Start by marking “Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4)” as Want to Read:
Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4)

Sorceress of Darshiva

(The Malloreon #4)

Sorceress of Darshiva: Book Four of The Malloreon, by Eddings, David
Published November 18th 1989 by Del Rey Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Sorceress of Darshiva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorceress of Darshiva

MrsJoseph
I find it rather strange that The Belgariad and The Malloreon are my favorite series. I read this series every year [at least] but I still see so many issues in the way women are characterized. But it’s still my favorite series. When I have reading slumps or I’m feeling out of sorts, this is the series that I always turn to. I see it’s faults (characterization, slow pace, repetition, etc) but I still love it. And I recommend it (to people who like old school Fantasy) quite often. So even though ...more
S. Pearce
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like fantasy, aren't troubled by uncomplicated plots, don't really mind that characterisation is pretty thin, then you will like this book. Most of the characters are annoyingly smug. I think my favourite character of them all is the wolf, who appears towards the end of the book, because her simple understanding of the world about her is a fresh change from the frequent smarmy comments of the other characters. It might sound like I didn't enjoy this book, but I did. This is because I read ...more
Jane Jago
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warming up nicely now. But I still wish Garion had a bit more side to him...
Nate
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fluffy, silly, and fun

The Malloreon books are, let's be honest, not incredibly well written. All the main characters have started to sound the same, they all use the same idioms and expressions, and things got far too well for them. It's like a band of Mary Sues.

I still love this book.

It's fun to read, the events and writing are fun and good enough to be enjoyable. It's not war and peace, but it's still a fun read.
Sotiris Karaiskos
Shortly before the end, in the fourth book in the series, our heroes continue to roam in the war zone, trying to make sense out of the various prophecies to be able to find the place of the final confrontation. Of course this work is not easy at all, but it slowly seems to be getting untagled and they understand what they have to do. In short, there is not much happening and the book is more a preparation for the last one where everything will be decided. In general, however, I feel that the ser ...more
Jonel
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the in depth history and geography that Eddings develops here. I could easily picture travelling alongside the characters while they were on their quest. The sense of inevitability was inescapable. The different uses of the will & the world kept me entertained as the increasing intensity of the plot had me glued to the pages.

The characters were a lot of fun too. I truly enjoyed the time I spent with them. I love how each of them stood out on their own, yet really fit together as a gr
Bret
Murat Kahveci
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Serinin 4. kitabı. Diğer 3 kitapta olduğu gibi bu kitapta karakterlerin iyi işlenmesi aralarda sürpriz olaylar olması ile kendisini okutturuyor. Bu serinin bir filmi yapılsa ne güzel olurdu diye geçiyor insanın aklından.
Narilka
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Sorceress of Darshiva is the fourth book in The Malloreon by David Eddings. The never ending quest! Trouble and delays seem to plague Garion and the party in their efforts with Zandramas always staying one step ahead. With Demon Lords and enemy forces on one side and agents of Emperor Zakath trying to capture them on the other, the party will need to hurry if they want to make it to the Place Which Is No More in time. Assuming Belgarath can figure out what that phrase means.

This volume is all ab
Sam
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the fourth in the Malloreon series this book sees things get serious, setting up the characters and the story for the finale to come. Here our intrepid crew manage to uncover an undamaged version of the Ashabine Oracles, a vital piece of the puzzle that leads them to the next stage in their quest and the very thing that allows Garion to see the truth behind what he might have to sacrifice to stop Zandramas' plans. As our heroes continue their quest war breaks out amongst the various factions ...more
Michelle
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the Bellgraid and the Malloreon about 10 years ago now, so my memory isn't up to a synopsis of the series or anything, but I did highly enjoy them then, they still grace my shelves now, and I hope to reread them in the near future.

These books are great for the reader that enjoys fantasy series reading (so if you prefer a one off, try something else). They develop an amazing story and history that kept me engaged. The two series are intimately related/connected. The world is more of a high
Denae Christine
Out of all the battles they had, someone finally got injured! Bruised. For a couple days. And it wasn't even an important character.
Okay, so I find books more interesting when characters have to struggle through injuries every now and then.

Very repetitive. Attacks, storms, lots of traveling, any problems are solved in a chapter or two. It felt like a bunch of miniature episodes of adventure instead of one super-duper long one. Not even a middling sized one. If they had come up against the demons
Mattias
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eddings Sagan om Mallorea är ett intressant verk och mot slutet av serien blir det väldigt tydligt att ingen av böckerna står sig speciellt bra för sig själva. Att hela serien är ett verk som ska betraktas och läsas tillsammans är inte ovanligt, men extra tydligt i det här fallet. I takt med att berättelsen knyts ihop och upplösningen nalkas så förklaras också mycket av de händelser och skeenden som byggt upp de tidigare böckerna. Lite oväntat, men det här är en bra bok, och lämnar en spänd förv ...more
Mollie Clarke
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fitting lead up to the final book. A lot happens in this book, some of which will be a interesting but pleasant surprise to the reader. Nearing the end of their journey Garion and his friends find themselves in a lot of sticky situations in this book. An enjoyable and exciting read for a book which may be considered the hardest to get right. I can't wait to read the last and final book of the series.
Matt Braymiller
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-reread
Of the five book in the Malloreon series, this one is probably the slowest. SO many things need to happen, and Eddings shoved many of them into this volume to set up the final confrontation in the last book. As such, this one can be a bit disjointed in its pacing. But, it has the epic scene with Durnik in it, so of course I like it. On to the last book! I wonder if it will end the same way as the last time I read it?
Alan Gallagher
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I read these books as a kid and they were great then. As I've grown older, I've noticed the detracting factors from the quality of writing to the originality of the story - but my nostalgia wins through. This series - The Mallorean - does not have as many good qualities as the first, but again, nostaglia. This series will always be a classic for me. Will update once I've read them again.
 ☆Ruth☆
Still very much enjoying this five-book series and now look forward to the final denouement in the last of this epic.
For anyone thinking of reading the Malloreon I would suggest you get the whole set, since each book is a continuation of the story and they are more like five parts of the whole, than separate books.
Nov 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Have I mentioned how nifty it is to have the Main Evil Guy be, in fact, a woman? And not a shriveled old crone of a woman, even?

I didn't know Leigh Eddings died in February of this year. Thank you, Leigh, for making sure we got as many good female characters as males in these series.
May 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
The ongoing challenges facing our Heroes continue to grow in danger and the levels of deceit reach new heights. We meet a new disciple and a new prophet. Things are a changing!
Mark Oppenlander
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Before starting this review, I read a few plot summaries of this book to refresh my memory (I've since started the fifth book in the series and I didn't want to conflate them) and I also read a few reviews, just to see what some other people thought. These actions confirmed two things for me: First, that there isn't actually all that much plot in these novels and second, that there is a lot of repetition of themes and ideas.

The fourth installment of The Malloreon finds our heroes in the far East
Stacey
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Thoughts after a reread a decade later.
There is a lot of travel in this book, much through a war zone. Everyone has plenty of witty dialogue to share & we learn up close more about the Karands & the Melcenes. I love the Melcenes.
We also learn more about the Nadraks as Yarblek, Silk's partner and Vella, Yarblek's woman appear in it more often than others. Queen Porenn of Drasnia spends some time teaching wild & free Vella how to be a lady. I cannot for the life of me figure out how Na
Zach P.
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Sorceress of Darshiva,book four of the Malloreon series, by David Eddings is about a man named Belgarion who gathers a large group of differently talented people and they go to catch the thief who kidnapped Belgarion's son to fulfill the dark prophecy instead of the light. however, the thief isn't the only thing they have to worry about. Their party is also being chased by an over-religious disciple of the dark god Torak who Belgarion killed in the previous series, The Belgariad. As Belgario ...more
Dark-Draco
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fourth book in the series - Garion is still chasing Zandramas, hoping to get his son back, but the prophecies are working on making sure he only does so when the time is right. From the island on Melcena, they travel slowly towards Kell, the one place where they can find out where the Place Which Is No More actually is. On the way, they find a copy of the Ashabine Oracles that neither Torak nor Zandramas tampered with, but what they learn there only adds to their worries, especially as Torak ...more
G. Salter
The writing style is good, the humor is still there, but the plot is flat. It's just the same old characters, doing the same old things they've been doing for nine books now, and I really don't care that much about them anymore. Entertaining enough to read, but only if you have nothing better to do.
James
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review here:

At this point in the series, one can't help but feel like the author is using the old Indiana Jones method of using an arrow on a map to move people along, with mosquito stops everyone on the map.
Carmen
Reyes
Daisy
Amanda
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Mallorean series is most certainly significantly weaker than the Belgariad. This feels like a novel with an awful lot of wandering around and not many key events.
Dayna
A well written book. Enjoyed reading it.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Sorceress of Darshiva [Sept 20, 2019] 1 5 Oct 17, 2018 05:28AM
The Nerd Herd: Sorceress of Darshiva 1 6 Feb 22, 2014 01:52PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Rise of a Merchant Prince (The Serpentwar Saga, #2)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • The Paladin of the Night (Rose of the Prophet, #2)
  • The Power That Preserves (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #3)
  • The Tangle Box (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #4)
  • Winds of Fury (Valdemar: Mage Winds #3)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he achie

The Malloreon (5 books)
  • Guardians of the West (The Malloreon, #1)
  • King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)
  • The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #5)
“Isn't it easier to forgive than to hate?
-Eriond”
53 likes
“Belgarath turned back to Senji. “All right,” he said. “The Sardion came to Zamad. How?”
“It’s said to have fallen out of the sky.”
“They always do,” Beldin said. “Someday I’d like to see something rise up out of the earth –just for the sake of variety.”
51 likes