversity. Thrall, like the world of Azeroth has undergone great changes. He has stepped down from his position as Warchief of the Horde and has joined the Earthern Ring of shamans in order to heal the sundered world. This has not been an easy transition though. Thrall has been a statesman (or orc) longer than he has been a shaman and the other shamans of the Earthen are aware of this. Even though Thrall is not power-hungry like other characters, he has grown accustomed to power, as almost anyone would be. He was Thrall! Savior of the Orcs, Warchief of the Horde! When he talked, people listened. Now though, he is among the shaman, he is almost a rookie. The other’s have been Shaman’s a lot longer than he has and while they aren’t outright hostile, they are on the same side after all

For a long time now, there were persistent rumors that Thrall would end up in romantic relationship with the human character Jaina Proudmoore, with whom they shared a close friendship for many years and was partially responsible for maintaining piece between the Horde and the Alliance. Thusly the ‘shipping’ between Thrall and Jaina lasted quite a while and was vocal component of the fandom. One that Blizzard did much care for and thusly crafted a character in order to silence the shippers and set the record straight, hence: The Orc Shaman Aggralan.

The developers pretty much admitted that was their intent and shows in regards to the character. Aggra is not the most interesting character. Bookworm actually had to consult the World of Warcraft Wiki because they could not even remember her name! Perhaps future expansions, both in the games as well as the bookshelves will develop her character. If Aggra has any hope of being as memorable as her husband, it will be a necessity.

Bookworm was rather neutral in regards to the prospect of romance between Thrall and Jaina but Blizzard would have done well to settle it one way or another, without creating such a token and forgettable character. Thankfully, Aggra is not in this book for very long and spares the reader her blandness. Tremendous strides have been made in regards to representation of female characters over the dominant male characters but Aggra needs some serious writerly love.

Final Verdict: This Book is an interesting dive into one of Warcraft’s most iconic characters. Anything not related to Thrall tends to fall to the wayside and the book as a whole suffers for it. The Thrall chapters save this book but ultimately it feels like a half-hearted attempt at chronicling World of Warcraft

The Rating:

Three Shaman Crests out of Five

thecultureworm.blogspot.com

Icon Source: https://wow.gamepedia.com/File:Shaman...
Profile Image for Callum Forsyth.
39 reviews6 followers
March 13, 2019
Emotionally charged and penetrating, Twilight of the Aspects continues Thrall's adventures during the events of Cataclysm and follows him on an intense journey that provides an incredible perspective and some important world lessons in the form of a compelling story.

Having read Twilight of the Aspects years ago, I immediately dismissed it as just a fun adventure that Thrall goes on. My re-read has actually delighted me more than I thought it would. While I can understand why some Warcraft fans tired of Thrall and his importance to the story, with the more passionate among them calling him a Mary Sue, I have to disagree with their opinions. Thrall is marred with mental and psychological hardship; he has suffered the loss of so many dear friends, assumed the mantle of leadership without necessarily wanting it and had to make many sacrifices for the good of the Horde.

Twilight of the Aspects continues what The Shattering began: it tells us the story of how Thrall is learning to not only deal with his experiences but to heal from them and to use them to become a better person. When tasked with a seemingly simple task from an entirely unexpected source, Thrall embarks on a quest that teaches him such simple yet utterly intrinsic lessons: to live in the moment, that one must follow the heart and that humility is as important in a person as strength.

Christie Golden delivers all of this in her usual spectacular fashion. She moves the story along at a comfortable speed; we never linger for too long in one section yet we spend just enough time to understand the mood and the feelings of the characters. She spares little detail in telling her story and sets up plot points that she addresses in future novels with flair, which speaks to her incredible foresight. On the whole, Twilight of the Aspects was a pleasant re-read from years ago and is definitely worth picking up for fans of the Warcraft universe.
Profile Image for Trey Stone.
Author 4 books165 followers
December 19, 2018
This was absolutely amazing - and though I love all the Warcraft books written by anyone - Golden is simply superb.

To give you some plot: Thrall, former warchief of the Horde, now shaman of the Earthen Ring, is given a personal quest, by none other than Ysera, Aspect of the green dragonflight. Thrall must leave the Earthen Ring and his duties to heal Azeroth to go find Nozdormu, Lord of the Bronze dragons and Aspect of the bronze dragonflight, who's gone missing. But Nozdormu isn't missing just anywhere - being the Timeless One and guardian of the timeways - he is of course missing in time. With the help of first the green dragons, then the bronze dragons, Thrall ventures into the timeways, looking for Nozdormu and along the way he comes face to face not just with own past, but his past friend's futures as well as horrible alternate realities.

The conclusion of this quest accumulates in the clashing of new Aspects, Deathwing, The Twilight Father, abominable twilight dragons, and a horrid revelation of the interconnectedness of all of it and the evil forces behind it.

To sum up, this is an amazing story with Thrall at the center, learning about his life from infant to warchief to shaman, while the whole of Azeroth is on the brink of destruction.

I'll say it again, I love Christie Golden, her writing is just superb - and to have her write a big background story like this on Thrall, where we explore the past, the future, alternate timeways is just my every dream come true. Thrall is such a loveable character, a strong and deadly warrior at one end of the spectrum, but a caring, loving thinker at the other. Is arc is incredible to follow, and he's had such an impact in this world that I've loved for the last 20 years, that every story about him is a gift for me.
Profile Image for Alaa Abdel-Rahman.
105 reviews6 followers
November 20, 2017
To all the fans of World of Warcraft, you will not be disappointed. The story of one of Azeroth's most beloved characters Go'el son of Durotan and Draka, continues in this extract from the Cataclysm series of events (WoW fans would be familiar). The story follows Shaman and ex-Warchief of the Horde, Go'el aka Thrall on his journey to discovering an inner peace he so desperately needs in order to heal a world fractured by the Cataclysm brought upon by Drathwing, the Dragon Warden of Earth, one of five Dragon Aspects called upon by Azeroth's Titans to protect the world. While I won't be spoiling the details surrounding the story itself, the events surrounding "Twilight of the Aspects" have an unusual balance between sped up events to a point where you might have to go back a few pages or chapters to remember, and slow paced thoughts of Thrall. The interaction between the characters is lovely, hearty and placed into the the moment although sometimes overplayed with the cheesiness. Two major issues that arise while reading this book is (1) Thrall is too much of a goodie two shoes for my taste; no one could be that "perfect" (2) the magic and description of the mythos involved in the story was a bit weak in my opinion. What I liked about the writing though is that the locations and sensations felt by the characters hit where it stung. Visualization was not a problem in this book.
Overall, I enjoyed this book tremendously and it was a page turner for the most part. Although the start was very slow and fleet like another dull book, Christie Golden doesn't take her time throwing us in the sped Timeways of Nozdormu and giving plenty to enjoy and a thirst for more.
Profile Image for Albert Sr..
Author 14 books15 followers
September 7, 2021
(Copy from my IG @agamundisr_escritor)

Konnichiwa to all readers 🌸

Today I bring you a new novel review in English. It's about Christie Golden's Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (again). This time we have a story with some narrative clichés but of a magnificent narrative quality. With that said, we begin:

🐉The story begins with the orc shaman Thrall struggling to fulfill his new role of sealing The Maelstrom with the Ring of Earth, an apolitical shamans association. Defeated by the mistake made, the protagonist receives a visit from the dragon Aspect of Life, Ysera, who requires his help.

🐉The plot is developed with a magnificent syntax that does not skimp on details of settings and characters, while maintaining a fast-paced and entertaining rhythm that immerses you fully in reading.

🐉 Regarding the characters, I consider that the author has given a very good development to most of the cast. However, the evolution of the protagonist to abandon his slave name, and the weight of being the former head of The Horde that he carries, is treated with magnificence.

🌸Conclusion: In this apocalyptic fantasy novel we find a plot with some classic clichés of this kind of literature. However, there are aspects such as the work of alternative timelines, the power of a nickname over a person or the measuring sticks to determine a leader. That said, I give this novel top marks due to its complexity and the even more intense experience I have had reading the work in the original language.

Rating: 5 / 5🌸

Arigato gozaimasu for your time 🌸
Profile Image for DomoKete.
117 reviews5 followers
August 3, 2017
Simple tale of heroic fantasy. The world of Azeroth is crumbling. The orc shaman Thrall undertakes a quest given to him by Ysera, the green dragon aspect. The quest takes him on a journey to save the world and also himself.

The hero worship is over done. Thrall can do no wrong. Even worse, the solutions to every problem are almost nothing to do with Thrall himself. One exception is when Thrall is being a basic psychologist to ancient beings of great power. The simpleness of the advice and resolutions is ridiculous.

The descriptions of the environments are lacking. There is an expectation that the reader knows what different locations look like. My own memory of the computer game is hazy. I had to search on the internet to see what the novel was referring to. There is a lot of pre-existing lore to the Warcraft world but I understand most of it needs to be assumed.

There are powerful moments wasted by simplisitic conflict resolution. Throughout the story are several key emotional moments. In these cases, the dialog and scenes are well written. Some characters also face dark personal choices. At other times, during strategy or action scenes, the dialog becomes childish. The villains also have no real motivation except being evil.
April 19, 2021
This was the first Warcraft book I ever read. I was not really into reading, although I've been into the Warcraft universe since 2007. And here's the interesting thing about this book and Warcraft books in general: I FREAKIN' LOVED IT.

No, I don't think you get it, before this book I was reading like 1 or 2 books per year. Literally, reading was not on my to-do list. But somehow, I read this book in a week?! Tf?!

Here's the thing, books that are written on an established universe are much more "action-packed". For example, J.R. Tolkien took his time to describe where our heroes are going. You would read an entire page describing the scenery. However, Christie will not spend an entire page telling you how Arathi Highlands look BECAUSE YOU'VE BEEN THERE A MILLION TIMES AND GOT KILLED BY RED RAPTORS AND HUGE SPIDERS. I believe these types of books are targeting people who already play the Warcraft games.

Twilight of the Aspects was the first book that got me started on reading the Warcraft Lore. It's a great book that answers a lot of questions that the in-game quests can't answer.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 118 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.