Start by marking “Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)” as Want to Read:
Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)

Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon #3)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  33,625 Ratings  ·  244 Reviews
Captives of His Imperial Majesty...

Zandramas had stolen King Garion's infant son and fled to use the child in some ritual that would make the Dark Destiny supreme. Garion and his friends had followed, but now they were captives of Zakath, Emperor of Mallorea, who, while friendly, stubbornly refused to let them leave.

Meanwhile, a horde of demons was ravaging the cities thr
Published 1989 by Corgi (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Demon Lord of Karanda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demon Lord of Karanda

Another Malloreon [re]read!

I've read this series so many times that writing reviews for it is beyond "difficult."

I've already mentioned that this series (and the Belgariad before it) has sexism issues.

Demon Lord of Karanda has those issues plus a very basic plot concern that flows through to the rest of the series (and some later books): The Belgarath/Rivan King lineage.

Polgara and Belgarion are descended from Belgarath and his wife, Poledra. When reading The Belgariad and The Malloreon the r
Jane Jago
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hitting up nicely now
Brecht Denijs
Another great addition to the series, not much new to report though that isn't necessarily a bad thing! I will say this: it is incredible how Eddings can surprise you with his characters. You finally meet characters they've been talking about since The Belgariad and they turn out to be nothing like you imagined them. A very enjoyable twist. You have this idea of a fairly standard villain in mind and the next thing you know your hypothesis is completely and unexpectedly blown out of the water. A ...more
Petter Häggholm
The Malloreon feels like a pretty tired reiteration of The Belgariad. Of course, it is explicitly so and is up front in stating that it is intentional, by the means of cyclic prophesies. Nevertheless, while The Malloreon is by no means terrible, all the good stuff it has on offer was already presented, fresher, in its prequel series.
Nov 11, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
And then we have the book where Our Heroes tromp all over the (eastern) continent, killing time until book four.

Just enjoy the witty banter along the way.
Feb 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: high-fantasy
Originally published on Once Upon a Bookcase.

David Eddings' Malloreon series gets even more exciting in the third book, Demon Lord of Karanda. This book involves a lot more intrigue and manoeuvring in order for Garion and his companions to get away from Zakath. Zakath and Garion have become friends, and although he's not exactly keeping them prisoner, he's adamant that no-one leave Mal Zeth - as he intends to accompany them - until his armies arrive from Cthol Murgos to deal with the troubles in
Matt Braymiller
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-reread
This is a wonderful novel. It brings us half way through the Malloreon cycle and Eddings is still bringing in new story elements. In my opinion, it is between this book and The Diamond Throne as the best novel he ever wrote.

This book gives us a lot of exposure to Beldin, another of my favorite Eddings characters. His own self-deprecating manner and the snark with which he treats the others hides a sea of emotion deep as can be, as shown in the relationship between he and Belgarath. The love thos
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eddings. Enough said.

Questing, snarking between male and female characters, adequate fight scenes, full to the brim of nostalgia.
S. Pearce
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If a good story is worth telling, it's worth telling a thousand times. Eddings seems to agree with this philosophy. This is not a criticism. I read fantasy for fun and escapism, and that is exactly what Eddings supplies!
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Demon Lord of Karanda is the third book in The Malloreon by David Eddings. The quest continues! More has been revealed about their journey. It seems the prophecy may require an Angarak king be in attendance as well as some sort of "sacrifice." It's obvous now how Zandramas plans to use Garion's son, making it more important for the party to rescue him. If only Zakath, Emperor of Mallorea, could be reasoned with to let them continue onwards. Urvon, in his effort to make a play for the Sardion, ha ...more
Jonel Boyko
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is breathtaking, in a dark sort of way. Eddings is a visually and intellectually descriptive author, appealing to readers on many levels. Different plot lines intricately weave together to form an unforgettable whoel. I love how little tidbits of info appear at the most unique of times, feeding into the story as a whole. The intricacy of the plot was phenomenal.

I enjoyed how Eddings lets you get to know each of the separate peoples and cultures of this world. The in depth introductio
I am writing the same review for the entire Malloreon as it is nearly impossible to pick out each book from the series as if it were a stand alone novel; they all tie together and build on one another.

For me, this series was not as good as the Belgariad. In part, I think, the opinion is a function of the fact that I was several years older reading the Malloreon than reading the Belgariad. However, even as I re-read occasionally as an adult I think the first series was better than the second.

Andrew Leon
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's great to re-visit the characters from The Belgariad and see them in action again; unfortunately, that's the best thing that can be said about the series. It's not that it's bad; it's a completely enjoyable read. However, Eddings fails to move forward with his writing and, instead, gives us what is essentially the same plot from The Belgariad over again. If you've read The Belgariad and loved it, you should certainly read The Mallorean, as well. If you're hoping for something new, though, mo ...more
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
As the third in the Malloreon series this one is packed with action, from one on one fights to all out battles with an added dose of desperation as Zandramas uses Garion's son to control both him and Ce'nedra making their actions unpredictable and dangerous. If this isn't enough there is of course the bigger story that all the world could be destroyed if the wrong decisions are made and the wrong action taken. But worry not, Polgara, Belgarath and Silk are on hand to lighten the mood with their ...more
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, fantasy
Amazing, fast-paced read that you just can't bring yourself to put down. Hands down my favourite in the wonderful Malloreon series. The supporting cast are, as usual, absolutely hilarious, and the rush to save Geran becomes increasingly tense and gripping with the threat posed by the demons and the plague. Zakath, despite his flaws, is irresistably charming, and the grudging respect and friendship developing between him and Garion is one of the biggest highlights of the novel.
This book dragged a bit for me -- not sure if it's actually any worse in quality than any other book in the series or I'm just getting a bit tired of the repetition -- but it gets to where it's going in the end. Several of the climactic scenes are very satisfying. (Honestly I love every single Poledra cameo and would forgive a lot for her appearances. And I love Vella.)
2.5 stars, nista vise od toga.
Dejvid Edings ume da osmisli rase, njihove religije i ponasanje, ali ipak ponekada citaocu dodje da povrati od dosade...
Osim putovanja, putovanja i putovanja nicega drugog nije bilo u ovom delu Malorijade, osim iznenadjujuce pojave Belgaratove, davno nestale supruge do cijeg znacaja tek treba doci...
Nadam se da ce sledeci deo serijala biti znatno zanimjivilji...
May 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
In this book, the third in the sequelling series to the Belgariad, events really take it up a notch. We have some new characters appear in the form of demons and a new added danger to our Heroes and their quest. We have added humour in the form of mischievous kittens and the distractions they offer in councils of war and other such occasions.

Time to continue on with the adventure!
Vinay Keerthi
This was rather slow. Or it could be the fact that. I've been busy. I like the fact that I guessed Beldin was in the book. I like guessing things in fantasy novels. That's why they're fun. Yet, this was rather boring.
Anne Wright
demon lord of Karanda by David Eddings

I give this book 5 stars

I loved this book fabulous I have read this set of books many times
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is the third of 'The Mallorean' series, a sequel to Eddings' 'Belgariad' series, and as such includes all the major characters of that previous series albeit several years later, plus several new ones.

The plotline is surpringsly similar to the first series: something important has been stolen and Garion and his friends must traverse the world to recover it lest the world be destroyed.

In this case the important thing is Garion's new-born son, who has been abducted by a Grolim preistess
Andrew Wilson
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

In an adventurous sequel to THE MALLOREAN, David Eddings tells the story of King Garion's abducted infant son and his efforts to save him. Unfortunately, he and his friends are detained by the friendly, but determined Zakath, who refuses to let them leave. As a horde of demons ravage the Cities and a plague lets loose its terrors, Garion has little time left to reach his destination, or the kidnapper wins by default.

### From Library Journal

The trial of the sorceress Zandramas leads Garion and

Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoy reading these books, they have everything that make a good book: great well characterized characters, great story, good dark humor, great witty dialogues, packed with adventure and travels, great created world with each race, etc. Even though one may be scared of the 5 books to read they actually read too fast for my taste. I've heard some complaining that the books are too "light" but I like it this way. It's a serie I love rereading and being thrown back into with these deliciou ...more
Eric Moreno
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mark Austin
With Lord of the Rings under my belt, I was hungry for more of this 'fantasy' thing I'd discovered. Enter the Belgariad. I consumed the two five-book series in a few months, getting in trouble in school for reading when I should have been paying attention (I either didn't care or had already done the homework for whatever it was they were teaching while they were teaching how to do it).

When complete, I read the whole series again in half the time. Then again in half that. The half-lives continue
It's clear that The Mallorean takes a more serious tone when it comes to the subject of religion, but Eddings also seems to drench much of it within philosophy. His characters, at least, represent at least one different set of philosophical ideals (though I have now decided that Silk is largely a quaintly sarcastic misanthrope).

Philosophy and religion take too much out of Demon Lord of Karanda, I think, since most of the time the novel was filled with the characters just sitting there discussing
Sven Mysterioso
Here we are in the middle of the second five-book epic by Eddings about Belgarion, the Rat, the Bear, and all the rest.

It's a great series, from start to finish, I freely and happily admit. This one gets a bit bogged down though.

Its almost as if the writer and publisher discussed the Mallorean... "well, the first series was five books. So this one is too, a no brainer." "yeah, but I am not sure this story is five books long." "hmm, well, lets pad out the middle with some side quests and some int
Eddings tries to write strong female characters, but he has a tendency to give them each *one* strong trait, and then conform the rest of their personalities to very stereotypical categories. The one person who gets squeamish after a fight is the one woman who he allows to actually participate in a fight. And after she gets squeamish, one of his other characters says, "she's only a girl." Really??? And after all these years of adventuring, nobody has ever thought (including Ce'Nedra herself) tha ...more
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoyable book. I am getting very anxious to see the outcome of this adventure filled journey that Garion is once again faced with.
Great characters in this book. The further development we see with our old favorites (Silk, Polgara, Durnik and Belgarath) and the introduction of new characters that is adding a great deal of enjoyment to the story. I think that Velvet and Sadi are great additions to the questing team. I am still not sure what to think of Eriond. Most of the time I forget he is eve
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
I'm disappointed in Mr. Eddings. The characters aren't who they're supposed to be and are acting very contrary to their natures and personalities set up in The Belgariad. It's as if I don't know them anymore. The trend seems to be that most of the characters are becoming more and more like Silk, sarcastic, sardonic, and annoying. Also, the plot seems to be moving so slowly. There are things happening which aren't necessary and just serve as distractions and wastes of time. It seems like there is ...more
The Nerd Herd: Demon Lord of Karanda 1 4 Feb 22, 2014 01:50PM
  • Rise of a Merchant Prince (The Serpentwar Saga, #2)
  • Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #5)
  • Storm Rising (Valdemar: Mage Storms, #2)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • Test of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #3)
  • Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3)
  • The Bishop's Heir (Histories of King Kelson, #1)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he achie
More about David Eddings...

The Malloreon (5 books)
  • Guardians of the West (The Malloreon, #1)
  • King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4)
  • The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Lion Hunter (The Lion Hunters, #4)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Forge of God (Forge of God, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Winter Prince (The Lion Hunters Novels)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
“I've looked at the world for quite a few years now and I've found that if I don't laugh, I'll probably end up crying."
- Prince Kheldar of Drasnia”
“Impatience is a poor substitute for a well-considered plan.” 27 likes