Start by marking “Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day

Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day (Encyclopedia Brown #7)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  1,300 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
As Idaville's ten-year-old star detective, Encyclopedia has an uncanny knack for trivia. With his unconventional knowledge, he solves mysteries for the neighborhood kids through his own detective agency. But his dad also happens to be the chief of the Idaville police department, and every night around the dinner table, Encyclopedia helps him solve some of the most baffling ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Puffin Books (first published 1970)

Madeline
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"Well, this is embarrassing... "

This one totally whipped me!! I solved 2* out of 10! That has to be my worst track record yet.

Still, I loved the (frustrating) challenges. All of the stories in this one are pretty difficult, but as always, super fun and well-written. I just love Encyclopedia's witty comments, and #7 was chock-full of them.

Something interesting about this one is that almost all of the stories were about kids bringing their problems to the Brown Detective Agency. Not one was about
Julesmarie

Back again to obscure knowledge cases. I did learn some things from this one, though: phone numbers used to have letters in them, but Z was never one of those letters; and people used to have to sharpen sewing machine needles by sewing through sandpaper. Craziness! :P

My favorite mystery in this one would probably be The Case of the Flying Boy just because it's one of the very few that can be solved with logic.

Mike
Another 8 good mysteries. I was a little disappointed that some of the tales relied on some rather obscure knowledge, like (view spoiler). Otherwise, solid Encyclopedia, guaranteed at least one bad pun per chapter!
Roslyn Ross
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Encyclopedia Brown. Can't stand his partner, Sally, who is a bully but is a "good guy" because she bullies the bullies. She's a social justice fascist straight out of South Park.

My five-year-old can't get enough of these books.
Amanda
It was weird listening to this on audio, but some horrible person with no soul ripped all the solution pages out of the paperback that I had on loan from the library. Sounds like something Bugs Meany would do. Amiright?
Michelle Skinner
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: student-books
If you like kid detectives, this is the book for you. Encyclopedia Brown sets up shop in his garage and charges 25 cents per day plus expenses. No case is too small for Encyclopedia, who's real name is LeRoy. This book is a collection of cases Encyclopedia accepted. He even helps his Dad, Chief Brown, with bigger cases in Idaville, but no one knows but the family.

What I enjoy about Encyclopedia Brown stories is the author doesn't give you the answer to the problem. You get to think about the inf
Elisabeth
Dec 28, 2012 added it
Shelves: books-i-own

Leroy Brown is back in the next six books in the Encyclopedia Brown series. As Idaville’s ten-year-old star detective, Encyclopedia has an uncanny knack for trivia. With his unconventional knowledge, he solves mysteries for the neighborhood kids through his own detective agency. But his dad also happens to be the chief of the Idaville police department, and every night around the dinner table, Encyclopedia helps him solve some of the most baffling crimes. With ten confounding mysteries in each b

Stina
Apr 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids who like mysteries
Book #14 for 2011.

Meeting Mr Sobol when I was in the 3rd grade is what got me interested in writing my own mystery stories, and Encyclopedia Brown was my first literary crush. So it was fun to re-visit one of my favorite characters from my childhood. I'm pleased to see that these stories are being reprinted, but I have to wonder what modern kids make of the somewhat outdated dialogue and technology. Do they even know what a telephone dial *was*?
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I recommend Encyclopedia Brown. I was 8 when I first encountered this series. I loved it. It was recommended by a boy that I liked. What I liked about these books is that it taught me how to think before making wild guesses. Each book had several cases which were easy to read and follow for a child. I recommend this to any parent looking for helping their child to use logic and deductive reasoning. Great on how to look at relevant facts at a child's level.
Sheri S.
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Encyclopedia Brown solves all sorts of problems...a theft at the toy store, recovery of a missing bicycle wheel, discouraging a young boy from jumping off the roof, etc. As usual, the mystery can be solved if one pays attention to the details.
(I'm a bit worn out from listening to all these books...I'm happy to report that we have exhausted our library's collection of Encyclopedia Brown audiobooks.) :)
Kimberly Neff
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-230
This book would be good for an older elementary classroom or younger middle school classroom. I like the fact that it is divided into individual stories about the goings-on of Encyclopedia Brown. I remember reading this book when I was younger and loving the idea of trying to figure out the answers to each mystery before it was resolved. It definitely allows for students who read it to have an opportunity for some deeper level thinking.
Liam Fitzmaurice
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are always so much fun to read. I have always loved these books since my dad first read it to me. These books for some reason have always been my favourite because of the thrill of solving the mystery by your self. As this may have been a pretty easy read for me now these books will never lose their touch.
Caleb
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. There's one kid who goes on a rowboat with him cause he thinks he's found a treasure map. The kid who owns the rowboat makes a copy of the map and then makes every one wet. Then he digs for the treasure and he keeps on digging.. But Encyclopedia Brown knows it's just a fake treasure map so he lets him dig for another hour before actually telling him it isn't a real treasure map.
HeavyReader
I really liked to read the Encyclopedia Brown books (and probably read more than just this one), but they always frustrated me because I could never solve the mystery. Now I was a smart kid, a total bookworm, had lots of miscellaneous, useless knowledge and I never solved a single Encyclopedia Brown mystery. That Encyclopedia Brown kid had to be too good to be true.
Mskychick
Reread Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs
This is a placeholder, or rather a place counter, since stupid GoodReads does not allow one to count re-read books towards one's total book read count for the year.
Even though I've read the book before, I READ THE d&$n BOOK THIS YEAR, AND IT COUNTS TOWARD MY F%KING COUNTS!
Stupid Goodreads *grumble, grumble*
Angela
Mar 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as a kid. I loved the simple detective work, yet was mystified (as a kid) on how he sovled the problems. I am reading it again for a light read. I can now solve the problems with out having to read how he solved it. :)
Maggie
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You'll like this book if you like solving mysteries. There's 10 mysteries in EACH of the Encyclopedia Brown books that you can solve. And just in case you don't solve them, there's the answers in the back.
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've not been much of a mystery fan as an adult, but I loved this series, and read the ones in our library several times.
Noodle
May 07, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recently I made an Encyclopedia Brown reference and no one knew what I was talking about. "Who is Bugs Meany?" they asked. Jeez, what planet did you grow up on.
Catherine Woodman
I loved the Encyclopedia Brown series as a kid, tho' I could not get any of my kids fired up about them
Martha
Mar 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Devoured these books as a kid.
Gina
Finished 9/19/16
Mike
Oct 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We've been reading through the Encyclopedia Brown books. The kids like trying to solve the mysteries. They are getting pretty good at figuring them out.
Barbara
This was about a smart boy, and I really wanted to meet one.
Prince Bolt
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I though it was epic
Lauren
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, mystery
The cases in these books did not hold up with time. I remember loving these books when I was a kid but I guess you can't go back.
Timothy Boyd
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are fantastic books. I loved them as a kid. You can solve the mysteries along with Encyclopedia Brown, all the clues are in the story. They make you think. Very recommended for young readers
Nora
Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-reading
Own. I liked the Case of the Junk Sculptor best.
Lily
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • Deadwood City (Choose Your Own Adventure, #8)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • The Hooded Hawk Mystery (Hardy Boys, #34)
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • The Adventures of the Great Brain (Set Of 5 Books)
  • Double Trouble Squared
  • Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #5)
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
  • Mystery at the Washington Monument (Capital Mysteries #8)
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...

Encyclopedia Brown (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Lends a Hand (Encyclopedia Brown, #11)