Start by marking “The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  805,563 Ratings  ·  49,757 Reviews
When Thomas wakes up in the life, the only thing he can remember is his first name. He has no recollection of his home or how he got where he is. His memory is blank. When the lift's doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade, a large expanse enclosed by stone walls. Just like Thomas, the Gladers don't know how they got to the Glade. A ...more
Audio CD, Library Edition, 11 pages
Published 2009 by Listening Library

To ask other readers questions about The Maze Runner, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Linda It never gets better. NEVER! >_>

Izzy
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tween boys
Shelves: ya, wanted-to-like-it
This book was recommended for fans of the Hunger Games series, a series that has become one of my favorites. I began The Maze Runner excitedly, hoping for an equally enjoyable, dystopian adventure. I didn't find it.

The plot was intriguing and kept me reading; in fact, it was probably the only reason why I kept reading. Some writers are able to seamlessly integrate characterization and good writing with a fast-moving plot; James Dashner is not one of them. The pacing is strange, and Dashner's use
Tatiana
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who look for a mediocre sci-fi/dystopia kind of read
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
This book would have been great IF:

1) the characters had some personality

2) the main character - Thomas - weren't such a Gary Stu and showed some character development and growth instead of conveniently "remembering" important information to advance the plot

3) the book weren't filled with atrocious made-up slang - "shuck-face," really, is this supposed to be cool?

4) the villains - Grievers - were actually scary or dangerous

5) the maze had some kind of mystery about it and not limited to moving w
Joe
You know how sometimes you're running really fast from a horrible creature and, in a moment of panic, you turn around to see how close it is only to run straight into a brick wall?

I don't know what that's like either.

But that inattention to detail would probably totally screw you over because a.) now you're knocked unconscious and b.) the creature is going to devour you. Good job.

I guess this is kind of like Lot's wife looking back on Sodom only to be turned into a pillar of salt.

And it is
Sparrow
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the ending of LOST
Q: if you could edit this book, what would you take out?
A: the words.

. . .

Have you ever had an eight-year-old kid try to describe to you winning a level of a video game? Have you ever had a middle-aged man try to describe to you completing the games section of the New York Times? Did those experiences involve multiple conversations like this:

“What is the maze?”
“Stop asking so many questions!”

I have to say that this book was more boring than having someone tell you in painful detail about winnin
Emily May
“You are the shuckiest shuck faced shuck in the world!”

2 1/2 stars.

It's funny how just a few years can change everything - your reading tastes, your expectations, your standards... because when I read The Maze Runner in early 2011, I enjoyed it a lot. It seemed fast-paced, exciting and a little scary. Plus, I thought the slang was a nice touch.

Three years and a million dystopian/sci-fi books later and everything about me has outgrown this book. It's not terrible. I can still see why someon
Etnik
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description

Okay so before I start I want to say something.I personally hesitated to read this book because I heard too many bad reviews and things about this book.But let me tell you something.Yeah it has it's problems like the written style but this book has one of the best story plots I have ever read about.And believe,once you get into the book,you will not care about the writing or anything else.I am seriously so angry I haven't read this book early and even more for listening or reading those really

Nataliya
The last page is turned and all I have to say is this: What for the love of all that's good and pure was this foolishness?

...Aaaaand ..... rant!
-----
When I'm sick - the snotty phlegmy febrile kind of sick - and my brain feels sizzlingly fried, I sometimes turn to easy reading "fluff" to give my neurons a break. Sometimes this strategy backfires and the 'fluffy' book actually tries to break my long-suffering brain cells with its sheer stupidity.

It's not even mediocre; mediocrity would be elevat
Cara
Oct 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who don't mind their brain getting twisted
Reading this book + No sleep= brain shock . Oh more like my brain was blown into freaking little bits. I kept thinking about it after I was done. I finished it into the late hours of the night and I kept circling in my head what was going to happen next. The point is moot but I am definitely going to read the sequel The Scorch Trials.

From the start as the reader we have NO idea what is happening. All Thomas can remember is his name. Not where he came from or any specific details of his life. Ne
Inge
EDIT 09/05/2013

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Holy crap, that looks perfect.

I am way better at writing reviews for books I hated, but I’m gonna give it a go anyway.

Okay. Breathe, Inge, breathe.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Oh, this is gooooood.

The Maze Runner was like a breath of fresh air to me. I needed a nice, clean cut from the typical YA books filled with whiny protagonists, insta-love and love triangles, and I got exactly what I asked for. This book is like a giant puzzle that you solve along with the characters. It is filled with unexpected t
Nic
May 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've just finished and all I can say is holy shuck! This book is awesome!

I was a little bit scared when I started this book that I wasn't going to like it as it is my first real dystopia/sci-fi book I've read. After about 110 pages it got to the point where I couldn't put it down for anything even while eating dinner I had it one hand and when bedtime came I wanted to stay up all night and read it.

The plot was fast paced, suspenseful and full of suprises. The twists and turns this book took sho
Heather
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
At first I was a bit put out with this book. I don’t know what it is about male authors, but they can be down right infuriating. Men truly do think on a different wave length and speak another language than women. I was becoming rather frustrated with the lack of information being given, and I wasn’t sure I would be able to endure that sort of aggravation for 300 plus pages. Luckily around page 60 or so, Dashner hit his stride and I became enthralled with this story.

It’s so difficult to write a
Mohammed Arabey
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As in Harry Potter Grades system, Exceed Expectations

Didn't expect I'd Like it that much. Easy fun thrilling read..Hard, Mysterious Dangerous Maze though..
الرواية فعلا فاقت توقعاتي..أولا اللغة سهلة جدا "يمكن أسرع رواية انجليزي أقرأها" يمكن لانها لفئة عمرية معينة
لكن بدأت تشدني جدا...تبدأ بأحداث غامضة وغريبة ثم ينكشف جزء بعد كل فصل لغاية ماتحس أنك متوقع كيف تنتهي...لكن تظل المفاجأت حتي أخر فصل..وأخر صفحة

أولا الموضوع
-----

ففي بداية الأحداث بيفوق بطل الرواية "توماس" ويلاقي نفسه في مكان غريب، ارض واسع
Wendy Darling
A premise full of promise, but after 150 pages, how can there still be no answers? Deliberately withholding information becomes frustrating not only for the protagonist, but for the reader as well. The fact that Thomas does not demand more answers from his fellow captives makes it difficult to sympathize with or care what happens to him. The spoilers for the book make it sound intriguing, but I can't wade through another 200 pages before it gets to the point.

Aside from a few physical difference
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*

Thomas comes to the maze in a box, he has no memories of anything other than his name. He learns that he is the "GreenBean" or the newest boy to arrive. They get arrivals once a month.

There's a ton of questions about how he got there and why there is a maze that has walls that move every night.

Then there are the Grievers. Which for the life of me I could not find scary. A machine-like slug? Pour some salt on that fucker.

The next day a girl arrives.

It throws the boys into an uproar. A GIRL! an
Brian Yahn
The Maze Runner is a masterfully plotted mystery. It's intriguing. It draws you in quick and then reveals details at just the right time to keep you turning the pages for more.

While many criticize the characters for being flat, which they are, Thomas and his fellow Maze Runners are at the very least likable. They play pranks, they crack jokes, they bond in inventive ways, and most importantly they're just fun in general. You can't help but like characters that are trapped in an almost literal He
May
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OOOOOOOH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOD
QUIERO MÁS. DIOS. INCREÍBLE. ADICTIVA. AAAHDEBRFTHNJ.
DASHNER CÁSATE CONMIGO. O MEJOR, THOMAS.

El corredor del laberinto es la primera parte de la tetralogía que lleva el mismo nombre. Es una novela cuya película salió el año pasado y que vi antes de leer el libro. Ahora que he leído el libro puedo decir que estoy fascinada con el mundo que ha creado el autor y que nadie puede morir sin leerlo.
Como comentaba, lo más fascinante de la saga es la ambien
Kate ♡
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
It's 1am, just finished this and it was aMAZEing, see what I did there ;)
Review to come!!

Review (more like gush):
Where do I even start this review...
Okay, so, The Maze Runner is absolutely incredible! I loved it so much!

This book instantly sucked me in, when I really just got it off my shelf to look at it! Haha, I had always been a bit hesitant to read this book, because I didn't think I'd like it much... Boy, was I wrong. I even broke a book-lover rule and saw the movie first, because I was nev
Ellie
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

Well. There was....well, first of all, I have to get a cup of water because I have a major headache.

*Goes to get cup of water*
*Returns*

Aah. Much better.

Okay, first second of all, my friend recommended this book. So I requested it, and (foolish me) left it lying on the table where I do my homework, in plain sight of my parents. Oops. So THEN my dad says, at dinner:
"Oh, Ellie, by the way--I borrowed that book of yours, Runner? Or something?"
*gulps nervously* "The Maze Runner?"
"Yeah, that's it.
mark monday
[oblique spoilers ahead]

A is for Apocalypse! A modern craze; a timeless fantasy. What shall bring us to this place? Can there be life after such an event? And if so… what kind of life would that be?

B is for Banzai! “Banzai” is a traditional Japanese exclamation meaning “ten thousand years”. A Banzai charge is a last, desperate charge.

C is for Cube! “Cube” is a 1997 film by Vincenzo Natali. The characters in this film are trapped in a kind of maze, and must pass from one cube-shaped room to a
Neal Shusterman
I enjoyed the Maze Runner, but not as much as I wanted to. It was a great concept, and the story was compelling, the characters and plot twists interesting, and there was no limit to Dashner’s creativity. My big problem was that the characters were manipulated by the story, and not the other way around.
There were so many times when the characters would have figured things out. They’re supposed to be brilliant kids, and yet they are continually clueless about things that are pretty obvious to th
Whitley Birks
Jun 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
See the chapter x chapter breakdown on my blog

As if the simplistic and "tell-y" writing in this book weren't bad enough, we also have to content with some truly atrocious pacing, inconsistent characterization, logic gaps out the wazoo, a Gary Stu of a main character, and an ending that kicks this book up into whole new levels of WTFery.

The majority of this book is people jealously withholding information that gets revealed a few chapters later, which makes it painfully obvious that all the not-t
Forrest
Preamble: I apologize up front about the spoilers in this review. They are hidden, but if you don't want to know some of the spoilers, don't click on them! Fair warning!

Review: I read this at the encouragement of one of my kids, who dearly loves this book. So let me state right up front, buddy, I'm glad you loved this book. Now I'm going to express my opinion. Please remember that we're all allowed to have our opinions, even if mine is wrong.

Now, I didn't hate The Maze Runner by any means. But
Ariel
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My experience with this book turned out to be a unique one: for most of the book I was thinking that it had some redeeming ideas but that it just wasn't good enough, but the last third really turned everything around. Let's discuss.

I bought this book over a year ago because of the Dystopia craze.. having read so much dystopia though, I wasn't able to pick it up. It's been a while though, and I picked it up at a time where I was excited for it which turned out for the best.

I was first stricken wi
Clau R.
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHAT DID JUST--- OMG.
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
Okay so I saw the movie when it came to dvd and I loved it, but here is the faces I got when I said I hadn't read the book yet ↓

I know right? I loved the book. I will say I watched the second movie and didn't like it but I'm going to keep on with the books and see.

Welcome To The Maze!

Imagine, if you will, you wake up in some elevator thing and you have no idea what is going on or your past. You just end up in some place with a bunch of dudes that are calling you greenie until the next person c
Cait • A Page with a View
I don't say this often, but I actually liked the movie waaaay more. The plots are pretty similar!

If I hadn't seen the movie, I don't think I would've had a strong sense of the characters or connected to very much in the book. The premise is interesting, but the movie pulls you in way more.

This book was a really fast read, though! I was surprised at how quickly events were happening... like "oh wow we're at that part of the story already?!"

Basically, I went into this without a ton of expectatio
sana  °¤°
Dec 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: d-n-f
I DNF this like 5 pages in.

No joke fams
Natalie Monroe
THIS. This is how you write a special snowflake without him turning into a Gary Stu. Or make me want to claw my eyes out.

Thomas, the MC, suddenly shows up in an isolated place/society with no memory of his family or friends. The only thing he can remember is his name. Turns out he's inside a place called the Maze and most its male occupants have been here for two years, trying to find a way out while forging a living for themselves.

It's not easy though. The walls of the Maze shift every night a
Cait (Paper Fury)
I'm still absolutely blown away. THIS BOOK IS FREAKING BRILLIANT. Seriously, I ate it in a day. Just ONE DAY.

Dystopians and me have a love/hate relationship. I love them, but I'm tired of the monotony. This breaks dystopian cliches and just zooms into more of a survival state. And it actually goes for character development.

Thomas is the narrator and...ah, Thomas. His only issue, I think, is that he was too perfect. He was brave to the millionth degree and kind of self-sacrificing. So whil
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
You know the moment you are reading a book and you are hooked? You NEED to know what is going on....you are desperate. Your heart starts pounding, you can't breathe easily, you are gasping for air, anxiety takes hold of you, and you are on the edge of your seat? Please tell me that I am not the only one....although that does sound mildly reminsicent of my asthma attack last year at kickboxing class...but I digress. This crazy edge of my seat, NEED TO KNOW NOW experience was how I felt about this ...more
  • Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, and Raven (Delirium, #0.5, #1.5, #2.5)
  • Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
  • Solitary (Escape from Furnace, #2)
  • Horde (Razorland, #3)
  • Ashen Winter (Ashfall, #2)
  • Starclimber (Matt Cruse, #3)
  • Unwind (Unwind, #1)
  • The Other Life (The Other Life, #1)
  • Fear (Gone, #5)
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • Prodigy (Legend, #2)
  • The Dead (The Enemy, #2)
  • Sapphique (Incarceron, #2)
  • The Legacy (The Declaration, #3)
  • Grace
James is the author of THE MAZE RUNNER trilogy and THE 13TH REALITY series. He also published a series (beginning with A DOOR IN THE WOODS) with a small publisher several years ago. He lives and writes in the Rocky Mountains.
More about James Dashner...

The Maze Runner (6 books)
  • The Kill Order (Maze Runner, #0.5)
  • The Fever Code (The Maze Runner, #0.6)
  • The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2)
  • Thomas’s First Memory of the Flare (Maze Runner, #2.5)
  • The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3)
“If you ain’t scared… you ain’t human.” 1782 likes